closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerry Anderson TV programmes - toys & models

Gerry Anderson TV programmes - toys & models

Following on from my Corgi diecasts thread I thought that I would start a separate one about diecasts from all manufacturers related to Gerry Anderson TV programmes. If you are of a certain age these will all be quite familiar - Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, UFO etc

Many will know of and may well have owned one of the 60's Dinky die casts including the Spectrum SPV and UFO Interceptor but there are many other makers out there who have produced limited runs of really high quality diecasts and plastic models too

I am hoping that folks will post photos of their old models on here!

To start things off, here are some pics of this beautiful Stingray model I picked up last week

It was made by a UK company called 'Product Enterpise' in the early 2000's and the build quality and detail is quite amazing. Its 9" long and a weighty piece that comes with a sturdy display stand. It can also be displayed on the retractable skids fitted - in keeping wit the original. The attention to detail isn't just external, the cockpit / cabin is really well designed, once again to reflect the original, I have tried to capture some of this in the photo below

Showing the retractable skids

To give an idea of scale, here it is next to a 1:43 Corgi car

These are getting hard to find and prices seem to be going up significantly especially for boxed / mint ones. I picked this up from eBay with no box and a broken periscope - also a small crease to the Stingray decal on the starboard side (not very noticeable). I repaired the periscope with superglue.

I would have exploded with excitement if someone had given me one of these in 1965!

Its a thing of wonder and beauty and has pride of place in my display cabinet

I have a couple more diecasts from this manufacturer that I have tracked down on the internet on the way - in addition to some old Dinky's. I'll post some photos when they arrive

In the meantime, what do you guys have?
    Last edited by Velorum; 12th July 2020 at 21:14.

Master
    Wow, nice - I had a plastic Stingray when I was a kid, always loved that design.

I have:

Lady Penelope's FAB1
    Ed Straker's car
    A very battered TB2 with a couple of the spring-operated legs missing

I had a wonderful TB3 in the late '60s, a large plastic one. I always wanted the TB5 from the same manufacturer, you could dock them. No idea what happened to that.

I had the 90s issued Tracey Island that I remember driving around everywhere to find with my mum and all the models to go with, including Lady P's roller. I also had the Stingray model, along with the Captain Scarlet SPV, saloon car, passenger jet and Angel Interceptor.

I must have played with them for hours. I wonder if my parents still have them in a toy box somewhere.

Thanks guys

Try and get some photos up when you can!

In the meantime I had a few more delivered this morning.....

I wonder how many can remember Supercar?

This was the first GA series that I can recall from my childhood and I was forever pestering my family for the cheap plastic toys that you get in Woolworths linked to the series

This is about as far from those flimsy plastic 60's toys as you can get. Another substantial and heavy model from Product Enterpise.

They made two versions, one painted bright red and this monochrome one - made to reflect the fact that the TV series was made in black and white!

I picked this up used and it needed a little fettling but the whole thing is in great condition.

That Mike Mecury is a fine figure of a man...

I would have preferred the colour version if Im honest but have to admit this B&W one looks much better than I was expecting

Had a blue metal (why blue?) TB2 as a kid, with TB4 inside

...and here is Product Enterprises take on the Spectrum SPV

I'm not sure what scale this is but its noticeably larger than the old Dinky version. Being mainly metal its a substantial old thing.

Its finished in a 'weathered' paint job which some will love and some will hate!

No opening gun/rocket hatch at the front (which the Dinky has) but the tracks lower at the back

….and the door opens to reveal a Captain Scarlett figure - though this one doesn't lower to the ground

Once again the design, quality and attention to detail is very impressive. There is detailing to parts where you just wouldn't expect it. Below Ive tried to capture some of the drivers control panel inside

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Had a blue metal (why blue?) TB2 as a kid, with TB4 inside
    The colours that especially Dinky's were painted confused and irritated me as a child (and probably still do if Im honest)

Had someone in the factory bought a job lot of metallic green paint I ask myself?

Which neatly leads us on to this

Back to Dinky - this time a modified UFO interceptor.

I bought this from a chap on eBay who renovates them - and occasionally paints them something nearer the colour that they were on screen

Anathema to the purist diecast collector I guess but it looks much better to me!

….and that's all from my small collection at the moment. I have a Corgi FAB1 (a reissue of the original Dinky) and a little known Japanese diecast Thunderbird 4 on the way so more on these anon
    Last edited by Velorum; 2nd July 2020 at 12:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    The colours that especially Dinky's were painted confused and irritated me as a child (and probably still do if Im honest)

Had someone in the factory bought a job lot of metallic green paint I ask myself?
    Google lead me straight to this apparent answer

https://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/ques...erbird-2-blue/

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Google lead me straight to this apparent answer

https://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/ques...erbird-2-blue/
    Interesting - thanks for that

Well regardless of what the experts at the time thought I thought that the bright green was horrible and the fact the the appearance for the toy was so different to the 'real one' on TV just seemed plain wrong!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I like that Stingray ....and that’s a good,healthy splurge on the collection of Product Enterprise models

I tend not to find myself actually buying any of the Corgi stuff related to Gerry Anderson and I’m not entirely sure why. I do keep thinking about an SPV & and an Interceptor but never seem to make the final purchase.

The only Anderson related model I have is a rather fine all original Shado 2 which I had posted on the Corgi/Dinky thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread prompted at least half of my days distraction browsing ebay for toys. Forgot I also had the baddies fish from Stingray. Part of me wants to say that you got them by sending off from a cereal packet. They were vivid imaginations toys as well.

In fact, I have a book somewhere that goes through the history of all of the Gerry Anderson series' from the start. Particular favourites were Joe 90 and Fireball XL5 with the usual Captain Scarlet, Thunderbirds and Stingray. I'll see if I can dig the book out next time I'm at my parents.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Wow, nice - I had a plastic Stingray when I was a kid, always loved that design.

I have:

Lady Penelope's FAB1
    Ed Straker's car
    A very battered TB2 with a couple of the spring-operated legs missing

I had a wonderful TB3 in the late '60s, a large plastic one. I always wanted the TB5 from the same manufacturer, you could dock them. No idea what happened to that.
    Others I've just remembered I still have - the green Dinky Interceptor, the SHADO Mobile and a Space:1999 Eagle Interceptor. The SHADO Mobile is in a bit of a state unfortunately. I painted the flip-round roof bright yellow with model paint. It's at my Mum's house.

I also had an Airfix Angel Interceptor.

Master
    Oh yes, Captain Scarlet's car. I still have that somewhere, but about half the red paint had been knocked off off by the mid '70s.

The SPV was the single most desirable GA model of all for me, possibly excepting Thunderbird 5. I loved the Maximum Security Vehicle, as well. Never had any of them.

I remember getting the SPV for my 7th birthday, it was light blue I think. I also had that truck with the pop up cannon and Lady Penelope's RR.

Sadly they all ended up with my brother and then finally all lost several battles with my air-rifle and IEDs following a trip to France.

This Corgi reissue of the Dinky TB Rolls Royce came today. Loads of these about on eBay and if you are happy with a battered box (or no box) they can be picked up very cheaply. This one is in mint condition and came in a knackered box - which doesn't bother me at all. The front and rear missiles are unused and still in their packaging. It looks old stock that has sat in the back of a dusty storeroom to me.

I remember having a Space 1999 Eagle Freighter, pretty sure it was an all white one

Craftsman
    I used to have the interceptor but it's gone missing and I think it was blue/grey colour. In the loft I still have my Space 1999 Eagle and Thunderbird 2 with a little 4 inside.
    I want the watch that Straker used to wear. I think it was Certina.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    ... I think it was Certina.
    Cerina Certiday Automatic

Gotta love the cordless phones, which looked like blocks of painted wood.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Cerina Certiday Automatic

Gotta love the cordless phones, which looked like blocks of painted wood.
    I need that watch to go with my others. I'm stuck in the past.

I have a number of the Product Enterprise models too, really nice models

Stingray, Fireball XL5, a colour Supercar, SPV, SHADO mobile, Eagle

I've also got a box set of Thunderbirds and one from Captain Scarlet. I think these were Matchbox

FYI the Product Enterprise models people are still around under the new name of Sixteen 12 and have updated a number of the models, mainly the Space 1999 Eagles so far but have some of the UFO ones coming this year

I quite fancy collecting these. Not particularly the originals due to cost. I fancy an SPV & Angel interceptor, the bigger the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only diecast Thunderbird 4 that I could find - made by Japanese company Bandai in 1992 arrived today.

To be honest it didn't look brilliant in the photos but I thought that I would give it a go. A number of the transfers that should have been in the box were missing and the general quality I thought very poor. Will post it back to the seller on Monday. Guess that I will need to give up on having a TB4 in the cabinet for now......

Master
    Thank you for posting, wonderful memories to start the day.

ok this is why theses forums are dangerous to you wealth, i did not know about theses models and did not know i wanted one till i saw this thread ! the older i get the more i regress to my childhood ! LOL
    long story short , this my newly aquired stingray, bigger & more detailed that i anticipated but nice suprise! & super car next

Good work Mitch - the PE Stingray is less common than the SPV and UFO models. A reasonable number of Supercars about - although these seem to suffer from warped aerials - mainly the plastic one right at the front. At the weekend I am going to experiment with replacing one of these with a piece of stainless steel rod on a full colour one I picked up and then put it on eBay.

Oh, and the other thing to mention about PE die casts is to check that the blanking plate/bung for the hole where the optional stand mounts is present. These are very small bits of plastic that when fitted disguise the hole perfectly as they match the colour scheme- they are very easy to mislay. I have returned a few models due to them being missing - most recently a mint boxed Fireball XL5. Its virtually impossible to get replacements......

Oh, and the other thing to mention about PE die casts is to check that the blanking plate/bung for the hole where the optional stand mounts is present. These are very small bits of plastic that when fitted disguise the hole perfectly as they match the colour scheme- they are very easy to mislay. I have returned a few models due to them being missing - most recently a mint boxed Fireball XL5. Its virtually impossible to get replacements......

A marketing opportunity?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    A marketing opportunity?
    Well worth considering!

On the subject of parts and mods etc.....

As mentioned in the previous post - here are some pics of the Supercar front aerial (or whatever its called)

The problem with a number of these fiddly little bits is that they are made if very soft plastic which deforms easily and once it has is almost impossible to get back into a stable original shape. Although this Supercar was new old stock and had never been removed from its packaging for some reason the aerial had taken on a curved shape. I tried to straighten it but after a couple of hours it just returned to what you see. The plastic is almost like rubber - very easy to bend and flex. In the end I gave up and removed it, fitting a 1mm diameter length of stainless steel rod which I think looks better and is a closer match for the rear vertical metal aerial

I've also been looking at these handmade wooden scale models made by a British owned company in the Philippines. They focus on planes but have a good range of classic sci fi models in their range. They don't use decals, everything is hand painted. Obviously, as they are made from a sold block of mahogany the glazing is painted on - never the less it looks good to me. Most of them are around 15"in length but they do smaller 10" versions for 30% less re price. In fact they will make a model to any scale you like within reason. They have good write ups on the net.

hi Velorum
    thanks, of course you are right and the bottom bung is missing it was advertised as used so not supprised , to be honest i have bought them to display so the stand will fill the hole , wont do much for residual values but hey i bought thses to look at not sell, very much like my watches
    will look at the super car i just bought which is supposed to be new, re drooping antennas, did you try heat to reposition the areials? also seen the wooden ones which look good , wonder how the paint will stand up if displayed ,cheers

I've also been looking at these handmade wooden scale models made by a British owned company in the Philippines. They focus on planes but have a good range of classic sci fi models in their range. They don't use decals, everything is hand painted. Obviously, as they are made from a sold block of mahogany the glazing is painted on - never the less it looks good to me. Most of them are around 15"in length but they do smaller 10" versions for 30% less re price. In fact they will make a model to any scale you like within reason. They have good write ups on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    hi Velorum
    thanks, of course you are right and the bottom bung is missing it was advertised as used so not supprised , to be honest i have bought them to display so the stand will fill the hole , wont do much for residual values but hey i bought thses to look at not sell, very much like my watches
    will look at the super car i just bought which is supposed to be new, re drooping antennas, did you try heat to reposition the areials? also seen the wooden ones which look good , wonder how the paint will stand up if displayed ,cheers
    Tried heat and it stayed straight slightly longer but eventually started curling again. It must have been like that in the box for years.

The wooden models (frome Planearts) have multiple layers of paint over sealed wood so should be durable.

I had one of these but I had no idea what it was until your post. I don't have it any more. It went the way of my Eagle Lander I suspect.

Who can think of Stingray without remembering the Aquaphibians . . .

F.T.F.A.

Also, there was the underwater villain's spy who lived on a cliff and was modelled on Peter Lorre. Interestingly the villain was based on Lawrence Olivier, Troy Tempest on James Garner and Phones on Red Buttons. Aqua Marina who I fell in love with as a six year old was partly based upon Bridget Bardot and someone else who I cant recall.

Talking about female characters from Gerry Andersons 60's programmes how about these.......

Dr Venus

Atlanta Shore (voiced by Miss Moneypenny / Lois Maxwell)

Destiny Angel (more physically in proportion to a live person than the earlier puppets - but strangely, not as attractive to my eyes)

and of course my mid 60's girlfriend, well in my dreams anyway...Aqua Marina

Dr Venus looks as if there might be a problem if you were home at 7.01pm when you promised 7pm.

I remember that the Angels were based on real people but couldn't remember whom, so I just looked it up. Here ya go

Destiny - Ursula Andress
    Melody - Eartha Kitt
    Rhapsody - Jean Shrimpton
    Harmony - Tsai Chin
    Symphony - Janna Hill

On the subject of models, I have a recollection of receiving one Christmas, probably around 1963 or 64, a toy of Steve Zodiac on his Jetmobile, possibly this (photo taken from the web)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

That's Nigel Farage

Also, there was the underwater villain's spy who lived on a cliff and was modelled on Peter Lorre. Interestingly the villain was based on Lawrence Olivier, Troy Tempest on James Garner and Phones on Red Buttons. Aqua Marina who I fell in love with as a six year old was partly based upon Bridget Bardot and someone else who I cant recall.

Talking about female characters from Gerry Andersons 60's programmes how about these.......

Dr Venus

Atlanta Shore (voiced by Miss Moneypenny / Lois Maxwell)

Destiny Angel (more physically in proportion to a live person than the earlier puppets - but strangely, not as attractive to my eyes)

and of course my mid 60's girlfriend, well in my dreams anyway...Aqua Marina
    ah the perfect girl friend/ wife--Aqua Marina , beautiful & mute LOL

Master
    Following on from my Corgi diecasts thread I thought that I would start a separate one about diecasts from all manufacturers related to Gerry Anderson TV programmes. If you are of a certain age these will all be quite familiar - Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, UFO etc

Many will know of and may well have owned one of the 60's Dinky die casts including the Spectrum SPV and UFO Interceptor but there are many other makers out there who have produced limited runs of really high quality diecasts and plastic models too

I am hoping that folks will post photos of their old models on here!

To start things off, here are some pics of this beautiful Stingray model I picked up last week

It was made by a UK company called 'Product Enterpise' in the early 2000's and the build quality and detail is quite amazing. Its 9" long and a weighty piece that comes with a sturdy display stand. It can also be displayed on the retractable skids fitted - in keeping wit the original. The attention to detail isn't just external, the cockpit / cabin is really well designed, once again to reflect the original, I have tried to capture some of this in the photo below

Showing the retractable skids

To give an idea of scale, here it is next to a 1:43 Corgi car

These are getting hard to find and prices seem to be going up significantly especially for boxed / mint ones. I picked this up from eBay with no box and a broken periscope - also a small crease to the Stingray decal on the starboard side (not very noticeable). I repaired the periscope with superglue.

I would have exploded with excitement if someone had given me one of these in 1965!

Its a thing of wonder and beauty and has pride of place in my display cabinet

I have a couple more diecasts from this manufacturer that I have tracked down on the internet on the way - in addition to some old Dinky's. I'll post some photos when they arrive

In the meantime, what do you guys have?
    Is the Corgi car a Triumph Vitesse ??
    I had one back in the 60's and I'm positive it was blue and white

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    That's Nigel Farage

If the Aquaphibians find out you wrote that they'll come for you . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    If the Aquaphibians find out you wrote that they'll come for you . . .
    whoops sorry🙁

Interest suitably piqued re Space Patrol, I did a little searching. Lots of info on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_...962_TV_series), very interesting.

I could distinctly remember an episode involving giants, and here it is for your delectation . . .

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Is the Corgi car a Triumph Vitesse ??
    I had one back in the 60's and I'm positive it was blue and white

No, it's a Herald Coupe.

I had one in coffee and white.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

No, it's a Herald Coupe.

Hahaha near enough.I'm sure mine was a Vitesse.
    I had a Triumph 2000 and Rover P5 too.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I had an SPV & several Thunderbird models but they all got played with - a lot, so they'd all be well beaten up now. I expect my parents got rid after my little brother had finished with them.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

No, it's a Herald Coupe.

Thats right, Corgi 231 1961 Triumph Herald Coupe with opening bonnet. This one is a mint unrestored example in its original box which is undamaged. The engine has its original plastic oil cap - this is often missing.

Interest suitably piqued re Space Patrol, I did a little searching. Lots of info on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_...962_TV_series), very interesting.

I could distinctly remember an episode involving giants, and here it is for your delectation . . .

Good call Bob. I remember this series well, it was made my an ex colleague of Gerry Anderson's I believe.

It ran from 1963 to 1964 so was concurrent with with the latter episodes of Fireball XL5 (1962 - 1963) and the early ones of Stingray (1964-1965)

Made on a tighter budget than both of these and consequently a little crude in comparison it still had a lot going for it. As a child I found it rather spooky at times and now I watch it again more then 50 years later I note quite dark and eerie overtones to it. It sometimes had an odd quite dreamlike even nightmarish quality - though I doubt that this was intentional.