closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions on this 116710LN

Craftsman

Opinions on this 116710LN

Hello all

I am about to hit the go button on this 2012 Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN from a bricks and mortar dealer and before I did so, I would like to hear your thoughts on the condition of this watch. I.e. does it look to be original, is it over polished, do the box and papers match the year, is the bracelet complete etc

Happy to hear any thoughts and thank you in advance.

I’m not an expert but have had a few of this model and know them pretty well. To me all the accessories look correct for the year of manufacture. The watch looks to be in very good condition. Sometimes, on watches with polished centre links and sides of the case, you can detect that they are not perfectly flat through polishing by looking at whether the images reflected in them are straight or distorted. From what I can see they are all straight lines in the reflections which means either very well done or only the lightest of polishing there. Bracelet screw heads are not chewed, the watches lugs are all even, without damage and the edges all look crisp and without excessive rounding. I can’t really tell if the teeth on the edge of the bezel are still sharp and crisp or rounded - you will be able to if you feel them. Crystal, dial, hands and bezel insert all look good. All links are present. Winding crown is still crisp.

The only way to tell if the movement is in need of a service is to get a qualified watch maker to open it and inspect it. But you might be able to get an idea of whether it needs a service by having it checked on a timegrapher. If it shows normal amplitude and rate then probably the rest of it, self winder etc. will be okay.

If it were me and the price I wanted to pay I would think it was a safe buy. But I would still get it inspected and checked for water resistance before wearing it. If it does need a service and you can negotiate that into the price (and send to an RSC) then that would be ideal as you would have a watch that you know will then keep going well for many years.
    Last edited by petespendthrift; 7th July 2020 at 20:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
    I’m not an expert but have had a few of this model and know them pretty well....l
    Thank you very much for the helpful reply, you have covered all the points I was thinking of and more. Definitely helps put my mind at ease.