closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 6139 Pogue

Blog Entries

Seiko 6139 Pogue

So, I am interested in buying a Pogue but know nothing about vintage etc. I know it’s a veritable minefield of Frankens and suchlike but is there anything in particular I should be looking for, and what should I expect to pay for a good one.
    Thanks in advance people.
    James

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Due to the price of these increasing loads over the last few years it is a minefield like you say, all parts are ‘faked’ or if you like, aftermarket, if it looks too fresh and new, it probably is, check the ( dimpled) crown turns the inner chapter ring correctly, the internal gear can wear out and isn’t available. There are various variants for dial printing you could research.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Its an absolute minefield out there. Also they are all getting on for what is fairly complex piece.

The last one I had was in great condition and all genuine - however the chrono reset was very hit or miss and this drove me potty. Duncan couldn't improve it and if he can't then I don't know who can.

If only Seiko would reissue this one.

Last edited by Velorum; 5th July 2020 at 17:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Its an absolute minefield out there. Also they are all getting on for what is fairly complex piece.

The last one I had was in great condition and all genuine - however the chrono reset was very hit or miss and this drove me potty. Duncan couldn't improve it and if he can't then I don't know who can.

If only Seiko would reissue this one.

Second this.

Wanted a yellow one for years and after acquiring 2 with various issues (chrono reset problems, crunchy winding) i just gave up.

I managed to find a good one about three years ago after a lot of looking. One thing I will say is be aware that service parts for them are now getting super rare, so a lot of good indis won't take them in any more.

Master
    The best advice I can give to the op, or indeed anyone else interested in buying one of these, is to put a picture or link of any potential purchase on here and seek out opinions. They really are a minefield and the fake parts are getting better every year, but there are still plenty on here who can spot the better fakes from a mile away and will be happy to advise.

Master
    If you buy one needing a bezel, I think that I still have one in my 'parts' box from years ago. I'm fairly sure that it's kosher. It's used but in good order and has been with me for at least 15 years, so certainly not a recent aftermarket part.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of the input guys, I think I need to do some serious reading before even contemplating. Damn this hobby/ madness.

GQ jumping in with an article on them in the last week or so probably isn’t going to make your search any easier either unfortunately!

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/watche...39-chronograph

I’ve always wanted one of these but think I came to the same conclusion that I’m nowhere near well informed enough to find a good one! Good luck with the research and the hunt

I am interested to know a bit more about my watch. As far as I can tell, it APPEARS original and the seller thought it was too (bought from the forum) but who knows. I had it on sales corner briefly and someone suggested the insert was aftermarket but my research suggested otherwise.

The other thing to look out for in general is the dial degradation around the second hand that looks like scratches - some cursory research appears to confirm it is not uncommon but nobody knows the cause

Blog Entries
    All genuine or not I obviously cannot comment, however, it looks lovely. Even if it does have service/ replacement parts just enjoy the watch.

Master
    A/M bezel insert but the rest is original.

Regarding the black marks on the dial, I'm led to believe the dials are made from brass, plated silver then yellow lacquered and the black marks are due to oxidisation from the silver and brass reacting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    A/M bezel insert but the rest is original.

Regarding the black marks on the dial, I'm led to believe the dials are made from brass, plated silver then yellow lacquered and the black marks are due to oxidisation from the silver and brass reacting.
    Interesting, thanks. Useful to hear a second opinion that the insert is aftermarket - I will continue to wear and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    So, I am interested in buying a Pogue but know nothing about vintage etc. I know it’s a veritable minefield of Frankens and suchlike but is there anything in particular I should be looking for, and what should I expect to pay for a good one.
    Thanks in advance people.
    James
    Are you after a gold dial or are you also interested in the blue dial? If so I have a very nice one that I was going to put up on SC, I had it restored and fully serviced by Thewatchbloke (Duncan), its a very nice watch but not getting any wear time so I'm being brutal and cutting my collection down..

There's a blue one in SC at the moment. Looks very nice although not the best pictures. Case is ok but definitely re-finished/brushed. To me the crystal and the dial look too clean so ? aftermarket, although lume pips and hands seem to match in colour, but then that could mean hands are replacements as well. But if it looks great on the wrist, 400 odd notes doesn't seem to be out of the ball park. It hasn't been snapped up, so am I missing something?

Maybe not the most member-friendly thing to do, pick holes in a watch currently on SC?

Yet I acknowledge that it would be helpful for a tutorial on Pogueirectitude by those who know.

Once I have finished my household chores, I may post a pic of mine and and at my request let loose the Dogs of Pogue so that the less knowledgeable may be better educated.

By the way - is it my turn to poke my tongue into my cheek and opine that only the gold face maketh a Pogue?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Maybe not the most member-friendly thing to do, pick holes in a watch currently on SC?

Yet I acknowledge that it would be helpful for a tutorial on Pogueirectitude by those who know.

Once I have finished my household chores, I may post a pic of mine and and at my request let loose the Dogs of Pogue so that the less knowledgeable may be better educated.

By the way - is it my turn to poke my tongue into my cheek and opine that only the gold face maketh a Pogue?
    Wasn't intending to pick holes in it, more to see whether I have any kind of eye for assessing originality and maybe discuss the ins and outs of old Seikos (because this is a watch discussion forum, isn't it?). I think the one on SC looks very nice and I'm quite tempted. I'm not averse to replacement parts, it's probably inevitable in old watches. There was a 6309 that went in minutes (?underpriced)and I'm intrigued why this one didn't as well. Educate me.
    I'm more than happy to remove my post above though, if it offends. Apologies to the seller.

No no, good point, I too would like to be educated on the finer points of what makes a nice Pogue.
    I will offer mine up for criticism later; that might help. I am a journeyman collector, not bothered about any defects that for purists would knock the shine off a piece. If I like it I like it, warts n all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Wasn't intending to pick holes in it, more to see whether I have any kind of eye for assessing originality and maybe discuss the ins and outs of old Seikos (because this is a watch discussion forum, isn't it?). I think the one on SC looks very nice and I'm quite tempted. I'm not averse to replacement parts, it's probably inevitable in old watches. There was a 6309 that went in minutes (?underpriced)and I'm intrigued why this one didn't as well. Educate me.
    I'm more than happy to remove my post above though, if it offends. Apologies to the seller.
    That 6309 was a good honest original watch ( abet a bit over polished maybe) at a decent price, aftermarket parts on 6309s is much more widespread and original ones are possibly in a minority these days, certainly ones that come up for sale.
    Last edited by JasonM; 8th July 2020 at 10:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    There's a blue one in SC at the moment. Looks very nice although not the best pictures. Case is ok but definitely re-finished/brushed. To me the crystal and the dial look too clean so ? aftermarket, although lume pips and hands seem to match in colour, but then that could mean hands are replacements as well. But if it looks great on the wrist, 400 odd notes doesn't seem to be out of the ball park. It hasn't been snapped up, so am I missing something?
    That one is all original right down to the crystal and the case doesn't look refinished to me. It's a good price and the seller would have no problem getting £400 if he was prepared to put up with the mouthbreather's on Ebay. It's a relatively small market on here and sometimes you'll struggle to sell regardless of the price, but if I was after a Blue dial Pogue I'd be all over that one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    If you're going down that road then one could argue that a true Pogue is a 6005 model (US Market) from the early 70's, so yellow Resist dial and no Chronograph text.

That one is all original right down to the crystal and the case doesn't look refinished to me. It's a good price and the seller would have no problem getting £400 if he was prepared to put up with the mouthbreather's on Ebay. It's a relatively small market on here and sometimes you'll struggle to sell regardless of the price, but if I was after a Blue dial Pogue I'd be all over that one.
    See? I have a lot to learn, but it certainly attracted me either way.

I sold a Pogue not long ago to a fellow "mouthbreather" on eBay and it did go for over £400

OK guys, anyone out there generous enough to criticise my "Pogue"?

I shall start by sayng that it isn't the pure version, not having the early "resist" dial, and by having the chronograph text on the dial; what else?
    I don't mind what anyone says, I love the watch, didn't pay a lot (from a trusted TZer) and it ain't for sale, so do your worst.

Last edited by unclealec; 8th July 2020 at 19:30.

Looks good to me, correct teardrop seconds hand too.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I got this off fleabay years ago, Been told it's original but not a Pogue as it's a 6002 case and the true Pogue is in a similar 6005 case!

I have a silver dialled one too and was told this was called the Aussie Pogue, No idea why though!!

I also had a blue dialled one that was in great condition but ended up selling it to a lad that wanted one, Could kick myself now as I didn't need the money and loved the watch

Found a better pic of Goldie!!

John..

Apprentice

Red face beautiful

such a lovely one!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I got this off fleabay years ago, Been told it's original but not a Pogue as it's a 6002 case and the true Pogue is in a similar 6005 case!

I have a silver dialled one too and was told this was called the Aussie Pogue, No idea why though!!

I also had a blue dialled one that was in great condition but ended up selling it to a lad that wanted one, Could kick myself now as I didn't need the money and loved the watch

Found a better pic of Goldie!!

John..
    John, I don’t think the silver one is the ‘Aussie Pogue’, I think that is the yellow dial one with the black chapter ring, these were at one point thought to be made up by putting the wrong chapter ring in them but it has come out that it was possibly a Australian market variant, maybe
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Some lovely watches in this thread now, those yellow dials look lovely, especially given their age.

Stunning pictures indeed. Great use of colour. Would love one one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk