closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inheritance / heirloom watch suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    "Heirloom" is not a criteria. It's something that's handed down.

Buy what you want, wear what you want, and that's that.

I would advise that you stop trying to force real life into some weird pastiche of a Patek adertisement, where you don a turtleneck and designer stubble and lovingly hand your 7ft Swiss banker son a pristine dress watch by the fire.

If your fave watch is a diver, so be it. Unless your kid is a real knob it's unlikely he'll say "Piss off dad, this isn't an HEIRLOOM WATCH".
    No desire to start an argument on the internet when all I was looking for was suggestions from people more familiar with brands product lines than I am, but your response seems disproportionately aggressive and patronising (apologies if I'm reading in more to this than was intended)

I guess thanks for the input. I got those points from your previous posts and that was partly why, in the post you just quoted, I said in hindsight I should have titled it differently, and focussed on the specific attributes of watch I'm looking for rather than looking for a critique of my level of brainwashing by advertising

Just also to touch on your previous post about my grandfather's pocket watch - I obviously wasn't there, but do know how he came to acquire it and that context appeals to me as much as the watch itself, together I think they are great
    Do I think he purchased it with the intention of passing it on to his family and it being aesthetically pleasing for future generations? Probably not but who knows
    What I do know though is that it marked a milestone in his life and that makes it even more special to me - and is not something I can really say about any of my current watches

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I would definitely take time to have a look at the Breitlings in the metal, you're right that the dial on the Top Time is a bit funky but I think some of the others have a real classic look to them. Always catches my eye when I see them in a shop window. Violates your no date rule though!

I doubt your opinion on the Santos will change that much, but maybe have a look at some of the models on a strap and see what you think. They have these quick change systems for changing straps and they normally come with a coujple of different colours to make them a bit more versatile, so you never know. I really like the new black versions that are coming out:

I’m surprised how much I like those Santos’, could be a game changer! Thanks will take a closer look

Grand Master
    I think a watch you buy new and wear with the only intention of it being an heirloom would have much more sentimental attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    If you are considering a FOIS, an alternative might be the CK 2998.

Or perhaps one of the new IWC Portugiesers, either in chrono or non chrono form. The IWC pilot watch is also a classic style, but of course it has a date. Likewise the Zenith Defy.
    Thanks, yes the CK 2998s are very nice, if I’ve understood correctly there was a regular black and white panda and also a blue?

Would be quite different to anything else I have which could be good

Think I definitely prefer the reverse panda of the Speedy Tuesday, but not sure how much chance I’d have of finding an affordable one of them!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    I’m surprised how much I like those Santos’, could be a game changer! Thanks will take a closer look
    No problem, I'm very interested in them myself so let me know if you get to see one in the metal and what you think. The catch is, I'm not sure they are actually out yet but should be this year.

On a separate note, I had a daughter this year and decided to buy a watch, more for me to celebrate than as an heirloom if I'm honest! But one thing I did was contact dealers in advance and get them to hold the watch for me so we could get the warranty card filled out with her date of birth. Might be a nice little touch if you can arrange it.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=Hennersf;5473494]Thanks, yes the CK 2998s are very nice, if I’ve understood correctly there was a regular black and white panda and also a blue?

Yes, that's right (and also a lovely Sedna Gold version). They are similar in fit to the FOIS and quite smart/dressy. I prefer the black and white version but the blue is also nice if you are looking to add that colour to your collection - it's a subtle blue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    Thanks - this is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for!

I’d seen the Tokyo Speedmasters and really liked the idea of it commemorating this year, plus a couple of the colourways I would definitely enjoy - sadly I believe they were only available in Japan and sold out so presume I’d struggle to find one, let alone for a sensible price but they would be very high on my wish list I guess

I’ll have a look through what else there is though

I would have to agree that the Speedys were definitely the best of the bunch, some of the guys here have got them and I assume there will be some out there in the market, you may be right about paying a premium however.

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega...id12755796.htm