closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home office printers?

Home office printers?

My Wife works from home and the Samsung laser we bought 6 months ago is pants!

Can anyone recommend a decent printer for home office use? Must work well with the Apple system and be wireless.

cheers!

Master
    Bought one of these 6 months ago on offer for £140 and works great

Would need to check compatability with Apple as i use Android but otherwise can't fault it.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8497550

I have a Brother B&W laser printer (approx £100) which I can print via the Brother app from my iPad, iPhone SE, Google Pixel etc.

My printer is powered off when not in use but you have to wait until powered on and then open Brother app for printer to be ready.

Really happy with the printing, copying and scanning quality.

My printer had a ‘starter’ toner which prints I think 1000 pages and something to be aware of.

Master
    HP Office Jet Pro 9010 Series 3.
    Scans, prints, faxes, AirPrint, wireless, etc etc
    So far been really good.

Apprentice

Epson ET2710

Bought one in feb and have printed 4 reams of paper in lockdown with business can kids schoolwork. The tanks are still 3/4 full and it comes with free refills for two years. I got mine from Argos. Fiddly to initially set-up but works great from my mac's ipads and iphone.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8799973

Had one of these for just over two years, absolutely brilliant.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/revie...jet-pro-x476dw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tudorfan View Post
    Bought one in feb and have printed 4 reams of paper in lockdown with business can kids schoolwork. The tanks are still 3/4 full and it comes with free refills for two years. I got mine from Argos. Fiddly to initially set-up but works great from my mac's ipads and iphone.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8799973

I looked at this but reviews say not great with Apple?

SydR
    You looking for colour or monochrome?

After years of ink jets I finally replaced our old Officejet with a Brother MFC-L3750CDW colour laser printer/scanner/fax .

Works seamlessly with work PCs on W10 and on my apple kit & Chromebook too. And after weeks of printing the toners are still over 90% full.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    My Wife works from home and the Samsung laser we bought 6 months ago is pants!

Can anyone recommend a decent printer for home office use? Must work well with the Apple system and be wireless.

cheers!
    https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/c...ppliances-last
    Have you been back to the shop, 6 months is terrible.

I'm an infrequent printer and got fed-up of ink jets getting clogged so bought a b/w Brother MFC-L2750DW. I use it with Kubuntu and Win10.

Master
    What is 'pants' about the Samsung - I have a Samsung 'm835dw' and it gives me no problems at all. New 3rd party toner cartridges are cheap and it pounded out my wifes university projects with no issues whatsoever. Airprint works no problem and I can print from my PC without issue too. The only thing that was a bit flaky was wi-fi but once it was on an Ethernet cable to a wireless switch (now an orbi mote) it behaves impeccably.

Quote Originally Posted by wadebridge59 View Post
    https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/c...ppliances-last
    Have you been back to the shop, 6 months is terrible.

I'm an infrequent printer and got fed-up of ink jets getting clogged so bought a b/w Brother MFC-L2750DW. I use it with Kubuntu and Win10.
    ‘Pants’ doesn’t mean it’s faulty.

I got an Epson ET-2720 a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of a friend who has an earlier model. It's a bit slow to print compared to what I used to use at work, but I couldn't be happier with it TBH. Cheap as chips really.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    ‘Pants’ doesn’t mean it’s faulty.
    Possibly. I always took it to mean something was rubbish and not fit for purpose. Worthy of a complaint if it's not performing to spec? I should explain that Australian Consumer Law is biased towards the consumer. For example, if I buy a printer with a 1-year warranty and some function breaks at the end of year 2 I can still get some money back.

This reminds me of the day my Australian boss in the UK was talking to one of our technical colleagues about a competitor's internet kit (carrier-grade). They're both in agreement about it being ****, until the UK guy said their kit was 'Micky Mouse'. Aus boss stopped in his tracks and looked at me in disbelief. I asked Aus boss what it meant to him: bloody good. I quickly explained it meant the opposite to us Poms. They happily continued trashing the opposition.

I've also been looking for the same; a home/office solution; and Brother laser printers come highly recommended from current users.

Quote Originally Posted by noms2000 View Post
    I've also been looking for the same; a home/office solution; and Brother laser printers come highly recommended from current users.
    Brother do make decent enough laser printers, especially mono ones.

I bought a Lexmark Lexmark C3326dw (A4 Colour Laser Duplex) with Airprint etc. for working at home. It is a great compact printer and can also connect via ethernet as pressed it into fuller service during lockdown.

The only thing that puts me off is I paid 59 ex VAT end of November and the equivalnet Lexmark (3224dw) is 164 ex VAt now so got a good deal on end of line plus pre WFH demand.

I have got brother hl-l2340d mono laser with builtin wifi . Good and reliable machine as using for work and kids for schoolwork . Bought 2 unbranded toners for £10 on ebay a year ago and still running 👍

Master
    I use the HP's they last quite a long time. I am still using a deskjet 6540 from 2004 because I can print on heavy card which my newer all in one HP can't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops365 View Post
    Brother do make decent enough laser printers, especially mono ones.
    Another vote for Brother mono laser printer. Realised a long time ago that I had no need for a colour printer, and laser mono was the way to go.

Craftsman
    A lot depends on how much printing you do, we now have an Epson ET-4750 printer/scanner/fax colour/mono that uses ink bottles rather than cartidges. It seems much much more economical than it's predecessor which used to empty a cartridge every few weeks. We print 60-100 sheets per day mostly mono.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Another vote for Brother mono laser printer. Realised a long time ago that I had no need for a colour printer, and laser mono was the way to go.
    I've heard the Brother laser colour are also top notch; does anyone have any experience with them?
    The benefit of having toners as opposed to ink cartridges etc is that they will not dry out.

Another vote for Brother.

I've had a Brother HL-2250DN for a few years and it just keeps going. Toner lasts forever.

Craftsman
    I'd have said Samsung, had ours for years now and works with all the different systems here without drama and without any extra software. Maybe worth trying to update the software on the one you have or giving it a prod to see if the issue is resolvable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noms2000 View Post
    I've heard the Brother laser colour are also top notch; does anyone have any experience with them?
    The benefit of having toners as opposed to ink cartridges etc is that they will not dry out.
    I used to have the colour https://support.brother.com/g/b/prod...=hl4150cdn_all before I got the mono https://www.brother.com.au/en/produc...fc-l2750dw-aus. I got it because I was starting a PhD at the time and thought I would need to prints loads of pages. Quickly learnt it was easier to mark-up and search pdf's than print. Bought June '14 for $263 (got $50 cashback) and gave it to a charity April '18 as I was hardly using it. In the meantime it worked great with Win10 and Linux. Subsequently bought a cheap inkjet ($25) for the odd print, which promptly dried up when not used so reverted to b/w laser ($200). Haven't missed colour and MFC is a lot smaller than the HFC. Laser is worth getting just to not have to worry about the printer not working when you need it. Plus the MFC has a built-in scanner.