closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Iron Maiden fans - album recommendations

Master

Any Iron Maiden fans - album recommendations

As a Maiden fan who hasn't bought an album since Somewhere in Time but wants to get back into the catalogue, can anyone recommend good albums to look at?
    I don't really want stuff from the Blaze Bayley era but any suggestions for stuff with Bruce Dickinson gratefully accepted
    Thanks,

Have you got the Live after death album? Maiden are so good live and if you want something different check out 2019 Rock in Rio..

Master
    Yes, I've got Live after death, I had on vinyl when it first came out, now on cd. My interest was rekindled by a 3 part documentary on YouTube "the history of Iron Maiden". It seems to be made by, or with the cooperation of, the band & management - goes into a lot of fascinating details.

This is their best from that period IMO. Bruce delivers.

Pick up where you left off and go straight to Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. Great album!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Pick up where you left off and go straight to Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. Great album!
    That's on my radar, glad to hear it's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    That's on my radar, glad to hear it's a good one.
    I remember hearing it on Tommy Vance's 'Friday Rock Show' when it was released back in the day. It's their best and kind of went downhill from there imo. The bass guitar intro on 'The Clairvoyant' is glorious.

I’ve followed Maiden since the early 80’s. Brave New World is probably their best in the last couple of decades.
    A Matter of Life and death is also up there. They’ve not made a bad album since Bruce returned. The book of Souls is pretty good? I’ve got them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was always deeply sceptical of Spotify, but I must admit that it has rekindled my love of '70's and '80's rock.

All of the Iron Maiden catalogue is listed in Spotify, along with Judas Priest, Rainbow, Purple etc.

Get yourself a one month subscription to Spotify, enjoy all of your favourite bands - then go and buy the vinyl or CD with confidence.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I remember hearing it on Tommy Vance's 'Friday Rock Show' when it was released back in the day. It's their best and kind of went downhill from there imo. The bass guitar intro on 'The Clairvoyant' is glorious.
    "TV play that rock n" roll"... I believe that was sung by Angry Anderson / Rose Tattoo.

Well it looks like we have the same taste in music as we do watches; Maiden are probably my favourite band. Somewhere in Time got me into music, full stop! Since then Fear of the Dark is a classic album (and the title song is epic live).

I agree with many of the above posts - Spotify is excellent, and Maiden have been superb since Bruce’s return - all the albums are good. There are some exceptional songs, for instance: Paschendale, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Coming Home and Empire of the Clouds. All epic.

I’m surprised that their last studio album (The Book of Souls) was in 2015....unless I’ve missed one!

I think I have them all, but the debut album & Killers are my favourites.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Well it looks like we have the same taste in music as we do watches; Maiden are probably my favourite band. Somewhere in Time got me into music, full stop! Since then Fear of the Dark is a classic album (and the title song is epic live).

I agree with many of the above posts - Spotify is excellent, and Maiden have been superb since Bruce’s return - all the albums are good. There are some exceptional songs, for instance: Paschendale, The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Coming Home and Empire of the Clouds. All epic.

I’m surprised that their last studio album (The Book of Souls) was in 2015....unless I’ve missed one!
    I went to see them on the Somewhere in Time tour at Cornwall Coliseum on 4th October 1986, Bruce Dickinson was on the same train as me & gave me a lift to the gig in his car!

That’s an awesome story!

Thats a great story Speedy, he is obviously a humble man.

Don't despair, Preist still have it. Their album from 2018 is fantastic for a bunch of metalheads in their later years

I’ll have to listen to that album on Spotify now.

I also love the last studio albums of Metallica and Slayer, both are superb.

Master
    That’s an awesome story!
    Cornwall Coliseum, saw some great bands there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Thats a great story Speedy, he is obviously a humble man.

Don't despair, Preist still have it. Their album from 2018 is fantastic for a bunch of metalheads in their later years

I got off the train at St Austell, there were lots of people obviously going to the gig & I saw Warren Poppe, the road manager on the platform (recognised him from the Live after Death booklet).
    Fearing the gig was cancelled or something, I asked him what was going on. He said that Bruce was on the train. Seems Maiden had played Oxford the day before, the band had come on the tour bus Bruce had gone to a fencing competition and then caught the train.
    Cheekily I asked for a lift to the gig & he said yes. Top guy!

Master
    Go to sea of tranquillity on you tube. They rate the albums on there. It's subjective but gives you a good idea. It's a good site for fans of rock

Since then Fear of the Dark is a classic album (and the title song is epic live).
    Yep.

And in the end it doesn't even matter if you like it or not -- you must know it to roar along.

13 mins of Iron Maiden telling a fantastic story, at 9.10 its time to just lose it

Master
    I downloaded Seventh Son, Brave New World & Book of Souls. Also looking at Rock in Rio & Dance of Death.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Yep.

And in the end it doesn't even matter if you like it or not -- you must know it to roar along.

Fear of The Duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I downloaded Seventh Son, Brave New World & Book of Souls. Also looking at Rock in Rio & Dance of Death.
    I would be interested to hear how you get on. When I was little, I had all the albums up to Somewhere In Time, and knew them all backwards. When Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son came out and I bought it, I was very disappointed, despite my best efforts, and after that my attention wandered elsewhere. Recently I tried dipping my toe into the Return Of Bruce albums, but nothing tempted. I still listen to Killers a lot, and Powerslave a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Fear of The Duck.
    That should work, too.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Fear of The Duck.
    Can I play with Magnets

Once you sing along to Can I play with Madness and replace with Magnets its never the same!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I would be interested to hear how you get on. When I was little, I had all the albums up to Somewhere In Time, and knew them all backwards. When Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son came out and I bought it, I was very disappointed, despite my best efforts, and after that my attention wandered elsewhere. Recently I tried dipping my toe into the Return Of Bruce albums, but nothing tempted. I still listen to Killers a lot, and Powerslave a bit.
    Piece of Mind was my favourite for years, I've been watching a documentary on YouTube which prompted me to look at the more recent stuff.

Master
    https://youtu.be/qDc5Px5f0OE
    Link to the first part of 3...