closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A JLC Only SOTC with some reviews chucked in - - Warning - content heavy

A JLC Only SOTC with some reviews chucked in - - Warning - content heavy

So what with some personal stuff going which is seeing me drastically downsize my collection, I have had to give some real thought as to what I can afford to keep, what has to go and what is really tugging at the heart strings.

What I’ve learned is that I suffer from confusing contradictions that swirl around in my head. Watches, they are only trinkets, things tat in the grand scheme of things don’t really matter.

Then, its time to say goodbye and list them on the SC……and here comes the problem…..some of them aren’t just trinkets, they mean something to me, they bring a groundswell of emotional attachment, they have a history with me and some have an even longer history than the years I’ve graced this earth for.

It may sound odd but some just sing to me and the decision to retain or say bon voyage becomes emotive, its not economics in the pursuit of retention, I love wearing them, all of them. I have been blessed to own some lovely watches over the years, covering all spectrum's, Divers, vintage, dress, gold, steel, platinum, rare (and I mean rare) and today if you were to ask me what I gravitate towards I couldn’t tell you, I know it when I see it and when I put it on.

So where do I arrive on my watch ownership journey, I just love watches, price is irrelevant in as much as I don’t buy it because I think I should, because it won’t lose money (if that were the case, I’ve done a poor job, I have lost more than I’ve made), I buy because at that precise moment it sang to me. So parting is hard, choosing is like being asked whose your favourite child, who wants to have to make that choice?

But sometimes needs must eh. So don’t know if these will stay with me, we shall see, I hope so. But in the interim I thought would do some brand specific SOTC’s, in some ways a bit of a tribute to to watches I absolutely enjoy.

This as the title suggests, Jaeger Le-Coultre.

JLC is by far my favourite brand, a fantastic history. Founded in 1833 founded a workshop in Le Sentier by Antoine LeCoultre. By 1844, he invented the world's most precise measuring instrument at the time, the Millionometre, and in 1847 he created a keyless system to rewind and set watches. He was awarded a gold medal for his work on timepiece precision at the first watch exhibition in London in 1851. For me this very start in the JLC journey is the one thing that I believe has been the underpinning philosophy of the brand that has remained to this day and is why they remain my favourite ‘mainstream’ brand, period.

Their grand complications are an absolute horological marvel and in my humble opinion are in some quarters, underated, but any firm that can build a grand complication like the Master Gyrotourbillon with a spherical*Tourbillon or The Duomètre Sphérotourbillon that is equipped with a tourbillon adjustable to the nearest second; the Master Grande Tradition Grande Complication is equipped with a flying tourbillon that follows the rhythm of celestial phenomena and indicates*sidereal time, and a minute repeater comprising cathedral gongs; the Hybris Mechanica à Grande Sonnerie is equipped with gongs capable of playing the entire*Big Ben*chime; the Reverso Gyrotourbillon 2 is equipped with a spherical tourbillon principle, a reversible case and a cylindrical balance.

JLC continued to push the boundaries of watch making throughout the 19th & 20th centuries. Notable achievements include:

Over 1,242 different*calibres and registered registered approximately 400 watch related patents

1844, Antoine LeCoultre invented the Millionometre, which was the first instrument in history capable of measuring the micron, allowing for the precise manufacture of watch parts.Choose not patten it so the industry could use the break though to improve watch making more widely

1847, Antoine invented a keyless watch,*the second simple and reliable winding and time-setting system to do without a key after Patek Philippe's version of 1845.*Instead, it relied on a small push-piece that activated a lever to change over from one function to another. Again, the invention was not*patented, allowing other watchmakers to quickly implement the system.

1866, for the first time in watchmaking history,*LeCoultre & Cie.*began to manufacture calibres with small*complications*in small series, and in 1891 combined the*chronograph*and*minute repeater*complications into a double complication calibre.

1895 to the production of grandes complications, or watches comprising at least three classic horological complications, such as a*perpetual calendar,*chronograph*and*minute repeater

1907, the LeCoultre Calibre 145 set the record for the world's thinnest movement at 1.38*mm thick, appearing in pocket watches that remain to this day the thinnest in their category.

1925, the LeCoultre Calibre 7BF Duoplan was created in an effort to bring together miniaturisation and precision. The Duoplan was built on two levels – hence its name – enabling it to maintain a large-size balance The Duoplan was also one of the first gem-set steel watches and, in 1929, its glass was replaced with*sapphire crystal, a first in watchmaking.

1929 of the world's still-smallest mechanical movement, the Calibre 101, whose 74 original parts (98 today) weighed a total of approximately one gram. The second family of watches equipped with the Calibre 101, Joaillerie 101 Étrier appeared in the 1930s. In 1953, Elizabeth II*wore a Calibre 101 wristwatch for her coronation.

1936 production of the patented Atmos clock, self winding a driven on Barometric pressure fluctuation

1951, the Manufacture released the*Futurematic, the world's first 100% automatic watch, the calibre 497

1956, a Memovox featuring the Jaeger-LeCoultre Calibre 815 became the first self-winding alarm watch in history

2004, the Manufacture created the Gyrotourbillon I, its first grande complication wristwatch, featuring a*tourbillon*gravitating on two axes, along with a perpetual calendar with double retrograde indicators and a running equation of time.

2006, it released the Reverso grande complication à triptyque, the first watch in history to be equipped with three dials driven by a single movement

2009 the company produced one of the world's most complicated wristwatches, the Hybris Mechanica à Grande Sonnerie with 26 complications.

Its worth noting here that the early 1900s saw LeCoultre became the manufacturer of choice for movement bases for Patek, until 1932 when Patek started to develop their own chronograph in-house movements. They also supplied movements to Cartier, LeCoultre were seen as the premier complications manufacturer for major luxury brands of the time. This success but strive to continually improve watchmaking allowed for LeCoultre to make its next pivotal move, a move that created the brand as you all know it today.

In 1903, Paris-based watchmaker to the French Navy, Edmond Jaeger, challenged Swiss manufacturers to develop the ultra-thin movements that he had invented. Jacques-David LeCoultre, Antoine's grandson accepted the challenge, giving rise to a collection of ultra-thin pocket watches, including the thinnest in the world in 1907, equipped with the LeCoultre Calibre 145. This collaboration between Jaeger and LeCoultre led to the company being officially renamed Jaeger-LeCoultre.

This brief summary doesn't come close to capturing all of the important phases of the brands journey, I will focus as the title suggests on the SOTC, if I include past love’s we might be here a very long time.

So first up:

The Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos Clock
    This has always been a marvel to me. First produced in the mid to late 1930’s after aquaring a similar patent from Jean-Leon Reutter who had spent 20 years trying to get a mechanical movement to work under its own power with minimal energy. Reutter struggled to get the clock to market, retailers thought of it as a fad and it was only when a senior manager for LeCoultre passed by one in a shop window in Paris he saw it, it sparked his interest and he bought it. LeCoultre went on to buy the rights to the clock and adapted it with of course their superior engineering brilliance was able to make it more reliable.

Inside every Atmos clock is a capsule filled with ethylene chloride gas. As temperature rises and falls, the gas expands or contracts, making the capsule expand or contract in turn. The wall of the capsule is connected to a short chain, which moves back and forth as the capsule grows or shrinks, and this reciprocating motion is used to wind the mainspring.
    The Atmos converts thermal variations into mechanical energy efficiently enough that left to its own devices, the clock will run essentially indefinitely (the mechanism's so efficient that a one degree change in temp provides enough juice for 48 hours' run time).

Clever huh……
    So here is mine. A Calibre 528, produced around 1980. Gold Plated case, full glass surround, the more standard version of their variations and pretty affordable at around £1000 or so. A new Atmos will start at around £7-8k and they go up to special editions c.£25k.

I bought it not really for how it looked, but for the principal of its mechanical ability, I mean its a self winding clock, it’s clever when you think about it. The glass surround allows you to see the movement and gears from most positions and on the face of it, its pretty simple in its ‘visible’ construction, you cant really see where the magic happens though.

In the pics below you can observe a couple of things:

You can regulate it yourself

1)The hands are coated towards the end to allow you to adjust the hands with you fingers without leaving residue on the base metal that will rust

2)the small central spirit level that allows you to set it level on your surface with adjustable feet to get it centred, as you might be able to see, mine is not (must get that sorted)

Moving on to the wrist……..

Memovox Automatic 916 - 1969

Now boy have I owned a few of these over the years from the vintage to the more current versions, from the smaller 34/35mm cased wrist alarms to the jumbo steel memovox that I still own today. I reckon I have owned over 30, including amazingly enough every single pre 1980 calibre ever produced. Manual wind and Automatics.

The first models were hand wound and equipped with the Jaeger-LeCoultre Calibre 489.

In 1956, a Memovox featuring the JLC Calibre 815 became the first self-winding alarm watch in history, while shortly thereafter the company marked its 125th anniversary by releasing the Memovox Wordtime. In 1959, the Memovox Deep Sea was equipped with a specific alarm to remind divers to begin their ascension, and in 1965, the Memovox Polaris was released with a patented triple case back to optimise the transmission of sound under water.

The latter was reproduced in 2008 under the name Memovox Tribute to Polaris.

This one is a self winding memovox, sold in Europe and is the steel jumbo case variant. For its time in the ‘dress’ watch category it was a large, 37mm.

A mix of brushed and polished steel, sets this beauty off and a more tool watch feel comes from the double crown arrangement. It has a screwdown 2 piece back case.

Why do I like it? because it has a mechanical hammer alarm, that to me is simplicity but functional. The dials themselves are uncluttered, you have can have a non date, date version. Dial colours vary, but be careful most that deviate from silver are re-dials, the black dials didn’t stand the test of time well so if its super clean its likely to be refinished.

The calibre of this one is a 916. The 916 was a date version movement, which required a redesign of the alarm mechanism to allow the rotor to swing freely through 360 degrees. It also ran at 28,800 beats p/hour, compared to the 18,000 beats of all the previous calibres and is often called the Speedbeat

Memovox Manual Wind 911 - 1965

A manual wind LeCoultre branded manual wind caliber 911, cased and sold in the USA, you wont see too many of these with this dial and a date, It’s a front entry case with split stems. 35mm Case is 10k gold filled, gold sandwiched either side of the base metal.

The dial is signed LeCoultre, why not Jaeger LeCoultre? were they not the same company? Are they inferior to JLC versions. Well they are the same country, the movments are the same, made in the same workshop in Switzerland. They are not inferior. Multiple LeCoultre models originate from the 60s and 70s – a time in which the companies had already formed Jaeger-LeCoultre.

In reality, the LeCoultre signature refers to the market they were produced for. Due to custom regulations, only the movements were exported to the United States and the watches were assembled afterwards in order to save cost. They had to be set up as a different company for distribution. Rolex did the same thing but did not change how they were branded.

The dial is champagne with raised Roman numerals, colour matching centre disc for setting the alarm, as will all Memovox’s the bottom crown is for winding/setting, the top for winding the alarm. The centre disc is rotated to the desired time you wish to set the alarm. The hammer alarm itself sounds just great.

Master Compressor Geographic 923 - 2010

Now the flavour is switching to a bit more modern. Next is my MC Geographic, now discontinued and model ref: Q171.81.70. Steel cased 42mm was available in solid gold as well. At the time considered to be the most complicated ‘high volume’ production watch. Much like the Memovox, it features 2 crowns, that where the ‘compressor’ name comes from, they are compressor crowns for water resistance, with either whit or red indicators on each crown, red means the crowns are open and can let water in so watch out, white of course means you are good to go.

So whats going on with the dial? Its configuration and function is under patent by JLC, Its black, almost matt, an outer ring in the rehaut is controlled by the top crown to set at a timing function.
    Self winding 923 calibre, 43hr PR with 32 jewels and 281 component parts.

The functions include a simple set GMT function, Am / PM indicator, Hr & Min GMT sub dial, Date function and of course the main dial has the home base time that remains in place even if you change the timezone.
    The quick set GMT function is awesome, you change the country and the smaller clock just above the country window sets to the +GMT time set on the main watch. Simple. It really is very very clever and in my view one of the most overlooked mass production complications out there.

I have the watch with the integrated steel bracelet, now that is a work of art, however, I have never worn it on the bracelet, don’t like it, does not feel balanced for me, adds to its bulk of 42mm and I have small wrists. I to me looks so much better on leather, which is where its stayed during my ownership.

As with anything JLC do this watch has been tested. 1000 hours with respect to the accuracy of the movement. JLC takes the extra step in tightening the range of deviation for COSC standards to -1/+6 seconds per day instead of -4/+6 seconds per day. JLC also test the movement for accuracy, temperature changes and shocks when the movement is already fitted in the watch case. COSC is only testing the spare movement, which is later on fitted into the watch case by the watch manufacturer again. I.e. its tested well beyond the standards used to certify under COSC.

The case is curvy, like a 50’s pin up, lays quite flat to the wrist but you can’t forget you're wearing it. The nice golden emblem on the back mentions the 1000hr testing. Its polished but doesn't seem to be a scratch magnet and the curved lugs fit nicely on the wrist.

This watch for me embodies the brand, functional, crosses the dress watch and sports watch boundaries with ease, is IMO incredibly attractive and it just puts a smile on my face.

Compressor Diving GMT 160.T.05

So this is a bit of a brute and in many respects started a shift for JLC, not so much in the diving category but in the larger more tool watch space. The range was released in 2007 and this 44mm version was only produced in the number of 1500. They went on to re-launch at 46mm which for me I think is way to large and it was not overly popular.

It has*water resistance*up to a depth of 1,000 meters. Here the special design of the compression key system developed by*Jaeger-LeCoultre*shows its benefit, because the crown can be sealed perfectly and without long screwing. At this depth on the 3.60 mm thick*sapphire crystal*already weighs a pressure of 890 kilos - roughly the weight of a small car!

[url=https://postimages.org/]

The blue/white display of the power reserve can be read at window at 6 o'clock. The watch is equipped with a*second timezone*in 24 hours mode. I like the 3 handed look of the watch. Nice decent sized date window at 3 o’clock. The indices are a take from the Polaris and really suit the watch.

Like all models from the*Master Control*series also this watch has to pass the strict 1000 hours test beyond COSC standards. So whilst it might look like its ready for a bar fight, inside its all soft and mushy and still has all the internal characteristics of what JLC quality stands for.

The watch house the in house 975D, Hand decorated, 29 Jewel, 48 PR with 230 components, beating at 28,800 a/h
    44mm wide, 16.25 mm height

The solid case is is titanium, grade 5, most watches are grade 2, its bullet proof. Screw down case back, domed anti glare crystal and has been tested to 1080m in a deep dark trench in the middle of the pacific. Rotating bezel with satisfying 120 clicks. Of course features the same compression key crown system as the Geographic

The watch wears one of 2 straps, the diving rubber from JLC or the articulated hardened rubber bracelet. I have and wear on both but the bracelet is something else. Double fold deployment. It is super comfortable, suits the watch to a tee

Are you still with me? Shall I continue or do you need to get a cup of tea yet. Go have a break for 5 mins and return for the next instalment, which will be a Polaris tribute Ltd Edition…………………

Jaeger-LeCoultre Polaris Date Limited Edition Q9068681 (some of the pics are from the net)

So you will be pleased to learn that I have arrived at my last post and most recent JLC acquisition made last year through the forum. I had been eyeing up a Polaris for some time, hovering around various AD’s, pausing to consider whether today was going to be the day I bit the bullet and went for it. But I could never seem to commit, it wasn’t until I saw this that I ever understood why. The dial.

The standard Polaris has a lot going for it, 41mm, simple, good looking (like me, well simple, not good looking) and interestingly dismissed the blue dial on the standard model day one as it just didn’t ‘sing’ to me at all. So it was always going to be the black dial.

Then one fine day in the month of my birthday (October should you wish to forward a card or gift)this came up, brand new and under rrp. As soon as I saw the dial I knew why I hadn't pulled the trigger on the standard version.

Limited to 800 pieces worldwide, slightly larger at 42mm, supplied on an integrated curved rubber strap with deployment, that sunburst blue dial, it was ooh lal la moment, struck down like it was my first day at school and my eyes caught a glimpse for the 1st time of Jacqui who was in my class at school from age 5 until 16 who I always held a bit of a candle for. It was LOVE.

So as I said 42mm, 13mm in height and c.47mm lug to lug. Case is steel. Rotating bezel in the rehaut, date function at the 3 and of course, 2 compressor key crown system in case you are having a Sunday morning pootle at depths of 200m. Polished thin bezel and a brushed lugs and side case.

The dial and internal bezel take up all of the forward aspect view when you look at it so it wears bigger yet despite my girlie wrists it works. The date window isnot for everyone, those faithful to the original versions would I am sure rather see it without and JLC does a non date in the standard version. But this is a limited edition and standard wasn’t what they were looking for.

It houses the in house 899A automatic movement, 38hr PR (the only disappointment), a beating heart of 28,800 a / h and 209 components
    The supplied blue rubber strap is lovely, colour wise its a great match, the clasp is a JLC clasp I.e. bloody nice. The only complaint is the strap length is too long for me, I would like to have seen a shorter version shaving off 20mm. Its very comfortable.

So on to the dial. This dial radiates sunshine, the dial continually changes colour in light and shade and bursts out from the centre graduating depth of colour that you don’t often see, I suppose the silver sunburst dial on my Breitling Top Time is the closest I can think of but its normally the 18k Day Date who do that burst of graduating colour very well.

Again like Compressor GMT the indices are the same style and I like them, not overpowering for the dial at all. Personally I like the date window, a good size to balance out the dial. The colour co-ordinated internal bezel is simplistic which suits the overall aura of the watch.

[url=https://postimg.cc/RW8zffxx]

Rubber brings a sportiness to it that I love but it without doubt holds its own on more formal occasions.

So that's it, as I mentioned earlier, I could introduce you to the JLC’s I have loved and lost but I am not sure Eddie has enough server space, but hopefully you can see why I love the brand, in house, great history, a passion for excellence, even if its not always on display. JLC is my favorite brand. At some point a Master Control Calendar beckons and when it does come along I will be sure to report on it here.

So thank you for dropping by and I hope you enjoyed the read.

all the best

Dave

watch this space...................

Great stuff, enjoyed looking at that. For me the best watch was the triple date in the final picture. Something like that could be be an end game for me.

You know, I kinda hate that collection...

Mostly because after quite a few years of flipping X for Y and having some sort of plan in mind, I see that once again, there's an entire other set of loveliness to explore. I've never delved into JLC much, I mean I've never owned one but I've also never looked much beyond the Polaris. That's a fantastic collection, the Master Compresser Geo is especially awesome.
    Hope all works out.

Great watches and very informative post!

Blog Entries
    An underrated brand. Some super ones there. I have my eye on the re-issued memovex timer

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Great collection. No Reverso though? The new MC Annual Calendar will crown the collection very nicely indeed.

Craftsman
    From the day I watched the Thomas Crown Affair (the remake with Brosnan) I fell in love with the Reverso. I was a teenager at the time and it was the watch I absolutely had to have above all others. I finally managed to get one in my early thirties. Then came a Master Control Chrono in rose gold and a Master Control three-hander with the syringe hands and the sector dial. I absolutely love JLC and all it stands for - beautiful execution, cracking engineering and elegant design, without having to shout about it. It’s by far and away my favourite brand. Undoubtedly there are things Patek and the rest of the Trinity do better, but not by a mile and definitely not for the price. Thanks so much for this wonderfully detailed post. I’ll take the time to read it fully.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Really nice to see, and a nice write up. JLC are my favourite manufacturer as well, although I only have one, a Master Geographic.

I have thought many times about getting a Duometre. Have you looked at them at all?

Really enjoyed that!!!

I've fleeted a lot with buying a JLC over the years, one of the few manufacturers who've really tried it all. I mean look at the Diver, totally not what people would think of a JLC, but it is so JLC, if you catch my drift. I'd like to see JLC revive this line.

The GMT is one watch in your collection I've come very close to buying on a number of occasions actually! I've never really 'got' the Memovox, which I think is a good thing, so many potential rabbit holes for a collector to end up down!!!

I still don't own a JLC, but I am very fortunate to own a Panerai 190 with the silky smooth 8 day movement. Cracking watch.

Thank you for the comments, appreciated. I guess for those venturing in to JLC the problem comes from the residual values, they tank from the RRP generally and Martyn is right they are really underrated, buy pre-owned much of the hit has been taken and they are superb value for money

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Great collection. No Reverso though? The new MC Annual Calendar will crown the collection very nicely indeed.
    Correct and i have owned one, flipped here on the SC i think. The size was an issue 30 mm or so. That said the Grand Reverso Duo appeals save for the watch size itself and my taste has shifted as i have got older, i think something in RG would be the next natural choice

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    An underrated brand. Some super ones there. I have my eye on the re-issued memovex timer

Yep love it, looked at it but the dial is too close to the Polaris tribute to justify it, its a lovely looking watch Martyn, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Really nice to see, and a nice write up. JLC are my favourite manufacturer as well, although I only have one, a Master Geographic.

I have thought many times about getting a Duometre. Have you looked at them at all?
    yes, many times, but i think id be having to move to a one watch ownership scenario, they don't come cheap, not a fan of the white gold, the pink gold Lunaire is beautiful. and one of the most component parts in the movement of any watch they do under £50k, nearly 400 i seem to recall. I have tried one one and they are the perfect size for me, just a touch over 40mm, if i had to be a bit fussy, i think the movement is not quite as pretty as i think they could have made it, and if you are going to have a display caseback i like to be blown away. Its nicely machined but there are large blanks of steel that house the moonphase, i get why they cant display that part of the complication but i just feel they could have gone a bit further on the finish if that makes sense.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Something like this perhaps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic post, Dave - well written, informative, lovely photographs and no doubt the result of a fair bit of effort on your part (thank you). Absolutely loving that Memovox 916, too!

Craftsman
    Great to read, thanks for taking the time to share the history of the brand and your pieces. JLC is also one of my favourite brands and I feel they are slightly under appreciated.

An Atmos clock is most definitely on my list to purchase at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    Its nicely machined but there are large blanks of steel that house the moonphase, i get why they cant display that part of the complication but i just feel they could have gone a bit further on the finish if that makes sense.
    I agree with you completely about the pink gold working better. My preference would be the Chronographe, although they all look lovely. I think the chrono movement looks pretty good.

One thing you can be sure of with JLC, you will always get an exceptional movement, however complicated.

Thanks again for the write up.

Really enjoyed seeing that, thanks. I also have the master compressor diving GMT that when I wear I love but don’t wear often enough to be frank. Stunning piece but a beast on the wrist.

I’ve also got the master compressor geographic on my chrono24 list as I adore it. Tried one on once but it just didn’t do it for me at the time. That notwithstanding I have it on perma watch on C24 and have come very close to pulling the trigger a couple of times... maybe tonight is the night?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I agree with you completely about the pink gold working better. My preference would be the Chronographe, although they all look lovely. I think the chrono movement looks pretty good.

One thing you can be sure of with JLC, you will always get an exceptional movement, however complicated.

Thanks again for the write up.

Now that looks to much better. Maybe someone though can tell my blue screws and is tere a specific reason they wouldn't use rose gold plated? i get solid gold adds to cost and weight, but surely gold would really cement that luxury feel?

Dunno, just a small point i guess buecause its a lovely looking movement anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Really enjoyed seeing that, thanks. I also have the master compressor diving GMT that when I wear I love but don’t wear often enough to be frank. Stunning piece but a beast on the wrist.

I’ve also got the master compressor geographic on my chrono24 list as I adore it. Tried one on once but it just didn’t do it for me at the time. That notwithstanding I have it on perma watch on C24 and have come very close to pulling the trigger a couple of times... maybe tonight is the night?
    Go for it, don't go drunk Friday night buying or anything, have a good look around. They are great watches. (and you never know, you well be able to have mine in 3 weeks)

Master
    Yes JLCs are really great watches until the time comes for a service. That's when you really see the unacceptable side of capitalism.

. They are great watches. (and you never know, you well be able to have mine in 3 weeks)
    Then maybe you should PM me if that comes to pass

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Then maybe you should PM me if that comes to pass
    will do sir

What a super post, that was a great read. You have a great collection there, Atmos clocks are really interesting and seemingly more affordable than I thought they might be and your Memovox 916 is a gem.

Thanks for taking the time.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Fantastic post, Dave - well written, informative, lovely photographs and no doubt the result of a fair bit of effort on your part (thank you). Absolutely loving that Memovox 916, too!
    Thanks Tony. Still work needed on the pics front.

916 is a timeless classic in my eyes

Funny though, for some reason I thought you had owned one? And maybe I’m having a senior moment but thought it was from me? But that’s going back some time. I definitely sold one on the SC years ago and I know we did discuss it

A great write up and a great collection that shows off many of JLC’s different styles. I also think that you could do with a Reverso in there though.

Thanks Tony. Still work needed on the pics front.

916 is a timeless classic in my eyes

Funny though, for some reason I thought you had owned one? And maybe I’m having a senior moment but thought it was from me? But that’s going back some time. I definitely sold one on the SC years ago and I know we did discuss it
    I don’t think that was me, Dave. I did go through a long spell where I was looking for an E855 but the only Memovox I’ve bought was from a dealer (and it had to go back).

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I don’t think that was me, Dave. I did go through a long spell where I was looking for an E855 but the only Memovox I’ve bought was from a dealer (and it had to go back).
    Must be my alzheimer's kicking in

E855 was the first auto with date memovox from 1959, ran for 10 years and had the 825 Calibre. Aesthetically they looked the same although if memory serves the European versions had JL on the dial rather than Jaeger LeCoulte written at 12. Very nice.

Tip for anyone buying one of those, they on did only 2 dial colours, black and silver. See another colour on that case ref and it’s wrong

A fabulous post, thank you. I’ve had numerous JLCs over the years, including a trio of Memovoxes (why did I sell them?) and also the Compresor Diving GMT on the wonderful articulated hardened rubber bracelet (a touch too large for my wrist, sadly, but I did love that watch).

I now have only one JLC. A 1950’s bumper movement, crosshair dial, power reserve complication, which doesn’t see the light of day as often as it should.

I’m tempted by the new JLC Calendar, but as a 40mm dress watch, I think it will be too large for many wrists, including mine. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    A fabulous post, thank you. I’ve had numerous JLCs over the years, including a trio of Memovoxes (why did I sell them?) and also the Compresor Diving GMT on the wonderful articulated hardened rubber bracelet (a touch too large for my wrist, sadly, but I did love that watch).

I now have only one JLC. A 1950’s bumper movement, crosshair dial, power reserve complication, which doesn’t see the light of day as often as it should.

I’m tempted by the new JLC Calendar, but as a 40mm dress watch, I think it will be too large for many wrists, including mine. Shame.
    Thank you for the comments, appreciated.

You have peaked my interest on your 50's watch. Is it a Powermatic? the reason i'd love to see a pic if you have one is the crosshair dial. There are plenty of Powermatics out there but the only crosshair dial i can think of is the E382 with a 481 caliber movement, that was a bumper movement. You don't see these often at all with that dial, the dial was produced in the 50's but to me the case and dial look early for its time, more 60's. They are very nice. Would love to see it posted on this thread

Best

Dave

Master
    Thanks so much for the write up, really enjoyed that! :-)

Very nice collection, and that Polaris blue really is something - it calls to me each time I see images. For the sake of my bank account I'm going to have to NOT see it in the metal, as I fear that might be too much to bear.

Watching with interest to see if there's a next.... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Thanks so much for the write up, really enjoyed that! :-)

Very nice collection, and that Polaris blue really is something - it calls to me each time I see images. For the sake of my bank account I'm going to have to NOT see it in the metal, as I fear that might be too much to bear.

Watching with interest to see if there's a next.... :-)
    You can breath easy my friend, they are sold out worldwide, there was only 800

Thank you for the comments, appreciated.

You have peaked my interest on your 50's watch. Is it a Powermatic? the reason i'd love to see a pic if you have one is the crosshair dial. There are plenty of Powermatics out there but the only crosshair dial i can think of is the E382 with a 481 caliber movement, that was a bumper movement. You don't see these often at all with that dial, the dial was produced in the 50's but to me the case and dial look early for its time, more 60's. They are very nice. Would love to see it posted on this thread

Best

Dave
    Morning Dave

It’s not a Powermatic, I’m not sure what the reference is to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Morning Dave

It’s not a Powermatic, I’m not sure what the reference is to be honest...

That is im 99.9% sure is an E382 powermatic also can be referred to as a Power Reserve and its spot on, the dial is original, hand set is correct and its lovely

That is im 99.9% sure is an E382 powermatic also can be referred to as a Power Reserve and its spot on, the dial is original, hand set is correct and its lovely
    Thank you. It is a nice size for an early JLC at 35mm and looks great on the wrist. I have had it for about 18 months and I’ve only worn it once or twice. Must wear it more, or move it on (but I’m reluctant to be without a JLC in the collection). Your JLC collection is fabulous.

Master
    That blue dialled Polaris, is stunning!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the super-informative post, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

JLC has always been my 'grail brand'. Not sure why, I guess they seem to have all the horological heritage you could want without as much ego as the biggest brands. Also, they seem to have the beauty vs real life wearability balance nailed.

Stupid question but...when you say hardened plastic on the diver....what is the material and how does it feel?

Ryan.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A very interesting and informative read. Thank you for posting.

Master
    You can breath easy my friend, they are sold out worldwide, there was only 800
    Unfortunately that's never stopped me in the past! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Thanks for the super-informative post, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

JLC has always been my 'grail brand'. Not sure why, I guess they seem to have all the horological heritage you could want without as much ego as the biggest brands. Also, they seem to have the beauty vs real life wearability balance nailed.

Stupid question but...when you say hardened plastic on the diver....what is the material and how does it feel?

Ryan.

yes, poorly worded on my part. The bracelet is a hardened rubber, light, very durable and the balance of weight comes from the deployment clasp, it is super comfortable

Master
    A brilliant write up and super photos. Thanks.

The older ones are class, but the newer ones sing to me more. I've had a Reverso Gran Sport and a couple of MC Memos and the quality was great, and go anywhere watches.

Put a Master Compressor on a go anywhere strap like a Hirsch Grand Duke and it's as useable in all conditions as a Rolex Oyster.

The Polaris is stunning and I almost went for it but the miserly PR and the date put me off. Without a date window that would be another level - if that was even possible.

As for the Geo and Comp diver I'm close to the edge on each of these despite being mono-brand with Panerai just now. In the case of the diver it's the chrono or Memovox that's got my eye.

The 8 day PC on SC just now is wow...

Master
    Or even an Isofrane strap...

Craftsman
    yes, poorly worded on my part. The bracelet is a hardened rubber, light, very durable and the balance of weight comes from the deployment clasp, it is super comfortable
    I doubt you expected the bracelet to be the focus amongst all the other lovely stuff posted!

Makes sense really, would be interesting to see more high quality rubber, plastic in watches. Looks like its aged well.

How does it feel, especially when warm?

Master
    Thank you for the very interesting post. It is a good introduction to the company which, apart from some of their amazing complications, I didn't know a huge amount about, now I know a little more.

There a couple of Master Control Sector Dials one the forum which appear every now and then. When they do they always bring a smile to my face, to my eyes they are one of the most elegant and beautiful watches around.

Thank you again.

Jaeger-LeCoultre Polaris Date Limited Edition Q9068681 (some of the pics are from the net)

So you will be pleased to learn that I have arrived at my last post and most recent JLC acquisition made last year through the forum. I had been eyeing up a Polaris for some time, hovering around various AD’s, pausing to consider whether today was going to be the day I bit the bullet and went for it. But I could never seem to commit, it wasn’t until I saw this that I ever understood why. The dial.

The standard Polaris has a lot going for it, 41mm, simple, good looking (like me, well simple, not good looking) and interestingly dismissed the blue dial on the standard model day one as it just didn’t ‘sing’ to me at all. So it was always going to be the black dial.

Then one fine day in the month of my birthday (October should you wish to forward a card or gift)this came up, brand new and under rrp. As soon as I saw the dial I knew why I hadn't pulled the trigger on the standard version.

Limited to 800 pieces worldwide, slightly larger at 42mm, supplied on an integrated curved rubber strap with deployment, that sunburst blue dial, it was ooh lal la moment, struck down like it was my first day at school and my eyes caught a glimpse for the 1st time of Jacqui who was in my class at school from age 5 until 16 who I always held a bit of a candle for. It was LOVE.

So as I said 42mm, 13mm in height and c.47mm lug to lug. Case is steel. Rotating bezel in the rehaut, date function at the 3 and of course, 2 compressor key crown system in case you are having a Sunday morning pootle at depths of 200m. Polished thin bezel and a brushed lugs and side case.

The dial and internal bezel take up all of the forward aspect view when you look at it so it wears bigger yet despite my girlie wrists it works. The date window isnot for everyone, those faithful to the original versions would I am sure rather see it without and JLC does a non date in the standard version. But this is a limited edition and standard wasn’t what they were looking for.

It houses the in house 899A automatic movement, 38hr PR (the only disappointment), a beating heart of 28,800 a / h and 209 components
    The supplied blue rubber strap is lovely, colour wise its a great match, the clasp is a JLC clasp I.e. bloody nice. The only complaint is the strap length is too long for me, I would like to have seen a shorter version shaving off 20mm. Its very comfortable.

So on to the dial. This dial radiates sunshine, the dial continually changes colour in light and shade and bursts out from the centre graduating depth of colour that you don’t often see, I suppose the silver sunburst dial on my Breitling Top Time is the closest I can think of but its normally the 18k Day Date who do that burst of graduating colour very well.

Again like Compressor GMT the indices are the same style and I like them, not overpowering for the dial at all. Personally I like the date window, a good size to balance out the dial. The colour co-ordinated internal bezel is simplistic which suits the overall aura of the watch.

[url=https://postimg.cc/RW8zffxx]

Rubber brings a sportiness to it that I love but it without doubt holds its own on more formal occasions.

That is stunning, and one of my top blue dial watches put there. I've read online people mentioning the low PR for the price and what JLC can offer, but fantastic watch & design wise a twin crown that looks great.