closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorbike - Want One - What Next?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My dream machine: a 2020 Yamaha Vmax 1679cc V-4 with earth-turning torque...only $17,999.00!

Funny. The Vmax was my dream bike until I owned one. The 77 miles to reserve riding conservatively just killed the dream. Sold it within a couple of months.
    Don’t have any more dream bikes now.

photo url

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Funny. The Vmax was my dream bike until I owned one. The 77 miles to reserve riding conservatively just killed the dream. Sold it within a couple of months.
    Don’t have any more dream bikes now.
    My RGV was a bit like that

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    There's a multitude of forums, YouTube contributors and Facebook pages, many of them brand or model specific.
    I can't think of a non-specific one, off the top of my head, that's like TZ-UK though.
    I'd suggest that The Motor Bike Forum is as close as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

but what more could you wish for

Lovely thing

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'd suggest that The Motor Bike Forum is as close as it gets.
    I'll have a gander

The latest Africa Twin looks nice

I wish my R80 was that pretty.

I note that like mine, yours is the twin side stand model :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Lovely thing
    sold it a couple of years ago after maybe 25 years of ownership - 1984/5 model, still almost like new, had it in France most of the time and just used it in summer

Only problem was a cracked coil, which is common, plus new Battery and Tyres - kept totally original - Oh! I fitted the extra Surefoot side stand, for obvious reasons

I think that I did advertise it on here

Here's another smaller engined BM R850R, that I would recommend to the OP

Last edited by BillN; 9th July 2020 at 12:22.

Motorbike - Want One - What Next?

Well as a result of that lovely Ducati Scrambler that was for sale a month or so back and this thread I decided it’s now or never.

I did my first CBT back in 2012 only for my wife to guilt trip me to not owing a bike due to us having our new born baby.

Then I did another CBT and a couple of 500cc lessons again in 2017 following a divorce only for work and divorce battles to steer me off track.

Well finally I decided no excuses, so I completed my CBT last Saturday, block booked all the Direct Access and paid up front, I had my first lesson yesterday on a 500cc bike, the theory test is booked for next week and then i decided to buy gloves, boots and get myself a bike which I always wanted and had the aim to get...

So having agreed a deal on the bike I always wanted, I collected it this morning with a good mate of mine who went with me to view the bike, he drove it home and now it’s parked up ready for the day I can drive it legally (hopefully in the next couple of months all being well)...

Gentlemen my beautiful barely ridden Triumph Street Triple R model, my mate said it was a stunning example and I got a great deal on it, insurance is now in place as well and security things are en route...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 9th July 2020 at 14:23.

Master
    Lovely bike that Triumph it will keep you,in good stead for a good couple of years.
    Last edited by higham5; 9th July 2020 at 15:16.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Lovely bike that Triumph it will keep you,in good stead
    +1 - yep it looks lovely

Great looking Street Triple but I think I'm more jealous of the garage!

Very nice.
    By coincidence I have been thinking about a Street Triple 675 myself.
    In fact, I dropped into my local bike shop to have a look at one and a few others when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a Yamaha XSR700. It's not a bike I'd heard of (although I understand it's heavily based on the MT-07 which I don't like the look of personally) but something about it 'chimed' with me. Any views on an XSR700 as a first bike?

XSRs are good bikes. Well there really aren’t any bad ones these days!

The 700 twin is fine but I’d be tempted to go for the 900 triple as you’re less likely to grow out of it with experience.

I’d leave the 1000 (four) alone although that’s the one with all the really nice stuff on it! It’s basically an R1 engine which is more than enough for even the most experienced riders.

If you can get one in Kenny Roberts colours, even better!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The latest Africa Twin looks nice

That is lovely. I had as my first real bike an 80/7. Ex Met Pol diplomatic protection group bike.

Lovely but yours is MUCH nicer. Lucky you

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    It was me :o). No apologies I was clearly doing you a favour ! +1 for reading Tony's thread from the start.....all the advice you'll ever need. Looking forward to hearing about your journey too.

There's just something about that bike. Awesome!

My wife caught me looking at bikes a few weeks ago and gave me that look. I had to console myself with a new push bike instead

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Any views on an XSR700 as a first bike?

Is it me, or does it look tiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Yep...too tiny. Imagine THIS in your grill.

Very nice.
    By coincidence I have been thinking about a Street Triple 675 myself.
    In fact, I dropped into my local bike shop to have a look at one and a few others when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a Yamaha XSR700. It's not a bike I'd heard of (although I understand it's heavily based on the MT-07 which I don't like the look of personally) but something about it 'chimed' with me. Any views on an XSR700 as a first bike?
    It’s an absolutely superb bike, and would also be a perfect first bike. As you say, very much like a retro version of the MT-07

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...a/xsr700/2015/

The XSR900 is a pretty serious bike, the '700 is a much better first bike.

I firmly believe the 700 would be more fun as a town centric / commuter bike, the 900 has more power than necessary in my opinion.

Lovely bikes, I got chatting to a guy on a green XSR700 today - they also look great in the yellow anniversary colours

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Yes it does.
    It really isn't, though. It has a seat height of 835mm and weighs about 190kg. I actually discounted it when I was looking as it felt a lot taller than all the other bikes I was looking at.

I imagine that the guy used in the photo shoot was particularly large.

It certainly didn't look small in the shop. It appeared to have a bit more 'bulk' than the Street Triple (whether that's a good thing or not). At 6'1" and a bit of a Clydesdale I don't want a bike that's too small for me.

It certainly didn't look small in the shop. It appeared to have a bit more 'bulk' than the Street Triple (whether that's a good thing or not). At 6'1" and a bit of a Clydesdale I don't want a bike that's too small for me.
    If it's any help, I'm 6ft 1" in height, the Street Triple feels good when I sit on it, my mates 6ft and he rode it home yesterday for me, and he said its a very comfortable, quick and quite a light bike, he said it was a great ride home for the 10 miles he covered on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    If it's any help, I'm 6ft 1" in height, the Street Triple feels good when I sit on it, my mates 6ft and he rode it home yesterday for me, and he said its a very comfortable, quick and quite a light bike, he said it was a great ride home for the 10 miles he covered on it.
    The XSR700 is a bigger bike than the Street Triple.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It really isn't, though. It has a seat height of 835mm and weighs about 190kg. I actually discounted it when I was looking as it felt a lot taller than all the other bikes I was looking at.

I imagine that the guy used in the photo shoot was particularly large.
    In terms of this rider photo, he does make the bike look small. I do find people with long torso's in particular can make certain riding positions make them look like "gorillas on a circus bike". My neighbour is 6'2" and when he bought his first bike (Triumph Bobber) he looked bloody ridiculous. Couldn't say anything to him obviously, as he was so chuffed and if was his "dream" bike. After a few months of ownership he caught his reflection in a shop window one day whilst stuck in traffic. The bike was sold 2 weeks later!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    In terms of this rider photo, he does make the bike look small. I do find people with long torso's in particular can make certain riding positions make them look like "gorillas on a circus bike". My neighbour is 6'2" and when he bought his first bike (Triumph Bobber) he looked bloody ridiculous. Couldn't say anything to him obviously, as he was so chuffed and if was his "dream" bike. After a few months of ownership he caught his reflection in a shop window one day whilst stuck in traffic. The bike was sold 2 weeks later!
    Haha - brilliant! You're right though - long torsos can make people look silly on some bikes. When I was buying both my Triumphs Ben at the dealership took lots of photos on his phone (without prompting from me) so I could check what I looked like on them.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 13th July 2020 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    XSRs are good bikes. Well there really aren’t any bad ones these days!

The 700 twin is fine but I’d be tempted to go for the 900 triple as you’re less likely to grow out of it with experience.

If you can get one in Kenny Roberts colours, even better!
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post

I firmly believe the 700 would be more fun as a town centric / commuter bike, the 900 has more power than necessary in my opinion.

Lovely bikes, I got chatting to a guy on a green XSR700 today - they also look great in the yellow anniversary colours.
    I've seen a couple of reviews that specifically warn against the XSR900 as a beginner bike. Maybe I'll end up with one as my second bike or maybe my tastes will move in a different direction in a couple of years but if I'm going to get an XSR now it'll be the 700.

I do like the Kenny Roberts colour scheme too, not least because 'back in the day' one of my mates had an RD350YPVS like this...

As the owner of a long torso, I've given up caring what I look like but moan that my out of proportion little legs and arms put me in a much sportier riding position than most, and buying clothing that doesn't leave a gap at the midriff leaves me with ridiculously baggy trouser legs.

Worse than anything else though are one piece racing leathers where the shoulder to groin distance is never enough, so severe genital mutilation is likely if I try and hold any body position other than hunch back of Notre Dame

...I had my first lesson yesterday on a 500cc bike, the theory test is booked for next week and then i decided to buy gloves, boots and get myself a bike which I always wanted and had the aim to get...
    Out of interest, what 500 are you learning on?

It’s a Honda, can’t remember exactly what the model number is, it might be a CBF...

Last edited by Martylaa; 11th July 2020 at 08:32.

Master
    I've seen a couple of reviews that specifically warn against the XSR900 as a beginner bike. Maybe I'll end up with one as my second bike or maybe my tastes will move in a different direction in a couple of years but if I'm going to get an XSR now it'll be the 700.

I do like the Kenny Roberts colour scheme too, not least because 'back in the day' one of my mates had an RD350YPVS like this...

The colour way is called “ Speedblock” Yamaha have used it across their bikes from the mid 70’s and it looks so cool in yellow , but you will also see red and blue speedblock designs.

Yellow midget’s colours. Or should that be colors?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The Honda SP's are really nice bikes, but probably not the best choice for a beginner. You really notice the weight at low speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I did my DAS around 16yrs ago - and for more than a moment, considered a Honda SP2 as first bike.(WTF was I thinking!)

Ended up getting a BMW R1100s BoxerCup Replika - a bit of a big lump for a beginner too, but took to it.

Good luck with it all.
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Small steps...

I spoke to my mate today who's renting my garage off me and agreed to rent half of it back of him so I have somewhere to put a bike.

I've bought a 125 - it's a couple of weeks 'til my theory test and maybe a few more weeks 'til my direct access course so I'll have something to ride in the interim which can only help with road experience.

Mrs MCH has announced that she also want a motorbike and has always wanted to ride one. To be fair, in our 26 years together, she has mentioned it at least twice, maybe three times. So I've encouraged her to book herself onto a CBT and she can have the 125 after me.

Next big one is the theory test on the 24th.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 13th July 2020 at 13:29.

Congratulations!

There should always be demand for a decent 125, as a lot of people will want one to learn on. So you shouldn’t have much trouble selling it; possibly after your Mrs has passed too.

Youll also find it easier to move about, and place your feet flat when stopped if needed. I’m not convinced they are any safer than a bigger cc bike for a lot of people learning though, but most of us started on one, or even lower cc.

My criteria for buying these days would start with throttle response, as it will make a huge difference to confidence when riding. The original Yamaha MT09 triples has quite aggressive throttle responses, and were very much on or off with no gradual power. The best fuel injection systems can mimic and even improve on a good carb set up. The later MT09 I tried had improved considerably and feel better than the MT07 to me, and the engine characteristics are a world better than the MT07. As an example I hated the CBR600’s at the Ron Haslam race school at Donington for this reason. My own CBR600 was set up with perfectly progressive throttle response, but the race school bikes, at that time, would snap the power on and off, when felt horrible and upset the bike when applying the power coming out of corners - Whereas the Fireblades we tried later in the year at the school felt super smooth and were much easier to ride for that reason. The first fuel injected CBR600’s were shocking - so much so I took mine back within two weeks and traded it for a Fireblade; a bike my brother still owns today.

Anything that makes you feel more confident when riding is a good thing. If I was starting again I would continue further rider training at an early stage.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quick spin up the road...

Master
    If anyone is looking for a bike and fancies a Triumph Rocket III Roadster mine is for sale on the GS forum.

2016 and less than 500 miles. Before anyone suggests I should try riding it, I have a few bikes!

Quick spin up the road...

Is the Car & Fiddle still closed or is it just closed for COVID?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    If anyone is looking for a bike and fancies a Triumph Rocket III Roadster mine is for sale on the GS forum.
    I'm not convinced it would be a good choice as my first 'big bike' but they look awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Is the Car & Fiddle still closed or is it just closed for COVID?
    It's still closed as a pub and will be for some time. Robinsons have gone into partnership with Forest Distillery who are storing their whisky up there in the cellars. I believe they are open again as a takeaway cafe but ultimately it will be a pub, cafe, distillery and visitor centre. More info here: https://www.theforestdistillery.com/cat-fiddle-weasel/

Small steps...

I spoke to my mate today who's renting my garage off me and agreed to rent half of it back of him so I have somewhere to put a bike.

I've bought a 125 - it's a couple of weeks 'til my theory test and maybe a few more weeks 'til my direct access course so I'll have something to ride in the interim which can only help with road experience.

Mrs MCH has announced that she also want a motorbike and has always wanted to ride one. To be fair, in our 26 years together, she has mentioned it at least twice, maybe three times. So I've encouraged her to book herself onto a CBT and she can have the 125 after me.

Next big one is the theory test on the 24th.
    Which 125 did you go for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which 125 did you go for?
    Yamaha YBR125 (2012). It doesn't set my pulse racing but it will do a job for a few weeks.

Nice one you’ll be getting more road time than I will, hoping to get more lessons on the 500 once I’ve passed my theory (again...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The lad's got a YBR 2009 that he's had since he was 17 and he's waiting until he's 24 to go for his full A licence. I enjoy riding it every now and again - it's more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Mile after mile, throttle to the stop, wrapped around the tank, left hand on the fork leg, chin on the clocks...

I may only be touching 60mph but for a few minutes I'm 17 again.

Theory test passed, was bloody nervous waiting for the the results, next lesson booked to start the Mod 1...

Yamaha YBR125 (2012). It doesn't set my pulse racing but it will do a job for a few weeks.
    Excellent 125 though! :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Should've done it years ago!
    Now up to 110 miles on the YBR125 since Tuesday afternoon and really enjoying bazzing around the countryside in the sunshine.

Lad did 260 miles on his YBR on mostly little Welsh roads yesterday.

Apart from on the steepest of uphill drags, he spent the day filling my mirrors

Do you know what I did today?
    Rode the YBR for an hour and a half and cancelled the indicators after *every* turn.

Do you know what I did today?
    Rode the YBR for an hour and a half and cancelled the indicators after *every* turn.
    *applause*

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post

Lovely bikes, I got chatting to a guy on a green XSR700 today - they also look great in the yellow anniversary colours

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

love my XSR700. This was originally the anniversary model.