closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Approximate cost of single-storey extension in the SE?

Question Approximate cost of single-storey extension in the SE?

Just wondering if anyone has an informed idea of what an extension would cost? Say 5 metres by 9 metres to create a large kitchen-diner. Excluding the cost of the kitchen itself of course.

In the West London suburbs.

Many thanks!

About 3 and a half years ago we had a kitchen diner of about the same size built in SW London for under £50k including kitchen.

depending on finish c.£1.2k-£1.3k per sq m

£50-60k for the size you are looking for

Master
    Foundations, brick work, flooring, electrics, heating, plumbing, plastering, knocking through to existing, decor...I would suggest you will not be far off 50k. Of course all dependent on choices of fittings.

Our builder worked to 1k per square meter to first plastered finish. Add on doors, windows, electrics and all the other stuff you’ll want

Thanks guys. That’s really helpful.

Now can anyone recommend a really good builder for the project? Always tricky to find the right person. who gives a comprehensive and accurate quote up front and sticks to it (as far as is possible) - for both cost and time for completion. :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Thanks guys. That’s really helpful.

Now can anyone recommend a really good builder for the project? Always tricky to find the right person. who gives a comprehensive and accurate quote up front and sticks to it (as far as is possible) - for both cost and time for completion. :)
    can't help on that front but you might get more joy if you put location

Approximate cost of single-storey extension in the SE?

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post

Good luck getting that in West London.

Based on my experience in SW London, I did a 18 m2 for £33k (ex VAT) two years ago, and that was also the cheapest quote we had.

I’d budget £2k/m2 on a smaller extension and slightly cheaper per m2 on a larger one. Don’t forget the VAT if the builder is VAT registered.

There are ways of legally working around the VAT which can save you a fortune, but not for materials.

Edit : the above price did not include bifolds (£5k for 4.4m) and two large rooflights (£2k), but did include removal of an old part brick conservatory, a 5.4m RSJ, 5m catnic lintel and painted finish with wooden floors.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 4th July 2020 at 10:20.

Nth West London suburbs. Pinner/ Northwood area.

can't help on that front but you might get more joy if you put location

And however long the builder says that it will take, add on 50%.

Good luck finding a builder. There are so many extensions going on in London that I would trawl the local streets and talk to the residents and builders of WIP.

There’s a builder in the adjacent road with a very good reputation. He has worked for years just in his own road and two neighbouring roads. Take a house, first a loft conversion, then a ground floor extension, then a first floor extension on top of the ground floor, then a second floor extension to fill in between the first floor extension and loft conversion, repeat for each house in the three roads. He is booked way ahead and couldn’t do ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m going with the cheapest I found that I believe I could work with and it’s £1200 Sqm plus windows, plus ufh, plus lantern, plus floor finish. I was getting quotes from more established firms of £2k sqm

I would say excluding kitchen but finished, youMll be looking at £80k-£90k depending on access and finish.

I know a very good builder in west London. Just messaged him to see if he’s interested.

I was quoted £2k per square metre on a single floor extension, and £4k per square meter on a two floor extension. An £80k extension on an over priced £95k house seemed like a waste of money. It would have been block built and harled.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has an informed idea of what an extension would cost? Say 5 metres by 9 metres to create a large kitchen-diner. Excluding the cost of the kitchen itself of course.

In the West London suburbs.

Many thanks!
    I’d be happy to take a look ,I’ve a loft extension starting at the end of august in tooting so could call by and take a look ,if you want to send me some plans other I’ll have a look at costings cheers mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

I read somewhere that shell finish is £1k/sqm i.e. no doors, architrave, rads etc, average/basic finish is £1.3k/sqm, and decent level of finish is £1.6k/sqm.

These are all approximates and not London based guidelines.

It's also the same if you go for 2 storey etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just finished renovating my house in North London and unusually would be happy to recommend my builder. He's doing the house opposite at the moment, having done the neighbour too. Message me if you'd like an invitation.

Approximate cost of single-storey extension in the SE?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I read somewhere that shell finish is £1k/sqm i.e. no doors, architrave, rads etc, average/basic finish is £1.3k/sqm, and decent level of finish is £1.6k/sqm.

These are all approximates and not London based guidelines.

It's also the same if you go for 2 storey etc.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Seems to tie in with my estimate (above) of £2k/m2

https://householdquotes.co.uk/cost-of-extension/

“<Single storey extension

If it all depends, how much does a single storey extension cost?

In 2019, an estimate for the cost of a single storey extension is anywhere between £1,350 and £1,950 per m2.

In London and the South East, this could be anywhere between £1,800 and £2,300+ per m2. These prices are for for a good quality extension. Basic quality would naturally cost less and premium would be more.

Let’s say you’re looking for a 5m x 5m extension. The cost of an extension might be around £32,000. In London, maybe even up to £50,000+. That’s just for building the extension.

If we add on 10-15% for professional fees for the architect, planning application, building regulations, structural engineer and so on the cost goes up.

And let’s not forget about VAT.”>

Master
    Blog Entries
    About 45K.

Can recommend a builder if you’re looking, (based in Pinner).

Red face

Thanks for all the comments and offers to recommend builders. Bit too early for quotes but I’ll keep everyone in mind for when the time comes. :)

I'm in broadly the same area. May I ask who you used for plans? Would you recommend?

If so, I'd be grateful for a PM

Thanks

Red face

I’m in early stages actually - so looking for an architect too and someone who can draft and submit planning allocations for me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I'm in broadly the same area. May I ask who you used for plans? Would you recommend?

If so, I'd be grateful for a PM

Thanks

Noted!

Thanks for the reply nonetheless