closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spyderco

Spyderco

Does anyone know of a UK based camping equipment shop or similar that stocks a good range of Spyderco knives?

I've currently got an Urban that's always on me, and I'm on the never ending waiting list for the Heinnie Haynes edition UKPK. But as I'm not leaving the house much I think it's a great excuse to buy a locking Spyderco to replace my Urban as my pocket knife. The tenacious took my fancy (mainly due to a random discussion about knives with my mate on a recent whisky tasking Zoom session!) but I suspect I'll cut my fingers with that locking mechanism....plus I can't buy the same knife as my mate!

It would be great to be able to compare the PM2 with the Para 3 with the Manix 2 etc etc - simply have a play with the different locking mechanisms, different sizes etc. I've had a look online but can't find any 'bricks and mortar' stockists....can anyone advise? I am loath to blindly buy online (alternatively I might just stick with the urban...)

Before anyone asks "what do you use your pocket knife for?" the answer is loads of things! I typically use it for opening things, slicing things, shaving my legs, hunting squirrels, protecting my NATO straps from bottle-opening monsters etc etc...

Obviously feel free to show a photo of your Spyderco, or other pocket knives!

You used to be able to visit Heinnie's, but I'm not sure they still have their showroom, let alone whether it's going to be open in the current circumstances.

The way I do it is to buy on forums and sell on if I don't get on with it (that's not very common!), but I know some do take advantage of the very generous returns system of Heinnie's to do similar.

You'll be hard pressed to go wrong with a PM2 in G10, but the Military won me over so I flipped my PM2. The Para 3 I gather was not a success in G10, but has done extremely well when in FRN.

If it was between the PM2, PM3 and Manix 2, I'd be getting a Military

I don't know of any shops like that, probably because there are not many about with the reputation of knives in the UK at an all time low.

But I have owned dozens of them and in my opinion the para 2 is one of the best folders you can get for under £200.

I don't think you can actually go wrong buying one of those.

I’m a bit concerned that the PM2 might be too big...I’m not used to having big things in my pocket (oo-er)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I’m a bit concerned that the PM2 might be too big...I’m not used to having big things in my pocket (oo-er)
    lightweight PM 3 then

Master
    Probably not much use to you but there's good shop just off Dam Square in Amsterdam. Go upstairs & there's a large selection of knives on display. It's clled The Old Man Knives & Tools just off the square down Damsraat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Probably not much use to you but there's good shop just off Dam Square in Amsterdam. Go upstairs & there's a large selection of knives on display. It's clled The Old Man Knives & Tools just off the square down Damsraat.
    Thanks, perhaps I should have said I live in Manchester!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Just want to add that the shop suggested by Mr Pointy is absolutely superb. I used to travel on business regularly to Amsterdam and Im a huge Global knives fanboy. The Old Man shop has to be the one of the best knife shops in Europe.

Master
    Not Manchester Kirk but not far away

http://www.framarcustomknives.co.uk/info/4574560616

Franks a gentleman bought my Sebenza from him and a few spyderco, in fact the titanium ukpk I had at the meet came from there. If it’s a lock blade you want though have a look at the Sebenza

Thanks Bootneck, not sure my budget will stretch that much but will check him out. I remember that Ti UKPK - it was ace.

A Sebenza is probably one of the best compromises between usefulness, strength and beauty. I use mine almost daily, and take it with me every time I know I can justify it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Not Manchester Kirk but not far away

http://www.framarcustomknives.co.uk/info/4574560616

Franks a gentleman bought my Sebenza from him and a few spyderco, in fact the titanium ukpk I had at the meet came from there. If it’s a lock blade you want though have a look at the Sebenza
    Might be a gentleman but has a rather dubious return policy.

Master
    Thanks Bootneck, not sure my budget will stretch that much but will check him out. I remember that Ti UKPK - it was ace.
    I’ve got the small and I’ve seen them pop up on here for sensible money occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    A Sebenza is probably one of the best compromises between usefulness, strength and beauty. I use mine almost daily, and take it with me every time I know I can justify it.
    Like wise had mine a long while now

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Might be a gentleman but has a rather dubious return policy.
    I’d never seen that before, I’ve only ever dealt with him in person in his little shop. Kirk wants to handle a few knives I know they had a good few models on the shelf when I was looking, I went with the intention of buying a Sebenza and wanted to hold and feel one before buying came home with one and a few more that caught my eye at the time including the titanium ukpk

Erm it sounds like an expensive shop to visit!

Master
    Erm it sounds like an expensive shop to visit!
    Depends on your will power to resist I failed miserably lol, if you’re after a locking blade I can’t recommend the Sebenza enough if you’d like to have a try with mine happy to meet and leave it with you for a few days etc. Too much sentimental value to post likewise with ukpk I’ve got a titanium and a carbon you’re welcome to try them out mate. I mainly carry a leatherman TTi charge in work these days rather than just a blade and hardly going out other than work still lol

Mate that’s a mega generous offer, and appreciated. I’ve already got a HH UKPK on back-order, but for I’d like to play with a sebenza just out of curiosity...they look beautiful. I don’t need to borrow it for days, a 5 minute play with a beer on the side would be enough (not that sort of 5 min play!).

Not seen you for a couple of years so we are overdue a catch-up anyway.

(Still interested on people’s opinions on Spydercos too!)

Master
    Mate that’s a mega generous offer, and appreciated. I’ve already got a HH UKPK on back-order, but for I’d like to play with a sebenza just out of curiosity...they look beautiful. I don’t need to borrow it for days, a 5 minute play with a beer on the side would be enough (not that sort of 5 min play!).

Not seen you for a couple of years so we are overdue a catch-up anyway.

(Still interested on people’s opinions on Spydercos too!)
    Sound mate let me know once a meet is being setup and I’ll do my best to get there and bring it with me or just a catch up one random day shout up.

Knivesandtools.co.uk has a decent Spyderco selection, sometimes significantly cheaper than Heinnie depending on knife.

They’re based in Netherlands but ship fairly quickly to UK, have bought Leatherman from there previously and can recommend.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Knivesandtools.co.uk has a decent Spyderco selection, sometimes significantly cheaper than Heinnie depending on knife.

They’re based in Netherlands but ship fairly quickly to UK, have bought Leatherman from there previously and can recommend.
    Another vote for knivesandtools!
    Good selection and well priced; bought several knives the last few years from them.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post
    Another vote for knivesandtools!
    Good selection and well priced; bought several knives the last few years from them.
    I would have said the same, however a few members here have had recent problems with Knives and Tools. It was just too many within a short space of time and it suggests their approach to UK customers was become a bit more iffy. Courier problems that they were washing their hands of.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post5451507

It's worth looking at Edgar Brothers and Mind Your Fingers. Both in the UK and often cheaper than Heinnie's. Heinnie's customer service is pretty damn hard to beat though.

After far too much thinking I narrowed it down to the Para 3 LW or Sage 5 LW. I managed to find a good deal on the Sage 5 LW on ‘Preppers Shop UK’ so that’s the one I went for (the better steel and double metal liners swayed me). It arrived today...good service from the company.

Here it is compared to my Urban:

It was genuinely razor sharp out of the box! I’m very happy with it...I’ll just need to remember to take it out of my pocket before going out anywhere!

Thanks for everyone’s advice.