closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacement Rolex Bezel Insert

Journeyman

Replacement Rolex Bezel Insert

I have searched several threads on this, many of them seem to be a quite a few years old.

Will Rolex St James swap and replace bezel inserts and return the old one??

I have just purchased a 2002 "faded Pepsi" GMT II from a friend. He was having the watch serviced before I purchased it, I asked him to ask if the bezel insert could be swapped to an all black and the original one kept as part of the service but he was told "No" by the small independent jeweller who had sent the watch for service. Something to do with serial numbers and model codes not matching??

I know the faded Pepsi is very desirable, however, my friend and I still mix in the same circles regularly and don't want to feel like I am wearing "his watch" I wanted to swap to all black to 'make it mine' and keep the faded Pepsi should I ever sell, which I hope is unlikely.

Sorry if the question has been done to death, I couldn't find anything recent.

I am not keen on buying an aftermarket non-Rolex bezel and replacing myself, would rather know it has been done properly and is an original Rolex part.

thanks in advance

Jason

Im sure Im right in saying that Rolex will only replace parts to ones that originally came on that model of watch.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Replacement Rolex Bezel Insert

I’d phone them and ask. I had thought that they would allow bezel colour changes on the old GMTs, and think they did this for me (excuse my memory and too many watches). I certainly had a GMT with both black and coke one.

Or someone like William Rice who may be a better bet. Rolex accredited, and has been super helpful for me.

If you want a replacement bezel insert (like for like) and to keep the old, just remove the old one, say it fell out and send watch minus insert to any accredited who will be able to supply a replacement. Again, I used William Rice. Excellent service.
    (I’ would suggest not doing this via Rolex St.James, as I had them try to say the whole bezel needed replacement as it was “”bent”, the piss-takers”. See my old thread on a Tudor insert replacement)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bezels

I’ve been told by RSJ that they will swap it to a different bezel and give you the old one back for £50plus VAT!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cfranklin View Post
    I’ve been told by RSJ that they will swap it to a different bezel and give you the old one back for £50plus VAT!

Wow! I think from the website they are closed, but I will follow up and the independent mentioned above.

thanks so much for the quick replies everyone....

I know they will swap when the watch is new as I had my original 16710 Coke swapped for all black when I purchased in 2000. keen to do it again now...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Or someone like William Rice who may be a better bet. Rolex accredited, and has been super helpful for me.

If you want a replacement bezel insert (like for like) and to keep the old, just remove the old one, say it fell out and send watch minus insert to any accredited who will be able to supply a replacement. Again, I used William Rice.

Excellent service.
    (I’ would suggest not doing this via Rolex St.James, as I had them try to say the whole bezel needed replacement as it was “”bent”, the piss-takers”. See my old thread on a Tudor insert replacement)

Thank you I have completed the web enquiry in William Rice website, I would hope I wouldn't have any issues with RSJ as the watch arrived back from them this weekend after a full service. Happy to use the independent though, hopefully I will hear back from them soon :)

thanks again

Jason

Yeh. Rolex really let me down on the bezel insert swap. I was surprised. I took the bezel off myself, so knew perfectly well it was not bent - but when I sent it in and told them I had lost the insert and must have bashed it (some old waffle) they reported back it was bent and unserviceable!
    They also said it should be serviced at the same time if I had bashed it. A £90 insert was going to cost me about £600-odd.
    (Watch was 3months old, in warranty and still running within COSC!)
    Never going direct again. Second time they have let me down actually.
    Sent it to Bill and he said there was no probs at all.

Blog Entries
    It's was £56 pre lockdown and yes that includes giving your old insert back. However I believe if you have a model ref: 16710 (aka the "Coke") or 16710BLNR ("Pepsi") you get the choose of all 3 bezel inserts, but if your watch is originally a 16710LN then you only get the option of the black insert and Rolex will not sell/fit you either of the other coloured inserts.

To add your independent jeweller was probably saying no as they can't get hold of the parts.

Journeyman
    have spoken to William Rice, thanks for the recommendation it is going to them this week... :)

thanks again for the prompt and helpful replies

Jason