Evening all,

The title may seem a little odd, the word 'viable' can be used in a variety of ways but in this case it's the idea of making a product that's financially viable.

Basically, I'm a cabinetmaker down in Dorset. My day to day is making built in furniture, cabinets, wardrobes, kitchens and so on. I absolutely love my job and I'm blessed to be able to operate even in times such as these, but as I actually have mentioned in the past on here, I'd really like to get a watch box going. All of my work is entirely bespoke, as those of you who have renovated houses you will know that no two walls in a house are the same! So essentially what I'd like to do is have something a little more linear to make, a product that isn't so taxing on the brain but still is something that exhibits the minimal mid century inspired furniture I like to make.

So to the question of financial viability... Essentially, the main idea of this to construct it from Birch plywood. For those who don't know, Birch plywood has become rather popular in the last decade or so, it's that beautiful pale plywood with the many laminates on the end grain. It's essentially a furniture grade plywood that we (my brother and I) make all of our carcasses from and in some cases entire wardrobes and kitchens out of it. Here's an example just incase you don't know what I'm talking about:

Further to this, joinery is a huge consideration. Making a fully mitred (joined at 45 degree) box is a great deal more time consuming than a simple butt joint, so the idea is to work this into the design itself, accentuating the end grain laminate of the plywood and using a range of chamfers and angled cuts to play with light and shadow on the piece to add interest.

So to put this in perspective, a fully solid wood box, of traditional mitred construction with a spray lacquered finish I'd have to start at £400 for something measuring around 300mm x 200mm. To make this same box in the Birch ply, with a spray lacquered finish I could start at somewhere much more like £100 in the same size.

I wouldn't say the box is any lesser in looks, function or strength being made in the plywood, what I essentially need to know is if this style of box is at all appealing to people? I appreciate it does suit a more mid century aesthetic, which does sit quite well at the moment, but it's not for everyone.

Here are the initial renders I've drawn up. I've also added the idea of maybe painted side panels to suit, or even formica panels added (even more mid century!). The lid would be hinge via stainless pins through the side of the side panels, this would like be some kind of torx bolt so that it can be removed for the spray finishing.

For the watch holders I think I'd go with some kind of cylindrical foam to keep it simple, maybe even some kind of coloured pipe lagging with a timber dowel core, thats to be decided but watch holders and dividers really add onto the price, so I'd have to work it out

The reason I'm being so particular with the price is that I know this kind of thing isn;t the sort of thing everyone wants to invest in. I want to see if I can make something that's sustainably designed and still offers people the option of basic deciding any kind of size you like for this box - it is completely scalable and not limited by lengths of timber given how the plywood stock is so wonderfully consistent compared.

This would be an item that's entirely made from scratch by me in the workshop down in Dorset, this isn't something I'm pitching to a manufacturer. It would even be sprayed in my sprayroom by me

Obviously this is a for profit idea, and if I were to sell any via here I'd follow the dealer rules in SC