closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scaring southerners

Master

Scaring southerners

We arrived in Cornwall yesterday having had the easiest journey down here for many a year. Off we go this morning for a steady walk around the lanes. Numerous couples walk towards us some chatting in the usual loud southern fashion. A cheery hello is received with total silence or even a look of terror. We are accustomed “up north” to everyone we encounter greeting us with a welcoming comment but these fokkers down here are a miserable lot.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Best you bugger off back home then.

That'll be tourists you encountered then, not Cornish.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Best you bugger off back home then.
    Proves my theory

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    We arrived in Cornwall yesterday having had the easiest journey down here for many a year. Off we go this morning for a steady walk around the lanes. Numerous couples walk towards us some chatting in the usual loud southern fashion. A cheery hello is received with total silence or even a look of terror. We are accustomed “up north” to everyone we encounter greeting us with a welcoming comment but these fokkers down here are a miserable lot.
    So not Cornish - as someone else pointed out you ran into some Tourists.

When cycling through Cornwall a few years back, I’ve found literally all the people super friendly. Quite surprised to read this - probably tourists as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst there is a degree of anxiety here I find it hard to believe that rude locals are the norm.

Cornwall is one of the friendliest places I've lived.

As stated above - more likely to be a rude visitor. I expect they will complain bitterly about paying there two quid to cross back over the boarder when they leave

As an aside - whilst there is a small but noticeable nationalist movement here it appears to be orientated more towards civic nationalism as opposed to the ethnic type. In short all are welcome provided they embrace local norms and cultural references. Seems fair enough to me. Ive never understood how people seem oblivious to how rude they are being by living in a place and then moaning about it. I seemed to find that a lot among people from the North who were living in the South East. I lived in the South East for nearly 40 years, moving there from Northumberland and regarded it as home - often being quite defensive of it. I certainly wouldn't make a point of criticizing it or being rude. I follow the same ethos here. If somewhere is so awful, irritating or whatever why live or go on holiday there? Best be off back to your original area I would have thought! Sorry - off on a bit of tangent there.
    Last edited by Velorum; 5th July 2020 at 21:23.

Proves my theory
    The Cornish are like the folks from Yorkshire, they don't suffer fools lightly. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Haven’t been to Cornwall for 20+ years, but I remember the folks being friendly.

Master
    I’m not sure there are any Cornish folk left in Cornwall.

You weren’t eating scones with the cream and jam the wrong way around were you?
    Cheers..
    Jase

According to official figures there are 568,210

Though some may have gone on holiday yesterday and not be at home

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You weren’t eating scones with the cream and jam the wrong way around were you?
    I think that may in fact be illegal

I have to keep a low profile on such matters as I don't eat dairy products due to an intolerance

To make up for this I am prepared to dress up as a pirate if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    .....whilst there is a small but noticeable nationalist movement here .....
    Known affectionately as the OOOOarrrA

Master
    Whilst there is a degree of anxiety here I find it hard to believe that rude locals are the norm.

Cornwall is one of the friendliest places I've lived.

As stated above - more likely to be a rude visitor. I expect they will complain bitterly about paying there two quid to cross back over the boarder when they leave

As an aside - whilst there is a small but noticeable nationalist movement here it appears to be orientated more towards civic nationalism as opposed to the ethnic type. In short all are welcome provided they embrace local norms and cultural references. Seems fair enough to me. Ive never understood how people seem oblivious to how rude they are being by living in a place and then moaning about it. I seemed to find that a lot among people from the North who were living in the South East. I lived in the South East for nearly 40 years, moving there from Northumberland and regarded it as home - often being quite defensive of it. I certainly wouldn't make a point of criticizing it or being rude. I follow the same ethos here. If somewhere is so awful, irritating or whatever why live or go on holiday there? Best be off back to your original area I would have thought! Sorry - off on a bit of tangent there.
    Maybe as a “northerner” here you can empathise. We spend as much time in Northumberland and the lakes as we do down here and you certainly get a different reception. i guess it’s probably more down to a northern welcome than a southern unwelcome

You can`t just be in an area for a flash in time with strangers and make comments about how the people are there.

Where i live in Wales there are massive amount of people here who have come from away and they brought their bad manners with them from wherever they were from originally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Known affectionately as the OOOOarrrA
    No, my luver that is Somerset,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_gZ3eCFnaE
    Last edited by genesos; 5th July 2020 at 22:00.

Maybe as a “northerner” here you can empathise. We spend as much time in Northumberland and the lakes as we do down here and you certainly get a different reception. i guess it’s probably more down to a northern welcome than a southern unwelcome
    Well it feels closer to a 'Northern' welcome than anywhere else Ive spent time and I include Bury, Sheffield and Doncaster in that. In fact I would say that it is more friendly and non judgemental than the area I was born and raised in - West of Newcastle on the Northumberland border.

Anyway, we all have our own perception of these things I guess.

Sorry that you have such a negative one of these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    No, that is Somerset
    What is Somerset seeking independence from?

Master
    In short all are welcome provided they embrace local norms and cultural references. Seems fair enough to me. Ive never understood how people seem oblivious to how rude they are being by living in a place and then moaning about it.If somewhere is so awful, irritating or whatever why live or go on holiday there? Best be off back to your original area I would have thought!
    Totally agree, some members here ie SJ need to take note .

OOOOarrrA

No, that is Somerset
    Robert might disagree

Master
    Pasties

Blog Entries
    Perhaps they just had a bad day, and didn’t appreciate the cheery “hello from up t’north” greetings. Or perhaps it was the “result of an anxiety”.

If they're unfriendly then they're probably from Winchester.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Or maybe Bristol

Not surprised, even their cathedral is depressing

Last edited by Velorum; 5th July 2020 at 21:56.

I pedalled down there to Lands End from Durham in 1977, took me 6 days IIRC, via Devon and along a bit.. The cream teas were a very enjoyable way to refuel. The folks were very friendly, although I wasn't wearing any woad to be fair. ;-) Here's the bike at Lands End, still have the Carlton Clubman frame hanging up . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I pedalled down there to Lands End from Durham in 1977, took me 6 days IIRC, via Devon and along a bit.. The cream teas were a very enjoyable way to refuel. The folks were very friendly, although I wasn't wearing any woad to be fair. ;-) Here's the bike at Lands End, still have the Carlton Clubman frame hanging up . . .

Amazing

I'm a scouser and if I met someone from Doncaster on a country lane in Cornwall I wouldn't say hello either. Now, f*** off …

On a similar theme, we stayed in a family friend's house in Salcombe, Devon, about 10 years ago. I hated the place instantly because it was packed to the gills with Howard's Way yachting twats. The entire week we were there I didn't hear a single Devon accent and I started to feel guilty that we were partly contributing to the horror. One evening, we were sitting outside a pub with our 3-year-old and a lady approached with a tin and asked if we'd like to 'sponsor' her daughter to sail the Indian Ocean. I asked what charity the journey was raising funds for but was met with a vacant stare. She muttered something about, "She just wants to do it for the experience". I bit my tongue and politely declined.

Then on the last day a bloke came round to check the flat and take the keys. Guess what? He was from Devon. I got talking to him about the place and he told us he went to the school opposite the flat, which was now more flats, and he lived 30 miles away because he couldn't afford to live in the place he was born.

From what I understand, Cornwall is pretty similar.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 5th July 2020 at 22:26.

That's impressive!

You might have been given free cream teas if you'd dressed like this

That's impressive!

You might have been given free cream teas if you'd dressed like this

That kilt affair might be a little draughty on the down hills Ian. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

That kilt affair might be a little draughty on the down hills Ian. ;-)
    Not a problem Bob, in comparison to the North East it never gets that cold here!

Tricky one

They need a catch phrase in any event

For example

I'd advise the OP to steer well clear of London then if he uses the Cornish as a benchmark for 'unfriendly'!

Or maybe Bristol
    Hold on, how did Bristol get dragged into this?
    Nothing unfriendly here in the capital of the West Country (that'll annoy someone, I'm sure), unless you fall into one of the many categories of people that offend locals. Just like anywhere else.
    Dave

ps - I am sure that Somerset wants to gain independence form the attitude that they are all charming, thick, cider-drinking yokels like the Wurzels.

Master
    I was born and bred in Devon and it's a bit unfair to label West Country folk as unfriendly.

Every year we welcome you into our homeland when you block every road and pinch our parking spaces. You keep buying our houses either to rent them out to someone more loud and drunken than yourselves or choose to live in it for just a couple of weeks a year and hence my parents had to move over 100 miles away because we were priced out of the market.

You leave tons of litter all over the place, scare horses for fun, leave gates unlocked and drive camper vans everywhere and tip your s**t out of the door and drive off as far and fast as possible to avoid detection.

Despite all that, we still welcome you with a smile.

^^^^^

Ah, scorn and misery alert!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm a scouser and if I met someone from Doncaster on a country lane in Cornwall I wouldn't say hello either. Now, f*** off …

On a similar theme, we stayed in a family friend's house in Salcombe, Devon, about 10 years ago. I hated the place instantly because it was packed to the gills with Howard's Way yachting twats. The entire week we were there I didn't hear a single Devon accent and I started to feel guilty that we were partly contributing to the horror. One evening, we were sitting outside a pub with our 3-year-old and a lady approached with a tin and asked if we'd like to 'sponsor' her daughter to sail the Indian Ocean. I asked what charity the journey was raising funds for but was met with a vacant stare. She muttered something about, "She just wants to do it for the experience". I bit my tongue and politely declined.

Then on the last day a bloke came round to check the flat and take the keys. Guess what? He was from Devon. I got talking to him about the place and he told us he went to the school opposite the flat, which was now more flats, and he lived 30 miles away because he couldn't afford to live in the place he was born.

From what I understand, Cornwall is pretty similar.
    Salcombe is two very different places depending on when you visit: in the holiday season or out of it. Over 80% of the properties there are second homes and mostly owned by home counties people. Accordingly, the average property price is Ł730,000 so there's not many locals living there. I like the place, but flatly refuse to go anywhere near it in the summer holidays.

R

Despite all that, we still welcome you your money with a smile.
    FTFY.

R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I was born and bred in Devon and it's a bit unfair to label West Country folk as unfriendly.

Every year we welcome you into our homeland when you block every road and pinch our parking spaces. You keep buying our houses either to rent them out to someone more loud and drunken than yourselves or choose to live in it for just a couple of weeks a year and hence my parents had to move over 100 miles away because we were priced out of the market.

You leave tons of litter all over the place, scare horses for fun, leave gates unlocked and drive camper vans everywhere and tip your s**t out of the door and drive off as far and fast as possible to avoid detection.

Despite all that, we still welcome you with a smile.
    Could almost be the Spanish talking about the Brit expat community....

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Could almost be the Spanish talking about the Brit expat community....
    Not just me thinking that then - sounds like irony is alive and kicking in sunny Spain.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Last year when we were looking to move we saw a house up this end we liked but couldn’t look round them because they weren’t finished. We were away to Cornwall in the August and the wife found the same builder doing a development about 20 miles where we were staying. Luckily they had the houses down there we were interested in and the missus wangled a look round. Obviously the same style but 95K price difference between home and there and to me they were more attractive as they were made of the Cornish stone. Having been down there many times over the years I always thought Devon and Cornwall property was still good value compared to other places in the country.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 6th July 2020 at 07:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The Cornish are like the folks from Yorkshire, they don't suffer fools lightly. ;-)

R
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman, you just can't tell them much!

Of course the OP could have just met some of those people who believe you can catch Covid-19 by making eye contact.

I live in sunny Hampshire and during the lockdown most people will respond to a smile or a greeting, but about 20% just pretend not to see or hear you, it's definitely a Covid-19 thing.

That said, if they were Londoners they're probably used to the only strangers who talk to them being muggers.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    You can always tell a Yorkshireman, you just can't tell them much!
    They are generally too busy telling you that Yorkshire is God’s Own Country and that Yorkshire is the best place In the world anywhere and that Yorkshire people are the salt of the Earth etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ps - I am sure that Somerset wants to gain independence form the attitude that they are all charming, thick, cider-drinking yokels like the Wurzels.
    I was born and brung up in Zomerzet and weaned on proper flat zider out of old plastic bottles. We are are charming,thick yokels .....mainly because of the zider

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I was born and bred in Devon and it's a bit unfair to label West Country folk as unfriendly

< grumpy rant ensues>

You have the biggest gift for irony that I have ever seen.....you even beat Andyg on that front.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    He’s right.....everyone I know from Winchester is a right miserable git.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I was born and brung up in Zomerzet and weaned on proper flat zider out of old plastic bottles. We are are charming,thick yokels .....mainly because of the zider
    That stuff is brutal. When I lived there I was introduced to the cloudy stuff at a 'cider pub' and got so completely poleaxed on it I never drank it again.

R

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    For knocking you on your arse, pop to the blue anchor in Helston and sup a few spingo.

The west country is my part of the world and it is beautiful, since the 90's it's been known that local people are being outed from their local communities mainly by M25 owners wanting a holiday home.

This drove the prices up and killed some communities as come winter lots of homes were empty resulting in no income for small local business, come the summer its time to cash in but its all feast and famine with no local people at the heart of these small villages during winter.

People are friendly in this part of the world but please remember that recently they had to deal with was an exodus of M25'ers loaded with Covid heading to holiday homes in the south west, welcoming hello's were not on most peoples minds..

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    For knocking you on your arse, pop to the blue anchor in Helston and sup a few spingo.
    ISWYM.

IPA 4.5% A clean tasting hoppy beer, originally brewed for Queen Elizabeth II's Golden Julilee in 2002.
    Middle 5.0% The most popular beer. Originally brewed to welcome home those men who fought in the First World War. It is a traditional sweet Cornish bitter, with an unforgettable flavour.
    Bragget 6.0% Originally brewed in 2001 to celebrate the anniversary of Helston's first charter, which was granted in 1201. The beer gets its deceptively smooth, sweet taste from apple and honey, but beware it isn't a beer for lightweights.
    Special 6.5% Brewed for the first time to celebrate the marriage of Prince Charles and Diana, this magnificent beer is one of the strongest brewed in Britain today. Dark in colour and sweet in taste, this is the crem-de-la-crem of real ales. At Christmas and Easter, an extra special brew is available at 7.6 ABV.

Proper job!

R