closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another car thread - Estate Car under 3k recommendations

Another car thread - Estate Car under 3k recommendations

Hi all,

Apologies for another boring car thread As some may know I'm heading back to university as a full time mature student (48) in September to commence a PhD studentship. As a result my finances will be shot for at least the next 3 years, assuming I can stick the pace.

Therefore I'd like to get a decent diesel estate to see me through the duration of the course. My reason for an estate car is that I coach football, drop my son off and pick him up with his mountain bike, I'm also keen to return to cycling myself and get the whole family involved; wife, daughter and son. We live near some nice fire trial tracks. I currently have a 2007 Audi TT 2.0 litre TFSI and a 1995 Toyota Hilux Surf 4.0 litre petrol V8 Lexus conversion (see sales corner), I'll edit this thread after typing to submit a link. In January I had not applied for the PhD and and did not have my current coaching role the TT was ample for me. I had planned to refurb the Toyota over the summer (alternator currently getting refurbed) hopefully good to go shortly, but being furloughed and getting the studentship have nipped that in the bud. Wife has an 2014 Hyundai IX35 that we use for family journeys.

I also like older cars and in particular like the look of the Audi A6 Avant and BMW 5 Touring. I'm told to that Audi engines 1.9 TDi after 2005 should be avoided, but I'm too up in my cars to know weather this is correct of not and I'm not sure about the BMW, my last one was a 2004 E46 coupe 2.2 Litre straight six. Therefore I know nothing about the diesels. Anyway I hope to keep the TT as a classic, this may not be practical with insurance and tax.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend, funnily I like Citreon's as they always appear innovative. But would feel I would really like the A6....

One last thing, happy enough to jump on a plane to get 'across the water' and bring her home as prices on the 'mainland' are usually better and the service histories seem to be more comprehensive.

Thanks in advance.

Pictures from Autotrader...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Volvo V70 2.4
    You’re welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    As a result my finances will be shot for at least the next 3 years, assuming I can stick the pace.
    At the bar? I would avoid. It'll be full of freshers.

As for the car, have you considered a Honda Accord?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Volvo V70 2.4
    You’re welcome.
    Thanks Dave, yes definitely not adverse to a Volvo, although I've never owned one. Any pitfalls ??

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    At the bar? I would avoid. It'll be full of freshers.

As for the car, have you considered a Honda Accord?
    A friend has one and loves it, so a good call sir, thank you

I compared the A6 boot (my dad's car) with my Skoda Superb, and it was a joke how little the Audi could carry using the same architecture.
    And the rear room for passengers in the Skoda is epic, you can genuinely fit a 6'4" person in the rear behind another one sat in the front seat, both in total comfort.
    Cheaper, with the same power plants, for a run of the mill estate the Skoda beats the Audi on almost every metric apart from brand snobbery.
    Dave

I’d also recommend a Skoda, and would go petrol personally.

Mazda 6 estate.

Super reliable in petrol guise (diesels can be a bit more problematic), plenty of space and easy folding rear seats.

Mine's getting on for 11 years old and doesn't have one rattle or squeak. Only trouble I've had was a seized rear caliper and a new battery.

£3k should get you a decent MKII from 2008 onwards.

Last of the old shape Volvo V70s, ideally 2.4 or D5 diesels, and crucially manual. You may have to go slightly above budget, but they’re bombproof, capable of interstellar mileage and will be easy to sell on when time comes. They go up to 2007, buy the best condition/spec you can afford. Example : https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...02006280609063

I’ve had both Audi A6 and Skoda Superb estates for company cars, I’ve also ran a Volvo XC90 D5 for 9 years and 100K miles without a glitch. For this budget, I’d go for a Volvo every time.

Master
    First why diesel, if you plan to do less than 20k a year don't even think about it. Statistically you're total costs will be higher with diesel factoring high value maintenance items like DMFs and DPFs.

I find SAABs always seem to be the most bang for your buck; you’ll get a very good late one for £3k.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    First why diesel, if you plan to do less than 20k a year don't even think about it. Statistically you're total costs will be higher with diesel factoring high value maintenance items like DMFs and DPFs.
    Not if you go for one before DPFs were introduced. Hence my <2007 Volvo D5 recommendation.

Vauxhall insignia - cheap to run - still looks good

I'm a little surprised no-one has mentioned a Toyota Avensis estate.

The D4D engines are almost bullet proof. The 1.8 petrol is also very frugal.

Yes. They are boring. But less boring than some of the bills you might get with a 10+ year old Audi/BMW/Volvo.

And they were the mini cab drivers favourite before the Prius came along. So waiting outside a train station may often result in strangers letting themselves into the back...

Master
    Subaru Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post

The D4D engines are almost bullet proof.
    Agreed, owned a 2004 Avensis D4D for 10 years as my main car. Super reliable but very bland, it was my 10 year old son at the time told me to get rid as it was running his image at the school run. And my 23 year old 4x4 at the time was even more embarrassing to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Cheers, last year I only did about 3,000 as had the wife’s car at weekends. But I’d like to try and keep the miles down on it and use estate car for weekend drives and pursuits. But no objections to petrol, however I do like the torque of diesel and prefer the feel of diesel. But cutting my bills is the main aim of the game for the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’d also recommend a Skoda, and would go petrol personally.
    No objection to Skoda at all?, although they do hold their price well here, I find anyway so the Audi not too much more expensive.

Thanks all for your help, it’s very much appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Subaru Legacy?
    Now you are talking. A wee bit thirsty though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Volvo V70 2.4
    You’re welcome.
    Or a 940 for more old school cool

Master
    Honda Civic tourer , stunning 1.6 Diesel engine and cavernous interior. I have slept in my old one a number of nights. Hondas “ cinema” style rear seats are also excellent allowing a bicycle to be stored sideways behind the front seats.

Master
    If you want something you can chuck bikes in the back of then get a people carrier.
    Seat Alhambra 130pd tdi is a cracking car and dirt cheap, handles surprisingly well and engine is strong. Take the seats you don’t need out and it’s absolutely no problem to get 2 or more bikes in the back.
    If you really have to have an estate then the only thing I can say is avoid Japanese diesels, they are miles behind euro diesels I had an accord diesel estate and it was shockingly bad, spent thousands on the engine and it blew through clutches in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an A4 Avant TDI 1.9, before they moved to the newer 2.0 TDI the following year. Apparently the 1.9 is the more reliable, but I couldn’t say - I’ve never had an issue with it, and simply change the oil every 5,000 miles (that’s about a years worth of driving as I use a few different cars/bikes), and it’s never missed a beat yet. I’ve thought many times about changing it for something more modern but it’s our leave anywhere car, and it won’t die; plus it’s been super cheap reliable motoring, and almost everything is simple to do diy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I find SAABs always seem to be the most bang for your buck; you’ll get a very good late one for £3k.
    Agree. And they are fun to drive.

+1 for Toyota Avensis D4D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Vauxhall insignia - cheap to run - still looks good
    Neighbour has one, couldn’t be a copy cat...

Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Subaru Legacy?
    Had one before, super heavy and very thirsty as stated below.. love the styling though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Now you are talking. A wee bit thirsty though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I have an A4 Avant TDI 1.9, before they moved to the newer 2.0 TDI the following year. Apparently the 1.9 is the more reliable, but I couldn’t say - I’ve never had an issue with it, and simply change the oil every 5,000 miles (that’s about a years worth of driving as I use a few different cars/bikes), and it’s never missed a beat yet. I’ve thought many times about changing it for something more modern but it’s our leave anywhere car, and it won’t die; plus it’s been super cheap reliable motoring, and almost everything is simple to do diy.
    Yes, I’ve been advised to do for the 1.9TDi as its a ‘tougher’ engine and the 2.0 TDi is a bit ‘softer.’ My friend’s son-in-law set up his own Audi independent mechanical workshop and apparently that’s how he feels, as does a guy I know who drives Audi’s, but again I’m not qualified to know / tell.
    Last edited by Guz; 7th July 2020 at 22:53.

I used to have a 1.9tdi (110bhp) A4. It was superb, it felt over engineered. One of the best cars I’ve ever had.

(I prefer my Legacy 3.0R Spec B though )

Craftsman
    Do not, whatever you do, buy a 9-3 1.9TiD 150hp.

This is a Fiat engine, and is the most unreliable motor it has been my misfortune to own. I owned one of these and in about 50k miles, it went through 2 DPF’s and 2 sets of swirl valves. The first of both were replaced under warranty but the 2nd were at my cost. Never again!

Guess that explains why they’re cheap!

Bought this 1.9tdi Skoda Octavia estate last July, think it had around 100k on the clock but the previous owner (vicar) just threw money at it, recent clutch and dual mass flywheel, timing belt and a list of service bills and small odd jobs, it goes really well, very comfortable, can fit a small island in the back when the back seats are down, all round a great everyday car that has so far (touch wood) served me well and all for £1600..

Also the servicing is super cheap as I just buy all the filters/oil through eurocarparts and do it myself, very easy and normally costs around £40..

^^^^ Looks very clean and definitely something I would consider. IMO they (Skoda) seem to sell for a premium in N.Ireland, not sure if our local members would agree but prices are strong here for them. Very popular with our private taxi companies,

When.buying an older cheaper car, you should expect quite a big expenses for Audi or BMW. For an estate diesel, I would definetely recommend VW Golf or Skoda. With a newer 1.6 liter or an older 1.9tdi (105ps) you should be fine. Reliable engines (1st gen of 2.0 tdi with pumpe duse had issues but newer with common rail are OK). But, be careful when checking them or mileage, better to pay some extra for a serviced car then take a risk and buying from a 3rd or 4th owner.

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Master
    This is in budget and might be worth a shout but I’d have them mot it first.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01912125284963

Mot check here:
    https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Over budget, but what a wonderful place to spend time and likely to be fairly depreciation proof...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124250497694?ul_noapp=true

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I have an A4 Avant TDI 1.9, before they moved to the newer 2.0 TDI the following year. Apparently the 1.9 is the more reliable, but I couldn’t say - I’ve never had an issue with it, and simply change the oil every 5,000 miles
    That’s the main thing, oil changes. VAG had a problem with some of the 1.9 tdi engines about 2005/7 they threw rods and made big holes in the block. I’m sure it was the bottom end bearing not getting enough oil.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Have you checked the prices in GB? Are there savings to be made once you factor in both crossings? What about in the Republic?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I had a Honda Accord estate (2005) with the 2.4 petrol vtec engine and auto box...massive, loads of shove and surprisingly frugal on a run...those 2.4 engines are superb...only issues I heard of was the rear hatch auto door mechanism sometimes being a bit iffy but typical Honda an on and on and on
    Last edited by Ellietwed; 8th July 2020 at 20:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post

The D4D engines are almost bullet proof. The 1.8 petrol is also very frugal.

Yes. They are boring. But less boring than some of the bills you might get with a 10+ year old Audi/BMW/Volvo.

And they were the mini cab drivers favourite before the Prius came along. So waiting outside a train station may often result in strangers letting themselves into the back...

Ah, the Avensis, I had one as a company car for a while, me and my mates called it, The Eventless..... Dullest car I have ever had, perfectly capable, but so so dull.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    I had a Honda Accord estate (2005) with the 2.4 vtec engine and auto box...massive, loads of shove and surprisingly frugal on a run...those 2.4 engines are superb...only issues I heard of was the rear hatch auto door mechanism sometimes being a bit iffy but typical Honda an on and on and on
    Honda's petrol engines are impeccable but their 2.2 i-ctdi was a dog, cracking exhaust manifolds, bad injectors, dmf and dpf issues. Similarly the Toyota / Lexus 2.2 diesel is regarded as a 'bad' engine for similar reasons.
    From my time with a VAG 1.9 TDI iirc the sweet spot is the 130bhp version, uprated internals and turbo from the 150 but with a lower tune so it lasts forever. I had the 115 and it did need a new turbo at 80k miles but that was it for normal stuff beyond servicing etc. I also had an expensive top end rebuild done but that was my fault for driving it with a busted water pump which warped the head. Other than that it was a really strong engine and was still going strong at 160k miles, the rest of the car was a wreck but I used it for deliveries as a working vehicle every day so not a surprise or an average indicator.

Master
    - was what I was going to post. 9-5 estate.

A mate of mine recently bought a saab estate one careful lady owner and his inlaws liked it so much they bought it off him and he bought another more sporty one

both @ 3K low mileage and FSH

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    A mate of mine recently bought a saab estate one careful lady owner and his inlaws liked it so much they bought it off him and he bought another more sporty one

both @ 3K low mileage and FSH
    Thanks everyone for their replies, I really appreciate it. Wife had a petrol 93 vector convertible for years, solid, thirsty and a lovely drive. As it happens a Saab independent specialist maintained it and literally lives about 3 streets away from me; think I’ll pop round sometime over the weekend to see him ;-)

In the meantime I’m getting my 1995 Hilux alternator fitted today after being away from a refurb. I’ll pop a video on later when she’s up and running..

Thanks all..