closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: At long last: the Datograph is en route to Canada

At long last: the Datograph is en route to Canada

Remember the long story about the sale of my A. Lange & Söhne Datograph?

I first listed it for sale around Christmas. I had some nibbles from TZ members, but knowing it would never be as popular as a Patek on this forum I listed it on WUS at the same time. Within an hour I had an interest over there, friendly guy from Canada who after some back and forth committed to buying the watch. After a couple of days it however became apparent that we were fighting an uphill battle because of logistics. His initial plan to combine it with a European trip didn't work and then he wasn't happy with shipping options, was horrified the watch could get lost in transit and in the end, withdrew his interest. Since I had received some other expressions of interest in the meantime, I let him go and relisted the watch. There were some other parties showing interest, a gentleman from Dubai, one from Hong Kong - everytime discussions about logistics. Two fraud attempts as well, one claiming to be from Monaco and the other one from Berlin.

In January, I contacted Watchfinder, received a competitive quote and agreed on a deal. By the time they received the watch it transpired that we had miscommunicated and they had expected another watch, so back to me it went. This was the second time I had marked it as sold and then relisted and I was beginning to ask myself if this was cursed. But again, I received some interest via WUS and once again a buyer from Canada emerged and quickly committed to buying it. He was planning for a European trip and we even agreed on a day for the handover in Luxembourg - and then the corona virus struck and all travel plans got cancelled. We agreed at the time we would just sit it out and continue the discussion after the crisis had blown over.

Over the past months, we dropped each other an occasional message every couple of weeks restating our bilateral commitment to follow through, and a couple of weeks back he contacted me and stated he didn't want to wait any longer and would like to finalise the deal. We arranged for payment and shipping and yesterday FedEx rang on my door to pick up the watch, which after a small document-related hiccup, is hopefully by now on its way to the airport.

Bye-bye, Dato. I hope you don't find it too cold over there.

A real saga, but looks like you got there eventually, and bound to have one happy buyer - I wonder if they will take a trip back to Glashutte with it at some stage...
    It's just a matter of time...

Glad it finally worked out and hope it gets to destination safely and without hiccups.
    Hope you are getting something equally interesting after the deal.

i wasn't around Christmas time so never saw the original listing so just went back and had a look, that movement is crazy beautiful, a lovely looking watch. Glad you got it sorted all in the end.

Shipping insurance must have been eye watering

I just went back to have another look, too. The cost of the clasp is eye watering but the movement has to be the most mesmerising in the world. What will/have you replaced it with?

At long last: the Datograph is en route to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    A real saga, but looks like you got there eventually, and bound to have one happy buyer - I wonder if they will take a trip back to Glashutte with it at some stage...
    Wonder whether that would have been a solution?

You send it for service, on completion they return it to buyer or his AD. Guess service not cheap though...

Master
    Amazing watch, congratulations on the eventual sale. One day.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wonder whether that would have been a solution?

You send it for service, on completion they return it to buyer or his AD. Guess service not cheap though...
    Cool idea. But this one was actually serviced in December, and no, it wasn't cheap.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    A stunning watch in every way Raffe. Glad you managed to agree the sale and hope the new buyer enjoys!

Thats some high horology at its best. I am yet to find a Lange that I like more from the front than from the back. The movements on these things are magnificent!

Apprentice
    Hi TZ friends :).

I'm the Canadian buyer of this watch and am very happy to report it arrived safely this morning (will post pics later).

I was aware a previous Canadian buyer backed out but had no idea until this thread was posted that there were so many deals that feel through. I'm honestly suprised no one sealed the deal on this one!

I don't think I can post a feedback yet, but I 100% wholeheartedly recommend Raffe. I've completed dozens of deals over the years throughout the various forums but never had a deal like this one. I just checked and it has been almost 5 months since my initial message inquiring about the watch to today.

If you're ever in Toronto or next time I'm in Europe we should definitely have a beer!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yes, I definitely will. A trip to Glashutte is high on my list!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Cool idea. But this one was actually serviced in December, and no, it wasn't cheap.
    It's funny, I actually was in Dresden mid-December and this deal could have potentially happened then.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    A stunning watch in every way Raffe. Glad you managed to agree the sale and hope the new buyer enjoys!
    Thank you, I definitely am enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    i wasn't around Christmas time so never saw the original listing so just went back and had a look, that movement is crazy beautiful, a lovely looking watch. Glad you got it sorted all in the end.

Shipping insurance must have been eye watering
    I'll get the invoice in approximately a month, but based on past shipping this one will probably be somewhere around $300 USD / €265 (FedEx international priority with full insurance).