closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: "Failed Login Notification on TZ-UK Forums" - Advice please on possible hack attempt

"Failed Login Notification on TZ-UK Forums" - Advice please on possible hack attempt

I received the email below earlier this evening.

Is there any action I need to take?

After Andy's apparent account 'hack' the other day I had already changed my password.

Any advice please?

Cheers

"Dear wadsy,

Someone has tried to log into your account on TZ-UK Forums with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 81.152.248.196

All the best,

TZ-UK Forums"

Sounds like changing your password saved you from having your account hacked. I assume the five attempts were with the old password.

Just make sure the old password isn't being used elsewhere, if it is, change it pronto.

I've changed mine as well.

Master
    I got the same this morning too. I changed my password after the couple of Rolexes on SC over the weekend.

Although I didn't change it on my Tapatalk App on the phone, so assumed the emails were a result of the App trying to login with the old password

https://www.whatismyip.com/

It's probably Tapatalk. Are you with BT? That's a BT IP address.

Is totally normal my friend! Just ignore. I am selling my brand new Rolex "Incredible Hulk" Submarine soon for 9000 Great British pounds and I am not worried 100% about hacking. Is just big scare story! Private message for Rolex details.

I had the same email a few days ago. I assumed it was due to using tapatalk on a new wifi network. I did change my password a month or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I had the same email a few days ago. I assumed it was due to using tapatalk on a new wifi network. I did change my password a month or so ago.
    I don’t think it is this. I changed my password and have tapatalk installed and it hasn’t happened to me.

I think the forum is being targeted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Is totally normal my friend! Just ignore. I am selling my brand new Rolex "Incredible Hulk" Submarine soon for 9000 Great British pounds and I am not worried 100% about hacking. Is just big scare story! Private message for Rolex details.
    PM'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I don’t think it is this. I changed my password and have tapatalk installed and it hasn’t happened to me.

I think the forum is being targeted.
    Yes, I did the same without any Tapatalk-related issues.

Edited to add: I did also change my Tapatalk password recently.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th July 2020 at 09:28.

Approx six months ago on a whim I changed my TZ password and updated my user email address, about 3 months ago I received am email to my original email account saying that the sender of the email had hacked my accounts and actually showing my old TZ account password - a password only ever used on TZ, given that I'd changed my email and password months earlier I concluded that TZ had had a security breach, it's probably worthwhile updating passwords every now and again.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Approx six months ago on a whim I changed my TZ password and updated my user email address, about 3 months ago I received am email to my original email account saying that the sender of the email had hacked my accounts and actually showing my old TZ account password - a password only ever used on TZ, given that I'd changed my email and password months earlier I concluded that TZ had had a security breach, it's probably worthwhile updating passwords every now and again.
    Thats interesting to know. The frequency of hacked accounts here does suggest vBulletin has had some kind of data breach in the past that we are unaware of. I'd put my money on this being the cause and that people who have not changed their passwords in a while are at risk.

Again, really highlights that we should have a forced password change for all users.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the warning,just changed my password.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Thats interesting to know. The frequency of hacked accounts here does suggest vBulletin has had some kind of data breach in the past that we are unaware of. I'd put my money on this being the cause and that people who have not changed their passwords in a while are at risk.

Again, really highlights that we should have a forced password change for all users.
    Not so sure re vBulletin breach, particularly as sites such as this are not hosted by vBulletin themselves.

I think what's going on is that scammers are realising that there is an opportunity on TZ-UK, hack an account, place a SC ad for a Rolex, fingers crossed you sucker someone.

They are probably just trying email/passwords from breaches on other sites. Hence the emails re failed attempts. Every now and then they get a hit.

However, if you do get one of these emails I think it is well worth looking at the haveibeenpwned site and working out what might have been compromised that has a password you still have in use. In fact probably worth checking anyway and making sure you no longer use compromised passwords.
    Last edited by SimonH; 7th July 2020 at 22:44.

I also had this issue which I posted about here:

Scam Scam Scam FS: Rolex GMT II C 116710LN
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

I think there’s a concerted effort to hack peoples accounts currently. I would imagine that there are more than a few that have been compromised and will be used to try to scam people in the future. Due diligence for SC ads and WTB responses more important than ever.

Master
    Same thing just happened to me! Quite worrying. Fortunately, I had changed my password after recent SC shenanigans.
    Last edited by Berty234; 9th July 2020 at 16:44.