closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What Car's True mpg Test

Blog Entries

What Car's True mpg Test

Glad to see they have introduced the new more accurate figures, even if some are still a fair bit out - but when a car previously stated over 70mpg, but can hardly get close to 50, like a few of the superminis then something had to be done.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Link not working for me.

Grand Master
    The old (pre 2018) figures were a bit of a joke, way too optimistic in my experience.

What none of these tests replicate is the effect of driving up and down hill! The heavier the car the thirstier it will be under such conditions.....ye cannae change the laws of physics!

My Jag XF 3.0 diesel will nudge 40mpg on a longish run on flat roads, drive it in a hilly area and it'll struggle to do 30. The car's an auto and it weighs 1800kg, so it's hardly surprising.

If you don`t do much mileage its better to ignore fuel consumption and simply buy a car you like and enjoy. My wife's Focus automatic is thirsty because it does mostly short runs, but we like the car so we don`t worry too much about it. If we were both driving 30+ miles/day it would be different!

A true MPG test would be to get say five people to drive the same journey and take the average, anything else is lies and marketing

Master

Journeyman
    Useful info