closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday in France?

Holiday in France?

We were thinking we might actually get away this summer to a French campsite. There's availability on the campsites and on the Eurotunnel. So far, so good.

Then I remember my passport expires soon. A quick check and it expires in September and we plan to return on 31 August. OK, a bit close but a quick check says it should be fine.

Then I look at any actual travel restrictions that might be in place:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

And these particular paragraphs:

Entry to France

From 15 June 2020, travellers arriving in France from the UK and wider European Area (EU, Andorra, Holy See, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland) are no longer required to demonstrate their travel is essential or hold an international travel certificate.

Quarantine requirements

Arrivals from the UK and from outside the wider European Area (listed above) are asked to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival in mainland France. This does not apply to arrivals from within the wider European Area. Full details and a list of exemptions to self-quarantine in France are set out in a Ministry of Interior press statement (in French) and its translation (in English).

Travellers showing signs of a COVID-19 infection upon arrival in mainland France will have to carry out a mandatory 14 day quarantine at home or in a dedicated location indicated by the French authorities if home quarantine is not feasible.

Does this mean we are obliged to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival, or are only being asked politely to self-isolate? And why does the gov.uk site say it only applies to those from the UK and outside the EU, but that doesn't seem to be what the French Government statement is saying?

I'm just a little confused
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 7th July 2020 at 22:24.

Looks like you can go to France for camping but have to self isolate for 14 days on arrival - but don’t have to self isolate when you get back to the UK.

Master
    Difficult one to decipher.
    I would have thought we would have heard a lot more about it if there were restrictions on UK travellers on entering France(a bit like Greece at the moment.)
    Good for you gettimg on with it .

Craftsman
    Think you should be ok. Friends of mine have just driven to Dover and got the ferry across to France. Straight in, no messing about. Currently driving towards Belgium on the beer hunt 👍🏻🍺

I've just read the statement on the French MoI website and it states this

Travelers coming from the inside of the European space (European Union member states [except Spain], Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Holy See), will not be subject to any sanitary measures if they show no symptoms of a COVID-19 infection.

It seems the 14 day self-isolation was a reciprocal rule for any country that put that stipulation on travellers from France, but as that has now been lifted by the UK government I assume the rule has equally been lifted for visitors from the UK.

It also seems that there is a self-certification attestation that must be completed, by you, which must be shown to the transport company (Ferry, Eurostar, etc) and which must be carried with you.

The form is a pdf in French or a Word doc in English, you can download it on this page

https://www.immigration.interieur.go...t-et-de-voyage

This is the English version

https://www.immigration.interieur.go...europe-en.docx

Surprised you’re worrying about any rules TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    And there she blows..... (again)

Thanks to everyone for the relevant replies.

Why does our Government find it so difficult to provide accurate, up to date information? Everything’s left open to interpretation and some people can get their knickers in a right old twist.

We’re still undecided, but I would love to be mooching about, fishing, walking and cycling in the French countryside right now.

There are no restrictions for people coming from UK to France. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...Azyq2tR0lT2otY

FCO restrictive advice also lifted, so Travel insurance is now also valid.
    Last edited by blackal; 8th July 2020 at 05:56.

Thumbs up

I went to Canada last year and seem to remember some small print about not travelling out with a passport that had less than 3 or 6 months to run ????
    So renewed it anyway even though it should still have been valid on return
    This MAY have been a Canadian requirement but worth a check...

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I went to Canada last year and seem to remember some small print about not travelling out with a passport that had less than 3 or 6 months to run ????
    So renewed it anyway even though it should still have been valid on return
    This MAY have been a Canadian requirement but worth a check...
    Once UK is out of the "Exit EU Transition phase" (end of this year) - then unless a new agreement is made with the EU re: passport validity, then YES - YOU WILL REQUIRE AT LEAST 3M VALIDITY REMAINING.

We are okay in EU just now.

Holiday in France?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Once UK is out of the "Exit EU Transition phase" (end of this year) - then unless a new agreement is made with the EU re: passport validity, then YES - YOU WILL REQUIRE AT LEAST 3M VALIDITY REMAINING.

We are okay in EU just now.
    Says 6 months here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport...e-after-brexit though not our rule and I believe EU says 3 as you say.

Blog Entries
    My Canadian In-laws (in their mid 80s) 'escaped from Alcatraz': they drove from the Alicante area in Spain to The Netherlands last weekend. Spanish lockdown was far more serious than our northern countries had/have to endure, so they ran from it as soon as possible.

Anyway, the trip From Spain up north was easy as can be. Their main concern were the service stations along the Route to the north. Most are open for business and they (my in-laws) considered those stations to be a possible hotspot of contamination so it was only a quick refill and away they went. They made it a 3-day-2-nights trip and had to stay in two hotels. They'd called both to ensure that they were open for business. Apparently, not all are open.

I've read an article in a Dutch newspaper about Dutch pensionados on a French camping-site. They have the grounds all to themselves. A former bank manager and his wife in a large camper van estimated that the camping-site was only filled with 5% of the normal amount of people. Surely, this will change during the school holidays.
    Last edited by thieuster; 8th July 2020 at 08:10.

There are no restrictions for people coming from UK to France. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...Azyq2tR0lT2otY

FCO restrictive advice also lifted, so Travel insurance is now also valid.
    Except...

Arrivals from the UK and some other countries are asked to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival in mainland France
    See Entry requirements for more information before you plan to travel.

Then the Entry requirements link takes me back to the information from my first post. So it’s still not clear from gov.uk if we have to self-isolate or not?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Except...

Arrivals from the UK and some other countries are asked to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival in mainland France
    See Entry requirements for more information before you plan to travel.

Then the Entry requirements link takes me back to the information from my first post. So it’s still not clear from gov.uk if we have to self-isolate or not?
    Rely on the French source per SimonK above.

Banned
    Interesting thread as I’m thinking of going on a driving holiday for the first time and France seems to be the obvious choice. Was thinking of driving to the south of France over 2 days, spend a week there and drive back leisurely. It seems hard to know exactly what’s going on as things are changing daily.

Blog Entries
    I wonder: why make the success of your holiday so dependable on the interpretation of (vague) rules?

Added to that: authorities are monitoring the outbreak and more and more areas in Europa are 'back to square one' with new lock-downs.
    Last edited by thieuster; 8th July 2020 at 11:28.

We have plans to go to France in August, but everything is indeed up in the air as the situation changes almost daily. For the moment it is safe and uncomplicated. I expect it to change, possibly several times in both countries in the next 5 weeks.
    We are lucky as if we can go but cannot return as planned, we can just stay out there, working from home and little one on online schooling. But we'll need to get there first.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

A bit more reading around seems to indicate that the quarantine rule on entering France is, as SimonK says, a reciprocal measure for other nations imposing a 14-day quarantine on people arriving from France.

It's expected that when the UK lifts its 14-day rule for those entering the UK from the 'corridor' countries, as of 10 July, that France will follow suit and lift its own 14-day restriction.

I guess the message is, watch this space.

I'll be checking media sources for vital information from now on rather than using our own Government's 'chocolate fireguard' website.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I wonder: why make the success of your holiday so dependable on the interpretation of (vague) rules?

Added to that: authorities are monitoring the outbreak and more and more areas in Europa are 'back to square one' with new lock-downs.
    Which is exactly why I'm trying to get as much info as I can before we commit to anything. The trouble is, an awful lot of places are starting to sell out in the UK so I thought France might be a sensible option, with plenty of open spaces, fewer crowds and easy to get there in the car.

A few weeks ago we were resigned to not doing anything this year, then there was a glimmer of hope, but it really is only a glimmer. Until schools officially break up and people actually start travelling, it's hard to know what to expect.

We are heading for the Netherlands in a few weeks via Eurotunnel, France & Belgium.

As things currently stand (and completely understanding that that can change at any point) we don't expect any issues travelling out or back.

Craftsman
    My elderly in laws returned to France from the UK on Sunday via the tunnel. They drove from Gloucester to Folkstone, onto the tunnel train and then to the south coast of France. They did not have to fill in any forms at the terminal or on arrival in France and were not stopped or questioned about their visit by any of the authorities. They drove not stop for 18 hours to their home (where they spend half of the year) and had no issues to report on the journey.

We are booked onto a Brittany Ferries boat from Portsmouth on Saturday. We are traveling to Rennes and then onto the Ile de Re for 2 weeks where we'll be camping. Campsites are open for business.

Like many, I have found it difficult to drill down to the exact advice but I'm basing my decision on this -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53249747

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9571111.html

From the independent article - 'However, from 10 July, travellers can enter England from France without needing to quarantine – and it is likely that France will also drop the self-isolation period for Brits in response'.

Whilst the rules don't appear to be 'written in stone' at the moment I am at the point where having paid for all of my holidays, etc and will not be able to get a refund on any of it. We are in good health and do not feel at risk so are going to give it a go!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    We are heading for the Netherlands in a few weeks via Eurotunnel, France & Belgium.

As things currently stand (and completely understanding that that can change at any point) we don't expect any issues travelling out or back.
    Welcome! Things are pretty laid-back here at the moment. 1.5 meter distance is the mantra here. Take a handful of face masks with you in your pockets. In general: use them when using public transport. Just PM me if you need help or suggestions for your holiday.

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    Simon Calder is in France now see BBC.

I wouldn't travel with my passport about to run out?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Before 31st Dec you would have no issues at all within the EU.

If you were stuck in a EU country for longer, the British Embassy would help you. You would not be allowed in with an invalid passport but you would be allowed to live back to Blighty
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Before 31st Dec you would have no issues at all within the EU.
    Why’s that then, something happen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A bit more reading around seems to indicate that the quarantine rule on entering France is, as SimonK says, a reciprocal measure for other nations imposing a 14-day quarantine on people arriving from France.

It's expected that when the UK lifts its 14-day rule for those entering the UK from the 'corridor' countries, as of 10 July, that France will follow suit and lift its own 14-day restriction. Simple.

I guess the message is, watch this space.

I'll be checking media sources for vital information from now on rather than using our own Government's 'chocolate fireguard' website.
    What we said. Check the MoI site for our/their current instruction. Simple.

Master
    we have to go to in late July or August - Brittany Ferries as usual - not looking forward to it

Once they all flood into SW France it's obvious that CV-19 will spread

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    we have to go to in late July or August - Brittany Ferries as usual - not looking forward to it

But it has never got to SWF in the first instance. Virtually zero cases in the 24/87 area. So visitors, Jfo.
    Last edited by Skyman; 8th July 2020 at 21:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    But it have never got to SWF in the first instance. Virtually zero cases in the 24/87 area. Do visitors, Jfo.
    That's what my neighbours keep telling me - but when the summer "visitors" arrive it may be a different case - we are in 33

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post

Yeah, best stay at home..............

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

Don't go then, are you any different?

Don't go then, are you any different?
    Where are going this year? Glumsville?

Where are going this year? Glumsville?
    Bagolaughs County

My pair of scouse stalkers!

I'm sure that deep down....you are the life and soul of the party !!

Craftsman
    My wife (who’s French) and our 2 children are flying to France on Friday for 4 weeks and she’s been monitoring the situation closely. There is no self isolate on arrival or returning home to Scotland...currently that of course could all change over the course of the next 4 weeks.

The camp sites are indeed very quiet currently as it’s mostly other European neighbours who drive to them the Dutch and German being the majority but that is expected to change soon according to my brother in law who manages one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    My wife (who’s French) and our 2 children are flying to France on Friday for 4 weeks and she’s been monitoring the situation closely. There is no self isolate on arrival or returning home to Scotland...currently that of course could all change over the course of the next 4 weeks.

The camp sites are indeed very quiet currently as it’s mostly other European neighbours who drive to them the Dutch and German being the majority but that is expected to change soon according to my brother in law who manages one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s interesting - I thought the places were filling up already. A pal who has gone over to Brittany says the supermarkets are crawling with Brits, and the ferry/tunnel slots are full (okay - ferries are running at lower capacity).
    When you look at bookings - they are all pretty much full (on sites), but I guess those could be legacy bookings, made pre-covid, which have remained booked (with deposits/full payment taken).

I think it will still be pretty busy in France, just perhaps a bit down on usual.

I’ll maybe see about a stay a bit later when the bookings are a bit clearer.

Remind me who stalked who again?

That’s interesting - I thought the places were filling up already. A pal who has gone over to Brittany says the supermarkets are crawling with Brits, and the ferry/tunnel slots are full (okay - ferries are running at lower capacity).
    When you look at bookings - they are all pretty much full (on sites), but I guess those could be legacy bookings, made pre-covid, which have remained booked (with deposits/full payment taken).

I think it will still be pretty busy in France, just perhaps a bit down on usual.

I’ll maybe see about a stay a bit later when the bookings are a bit clearer.
    Many Frenchies are taking their holidays in France this year rather than go to Portugal, Spain, Crete, etc., so the gîtes and houses to rent in the popular destinations - Var, Lotte, Dordogne, Basque Country and so on are already full. Funnily enough some of my friends and clients have taken to booking on UK websites - cheznous.com, homeaway.co.uk for example, where there is still availbility.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Many Frenchies are taking their holidays in France this year rather than go to Portugal, Spain, Crete, etc., so the gîtes and houses to rent in the popular destinations - Var, Lotte, Dordogne, Basque Country and so on are already full. Funnily enough some of my friends and clients have taken to booking on UK websites - cheznous.com, homeaway.co.uk for example, where there is still availbility.
    Yes her indoors being French was desperate to go to France, in the end after much searching we managed to get a cancellation of a gite in Provence, but it was tough to find anything. All a bit of gamble at the time but the Eurotunnel was bookable and the quarantine restrictions have been lifted so good to go. Simon, your links were very useful and her indoors has also been on other sites so looks like we are good, few forms to fill in but I will be amazed if anyone actually checks.

Hopefully will be giving Ventoux a go on the bike if everything remains good

Blog Entries
    On a cross channel ferry as I type… It’s dead

Most people are in masks (some have them wrapped round their necks!)…

Booked into a delightful restaurant in Burgundy tonight :-)

Welcome! Things are pretty laid-back here at the moment. 1.5 meter distance is the mantra here. Take a handful of face masks with you in your pockets. In general: use them when using public transport. Just PM me if you need help or suggestions for your holiday.

Menno
    Thanks for the offer. I think we're sorted for the holiday.

We're staying in the SE (nr Roermond) for the first four days, 11 of us in an 18person house on a 'Recreatiepark'. It was booked long before Covid but two sets of aunts/uncles have chosen not to stay for health reasons (but will pop over for day visits) so we now have enough space in the house for the new rules. Whether our 16 year old kids will be able to stay 1.5 metres away from their cousins (between 4 and 8 years old) who they haven't seen since November is yet to be determined. For all practical purposes, once the door is closed we're all one big family.

The last three days we're staying in an AirBNB on the Uigeestermeer (that we've stayed at before) close to other family.

I guess it's a fuel and loo stop nr Breda then driving through Belgium without stopping then...

Blog Entries
    I guess it's a fuel and loo stop nr Breda then driving through Belgium without stopping then...
    Best thing to do, indeed. You’re not going to that part, but just avoid Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Together they have 50% of all Dutch COVID-contamination.

The social distance here is 1.5 mtr/5 ft. When you’re not sure: wear a face mask.

New rule since last Thursday: like in Germany, guests attending a restaurant etc need to leave their name etc with the restaurant owner in case of a Covid-outbreak. You’ll be easier to trace. Suggestion: make that list in advance on an excel-sheet. Name, address, email and phone + current whereabouts in Holland. When booking a spot in a restaurant, you’ll make it easier and faster for all involved.

Blog Entries
    Going on holiday in the middle of a pandemic.
    What could possibly go wrong....
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Best thing to do, indeed. You’re not going to that part, but just avoid Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Together they have 50% of all Dutch COVID-contamination.

The social distance here is 1.5 mtr/5 ft. When you’re not sure: wear a face mask.

New rule since last Thursday: like in Germany, guests attending a restaurant etc need to leave their name etc with the restaurant owner in case of a Covid-outbreak. You’ll be easier to trace. Suggestion: make that list in advance on an excel-sheet. Name, address, email and phone + current whereabouts in Holland. When booking a spot in a restaurant, you’ll make it easier and faster for all involved.
    Yep, we're in Uitgeest at the moment and would normally nip into Amsterdam while we're here but will give it a miss this time.
    We ate out last night and the restaurant had a welcome station outside with hand sanitiser and a sheet to fill in with contact details and 'Covid Symptomen? Ja/Nee'. I was reassured that everyone who had checked in before us had circled 'Nee'.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Well, it all depends...........

We went over on 9th July for two weeks in the Provence Alps. Stayed in 2 locations, and went out each day for a motorbike ride.

Looking around at the other holidaymakers (lots from Holland, Belgium, Germany - and of course French) - it all seemed pretty safe, with the highest risk being eating in bistros, and river rafting where groups are huddled together. We sat in the evening, with bellies full of BBQ and beer, and realised that our holiday only differed from previous years - in that we ate out less, and we wore masks in supermarkets.

There were some restaurants/auberges which hadn’t opened, but the rest of the campsites, gites, lake-sports seemed to be well populated. I guess the type of holiday there lends itself to the precautions in place in Europe (and U.K.)

Blog Entries
    Nothing in my case either…. Had a lovely time

We were careful and observed all the rules and invested t a few euros to a flagging economy…

Went away this week too to Suffolk and stayed at a lovely place and enjoyed seaside walks Southwold and Aldeburgh…. There were plenty of people about, but, in the main distancing was maintained

At some point we need to venture out and do things….

A very valid point.

Even when we can see it gradually building again through Europe (just like a few months ago!), and that it was people moving between countries that spread it, someone decided that they must have a holiday???

I suspect that history books will look back and wonder what on Earth people were thinking.