closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to value a Rolex

Journeyman

How to value a Rolex

If you are wanting to sell one of your watches how do you know the right number to offer it at?

Might sound like a daft question but if you go online it is all the retailers that are inflated prices. It is easy to get excited and think thats what I want for mine then, but we know the market doesn't work like this for private sales.

I basically have a GMT Master II 116710LN (2017) which is no longer available, online I see prices anywhere between £8k and £12.5k for an unworn. Nothing to say these are selling at that price either.

I am looking to sell mine to raise funds for an incoming but struggling to know what to pitch it at in very, very good condition.

Any hints or tips appreciated.

If you make a thread in WT, I'm sure you'll get one or two low-ball offers. Take an average of those, add 20%.

One In sales like new £8250 same age partially stickered but withdrawn. you can ask what you want for the watch when selling it's what it's worth to someone to buy.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I would ask the boys on the Rolex forum myself, some of those lads know the prices inside out and they have members from all over the world including many from the UK

I take it you don't have access the sales? as could list there

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    If you make a thread in WT, I'm sure you'll get one or two low-ball offers. Take an average of those, add 20%.
    Nobody with more than 250 posts has ever started a "what's my watch worth?" thread...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    I take it you don't have access the sales? as could list there

Yeah I do have access to the sales corner but I wasn't sure what to list it at.

Ive seen unworn ones being advertised at £12.5k on watch sites, with very good condition used up to around £10.5k, but who knows if they are selling at this. You obviously want the best price you can get without it just sitting there.

You wouldn't even get 10.5 for a BLNR on oyster right now let alone an LN.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinny1999 View Post

Ive seen unworn ones being advertised at £12.5k on watch sites, with very good condition used up to around £10.5k, but who knows if they are selling at this. You obviously want the best price you can get without it just sitting there.
    one in sales other day £8250 like new with stickers so feel that's is benchmark

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You wouldn't even get 10.5 for a BLNR on oyster right now let alone an LN.
    I agree

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    you might have access to sales corner but with a post count of 64 you won’t be selling anything.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

You have access to "view" Sales Corner, but you need 250 posts in order to post there.

If you don't have 250 posts, you can't advertise a watch, or anything else, for sale. Even with a stealth sales post in Watch Talk.

If you want to ascertain the value of your watch, there are plenty of options - Watchfinder, Chrono24, eBay.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last few to sell on eBay.

PM sent

Craftsman
    If you actually want to sell it then £8250 is where I would pitch it.

Journeyman

Ok thanks for all the input.

I didn't realise I needed 250 posts to sell in the sales corner, I guess I should come on here more often ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    PM sent
    If it was to me I haven't received anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Nobody with more than 250 posts has ever started a "what's my watch worth?" thread...
    Strange, isn't it?

Journeyman
    Strange, isn't it?
    This was a genuine post, I am not posting this to advertise my watch. I am not even sure I will sell it yet.

I am not a big buyer and seller of watches so this is not something that comes natural, I see a watch I like and I aim for it. If I see another watch which happens to be more expensive I try and work out what mine is worth and will it get me anywhere near where I need to be for the new watch.

So I wanted to know what I could get for mine before I put a deposit down on another. It might be that I just keep hold of it until things pick up again.

Master
    I’m sure your post is totally genuine as you’ve been a member long enough (doubt you’d be slow playing it a decade) but understand people are being cautious. A big scam has just been averted on SC. You’ve only a few posts and no track record so people wouldn’t buy off you anyway, which I’m sure you realise anyway.

This was a genuine post, I am not posting this to advertise my watch. I am not even sure I will sell it yet.

I am not a big buyer and seller of watches so this is not something that comes natural, I see a watch I like and I aim for it. If I see another watch which happens to be more expensive I try and work out what mine is worth and will it get me anywhere near where I need to be for the new watch.

So I wanted to know what I could get for mine before I put a deposit down on another. It might be that I just keep hold of it until things pick up again.

Well, a couple of things...

1. I believe you to be genuine. You're asking about a watch that was once the darling and is now increasingly difficult to shift with big drops in recent times, so it makes sense to ask the question. You do have to understand though, that hardly anyone has ever posed the question who is able to sell on SC, it's usually some 51-post-wonder who raced to 50 and discovered to their dismay that SC was not open for them to sell, hence post 51, "how much is my Rolex worth, it's a genuine question, honest guv, definitely not a stealth sale, oh no."

2. My initial reply to you was based upon my belief that you are genuine and was more of a poke at the hoovers and covert dealers who scour the forum looking for some gullible newbie to flog them a Rolex for a huge discount and subsequent profit. Don't sell to these people.

Master
    Might just be me, but no way I would pay over list for what was a forgoten model once the BLNR arrived.
    The blue/black & red/blue for me are the ones to have.

Get a quote from Xupes, then you will know exactly what you can get for it. The rest is just speculation really. For me, selling privately is more of a headache than it’s worth - sure, you could theoretically get slightly more selling privately, but without long history people won’t buy from you, and you also run the risk of being scammed. Just sell to a dealer, it’s quick and hassle-free.

Watchfinder have been giving some lowball offers recently, although I did do OK with them a few weeks back when I traded in two watches. But get actual quotes from a few dealers. Your watch is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Might just be me, but no way I would pay over list for what was a forgoten model once the BLNR arrived.
    I think this one is the nicest 6 digit GMT
    As the Hulk has proven being unpopular once does not necessarily mean it won’t become sought after.
    SDc is another example of a watch not flying off the shelf at the time becoming popular.

Yep, my friends have all ex-communicated me, the wife has left home and the dog doesn’t speak to me anymore for preferring the black bezel to the blue/black and red/blue...😀

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Yep, my friends have all ex-communicated me, the wife has left home and the dog doesn’t speak to me anymore for preferring the black bezel to the blue/black and red/blue...
    I guess the Spurs squad have caught wind of this too...

Master
    The last thing I’d be doing is asking anybody on here, people think but in reality don’t have a clue how much they’re worth

I guess the Spurs squad have caught wind of this too...
    Reminds me; need to change my avatar after last night! 😢

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    The last thing I’d be doing is asking anybody on here, people think but in reality don’t have a clue how much they’re worth
    In all fairness I think the OP was asking how to go about pricing up a watch for sale rather than asking people here to put a specific £xxxx on it.

The process rather than an actual price me thinks - I might be wrong, I usually am.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Twaddle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    In all fairness I think the OP was asking how to go about pricing up a watch for sale rather than asking people here to put a specific £xxxx on it.

The process rather than an actual price me thinks - I might be wrong, I usually am.
    Oh, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Reminds me; need to change my avatar after last night! 
    I would say it was difficult being a Liverpool fan last night too, but you wouldn't hear me all the way down there.

£7800 one just gone up 2017

it’s all about slavishly following fashion.

Master
    The last thing you’d do would be to ask people on a watch forum about a watch? So I’m guessing you’d advise them to try asking on a fly fishing forum first, or maybe at a beet farmers gathering?

As said above - twaddle!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    The last thing you’d do would be to ask people on a watch forum about a watch? So I’m guessing you’d advise them to try asking on a fly fishing forum first, or maybe at a beet farmers gathering?

As said above - twaddle!
    That’s not what I said was it doosh bag

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, what you said was pure nonsense hence the exaggeration for effect of D’s comment. And why the need to get offensive?
    Last edited by Skyman; 3rd July 2020 at 19:01.

pretty simple £7800 same as one in sales section which is spanking condition 2017. although it's slowy becoming a hacked account sales post

Last edited by bokbok; 3rd July 2020 at 19:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    No, what you said was pure nonsense hence the exaggeration for effect of D’s comment. And why the need to get offensive?
    I stand by what I said, there are certain people on here, bless them, that will when asked give a price that they think a particular watch may be worth/what they’d pay instead of what it’s actually worth

Wasn’t being offensive

Master
    That is what you said though! As for calling me a doosh bag and comments like ‘my bad’ I’m guessing you’re 12? 13 tops? Grow up.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I stand by what I said, there are certain people on here, bless them, that will when asked give a price that they think a particular watch may be worth/what they’d pay instead of what it’s actually worth

Wasn’t being offensive
    If that indeed was what you intended by your statement, then you may wish to edit it, as that is not what it says.

I see this is turning in to another classic TZ Rolex thread

Classy.

Personally, I prefer the guys that take a punt on a value over the sad old folk who can't get over that Speedmasters used to be £1.5k and a Submariner was once £3k and will remind you of this at every opportunity.

I would say it was difficult being a Liverpool fan last night too, but you wouldn't hear me all the way down there.
    Ouch

That was a proper hangover display last night. I'm sure Klopp will put a rocket where it hurts and we'll get it together for the last few games