closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Older/Bigger Kids Car Seats

Older/Bigger Kids Car Seats

Hi all

Really confused about child car seats at the moment.

Took my daughter out in my car for the first time in months the other day, and she is now well and truly too big for the old multi stage seats I have. Headrest is at max height and she's above it and her shoulders don't fit between the sides. She's well over the recommended 135cm height to need a car seat at all (she is 145cm), she is also well over the 36kg limit stated for even the backless booster cushion style seats. Thing is she is only 7, her brother is 9 and he's a smidge taller but a little lighter, but still over 36kg i reckon.

So what do we do now if there is no seat that fits them, so we just go with nothing at all, even though they recommend kids go in seats until 12 or so?
    Last edited by Brighty; 2nd July 2020 at 11:36.

“ Children must normally use a child car seat until they’re 12 years old or 135 centimetres tall, whichever comes first.

Children over 12 or more than 135cm tall must wear a seat belt.“

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    “ Children must normally use a child car seat until they’re 12 years old or 135 centimetres tall, whichever comes first.

Children over 12 or more than 135cm tall must wear a seat belt.“

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules
    Yeah i know that's the law, but also advice is that kids under 150cm or so need a booster for the seatbelt to sit right and not across their neck, but boosters are only rated to 36kg.

Guess i'll just try both kids in both cars and see how the seatbelt sits, just not sure what to do if it doesn't look right, i guess get a backless booster and ignore the 36kg weight limit, that's got to be better than a seatbelt across the neck
    Last edited by Brighty; 2nd July 2020 at 12:14.

How about something like this? (To bring the seatbelt away from the neck area)

https://www.halfords.com/baby-and-ch...x2-142961.html

Master
    We use a booster cushion. Lifts them up so they’re more in line with the natural seatbelt line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    We use a booster cushion. Lifts them up so they’re more in line with the natural seatbelt line.
    That's what i'm leaning towards, just don't understand why they're only rating to 36kg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    That's what i'm leaning towards, just don't understand why they're only rating to 36kg.
    To be honest I didn’t look into the detail much - it just felt the natural progression and the kids are happy enough (the older of the two is just about to ditch the booster.