closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earliest joiner still active on TZ-UK?

I joined 2012 and was a member on Time Zone prior. Time Zone was ok but thought I would find a UK site.

The format was a bit strange when navigating throughout posts within a thread.

I missed all the TMS stuff but read about it after.

I also visited TRF which is great for seeing what everyone is wearing, eating, drinking or driving.

Long live TZ!

Master
    Ok, I’ve been here a while - 2006 I think - but I don’t recall this TMS thing. What the hell happened!? And how did I miss it??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    If you could bring one of the disappeared back, who would it be?

My choice would be Mike - mr1973 - Salzburg's finest pervert, and king of the comedy one-liners

Damn he was quite the character! I remember when he left he was getting a divorce too bad he never came back.

Sadly, there must be hundreds of the old members who stopped posting because they died.

My choice would be Mike - mr1973 - Salzburg's finest pervert, and king of the comedy one-liners
    For me it would have to be Griff.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I hope he's ok, it would be good to hear from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think just because it was such a bizarre episode, you couldn't have made it up. For me it was strange how this new member joined who was clearly a bit unstable, became absolute centre of attention with a bit of a following then had a total meltdown when it transpired all the stories were absolute bs. The WG Rolex thread was like a car crash in slow motion with about 2 pages of people believing Rolex dealers would issue out a WG Rolex sub 'loan' watch before some brave member dared say it might be fake. Definitely stands out in all my time here.
    TMS was, apparently, banned from Pistonheads for similar flights of fancy, involving claims to ownership of several "desirable" Fords. Bit of a pattern developing, makes you wonder how many other forums she joined.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Friday night political banter in the BP with Griff was the highlight of the week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Friday night political banter in the BP with Griff was the highlight of the week.

Especially as the evening progressed and, it would seem, the vodka went down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    TMS was, apparently, banned from Pistonheads for similar flights of fancy, involving claims to ownership of several "desirable" Fords. Bit of a pattern developing, makes you wonder how many other forums she joined.
    She was indeed, I was present on both sets of forums for those meltdowns.
    I did some good trade deals with her, never had any issues, just a shame that it was followed up by all those issues.

As an aside, I joined back when registering was only open for a free hours a week (or whatever it was - I forget!), having heard about the place through PistonHeads.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Sadly, there must be hundreds of the old members who stopped posting because they died.
    I only thought about that last night after reading this thread.

So many old popular characters gone, hopefully not all to the next world.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Just checked when I joined and its February 2003...little bit shocked it was that long ago!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

I always used to enjoy Java’s posts back in the day
    Dan

+1 he was a one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    +1 he was a one off.
    I can't believe it's almost 10 years since Griff was active here, it really seems like yesterday!

'Do you see?'

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I joined TRF in 2007 and found it all rather "American", so it was a huge relief to find TZUK in 2009. It was immediately apparent that the atmosphere was so much freer and not concerned exclusively with Rolex. How things have changed. ;)

I remember my first posts were asking for assistance with a purchase of a Speedy from a Manchester AD that didn't go too well. But there was eventually a successful resolution.

I remember TMS, Captain Howdy and that angry little Welshman. I wasn't a member when Dawson was around but he seems to have been a character with some rather niche interests.

A lot of older members moan about how it was better in the old days and that things have changed (I may just have done that above) but that's life. Without change there's stagnation and death. There's still a great many great characters here and despite the sometimes tiresome bickering, arguments and name calling it's one of the best places on the net.

Just think what we'd have to do if it weren't here. Thanks Eddie!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I joined TRF in 2007 and found it all rather "American", so it was a huge relief to find TZUK in 2009. It was immediately apparent that the atmosphere was so much freer
    Different years for me but that was exactly my journey into watch forums too.

Believe it or not, in those early days Timefactors was a Laco agent. I wanted a German pilots and he had the cheapest one on the net. He mentioned this forum he was putting together as he had enough with TZ and hence TZ-UK. What a ride.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Believe it or not, in those early days Timefactors was a Laco agent. I wanted a German pilots and he had the cheapest one on the net. He mentioned this forum he was putting together as he had enough with TZ and hence TZ-UK. What a ride.
    Eddie used to keep a lot of quality watches. He was an O&W seller also.

And those NOS items he used to get....... I'd kill for some of those great old Breitlings etc that he used to have now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I found forums late into my watch days... was just car-boot finding and roaming eBay for vintage Seikos for quite a few years, never looked at any other brands, never knew other people were also into vintage Seikos...

I remember getting Pogues and other really cool, much rarer looking stuff for £30 £40 quid. I probably had about 15 cool old Seikos before they were cool. Sold them all for peanuts... :(

I got here via MWR, the mil watch forum, as I had an old issued CWC and was looking for advice on crystal replacement. Ended up joining, straying into Marathon TSAR territory, then led to WUS but that was crap, and thankfully found here soon after - don’t recall how exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    5th November 2002. Wow, time flies.

M

I remember thanking Crusader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's not forget he was also a Damasko agent. I bought my DC56 from him (2009), and my DA37 came from him via your good self (2006).
    F.T.F.A.

I’m a very late comer, only arriving in 2012.

I was only looking for Yamaha race bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I'm a very late comer, only arriving in 2012.
    I arrived just in time for the Lord Protector Philip's interregnum, and, in the 5 years since, I've never been able to shake the feeling that I missed the party.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Let's not forget he was also a Damasko agent. I bought my DC56 from him (2009), and my DA37 came from him via your good self (2006).
    Wow, you still have that?

These days I am still trying to come to terms with the point that watches are no longer tools to tell time but decorative trinkets. I seriously cannot believe today's prices... while Eddie still trundles along under the £500 mark. I would like to see watches survive but at these prices, it will soon become unethical to be sporting multiple thousands on your wrist.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

2010 for me although I have patches away when the Rolex/political stuff gets too much for me. Some great deals and some that I wish I’d stuck with! The whole WG Rolex scenario was quite bizarre interestingly she/he mugged me off with tattoo quotes and deposits but you live and learn 99.9% of members are stand out guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    +1 he was a one off.
    Use to be some right old disagreements with the 'commy'. 😂

I joined literally about two months before the tai mi shu debacle. I remember thinking even as a noob, ‘Who the hell believes an AD is gonna lend out a WG Sub?’. I didn’t want to cause a scene so early on though.

Wow, you still have that?

These days I am still trying to come to terms with the point that watches are no longer tools to tell time but decorative trinkets. I seriously cannot believe today's prices... while Eddie still trundles along under the £500 mark. I would like to see watches survive but at these prices, it will soon become unethical to be sporting multiple thousands on your wrist.
    I discovered the forum as I was looking for 'value' watches (Seiko Monster for under £80 in my case....). A lot of that discussion has gone - prices have gone up (the Pogues are a great example) and we have a more affluent member base (which I am also part of I guess). This is not necessarily a bad thing as it opens up a whole other side to watchmaking which is even more fascinating, but alas it has tended to stray on the conservative side of things (ie Rolex and major brands).

I'm not sure that wearing pricey watches will be unethical, but I would like to see more value watchmaking - even Eddie's current watches, great designs but from a technical standpoint not necessarily that exciting. Our best hope of that is Chinese manufacturers become more reliable and more complicated movements become democratised.

It is all a matter

of life ( that what happens while you making other plans.....)

After a time that the forum was changing more to a 'look at my new bling' environment which didn't attract me so much, a very busy professional few years and recently a few (brain) strokes I'm still around and reading some posts again on the forum.

Good to see that some of the early members ( also on the previous forum) are still around. (btw I was the 11th member joining this forum on 22 okt)

I might respond every now and then to some posts again in the future, sad that we lost a few along the way, good that others are still around!
    Last edited by Jeroen; 19th October 2023 at 23:45.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    'Do you see?'

R
    'Catmuck'

I think it’s time to say “Thanks, Crusader” once more.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Dawson2K5 for me. I wonder what became of him.

Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    Dawson2K5 for me. I wonder what became of him.
    Gimp suit related IIRC.

Master
    Gimp suit related IIRC.
    Haha, he was a great source of entertainment in my early days here.

Grand Master
    I joined 24th February 2003, was also via TimeZone, EOT, etc. used to be much more active, but my time seems less and less nowadays, so I 'lurk' more than I post .. but I recall Griff, as well as many others.
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    of life ( that what happens while you making other plans.....)

After a time that the forum was changing more to a 'look at my new bling' environment which didn't attract me so much, a very busy professional few years and recently a few (brain) strokes I'm still around and reading some posts again on the forum.

Good to see that some of the early members ( also on the previous forum) are still around. (btw I was the 11th member joining this forum on 22 okt)

I might respond every now and then to some posts again in the future, sad that we lost a few along the way, good that others are still around!
    Remember you well Jeroen.

Nice to see you again.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    Nice to see you Jeroen, and sorry to hear of your brain trouble. Mine doesn't work like it once did...

I did drop into the forum very briefly about 2019 after 10 years away, and it seemed like every other post was from some bloke going on about how the AD was his best friend because of the heavy money he spent (as we all know, this is the best kind of friendship) and how many Rolex he had stored in the bank vault, etc. I didn't stick around. But my observation is that things have got better! Maybe the fact that the Rolex market has apparently gone off the boil has something to do with it.

I arrived here curtesy of my wife, Lynn. Back in 2005 she wanted to buy me 'another!' watch, this one for our upcoming wedding anniversary. She wanted to buy me something, as she described it 'different' to what I already had; so I trawled the net avoiding the usual suspects and came across a company called Timefactors. They had some interesting and 'different' watches and I narrowed the choice down to 2, a Zeno COSC certified pilots styled watch and a PRS-12 Speedbird 1903. I was really torn between the two and couldn't make my mind up which so, as Eddie had his phone number listed on his website, I decided to give him a call. After an interesting and helpful chat I settled on the Zeno - a COSC certified limited edition watch with display back for a little over £400 = bargain, (though I subsequently added the 1903 later, along with 6 other Eddie watches).

Of course, the Timefactors site and the chat with Eddie led me this forum and a great adventure began. Much has changed on here since then and I've had a lot of fun whilst also learning much on the journey, though things haven't always been as friendly lately as the forum was back in the day.

People I miss? mr1973, (Mike) we had many a chat, and Griff - his heart was always in the right place but the fingers on his keyboard often let him down....... I also miss the photographs of that wonderful Rolex Milgauss that Lysanderxiii used to post. A thing of real beauty and the only Rolex I would ever consider buying, though it was way out of my price league when he did put it up for sale! I ought to look up some of his past posts to see if the pics are still there, if only to torment myself again

Oh, and Thanks Crusader
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I arrived in 2015 just in time for the Lord Protector Philip's interregnum, and, in the 5 years since, I've never been able to shake the feeling that I missed the party.
    Still feel very much this way, and some of these recent posts only encourage that.

Blog Entries
    A 2007 member, finding this ‘home’ after getting really bored and irritated on WUS with that German policeman Mike policing the forum. Being rather UK orientated this place was a breath of fresh air. Having lived through some epic times, melt downs and personal tragedies this is still a unique and great place to be. Strange to think I’ve quietly grown old together with a lot of members.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post

I did drop into the forum very briefly about 2019 after 10 years away, and it seemed like every other post was from some bloke going on about how the AD was his best friend because of the heavy money he spent (as we all know, this is the best kind of friendship) and how many Rolex he had stored in the bank vault, etc. I didn't stick around. But my observation is that things have got better! Maybe the fact that the Rolex market has apparently gone off the boil has something to do with it.
    My observation too - and for the better!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

Earliest joiner still active on TZ-UK?

I joined very late 2004. I recall some people like huertacilla or “cilla” as he was known as - what a character!

It felt like a different kind of forum then, geared more towards a military watch fora. Which was mainly why I joined .

Eddie was in the throes of the prs3 and 4 and I think the prs29a and speedbirds production was coming to fruition and the hot topic of debate. It may of been out actually.

I’d marvel in the reviews of Crusaders military specification watch coverage and revel in Ewan’s site watcharama for detailed coverage of Eddie’s watches . Each one scrutinised and photographed perfectly and I do drop into that from time to time . The site may have been called something similar back then .

Traser , luminox and Ray Wong divers seemed to get a lot more coverage also and colourful members like Velorum , Ming Thein , abraxas (as mentioned )and others all added to the lineup .

It may be the Mandela effect at play but that’s how I remember it when I joined although the watches I mention were the ones I was actively interested in and I am certain a wider range was posted .

Can’t believe it’s been so long ago .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by bond; 21st October 2023 at 13:48.

My first son was born in 2000 and I was a member for a number of years before that. Lost my login at some point and rejoined but I’m guessing I was a member from within a year of the beginning of the site? I’ve probably dipped into the site nearly daily in that time, although my interest in buying and owning watches has diminished over time I still like a browse of the forum!

Who would have thought that watches were to become so popular? Great, isn't it?

Blog Entries
    Who would have thought that watches were to become so popular? Great, isn't it?
    Uhhhhh……
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

My first iteration on the forum was 2003 ish, I think my member number was 204 ‘ New Scuba’ was my username, joined RLT at a similar time, fell out with Eddie a few years later and got deleted, rejoined some time later.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Who was the guy who took a pic of his rolex with a dog turd on it ?
    He was an oddball as I recall

I remember the TMS debacle. Lol. wasnt she, a he ?
    Still owes me for a strap I made. Never got paid for it
    Last edited by gasgasbones; 22nd October 2023 at 18:32.

1st November 2002…. I was a mere baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk