timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Aston Martin reliability ... again

Master

Poor Aston Martin reliability ... again

What is one to do. Diddums.

Without specifics, a bit pointless TBH.

And they tell us nurses have a hard life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Without specifics, a bit pointless TBH.
    Well, the specific is that a person I know who works in Germany bought a new DB11 this year, partly on my recommendation. Despite the quality of what he sees to be good authorised dealer service in Germany, the Aston has been unreliable to the point that he couldn't depend on it for long business trips on autobahns - which was the primary reason he bought the damn thing.

(Personally, I think the Ferrari's a mistake, too, but I'll bet it'll prove more reliable than the Aston.)

Grand Master
    But what actually went wrong with it? 'Unreliability' is a very general statement.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    But what actually went wrong with it? 'Unreliability' is a very general statement.
    It went Kaput!

His driveway could do with a bit of a weeding...

No disrespect intended but - it seems like a bit of a ''so what'', were this a 'performance sportscar' forum, and you had specific moans about your car...

Hope your mate has better luck with his new motor.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Well, the specific is that a person I know who works in Germany bought a new DB11 this year, partly on my recommendation. Despite the quality of what he sees to be good authorised dealer service in Germany, the Aston has been unreliable to the point that he couldn't depend on it for long business trips on autobahns - which was the primary reason he bought the damn thing.

(Personally, I think the Ferrari's a mistake, too, but I'll bet it'll prove more reliable than the Aston.)
    He said he had "disappointment in reliability delivering uncertainty". You might know more about this but wasn't in what was linked.

Blog Entries
    I'd have got the Aston sorted. It screams Daniel Craig brutishness. The Ferrari screams Dale Winton.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I feel devastated for him.....lol.

Just another coined up guy looking for confirmation of his financial alpha-maleness..

A guy has an expensive thing, it's not what he hoped so we gloat. Not a good look. Particularly ridiculous given this is a site on which we talk about unnecessarily expensive trinkets.

I've never had a problem with Aston Martin reliability.
    F.T.F.A.

Surely this is why one has servants? to deal with this sort of thing?

If you want a car to have a bit of soul, then you have to expect this sort of thing.

If you want a car to be completely soulless then buy a Toyota.

First world problems meh!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    If you want a car to have a bit of soul, then you have to expect this sort of thing.

First world problems meh!
    Isn't that why Porsches are so popular?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

If I had to cover long distances on the autobahn at high speed, I don't see either choice as making sense from a driving or financial view..

I'm sure to get shot down in flames, but the Porsche Panamera is the ideal tool for that job

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Isn't that why Porsches are so popular?

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Porsche is certainly more reliable than other cars, but not as reliable as a Toyota. Hence you don’t see them being used as Taxis.

Plus with some exceptions, modern Porsche’s are not hand built like some other super cars.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    If I had to cover long distances on the autobahn at high speed, I don't see either choice as making sense from a driving or financial view..

I'm sure to get shot down in flames, but the Porsche Panamera is the ideal tool for that job
    No shooting, and no flames, in part you're right - they're comfortable and rapid, but a good friend has just sold his Panamera after two hellish years of unceasing problems and unreliability that no Porsche MD could ever put fully right. He shiftily and guiltily sold it at a whopping loss, and bought a 10YO 911...

He doesn't learn.

And no, it isn't me.

I drive a Toyota...

Hence you don’t see them being used as Taxis.
    What complete and utter nonsense. If Porsche were the same price as Toyota I'm pretty sure you would see them.

Porsche is certainly more reliable than other cars, but not as reliable as a Toyota. Hence you don’t see them being used as Taxis.

Plus with some exceptions, modern Porsche’s are not hand built like some other super cars.
    Errrrr, OK...

I'm not sure I see your point, no-one is going to be cross shopping Porsches and Toyotas, taxi drivers or supercar drivers.

If 'hand built' means unreliable, then I don't see it as a virtue - I had a Vauxhall once, it wasn't handbuilt, but it was unreliable, I didn't keep it very long.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I haven't either.

That *might* be because I drive a Honda Civic. Oh yes. I know how to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    What complete and utter nonsense. If Porsche were the same price as Toyota I'm pretty sure you would see them.
    Purchase Price hasn’t got anything to do with it. It’s the Running costs is what’s important.

If you go to Amsterdam you will see many Tesla’s being used as Taxis and they cost as much as Porsche, why? Because the running costs are so much lower.

Plus until the Cayenne, Porsche didn’t make a 4 door big enough to be used as a taxi.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Errrrr, OK...

I'm not sure I see your point, no-one is going to be cross shopping Porsches and Toyotas, taxi drivers or supercar drivers.

If 'hand built' means unreliable, then I don't see it as a virtue - I had a Vauxhall once, it wasn't handbuilt, but it was unreliable, I didn't keep it very long.

M
    My point is that super cars (Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, etc) are not built using the same methods as for example VW Golf. Each car is basically custom built, hence it’s more likely to suffer problems than a car made by robots on a automated production line.

Being hand built isn’t a virtue in the reliability stakes, but it is a virtue if you are looking for something different and bespoke.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I haven't either.

That *might* be because I drive a Honda Civic. Oh yes. I know how to impress.
    Ordinary cars like Civic are more reliable anyway.

I have not broken down for 15+ years and the 2 cars I had were family hatchbacks that are often sneered at by many.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Ordinary cars like Civic are more reliable anyway.

I have not broken down for 15+ years and the 2 cars I had were family hatchbacks that are often sneered at by many.
    I don't think anyone sneers at a modern Civic apart from the shallow.

Don't get me wrong though. I don't blame others for my shortcomings. Financial opportunity is often disguised as hard work.

Hence you don’t see them being used as Taxis.
    I've seen Cayenne's being used as taxis.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

That looks like the kind of drive that's probably long enough to run your untaxed car through the gears while actually moving!
    "A man of little significance"

My point is that super cars (Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, etc) are not built using the same methods as for example VW Golf. Each car is basically custom built, hence it’s more likely to suffer problems than a car made by robots on a automated production line.

Being hand built isn’t a virtue in the reliability stakes, but it is a virtue if you are looking for something different and bespoke.
    Im not sure the majority of super cars these days come anywhere close to bespoke, and have a lot more in common with a highly automated production line.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

I’m sure Ferrari’s and lambos are built on production lines just like golfs etc, obviously not quite the same method but same meat different gravy

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've seen Cayenne's being used as taxis.

R
    Of course you have Ralphy.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Im not sure the majority of super cars these days come anywhere close to bespoke, and have a lot more in common with a highly automated production line.
    I am not sure than a Golf Engine is assembled by a single technician. An Aston Martin is.

I also doubt it takes 6 months to build a Golf - that’s how long it takes Rolls Royce.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure than a Golf Engine is assembled by a single technician. An Aston Martin is.

I also doubt it takes 6 months to build a Golf - that’s how long it takes Rolls Royce.
    That 6 months figure is pure myth.

Master
    If you’re buying an Aston as a daily driver. You’re doing it rong (tm).
    Buy an s class or similar to munch business miles and have your 6 figure man toy for weekend / events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how many miles have you driven in a GT86, then?

I've done 25k+ miles in mine. I also had a 911 for 17 years (a Carrera 3.2 Sport - before the abomination that was the 964 with its PAS and ABS and rounded cuddly looks).

The Toyota has every much soul in its own way as the Porsche had.

Im not sure the first is meaningful in real terms, and the second can only true in a Rolex timing sense - i.e if you add up all the time it takes to do each task as taking place consecutively rather than concurrently as a lot will be.
    It's just a matter of time...

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Master

It takes Steinway a year to hand produce a grand piano each one having 12,000 parts. Each piano is unique, but yet does not break down mid-concerto. Being hand built and unique is not an excuse for poor design and / or lack of rigor in manufacture and quality control.

Our motorhome was hand built over several months, not a single robot in sight while the kitchen and bathroom were fitted.
    Wait till I tell my mates that it is as well made, bespoke, and rarer than a Lambo, Ferrari, or Aston Martin.

FFS it’s British, goes without saying it’ll break down every third Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    FFS it’s British, goes without saying it’ll break down every third Tuesday!
    Is it? I lost count who owns AM now, I know Toto Wolf and co have ploughed millions into the shares with talk of AMG taking over..

Of course you have Ralphy.
    I’m glad you acknowledge that I have. Dubai (another member has kindly shown some from there), Munich and Amsterdam in my travels, plus a colleague has ridden in one in Moscow.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    ..... with talk of AMG taking over..
    If the AM gets a white labeled v12 and Merc electrics pack, will no doubt outrage the purists....but the product will be better.

A DBS takes 49 hours to assemble from start to finish.

I've been watching the 'How To Build British' series on C4 and the DBS Superleggera was the subject of one of the episodes.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...mand/70165-002

R

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    If the AM gets a white labeled v12 and Merc electrics pack, will no doubt outrage the purists....but the product will be better.
    Better than the current series yes, not better than the previous generation. Just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Me too ... Never had a probem with my Aston Martin Cygnet :) ... most reliable car

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-martin-cygnet

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 8th July 2020 at 21:42.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Me too ... Never had a probem with my Aston Martin Cygnet :) ... most reliable car

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-martin-cygnet

dunk
    That’s because it’s a Toyota!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    That’s because it’s a Toyota!
    Beat me to it David!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........