closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder changes tack

Master

Watchfinder changes tack

Has anyone else noticed that WF are no longer showing the retail prices of currently produced "desirable" steel Rolexes?

Instead they'e now saying "Beat the waiting list This watch has appreciated xx%"

With the caveat of :-

"† This appreciation is based on raw data. This data is not a prediction of future value and should in no way be treated as an inference or advice of any kind."

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that WF are no longer showing the retail prices of currently produced "desirable" steel Rolexes?

Instead they'e now saying "Beat the waiting list This watch has appreciated xx%"

With the caveat of :-

"† This appreciation is based on raw data. This data is not a prediction of future value and should in no way be treated as an inference or advice of any kind."
    First I've heard about this.I wonder if the price changes daily? Enquire today but next week it will be more expensive.Seriously concerned that the only people buying Rolex are in it not for the love but the investment these days.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

WF had around 1100 Rolex for sale last year and now it's in the 600's. The tides are unpredictable, but the bubble is being distorted.

All very strange. If it’s not intended to be a guide to future values, which nobody can predict, it shouldn’t be there. They also don’t explain how they come up with the percentages and where the raw data comes from. They have examples of the same watches, same year with b&p listed at different prices that have appreciated by different amounts. It doesn’t make sense and stinks of the sort of selling actions employed by dodgy tv jewellery channels stating that the real values are much more than the prices charged. Wouldn’t surprise me if they are a few complaints away from having to change back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    All very strange. If it’s not intended to be a guide to future values, which nobody can predict, it shouldn’t be there. They also don’t explain how they come up with the percentages and where the raw data comes from. They have examples of the same watches, same year with b&p listed at different prices that have appreciated by different amounts. It doesn’t make sense and stinks of the sort of selling actions employed by dodgy tv jewellery channels stating that the real values are much more than the prices charged. Wouldn’t surprise me if they are a few complaints away from having to change back.
    Think it's relative to RRP

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    WF had around 1100 Rolex for sale last year and now it's in the 600's. The tides are unpredictable, but the bubble is being distorted.
    I noticed a trimming of stock on the day dates... used to have 80 odd 6 months ago and now maybe 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Think it's relative to RRP
    Not so sure. They have a 2020 CHNR listed for £16,675 with a stated appreciation of 54%. If it had appreciated from RRP it would be for sale at £18,250. Looks much more like they are making it up as they go to make the watches look more appealing.

Grand Master
    Perhaps the stock has been relocated to overseas shops (New York & Tsim Sha Shui) and therefore isn’t available for instant dispatch or viewing.
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Perhaps the stock has been relocated to overseas shops (New York & Tsim Sha Shui) and therefore isn’t available for instant dispatch or viewing.
    This is more concerning if this is what they are doing. Means that the stock of second hand watches in the UK will deplete as they will buy from the cheaper market (UK at the moment), and export elsewhere

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    This is more concerning if this is what they are doing. Means that the stock of second hand watches in the UK will deplete as they will buy from the cheaper market (UK at the moment), and export elsewhere

Oh no how will we ever survive
    RIAC

Master
    Not so sure. They have a 2020 CHNR listed for £16,675 with a stated appreciation of 54%. If it had appreciated from RRP it would be for sale at £18,250. Looks much more like they are making it up as they go to make the watches look more appealing.
    Seems they have gona off older RRP of 10850...haven't seen this change but have noticed their RRP they used to list wasn't always up to date. Perhaps indication of how long item been in stock!

Master
    I am sure you have a solution Kerry 😂

But if done in volume, then surely it will push up the price of second hand stock?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I am sure you have a solution Kerry 

But if done in volume, then surely it will push up the price of second hand stock?
    My solution would be to vote with my wallet and enjoy something more meaningful in life.
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not we, but “you”, in the corporate sense.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Not we, but “you”, in the corporate sense.
    The corporate will have the same margins as ever I’m sure.
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The corporate will have the same margins as ever I’m sure.
    Margins are irrelevant if no one is buying.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Margins are irrelevant if no one is buying.
    The market seems ok I’ve heard
    RIAC

Master
    “Everyone is buying” is more like it at the moment. Plenty of cash sloshing around, people have had nothing to spend it on and they have been able to defer VAT and tax bills.
    There will be a reckoning, but it ain’t happening just yet. My stocks have never been lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    “Everyone is buying” is more like it at the moment. Plenty of cash sloshing around, people have had nothing to spend it on and they have been able to defer VAT and tax bills.
    There will be a reckoning, but it ain’t happening just yet. My stocks have never been lower.
    Given your comment, I suppose you are happy with lower inventory at the moment?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Given your comment, I suppose you are happy with lower inventory at the moment?
    No, I’d always be happy to have far more in. It’s just about buying at the right price. Cash in the bank earns me nothing. Bad times for many are not bad times for everyone; some will do well and there will always be buyers.

Craftsman
    I part ex'd two watches with Watchfinder on 14th March, just before everything shut down. Out of interest during lock down, I kept looking to see when they went up for sale and for how much. They have only gone up for sale in the last week and as has been said their stock for sale as steadily dwindled from March with around 1100 Rolex down to 673 and Omega down from around 500 to 300. Their Pre Sale stock has steadily risen over the past four months, so I suspect their service centre has been closed until quite recently and only now making inroads into the part-ex stock for pre-sale "inspection". Of the two watches I part-ex'd one that I got £4.4 for is up for £5.6k and the other £4.5k is up for £6.9k!

Frankly I couldn't give a flying you know what whether they've changed tack or not. I hate them as a retailer and would never do business with them.

Master
    Same here; awful company just shifting ‘product’ . Bought from then once, my mistake. Never again.

Master
    I’ve sold to WF a couple of times and they were fine. Don’t think I’d want to buy off them to be honest.

My brother has just sold 3 watches to a local dealer and been given really good prices on all of them so it does seem the market is fairly buoyant right now.

As H said there will be a reckoning to come - for now everything is being propped up.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    First I've heard about this.I wonder if the price changes daily? Enquire today but next week it will be more expensive.Seriously concerned that the only people buying Rolex are in it not for the love but the investment these days.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    No, I’d always be happy to have far more in. It’s just about buying at the right price. Cash in the bank earns me nothing. Bad times for many are not bad times for everyone; some will do well and there will always be buyers.
    Makes sense.

Best of luck with always finding the right price.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    For balance I bought from them last year and it was completely hassle free and pleasant tbh. Market rate for the watch and even got some extra goodies (I also asked for extra links and got them)...

I appreciate this may not be everyone's experience.

Banned
    Never been a fan of watchfinder, grey market dealers at their worst

Craftsman

Spin.

Not sure who at WF came up with this idea and somehow thought it will sell more watches. Just emphasised the ludicrous asking prices from WF and the fact that nearly all of the rest of the stock has depreciated in value. When they state “Appreciation”, it is probably more in relation to their mark up %.

Would be nice if they also informed buyers paying their inflated prices just how much supposed asset depreciates if they sell it back to WF in a few months or year.

Journeyman
    Why anyone would purchase anything from Watchfinder is quite beyond me