closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Yet another noise cancelling headphones thread

Master

Yet another noise cancelling headphones thread

I did consider resurrecting Velorum's recent thread but my requirements are very different.

Will NC headphones reduce the speech (and shrieking, shouting etc.) of family like while I'm trying to work. I know this was beyond the abilities of the early iterations of the tech but has this improved at all in recent versions. I'm not expecting total silence but some muting would be good. I've been considering a desk in the (non-attached) garage. Most of the time I'll have (predominantly instrumental) music playing too so that will help.

Recommendations gratefully received.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes they do !

I may have some Bose QC35 (series 1) headphones going on SC later...

I have the Bose QC35 II and they absolutely block out everything around the house!!

Grand Master
    Not long till 1000XM4 release

Bose for show, XM3 or 4 for those who know!!
    RIAC

I bought some of these recently :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

although at a lower price than currently selling, I see.

Their noise reduction is pretty impressive (better than the Sony's I've had for years and close to the Boses of colleagues that I've tried in the past), although I can't really speak to their ability to drown out screeching family members, they do seem somewhat effective at muting the sound of a crying baby (tested using Youtube videos).

I think the big problem is that most of these devices work by detecting an ambient noise and countering it, shouting/crying tends not to be continuous enough for them to work completely on 'peaky' sounds.

Of course, with Amazon you could always try them and send them back if they don't work...

One final point, I find, as other reviewers have, that the bluetooth signal isn't very reliable - I use mine wired to my laptop when I'm on conference calls, so that's not a problem for me.

At one point I travelled a fair bit and considered a set of Bose headphones as they were excellent at dulling aircraft cabin noise, but when I changed jobs the cost seemed extravagant (They do seem to be relatively cheaper these days and used ones are fairly common too).

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd July 2020 at 09:42.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Thanks for the input so far, keep them coming. Wireless is nice to have but at my desk I'm happy to work wired.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

This. Can't go wrong with Bose, but you'll go better with Sony. Is that a grammatically correct sentence?

If you need the headphones now, get the Sony XM3. If you can wait a tad longer, their successors will be released soon, the XM4.

The wife has a pair of XM3 and they are superb in noise cancelling with or without music on. I'd say they cut out 95%+ of noise, sure you can still here what's going on, but it's very quite and very background. Once music is on, you can't here any background noise whatsoever, unless it's exceptionally load. Plus they have excellent battery life.

Master
    I’d agree with the Sony, but I have Bose QC35ii for my commute / working. Only due to some idiot at Sony putting the charging port at the top of the ear cup vs the bottom.

Visually it’s awful & I don’t want to worry about rain entering it if I’m out and about & it starts raining.

They also aren’t as good for travel vs the Bose for folding down into a small space. Not what you need to worry about as an office tool though. I use mine whenever she is home tinkering and I need to concentrate on work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

It was a whole new world when I got my XM3s a few months ago, amazing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    It was a whole new world when I got my XM3s a few months ago, amazing things.
    TBF the Bose SQ is fairly pants. Most Sony or Sennheiser sets at the same price make it look silly.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I recently got a pair of Sony WH 1000 XM3s and they are amazing. However, they don't completely kill sudden noises/shouts. They do, however, reduce such to barely audible. Everything else (washing machine, dishwasher, lawnmower, vacuum) - absolute silence

Craftsman
    I’ve got Sony WH 1000 XM3’s and if I had the choice again I’d go with the Bose. They’re quite heavy compared to Bose I’ve had in the past, noice cancelling is ok but useless for calls as lots of echo/interference. The headband also popped out and snapped under normal use and from looking online I’m not the only one. Apparently Sony won’t fix under warranty and are charging circa £80 for a repair. I just fixed with tape.

Master
    Apple are rumoured to be releasing some high quality over ear noise cancelling headphones in the near future, if you happen to be streaming from iPhones or other Apple kit.

Master
    Bose QC's for me due to comfort. Can wear them for hours unlike the Sony's which I found uncomfortable.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I can recommend Bowers & Wilkins PX7s....not cheap but excellent sound & comfort and you can change the level of noise cancelling to save battery life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    TBF the Bose SQ is fairly pants. Most Sony or Sennheiser sets at the same price make it look silly.
    SQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    SQ?
    Sound quality.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’d agree with the Sony, but I have Bose QC35ii for my commute / working. Only due to some idiot at Sony putting the charging port at the top of the ear cup vs the bottom.
    The charging port is at the bottom of the ear cup. Both cups do have a port like aperture at the top but I think those are a microphone.

I did have WH XM3 but returned as the joint where the cup meets the band was very creaky. I thought it was due to the headphones being new but it didn’t subside. The NC was otherwise excellent.

I now have the WF XM3 and they are excellent.

No wonder it wouldn’t charge!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I can recommend Bowers & Wilkins PX7s....not cheap but excellent sound & comfort and you can change the level of noise cancelling to save battery life.
    I hae had the PX7 and now use the original PX.
    From looking at reviews it seems the Noise cancelling of the PX is not quite as good as the 2 other brands mentioned.

Still i went with the bowers as i was more interested in the sound quality than just NC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Microsoft surface II headphones are good.