closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch regulation

Craftsman

Watch regulation

Can anybody recommend somewhere to regulate a Seiko Prospex in the Glasgow area ,I tried Martin and co ,but they said to send it to Seiko ,there must be an easier option ,the rest of the watch is fine

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

Do it yourself its not to hard, here is a video I made of how to

https://youtu.be/zDt-ES3KNro

Grand Master
    Even with a timegrapher and plenty of experience, Seikos are a pain in the arse to regulate.

Miyotas are just as bad, no fine adjustment facility so you move the bloody regulator back and forth until you get it right, it can take a while.

Contrast this with an ETA 2836 or 2892, easy to adjust, if you’ve measured what its doing its easy to increase or decrease the rate by a couple of seconds/ day........not so with Seikos! Maybe that’s why they’re never regulated well from new?

Regulated mine recently and took a couple of days - adjust and time over 24 hours.Ran for a short while at +5 but last check was running at -20.They are nowhere near the quality of other watches as regards timekeeping and vary too much depending on position and state of wind.Sometimes there is a reason for spending many thousands on another make vs couple hundred on a seiko.Still love them though!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Seikos will give good timekeeping if regulated carefully and ( most important) kept in a high state of wind. That’s not so easy with the 7s26 and similar movements that can’t be hand- wound.

I've had Seiko and Miyota powered mechanicals in the past and whilst I did notice they were relatively terrible I wasn't as obsessed with analysing their timekeeping at the time as I am with my watches now. Just to pick up on something Paul said, in my limited experience the state of wind has a big impact on timekeeping so you'd need to be aware and factor this in to any adjustments made to regulation. My latest mechanical is a Sellita SW300-1 powered IWC Mark 18 and it drifts from +/-0 secs per day when worn constantly to -10 seconds per day when left to wind down. My other machanicals (Rolex powered) are similarly affected by state of wind albeit with a shorter variance (+1 sec at high wind to +3 at low wind).

Grand Master
    There are good reasons why a watch’s rate will cary with state of wind.

Typically, a watch in good condition, fully wound, will give a maximum amplitude in the 280-300 degrees range in the dial up position, losing around 30 degrees in the hanging positions. Lets assume it gives 300 degrees fully wound, it’ll drop to around 290 over the first hour and flatline at 285-290 for approx 12 hrs, after which it’ll start falling as the torque from the mainspring drops. For a good watch, the rate will barely change if it runs between 250 and 300 degrees, but once is falls below 250 the rate will start to deviate. If the watch is run at around 25% wind the amplitude will be in this range and the rate will differ significantly.

Hanging positions will always give lower amplitude, typically around 25-30 degrees for a good watch, so the amplitude will drop below 250 degrees when the watch us still at around 50% wind. The positional variation in rate between hanging and flat will become more pronounced at lower states of wind; this effect will also be observed for a watch giving lower amplitude because it needs servicing.

If the amplitude drops below 200 degrees some strange effects can be observed in the hanging positions if the balance is out of poise, a positive rate deviation can turn negative ( and vice versa) as the amplitude really falls off.

Generally, a quality modern movement (Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc) will have suffer less rate deviation as amplitude falls than a modest movement (Seiko, Miyota), if the watches are regulated carefully and run in a high state if wind the cheaper movements will compare well against the good stuff if they’re regulated properly, but they’ll invariably come out worse as they’re run at lower states of wind. In a practical scenario, where the owner varies his level of activity from day to day, the Seiko or Miyota will show more variation, some days it’ll do worse than others, whereas the ‘good ‘ watch will be more consistent.

Craftsman
    I don't expect cosc levels of accuracy ,but 5 mins a week is too much ,my steinhart 500 loses maybe 2mins a month which is fine ,even 1 1/2 or 2 mins a week is ok

Craftsman
    Iam wearing the watch at least 12hours a day ,I take it off at night and iam fairly active

Grand Master
    The watch may be running very well but needs regulating, you’ve no idea until it gets checked on a timegrapher. I would expect a Seiko to run at no worse than +/- 10 secs/ day, or better if its carefully regulated and the wear pattern is fairly consistent.

It may simply need regulating, or it may need stripping down and servicing. I’ve come across new Seiko NH35 movements that gave mediocre amplitude and responded well to being stripped and oiled properly.