closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Skirting board radiators. Pros & cons?

Question Skirting board radiators. Pros & cons?

Guys, I’m considering buying a house that has these in most rooms. Probably installed 15 yrs ago. Should I just get rid of them or keep? Really don’t know much about them to be honest, so all advice appreciated. :)

Looks like a ‘wet’ system.

You’ll struggle to dry your clothes on them...

But seriously i’ve Seen these before and considered them for my extension. You can hide cables behind them too. Seem like a good option imo.

Master
    I had one in our house when we moved in in the spare room not sure why it was there cos there was a normal rad in there it was disconnected anyway and I just ripped it out

I remember my father installing the skirting radiators in our house 50 or so years ago; I didn't really care about drying clothes back then but it was nice to get up on winter mornings and not have to peel the nets off the windows

Apprentice
    I didn't even know they existed until I read this. I'm currently doing up my house so anything house related is of interest for me.

They sound like a great space saver, but are they enough to keep a room warm enough? Are the ones you have completely sealed, or are their holes in the top for warm air to circulate?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post
    I didn't even know they existed until I read this. I'm currently doing up my house so anything house related is of interest for me.

They sound like a great space saver, but are they enough to keep a room warm enough? Are the ones you have completely sealed, or are their holes in the top for warm air to circulate?
    The ones my father installed were basically finned copper pipes enclosed in a metal casing but with a moveable flap on the front edge to allow some sort of heat adjustment.
    The thing to bear in mind is that you won't be able to push things (beds etc.) against whichever wall you put them along.

p.s. we are talking about a long time ago so it's more than likely that technology has made these things slimmer and more efficient, unlike me.
    Last edited by Stanford; 5th July 2020 at 11:19.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    The ones my father installed were basically finned copper pipes enclosed in a metal casing but with a moveable flap on the front edge to allow some sort of heat adjustment.
    The thing to bear in mind is that you won't be able to push things (beds etc.) against whichever wall you put them along.

p.s. we are talking about a long time ago so it's more than likely that technology has made these things slimmer and more efficient, unlike me.
    So, it is/was a toss up between having a big radiator you couldn't have things up against, or the heated skirting where you would have a cleaner look with more wall space, but couldn't have anything up against.

I recently renovated the kitchen and put a vertical radiator in to get more floor space. It looks great and I get more floor space, but it's definitely not as warm as it states it should get, and cost a fortune compared to traditional radiators.

Very popular in the Netherlands.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by DragonJade View Post

There is a thread here where a member renovated a big house. I cannot remember the member’s name but I think he was a surveyor. Amazing renovation.

Skirting board radiators. Pros & cons?

Modern ones aren’t much thicker than normal skirting. https://www.discreteheat.com/thermas...ofiles-section

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    There is a thread here where a member renovated a big house. I cannot remember the member’s name but I think he was a surveyor. Amazing renovation.
    I've always loved the idea of buying a house to renovate like they do on TV, but I'm currently having nightmares dealing with my own house. It's one problem after another. For example, a month ago I was preping the walls for paint. I was scraping off some loose paint and it started coming off in great chunks - damp problem! Not 100% sure where the damp was coming from, but have a good idea. Left it for the plaster to dry out. Then last week I twigged that my dad's dodgy paint job on bits of the walls and ceiling is gloss. I've sanded everything down a bit and will have to prime everything before putting on my top coat. Hopefully will be able to paint it next week if the weather holds out.

Master
    I have/had them in my apartment in London. On that experience I would not go near them again. Very inefficient and struggled to keep the rooms warm. Maybe newer versions are better but it would take a huge leap for me to go near them again.
    Underfloor heating (if you can do it) is much better for a ‘clean’ look.

How do you get out of bed in the morning?
    "A man of little significance"

Red face

Implying too many questions? :)

This forum has a wealth of useful experience and information. Some things can of course be researched via Google, but personal experience and recommendations are invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    How do you get out of bed in the morning?

Master

Those were exactly the same as the ones I took out had a perforated metal box section cover couldn’t have been that much use as they looked as If they had been disconnected years ago

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Have you considered buying one of those 8 balls you shake and get an answer?

In the meantime here are some answers for the future to save you time:

Yes
    No
    Waitrose
    18.5”
    Dogs can’t look up
    Waist measurement is 34” but can be adjusted
    Water based paint
    +/- 23 minutes
    Blonde
    Inhale, wait 2 seconds, exhale.

You are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Aldi?
    Their Crémant is excellent, and just £8.50 per bottle. If you can find it in-store:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/exquisite-cre...04711000727200
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Just reviving this thread as we're in the process of buying a property that currently needs a new heating system and radiators etc but we're considering either Skirting Heating such as Thermaskirt or Underfloor Heating (most probably overlay type as we will have timber floors), which I know there's a lot of information about already.

If it's any good, Skirting Heating really appeals as I believe it can be retrofitted relatively easily and we'll still be able to live at the property whereas I guess we'd need to move out for UFH to be installed?

Any advice, thoughts and comments very welcome as always

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    Just reviving this thread as we're in the process of buying a property that currently needs a new heating system and radiators etc but we're considering either Skirting Heating such as Thermaskirt or Underfloor Heating (most probably overlay type as we will have timber floors), which I know there's a lot of information about already.

If it's any good, Skirting Heating really appeals as I believe it can be retrofitted relatively easily and we'll still be able to live at the property whereas I guess we'd need to move out for UFH to be installed?

Any advice, thoughts and comments very welcome as always
    I know the Discreteheat chaps. (Thermaskirt). PM me and I’ll put you in touch with the boss. Mate’s rates. Also, they only seek to sell to anyone whose application is well suited to the product so you’ll get very good pre sales advice.

FWIW, I also had it in my last property. It worked brilliantly. I’m always shocked when people query it really. It’s a long thin radiator and it goes all round the room, eliminating heat spots. What’s not to like?