closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On my wishlist - a PRS-25 with Tudor Ranger Hands?

Journeyman

Lightbulb On my wishlist - a PRS-25 with Tudor Ranger Hands?

Hi

I would really like a Smiths PRS-25 watch with Tudor Ranger Oyster Prince 1967 7995/0 hands - or maybe pencil hands, and the small Smiths logo from the Smiths Everest on the dial. Tudor has stopped making their 41 mm version, that a lot of people have been longing for in a smaller size.

Does anyone else long for a Smiths ranger in a 36-39mm size?

Maybe with the elusive Ranger in red :)

Last edited by Mads Gorm; 8th July 2020 at 10:27. Reason: Adding examples

Master
    My first preference would be for Tudor to make a Ranger closer in size and form to the original, rather than expend their energies on the next Pantone shade for the 58. If Timefactors were to produce a homage I'd prefer it to be partially inspired by Ranger II to avoid being too similar to the Everest.

I'd like the Smiths Strider to be 36mm, handset and dial as the Ranger with a date at 3 like the Ranger II, tapered oyster bracelet (not integrated), maybe a fluted bezel.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    My first preference would be for Tudor to make a Ranger closer in size and form to the original, rather than expend their energies on the next Pantone shade for the 58. If Timefactors were to produce a homage I'd prefer it to be partially inspired by Ranger II to avoid being too similar to the Everest.

I'd like the Smiths Strider to be 36mm, handset and dial as the Ranger with a date at 3 like the Ranger II, tapered oyster bracelet (not integrated), maybe a fluted bezel.

The Blue BB58 was a disappointment - still a nice watch though. The Ranger II is a cool watch, though I do prefer the original Ranger even over the Rolex 1016. I hope they bring it back in a smaller size, but I don't really think it is going to happen.

Craftsman
    Why are we talking about Tudor on the TimeFactors forum. I think the PRS-25 is fine just the way it is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Why are we talking about Tudor on the TimeFactors forum. I think the PRS-25 is fine just the way it is.
    Why not? Eddie makes beautiful, modern versions of watches that are no longer available. The Everest and Navigators are both homages. I realise a Ranger homage is unlikely, but one can wish.

More PBS than PRS.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman

Why not? Eddie makes beautiful, modern versions of watches that are no longer available. The Everest and Navigators are both homages. I realise a Ranger homage is unlikely, but one can wish.
    Agreed :-)

I guess that Eddie will always make the really great Rolex 1016 Homage - but I think it has been great that Eddie has made som variations - the white dial and the Everest. That are sort of combinations of the best of Smiths and Rolex. Personally I never really liked the Mercedes hands on the 1016, and I think a lot really like the Ranger.

I also say that Eddie was toying with making an Omega Ranchero / Omega railmaster homage - and I hope he does that.

But maybe more in this style -

Funny you mention a fluted bezel, I've often thought about doing a watch with a Thunderbird bezel.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Funny you mention a fluted bezel, I've often thought about doing a watch with a Thunderbird bezel.

Eddie
    Great idea - looks great.

Eddie

Isn't the Thunderbird supposed to have a turning bezel? I always thought it was the American name for the Turnograph.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Isn't the Thunderbird supposed to have a turning bezel? I always thought it was the American name for the Turnograph.
    The Thunderbird was a Datejust with a Turn-O-Graph bezel, there was advertising tie-in with the US Air Force aerobatic team. But yes, you are right, in Europe it was known as the Turnograph.

Craftsman
    I guess I should apologize about talking about other watches since it is correct that Eddie does make some excellent homage and the reintroduction of the Smith's Military. I would like to see what Eddie could do with a Smith's homage to the Dirty Dozen which I believe would be fitting since I believe that Smith's would have made a fine example for the Ministry of Defense if they wouldn't have been putting all their manufacturing capabilities in making instrumentation for the war efforts which was totally understandable.

Journeyman

Eddie
    Very nice indeed - though perhaps on metal bracelet and without the date and cyclops.

Master

Eddie
    You have one customer at least

Journeyman

You have one customer at least
    It the bezel reminds me a bit of the Universal Geneve Polerouter - it looks good:)

Eddie
    Just for info, that is called an "engine turned bezel".

I like the idea of a Ranger style (date) watch and I find enige turned bezels attractive - just not sure that a combination of both work well together. But maybe that's just me.

How about a slighlty beefed up 38mm case a la Tudor Jumbo, engine turned bezel, baton hands and a classier dial to match?

I've taken the date out but now need to find a 3 and I can't find one to match.

Eddie

Craftsman
    I've taken the date out but now need to find a 3 and I can't find one to match.

Eddie
    You could just modify a 9.

Master
    I like it both with and without date but I feel the date function helps to further differentiate the watch. I also like the bezel. I would prefer it on a bracelet.

Has the size of this been decided?

Quote Originally Posted by ah5168 View Post
    You could just modify a 9.

Well done that man.

Eddie

Has the size of this been decided?
    Probably 38mm. If quartz, it could be super slim.

Eddie

Journeyman

Eddie
    36mm

Master
    Between 36 and 38 would be good for me as long as the lug to lug is short. Quartz is an interesting proposition but I'd prefer an automatic. I would be happy with a 9015 if going with a date option or 9039 if not.

Quote Originally Posted by ah5168 View Post

Eddie
    An oyster style case around 37-38mm on a plain oyster bracelet, with lumed numerals and a quartz movement was the watch I was trying and failing to find in existence last month. Since Seiko discontinued the SBCA001 there's been a gap in need of filling.

A slim 38mm case would be wearable for most wrist sizes and, imho, suit a watch like this.

Eddie
    This is sounding (and looking) very good!

It doesn't suit a Thunderbird bezel so I did a couple of quick mock-ups.

Eddie

Journeyman

Eddie
    Brilliant - looks great. I absolutely love that the hands are white, and not mirror-shine, and the orange second hand.

Definitely looks better without the date, and on a metal bracelet, - I would vote for 38 mm, manual wound, drilled lugs and plexiglas :-)
    Last edited by Mads Gorm; 7th July 2020 at 18:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    Brilliant - looks great. I absolutely love that the hands are white, and not mirror-shine, and the orange second hand.

Definitely looks better without the date, and on a metal bracelet, - I would vote for 38 mm, manual wound, drilled lugs and plexiglas :-)
    I half agree. Love the look. I'd prefer a date but could live without. 38mm or under, drilled lugs, automatic, sapphire. The Ranger was an Oyster Price and hence an automatic, and while plexi looks lovely, sapphire is easier to live with.

Journeyman

I half agree. Love the look. I'd prefer a date but could live without. 38mm or under, drilled lugs, automatic, sapphire. The Ranger was an Oyster Price and hence an automatic, and while plexi looks lovely, sapphire is easier to live with.
    I really do like the look of Plexiglas, but I can live with all of your suggestions :-)

It is not that often you see white hands on a watch, the Omega speedmaster is an exception, and it is strange because it looks so damn good.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mads Gorm; 8th July 2020 at 02:00.

Eddie
    Auto, quartz, leather, bracelet, plexi, sapphire. Any combination you like. Just take my money now...

Craftsman

If Mr Platts made a white dial 38mm Smiths Turnograph i would buy it for sure:nobody makes anything like this anymore.....not even Rolex .The last white dial Rolex Turnograph datejust 116264 was only 36mm and was and is beyond my means.
    Last edited by silver centurian; 13th July 2020 at 22:29.

Journeyman

Question

Eddie
    How about someting like this?

I never noticed befor how much the 1953 Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is like the Rolex 1016. The Blancpain 50 fathoms design is form 1953 and the Rolex 1016 did not come out until 1959.

I wonder if Blancpain came up with the 3, 9, 12 design - or if the copied it from someone else.
    Last edited by Mads Gorm; 15th July 2020 at 20:17.

Craftsman
    How about someting like this?

I never noticed befor how much the Blancpain 55 fathoms is like the Rolex 1016. The Blancpain 55 fathoms design is form 1953 and the 1016 did not come out until 1959.

I wonder if Blancpain came up with the 3, 9, 12 design - or if the copied it from someone else.
    wow,the 55 fathoms style mock up looks very good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    wow,the 55 fathoms style mock up looks very good to me.
    Agreed seems more appropriate/ coherent as a whole watch to me than the Ranger version. Still would like to see a gilt hand set version of the Everest, though I'm probably in the minority.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th July 2020 at 11:37.

Journeyman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Agreed seems more appropriate/ coherent as a whole watch to me than the Ranger version. Still would like to see a gilt hand set version of the Everest, though I'm probably in the minority.
    You might like the Armida A6 with gilt hand set.

You might like the Armida A6 with gilt hand set.

Cheers for the tip.

Blog Entries

Eddie
    That’s a real shame. The pictures you put up with it on looked really good. It gave it a nice distinguishing feature. It still looks good without, but a bit too close to the Explorer 1/Smiths for me.

Last edited by oldoakknives; 25th July 2020 at 12:38.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I do like the bezel on Sir Francis cChichester OP.

Master
    Blog Entries

The Ranger 2 had a fluted bezel but I prefer the engine turned.
    I like the red writing on the Ranger

Master
    I really do like the look of Plexiglas, but I can live with all of your suggestions :-)

It is not that often you see white hands on a watch, the Omega speedmaster is an exception, and it is strange because it looks so damn good.

Much prefer the older handset, and red over orange on the second hand - orange is too divey. ^^. This is getting close. Please, please, please plexi!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That’s a real shame. The pictures you put up with it on looked really good. It gave it a nice distinguishing feature. It still looks good without, but a bit too close to the Explorer 1/Smiths for me.

This bezel gives it something else that's interesting!

As you say, otherwise it's too similar to the Everest, and I've already got one of those :)

Journeyman

I do like the bezel on Sir Francis cChichester OP.

Agreed it looks great with the slope on the bezel -

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Much prefer the older handset, and red over orange on the second hand - orange is too divey. ^^. This is getting close. Please, please, please plexi!
    Try and read the section - "When a crystal “makes” the watch" - and it would be nice, if there where a Plexiglas version among the PRS25. Put unfortunately it is a minority that gets plexiglas :)

Journeyman

Eddie
    And then Tudor went and did the fluted bezel :)

And then Tudor went and did the fluted bezel :)

I thought of that too so I am glad you mentioned it.

Unfortunately, there is no love for them, and ppl in general think they are ugly. I don't find them bad but I wouldn't wear them... roman numerals and all that.

Especially when you compare with the gorgeous blue Air King in the entry #9 above.
    Last edited by abraxas; 26th September 2020 at 15:12.

Journeyman

I thought of that too so I am glad you mentioned it.

Unfortunately, there is no love for them, and ppl in general think they are ugly. I don't find them bad but I wouldn't wear them... roman numerals and all that.

Especially when you compare with the gorgeous blue Air King in the entry #9 above.
    I agree - don't like date windows and Roman numerals on the new tudors - although the fluted bezel looks good. The Air King in entry #9 is stunning :-)