timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder video - My Biggest Watch Collecting Mistakes >>

Blog Entries

Watchfinder video - My Biggest Watch Collecting Mistakes >>

Came out June , 2020 - found this almost too painful to watch

Martyn

Journeyman
    My sentiments exactly. Now I am older but sadly, no wiser.

Master
    Rolex, AP, FPJ, the 3 most hyped Brands rightnow (Also RM).

I guess Watchfinder is now firmly in the FPJ Bandwagon to compete with watchbox!

Master
    I watched that vid the day it came out, and although I liked the video I thought he was linking collecting watches to be all about the money you can make and lose when that’s not what the game is all about is it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Rolex, AP, FPJ, the 3 most hyped Brands rightnow (Also RM).

I guess Watchfinder is now firmly in the FPJ Bandwagon to compete with watchbox!
    I'm convinced there's some kind of pump and dump scheme going on with FPJ. Obviously nothing against them as a brand at all but I think there's a suspicious amount of hype around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I watched that vid the day it came out, and although I liked the video I thought he was linking collecting watches to be all about the money you can make and lose when that’s not what the game is all about is it.
    Interesting view. I felt that way a little too but also I think he had to mention it as the market changed so much - you just can’t help but look back/reflect and think what would happen if...
    I love Watchfinder’s videos, that guy is really passionate about watches and IMO every video shows just that (bare in mind these are pretty much just adverts for watches).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I'm convinced there's some kind of pump and dump scheme going on with FPJ. Obviously nothing against them as a brand at all but I think there's a suspicious amount of hype around them.
    I think its not a pump and dump. i think its just market manipulation done by Watchbox mainly. Because supply for the covetted pieces are so low, its easy to corner the market for FPJ's top watches liek Resonance, CB, etc

COnsidering the recent souscription watches that sold for over 1m, i think that prices will likely only go up for his watches, but for sure, there is some degree of manipulation happening.

I could make a similar video with old watches (and cars)!

Master
    I might be the only one but I thought that video was rubbish to be honest. If you look back in history there are always things you could have made money on in hindsight. I would have had a chat to Picasso in the late 60's and picked up a few pieces of his work and the value of those now would make the uplift on a GMT like pocket change. Might have driven there in my 250 GTO which would have cost probably $15,000 at the time and would have been worth $50 million now etc etc.

Just seemed like an advert saying buy these sort of watches now (as there are lot of Rolex GMT's and AP RO's on WF) and if you keep hold of them for a few years they will be worth a lot more. I'm not sure past performance is a guide to future performance when it comes to watches but I'm not an expert! I thought watch collecting mistakes would be about a nice watch you missed out on/sold for more than just its potential to appreciate in value but never mind.

When WF makes a video of people who only lost £10k on their diamond encrusted Jacob and Co selling privately but had they part exchanged it to WF they would have lost another £10k and market that as a watch collecting success story I might take more notice.

Painful watching and all too familiar. That AP was stunning though.