closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorbike - Want One - What Next?

Motorbike - Want One - What Next?

Short history - when we were 15 or so, my mates and I used to buy scrap motorbikes and rag them up and down a disused railway line. As 'we' turned 16 and 17 they got mopeds (FS1E, SS50 etc) and then bikes (RD250s or KH250s etc) passed their tests and went on to bigger bikes. I (and I'm not desperately proud of this) used to borrow their bikes from time to time but never got round to actually getting a licence.

And then 35 years passed...

And I did my CBT today. Even on a 15 year old CG 125 I really enjoyed it and decided I want one (not a CG125 though).
    I've already got a theory test booked for later in the month - it was originally booked for Friday but has been postponed due the Covid-19. I've just had a text to say that my test is going ahead so presumably practical tests are happening again soon too.

I reckon I have two practical options:
    • Book in with company I did the CBT with for one of their Direct Access courses when practical tests restart
    • Buy a 125 and ride it for a year and then put myself through the test

Using very rough 'man maths' I reckon the Direct Access course cost and the costs of keeping and changing a 125 are roughly the same so there's no financial push one way or the other.

Things that may or may not be relevant:
    • For much of the 35 years I haven't been riding a motorbike, I've been riding a bicycle (road and mountain bike) so I'm fully aware everyone else on the road wants to kill me
    • I've had some quite fast cars (most Saab Turbos and Volvo T5s and have driven them all sensibly (no points ever and never been through a wall) - so I think I could own a powerful bike before I'm ready for a powerful bike
    • I'm tallish (at 6'1") so would need something a bit bigger than a CG125 if I went for a 125. I was basically sat on the pillion seat. Thinking KTM 125 Duke.

So... what should I do? Pros/cons?

p.s I've been thinking of doing this for years but whoever sold the orange Ducati Scrambler a few weeks ago has pushed me to it.

Definitely do the direct access if I were you. I did an intensive 3.5 days and test on the 4th. It’s awesome and you can have as much fun on a £2k motorbike as you can in a £50k car. I still remember getting on a brand new fireblade in 2008 and just couldn’t believe something so much fun was still legal.

Why not get a 125 for now? If you buy right it’ll barely cost you a penny and you can get some practice and road skills in advance of your test.

So many bikes to choose from these days, but the advice I wish I had followed was just buy the bike you want. If you make compromises on the way like buying something you feel you should (or other people feel you should) you’ll still get to the one you really want, but you’ll just lose a chunk of money on the others on the way

Enjoy it. It’s one of the best things I ever did.

Master
    I would look briefly at the first couple of pages of Tony LTF post on here . That charts his journey through buying a 125 and agreeing to sell it back so not losing much money.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t=Bike+related

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think BMW are doing great deals on their 310 range including riding kit and equipment and training.

Jim

Hello!

Congratulations on passing your CBT!

I think we're of quite similar age, my first bike was an un-restricted FS1E. I got my full bike license at 17 borrowing a mate's Honda CB125 for my test as knobblies on my DT175 on a rainy cold November day may possibly have not increased my chances of passing the test that day Not long after I passed my test I upgraded to a RD350LC. About 20 bikes have followed since.

I've had a few mates of mine over the years who have subsequently passed their tests through either Direct Access or riding a 125cc on a provisional license on public roads and general consensus from them is the DA route is better. Possibly because you're on a bike for 3-5 days with an instructor with a deadline target as opposed to tooling around on your own on public roads?

One thing that is hugely relevent..........you state that "I've been riding a bicycle (road and mountain bike) so I'm fully aware everyone else on the road wants to kill me". You've got the right safety attitude as that's the mantra I've always had. Apologies for resurrecting a very old and boring saying but there are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers.

You mention a KTM Duke 125. To be honest I think your first bike will probably be like some people's first watch in that I suspect you will probably upgrade your bikes rather quickly KTM make damn good bikes, I owned a 640 Duke (last of the carb versions around 2006) and just the other week re-kindled the ownership of owning Austrian motorcycles by buying as a second bike a 2015 KTM 690 Supermoto. It oozes quality build! Just bear in mind that sub 400cc or so KTMs are built in India as opposed to Mattighofen.

Congratulations again on your CBT and welcome to the wonderful world of bikes!
    Mark
    Moto Guzzi Bellagio
    KTM 690 SMC
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 1st July 2020 at 21:31.

Another vote for Direct Access through a good training outfit, but I wouldn't buy a small bike...pass your test/s then buy something that will last you at least the rest of the year. I would go for something 600cc upwards, in fact, you will probably do your training on that sort of size bike so you will get an idea if that's for you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I would look briefly at the first couple of pages of Tony LTF post on here . That charts his journey through buying a 125 and agreeing to sell it back so not losing much money. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t=Bike+related
    I'll give that a good long read but, if nothing else, it's introduced me to the Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 which looks like an awesome beast!

Thanks to others as well. My original plan was the Direct Access route and I think I'm leaning that way again.
    I'll contact the training centre tomorrow and find out what they know about tests starting again and see how quickly I can do a course after my theory test. It might be as simple as 'weeks' = skip the 125, 'months' = get a 125 for the rest of the summer and autumn and go bigger next year.

Now to ask my mate who I rent my garage to if I can rent half of it back off him...

Direct access for sure! get the ktm125 until you can take the test, then get the biggest fastest loudest most ridiculous bike you want immediately after passing. Then sell the 125.

I went from a 125 to a v-max 1200 in the same week (few years ago)...lived through it but had some hairy moments that’s for sure. Wish I had a bike at the moment.

Passing my bike test has meant more to me than any exam, the exceleration, rideouts, weekends away, making friends, trips with mates, charity runs, even just polishing it. The freedom a bike gives in this day and age is unprecedented. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Passing my bike test has meant more to me than any exam, the exceleration, rideouts, weekends away, making friends, trips with mates, charity runs, even just polishing it. The freedom a bike gives in this day and age is unprecedented. Good luck!
    Hurrah for that !

Direct Access is definitely the way to go.

If vista are similar, it makes sense to get on a decent size bike (with much much more choice of bike) earlier rather than later

Is direct access where you do it all in the space of a few days then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did mine as a weeks course (this was about 30 yrs ago so i guess it changed alot :) ) , just use one of the centres bikes to take your test then get something like an MT07 or street triple after you have passed (or whatever type of bike you like )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Is direct access where you do it all in the space of a few days then?

Yes.

I did a seven day course with BMW training having had an almost 40 year gap since my last bike.

I arranged a theory test for myself and then went straight to the school.

The CBT was first on a 125 for a day or so, followed by a few days on an F800GS - doing a mix of module 1 training on a car park and module 2 training on the roads. On day 7 I had my mod 1 test in the morning and mod 2 in the afternoon.

It was quite intense but great fun.

Having got the licence I’ve not looked back, and bikes are now an important part of my post-retirement life.

One thing I would recommend is, having passed the test, to get some further training with IAM, ROSPA or whatever.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Short history - when we were 15 or so, my mates and I used to buy scrap motorbikes and rag them up and down a disused railway line. As 'we' turned 16 and 17 they got mopeds (FS1E, SS50 etc) and then bikes (RD250s or KH250s etc) passed their tests and went on to bigger bikes. I (and I'm not desperately proud of this) used to borrow their bikes from time to time but never got round to actually getting a licence.
    You must be from the North East ;-) I was the same!

Not being as tall as you I ended up with a 600cc blade and thoroughly enjoy it. Go for it and am sure you won't regret it.

Cheers,

J

OP thanks for starting this thread as I’ve been close a few times but now I’m ringing a direct access center near me and I’m going to get it done ASAP...

........... whoever sold the orange Ducati Scrambler a few weeks ago has pushed me to it.
    It was me :o). No apologies I was clearly doing you a favour ! +1 for reading Tony's thread from the start.....all the advice you'll ever need. Looking forward to hearing about your journey too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Indeed. Life wouldn't be right without a motorbike.

OP - take a week off, do your DA, pass your tests then buy an inexpensive 600cc, learn your road craft, handling, positioning and increase your confidence, then buy what makes your heart melt, pulse race and your face grin.

Enjoy the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    It was me :o). No apologies I was clearly doing you a favour ! +1 for reading Tony's thread from the start.....all the advice you'll ever need. Looking forward to hearing about your journey too.

Same as me, I was sat looking at the bike thinking I could buy and then have no excuse not to do the test...

On the back of this thread I’ve booked my CBT and Theory for 2 weeks time then paid for a 16 hour block booking of lessons and the test fees up front lol...

Next question... Is there a 'TZ-UK' equivalent for motorbikes in the UK?
    I have so many numpty questions to ask (or reading to do).

Next question... Is there a 'TZ-UK' equivalent for motorbikes in the UK?
    I have so many numpty questions to ask (or reading to do).
    There's a multitude of forums, YouTube contributors and Facebook pages, many of them brand or model specific.
    I can't think of a non-specific one, off the top of my head, that's like TZ-UK though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    There's a multitude of forums, YouTube contributors and Facebook pages, many of them brand or model specific.
    I can't think of a non-specific one, off the top of my head, that's like TZ-UK though.
    Visordown is the closest I think, https://www.visordown.com/

It tends to be a gazette of bike content. As Stanford says once you have settled on a bike , join the relevant forum for that marque. Eg Im a long term member of UKGSER due to my like of adventure biking, I also visit three separate two stroke forums for bike specific parts and advice.

My only suggestion is be cautious on bike Facebook groups, there are some real idiots on them, with advice ranging from the daft to the dangerous and questions bordering on banal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Same as me, I was sat looking at the bike thinking I could buy and then have no excuse not to do the test...

On the back of this thread I’ve booked my CBT and Theory for 2 weeks time then paid for a 16 hour block booking of lessons and the test fees up front lol...

Congratulations on making the decision, you will not regret it.

That photo of the Scrambler next to the Wisteria was a real winner. I was sorely tempted before a fellow forum member did the deal. The good news is once you are through the training hoops there are so many good bikes to look at and try. These days its hard to buy a bad bike.

Steve

Master
    I passed my test two years ago this September at the age of 52. I had no intention of doing so until I saw and fell in love with a bike that I just felt the urge to own and ride. It was a 1941 BSA 500cc single (British army issue).

So I bought the bike, rode it around the garden and applied for my CBT and then DAC which took around 3 months in all. I never considered buying a 125 until I failed my practical the first time but I held off and passed a couple weeks later.

My advice is to stop and think before buying anything as the bike that takes your fancy today will probably not be the bike you really want or need in a year from now. I feel as though I have lived my life as a biker in fast-forward as I have experimented with different rides from old to new, on-road to off-road, small to big and I have now reached what is a natural point for many my age and bought an Adventure bike (Honda Africa Twin CRF1000).

My other piece of advice is not to think that your experience of 35 years ago means you can jump on a modern big engined bike and tear around the twisties safely. My next bike “purchase” will be an advanced rider course.

And the specific model Facebook groups have been better than the forums for me.

All good advice but let’s not forget the golden rule - 1 motorbike is NEVER enough.

They serve such different purposes and meet such different needs there is a strong argument for at least 3. My recommendation would be a sports bike (because they are just like nothing else), a tourer (because sometimes you want to go a few miles, and even if you don’t, knowing you could in a whim is good), and then a round town bike, preferably that is beautiful and you want to just sit and look at whilst having a coffee and a breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Indeed. Life wouldn't be right without a motorbike.

OP - take a week off, do your DA, pass your tests then buy an inexpensive 600cc, learn your road craft, handling, positioning and increase your confidence, then buy what makes your heart melt, pulse race and your face grin.

Enjoy the journey!
    This would be my advice too. Passed my test on a CG125 too and my first big bike was a GPZ500S. A rocket ship by comparison. A well priced 600 will be easy to move on when find yourself comfortable enough to ride that you dreamt of without worrying about being confident enough to handle it.

Master
    Definitely DAS - a 125 will become tiresome and , in my opinion, will be of limited use as far as experience goes .
    A middleweight once passed is perfect - depending on your taste an SV650 is a great intro , quick enough and very forgiving . Buy right and you’ll lose very little in a few years . I’m a big fan of twins , I’ve tried triples and 4s and they’re not to my taste so take the SV recommendation bearing that in mind 😁

like the others have said, DAS.

if you are in the midlands, give these guys a whirl..
    https://www.circuitbasedtraining.co.uk/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    All good advice but let’s not forget the golden rule - 1 motorbike is NEVER enough.

They serve such different purposes and meet such different needs there is a strong argument for at least 3. My recommendation would be a sports bike (because they are just like nothing else), a tourer (because sometimes you want to go a few miles, and even if you don’t, knowing you could in a whim is good), and then a round town bike, preferably that is beautiful and you want to just sit and look at whilst having a coffee and a breakfast.
    Agreed, I have 7 and feel the need for more.

I'm nearly there then.....oh and you forgot hardcore off roader....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by manganr; 3rd July 2020 at 16:09.

Direct access for sure, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done and has given me so much joy for many, many years. A few times I’ve thought that I’m done with bikes... but they’re never done with me.

I joined TZ without a bike, since then I’ve bought two motorcycles from SC!

Another +1 for direct access. It really was good fun and I mixed with other newbie bikers. Had a deposit down on a 600cc before I'd even taken the test on the Friday.

And another for DAS. Did mine 18 months ago and haven't looked back. Now on my 3rd bike and out at every opportunity.

Do it.

Craftsman
    Definitely do the direct access if I were you. I did an intensive 3.5 days and test on the 4th. It’s awesome and you can have as much fun on a £2k motorbike as you can in a £50k car. I still remember getting on a brand new fireblade in 2008 and just couldn’t believe something so much fun was still legal.

Why not get a 125 for now? If you buy right it’ll barely cost you a penny and you can get some practice and road skills in advance of your test.

So many bikes to choose from these days, but the advice I wish I had followed was just buy the bike you want. If you make compromises on the way like buying something you feel you should (or other people feel you should) you’ll still get to the one you really want, but you’ll just lose a chunk of money on the others on the way

Enjoy it. It’s one of the best things I ever did.
    I did DAS motorcycle training about 12 years ago. I failed my first full test and my instructor suggested I hire a 125 for the weekend to get some experience riding. I did what he suggested and passed second time around.

When I checked, motorcycle test centres are still shut and we don't know when they are going to reopen. If you've got secure parking, then seriously think about getting a 125 for a little while to see how you get on with motorcycling and whether it fits into your life. If you don't get on with it, then you can sell the bike and you probably won't lose too much money on it.

Incidently if you're concerned about size, I have heard that Honda Varadero's are good for larger riders -> https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...varadero/2001/

Agreed! Never had less than 2
    Now looking to add number 3, heart says MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR head says Rickman Metisse
    I’ve owned 40+ bikes over the last 44 years so tried most types and styles good fun riding in the summer, fettling in the winter...

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Agreed! Never had less than 2
    Now looking to add number 3, heart says MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR head says Rickman Metisse
    I’ve owned 40+ bikes over the last 44 years so tried most types and styles good fun riding in the summer, fettling in the winter...
    Go with your heart

Master

3's a good rule, I have most of the bases covered here I think (but have a spare in the shed just in case)

Motorbike - Want One - What Next?

I did my test many moons ago. Went from a cg125 for a year to a Yamaha virago 535 then into a bmw 1150 GSA and that’s when the collecting started.

Being taller than average, I found some of the ‘beginners’ bikes not super comfortable. Although I might not start with a big heavy GS lump I’d definately look at things like the triumph tigers, triumph or Ducati scramblers, the bmw 800gs etc. I guess it comes down to what style riding and seating position you want. I’d go sit on every bike you can... then repeat to narrow down the position you feel comfortable with. And by sitting I’d probably try to stay on the bike for a good few minutes at least. Put a leg up on the peg and think if your knee is comfy. With that said I have lowered pegs and bar risers on all my bikes so there is scope for adjustment but starting off comfy is crucial I think.

I think the idea of starting with a ‘smaller’ powered biked is that young people can easily go too fast, target fixate and miss a turn. I think as we get older this can diminish and we can still be safe starting in a slightly bigger bike.

As an above poster said... I recommend getting something between a 600-1000cc riding for a few months on your own while building confidence and skill then once you forget that you’re new at it sign up for a ROSPA or similar.

Have fun!

Oh... if you haven’t bought one for a while... helmets and gear can be a significant purchase so factor that in for time at the shop as well. If you leave it till the last minute you might have wished you bought something else. For example... the jacket and pants may feel awesome standing in the shop and if it’s a bit cooler out but how does it feel mid summer... or can you fit a sweater under it when it’s a bit cooler out.
    Last edited by canuck; 6th July 2020 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    3's a good rule, I have most of the bases covered here I think (but have a spare in the shed just in case)

Liking the look of the fireblade in race fairings....always thought those fake Headlights we first saw at the TT were pretty awesome. I assume you track it?

Craftsman
    Hi, I generally agree with what most have said and Direct Access is a good idea. However a word of caution, two friends have got into biking and when tests were passed went for "big" bikes with great reviews etc, neither of them had tried them, nor had they tried to move then about by their sheds/garages. The outcome of this was they were always a bit intimidated by them and progress was slow until they sold them, bought something a little smaller and lighter (GPZ500 and similar) their confidence improved greatly and they have now become safe and competent riders who now have their dream bikes. I should also say that I have been biking since 16 and was a RAC/ACU instructor back in the day and enjoy riding as much as ever at 68! Cheers, John B4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    I think BMW are doing great deals on their 310 range including riding kit and equipment and training.
    It was an astonishing deal when it first started, but it has got less brilliant over time

Initially, IIRC it was £99 down, then £99 a month for 2 years for which you got...

A GS310 on personal contract hire with Insurance

£1400 to spend on BMW clothing that you got to keep

1 week intensive training course including CBT and A2 test

1 week intensive training course and A test at the end of the 2 years so you were ready for a big bike

Amazing, but those benefits got eroded pretty quickly...

Now it's £650 down and £99 for 30 months, discount on insurance, a week's training and the CBT/A2 test and it's not entirely clear what the clothing deal is.

Master
    Liking the look of the fireblade in race fairings....always thought those fake Headlights we first saw at the TT were pretty awesome. I assume you track it?
    That's the plan, agreed to swap in the winter for my trusty 2005 600RR that I have done trackdays on for 8 years and just fancied a change. Got it from the same guy that built the 600 years ago and as we got into spring no one was buying his bikes due to lockdown so I was pleased to give him some business and also pleased with the result. The 600 was better than I will ever be, but looking forward to getting the blade on track. Oulton is my usual track, but got Croft booked in August and will see how it goes, its got a daytime MOT so I have been out a few times but its a bit brutal on the road.

600 Gone :

1000 Arrives !

Last edited by Bluetinfloor; 7th July 2020 at 08:47.

Master

Advanced training

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    One thing I would recommend is, having passed the test, to get some further training with IAM, ROSPA or whatever.
    ^ this is excellent advice.

My dream machine: a 2020 Yamaha Vmax 1679cc V-4 with earth-turning torque...only $17,999.00!

Master
    you will get a lot of pleasure from an older BMW - say an R80 - older BMW's are a joy to work on as well as ride

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    you will get a lot of pleasure from an older BMW - say an R80 - older BMW's are a joy to work on as well as ride
    Hmm, in my experience the brakes are bad and they do require fairly constant fettling to be kept in good form. Add to which they are not fast by modern standards

I would start with a more modern bike with decent brakes, possibly also ABS and TC if you are going to ride all year round

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Hmm, in my experience the brakes are bad and they do require fairly constant fettling to be kept in good form. Add to which they are not fast by modern standards

I would start with a more modern bike with decent brakes, possibly also ABS and TC if you are going to ride all year round

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have had quite a few BM's, never needed "constant fettling" - certainly fast enough for me, even a 1985 R80, brakes, never a problem - ABS was fine on my K1 and R1150GSA, but never felt I needed it

Does the OP want the fastest thing around?

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Does the OP want the fastest thing around?
    Not yet...

Master
    Not yet...
    The latest Africa Twin looks nice

but what more could you wish for

Last edited by BillN; 8th July 2020 at 22:17.

I did my DAS around 16yrs ago - and for more than a moment, considered a Honda SP2 as first bike.(WTF was I thinking!)

Ended up getting a BMW R1100s BoxerCup Replika - a bit of a big lump for a beginner too, but took to it.

Good luck with it all.