closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which T-shirts?

Master

Which T-shirts?

Looking through some old photos, I'm realising that some of my Tshirts are older than my children and I need to refresh my wardrobe in this department. I'm tall, thin, wiry with little bulk. What brands might I look at? I tend to wear plain - polo and open neck.

Master
    It sounds like I am a similar build to you (without the tall bit). For polo shirts I find the Ralph Lauren custom fit/fitted range work well. Just go with your usual size and they come up more fitted so don't balloon out around the waist etc.

Colourful Standard are great fitting simple and 100% organic cotton. I get mine from End. and wait for them to have a 20% off code.

Worth reading about the harm from non-organic cotton. It’s worth spending the money to get 100% organic IMO - https://www.swedishlinens.com/blogs/...ntional-cotton
    Last edited by dougair; 5th July 2020 at 15:52.

Uniqlo are excellent, for polo's Crew Clothing, and Hackett.

Ralph Lauren custom fit for polos, regular M&S for t-shirts, and a mix of M&S David Gandy t-shirts, M&S cool breeze sleeved vests, and M&S sleeved thermal vests as undershirts.

Sleeved vests are their words not mine!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Crew are my go to for tees and polos.

Pierre Cardin seem to be designed for slim people - none of mine fit

Blog Entries
    Sunspel for T-shirts, John Smedley for jumpers.

It’s all you need.

Pitch.

Uniqlo fit me well and are good value and quality. The best quality t-shirts in terms of the most durable material I've bought were from Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister.

Master
    For basic bog standard T-Shirts I used to buy branded ones until I discovered primark. The bog standard £3 ones are a far better fit and quality than a lot of the quite expensive branded stuff about. The wash well, hold there shape and don’t loose colour.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Sunspel for T-shirts, John Smedley for jumpers.

It’s all you need.

Pitch.
    This X 10

Sunspel have a sale on now too

Journeyman
    I have had a few Albam T-Shirts recently and been very impressed. They are well made and don’t shrink in the wash. The shape is good for middle age men who have not spread (yet anyway).

https://www.albamclothing.com/

I would also second Sunspel they are top notch.

Son of a Tailor make bespoke t-shirts based on your actual size and shape. Relatively expensive but great quality.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    For basic bog standard T-Shirts I used to buy branded ones until I discovered primark. The bog standard £3 ones are a far better fit and quality than a lot of the quite expensive branded stuff about. The wash well, hold there shape and don’t loose colour.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    There’s a reason they can charge £3!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    This X 10

Goodo, cheers.

The N. Hollywood t looked great but it’s like a bell tent. Steer clear.

Ta

Pitch

Master
    Norse Projects are fabulous quality and wash like ribbons

Banned
    Polo Ralph Lauren polos, try both custom fit and slim fit to see which one suits you and wait for the sales or visit Bicester village where you’ll pay around £50 for a £110 t shirt

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MDEM1 View Post
    I have had a few Albam T-Shirts recently and been very impressed. They are well made and don’t shrink in the wash. The shape is good for middle age men who have not spread (yet anyway).

https://www.albamclothing.com/

I would also second Sunspel they are top notch.
    Agree with the above. If you are happy to spend this sort of money on t-shirts, can also recommend Folk if you are after well made and long lasting stuff with minimal/no branding.

I really like Uniqlo t-shirts. They are reasonably priced and keep their shape well in the wash.

Blog Entries
    Hate the modern fashion for ultra short sleeves on polo shirts so thats the first thing I look at.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I only wear merino now for all my casual needs. No odour - can wear week or 2 before requiring a wash which also means I don't have a clutter of t-shirts. I suggest everyone to give it a try - so much nicer. I mostly wear icebreaker, but Arket also do nice ones. Basically any merino if the fit is good you should really try. No going back.

Craftsman
    I have recently stumbled on Jack and Jones t-shirts and so far I'm very happy with the product for a small price compared to some other brands

Journeyman
    Uniqlo, J Crew or Banana Republic for plain T's. Sunspel are nice too but expensive for just a T shirt. I like their Riviera polos though (especially in the sale). Classic slim fit Lacoste polos are good and Orlebar Brown is worth a look.

Journeyman
    Sunspel are good but most of my plain t-shirts are Velva Sheen. I've also got some 3xsixteen ones but they're really heavy. Not ideal if it's warm.

If you'd like some cheaper ones then Bella and Canvas ones fit and wash pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    There’s a reason they can charge £3!
    What reason is that? I've found they're similar quality to branded items. Or are they cheap because they expolit workers worse than the more expensive brands?

My only issue with them is that they are so cheap, it's hard not to think of them as disposablr.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    This X 10

£70 for a t-shirt? I don't mind spending but it's got to be one hell of a t-shirt for £70

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    £70 for a t-shirt? I don't mind spending but it's got to be one hell of a t-shirt for £70

They are excellent quality and are made in EU and UK factories rather than Far East or Asian sweatshops.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    What reason is that? I've found they're similar quality to branded items. Or are they cheap because they expolit workers worse than the more expensive brands?

My only issue with them is that they are so cheap, it's hard not to think of them as disposablr.
    I think you’ve answered your own question.

Which T-shirts?

Couple of comments on Sunspel.

Sizing rather odd - whilst I’m usually a M or L elsewhere, I’m a S or M in their T-shirts/polos. Strangely there isn’t much between the sizes and either just about okay.

Secondly (and less relevant to T’s) whilst the polos are excellent as received they soon get out of shape with washing so don’t let the Mrs near them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    They are excellent quality and are made in EU and UK factories rather than Far East or Asian sweatshops.
    I have a few Sunspel teeshirts. They are not worth £70 IMO. When they are on sale they come down to at-least-Turpin-wore-a-mask levels vs. the grand larceny that is the RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I have a few Sunspel teeshirts. They are not worth £70 IMO. When they are on sale they come down to at-least-Turpin-wore-a-mask levels vs. the grand larceny that is the RRP.
    Actually, I should have clarified. I've only bought the polo shirts (an organic cotton and a couple of Rivieras) and only in the sale when they were about £40. So you're probably right.

Folk make good T-shirts, but if you want a longer T-shirt try Wood Wood. I'm only an average build 5' 11" and they seem to come up nearly thigh length on me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The best fitting T-shirts I've found for me are the slim fit crew-neck efforts from Next.

Undoubtedly made in a sweat-shop somewhere in Bangladesh at only £6 each though.
    They do seem to hold their shape and colour well with washing.

https://www.next.co.uk/style/st056123/155233#155233

I'm tempted to try the sonofatailor T-shirts though... they use Portuguese sweat-shops, so are bound to be much better

https://www.sonofatailor.com/howitworks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I wouldn’t pay that for a T shirt made in Turkey, have a look at Elgin Clothing, cheaper and you can support the UK.

Master
    Blog Entries

Which T-shirts?

Sunspel fan here, like others have said keep an eye out for sales.

Tailored ones were decent too.

I would also have a look out for colourful standard for t shirts, polos and sweats.

As a wild card, one of the best t shirts I have found are the plain pocket Ts from TRiCKETT. His stuff only comes up in short supply though.

His heavyweight sweaters are belting.

I might try one of the Elgin ones at £35.

Best cheap ones I've found are the plain F&F ones from Tesco. £8 for 2

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

My only issue with them is that they are so cheap, it's hard not to think of them as disposable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I think you’ve answered your own question.
    I should have said "inexpensive", to avoid anyone taking 'cheap' to mean 'poor quality'.

Apprentice
    I got some Weird Fish T-shirts last year and am extremely happy with them. I'd never heard of the brand before, but they had a massive sale on. Most of their shirts have designs on, but they do have plain ones.

www.weirdfish.co.uk

Which T-shirts?

Not a huge range, but Rohan t-shirts and especially their polo shirts are excellent quality. Lightweight, hold their shape and colour, and are very easy to pack small for travel without creasing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pinpull; 11th July 2020 at 11:10.