closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Walking footwear

Journeyman

Walking footwear

Wondering if there are any knowledgable and experienced people here who might help.

I've never had issues with footwear until I started doing fairly significant distances, perhaps I've become more discerning and demanding, perhaps I'm expecting too much.

Ofc fit and comfort is very individual but assuming that bit is covered does anyone have recommendations for hiking/walking shoes that will also cope with some occasional runnning that:

Don't fall apart after a couple of months
    Whose waterproof lining doesn't fail after a month
    Is available in different width fittings/accomodate a slighly wider than average foot
    A sole that will last reasonably (upper still fine but sole worn through)

To give an idea of some that I've used the last couple of years.

4-5 pairs Merrells generally good, though slightly too narrow for me. Waterproof lining always fails after a couple of months. Sole durability fairly impressive.
    1 pair Salomon, well made but too narrow, sole like paper. Lasted 8 weeks before sole was worn through.
    1 pair Altra's, current shoe. Zero drop which took some getting used to. Wide toe box is a revelation, fabulous. However they are lightweight and fairly flimsy. Also not waterproof. Borderline too lightweight in overall construction for some terrain I commonly walk.

I have some Altberg's for nasty conditions/more serious terrain.

Master
    Following... Merrels are a great fit for me but waterproof lining has gone on the latest pair and sole wear is very poor (in contrast to my last pair which had a Vibram sole). Think all Merrels are made in far east now and IMO are not the quality they once were.
    Last edited by craig1912; 1st July 2020 at 19:39.

I try to do 10,000 steps every day, and Salomon work well for me - I'm on my third pair in ten years, and find them very comfortable, and durable.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I was going to suggest Salomon until I saw your comment. At the very least I get 18mths out of a pair which is >3,000km before the soles are too far gone. My latest part though haven't been as good, great comfort but I don't like the soles which feel a little feel slippy in the wet but oddly, seem to be wearing more quickly than I would expect.

What sort of distances are you walking to get so little life out of a pair of shoes?

Walking footwear

What sort of distances are you doing?

I’ve always liked Salomon and I remember them lasting a reasonable amount, I’d say around 1000km is pretty good for shoes. These days I buy whatever’s on clearance because I figured it doesn’t matter whether I spend £20 or a £100 - it lasts the same on me. I also have a pair of Salomons for hiking but I only use they occasionally when going to the mountains.
    Ideally, I’d send you to the shop to try a few but I know it might be difficult now.
    I’d personally look at Salewa, Scarpa, Meindl... I also wouldn’t buy them without trying them on first...
    Good luck!

Edit: 1000km I mean for running shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I was going to suggest Salomon until I saw your comment. At the very least I get 18mths out of a pair which is >3,000km before the soles are too far gone. My latest part though haven't been as good, great comfort but I don't like the soles which feel a little feel slippy in the wet but oddly, seem to be wearing more quickly than I would expect.

What sort of distances are you walking to get so little life out of a pair of shoes?
    I still have the Salomons and agree they seem quite well made, with the exception of sole durability. They are too narrow though so even if the sole wasn't a problem I certainly wouldn't buy more.

A typical week is 60-70 miles, though can occasionally go 90+.

I've found asics shoes very comfortable, but too early to comment on how robust they are.

Master
    I recommend barefoot training - that will make you far less focussed on your footwear and far more focussed on how you use your feet.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    That’s a solid weekly mileage but even so, I’m surprised you’re wearing through soles. Have you checked your pronation and/ or is the wear even across the sole?
    Some of the La Sportiva trail shoes have serious soles but aren’t particularly subtle..
    Waterproof linings will, unfortunately, always give way sooner than you’d like. They’re usually closest to your foot so either wear through, or they get clogged with dirt and stop breathing. Either way, you get wet feet.
    I would have said some sort of approach shoe would be good, but they tend to not be good for running. So trail shoes might be best. Inov-8 might also be worth a look.

I also find my Salomons fail after about 8 months, either cracking or leaking or both.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I do approx 35-40 miles a week across 5 or 6 days and just buy the same trainers that I used to wear when I was running. At present I have a pair of New Balance Rubix. I always buy one size bigger to allow for foot expansion and 2e width (wide) and wear proper running socks. I buy two pairs a year and swop over every 6 months.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by brendano View Post
    I recommend barefoot training - that will make you far less focussed on your footwear and far more focussed on how you use your feet.
    I'd never heard of barefoot training but have done a little searching and found this:

Wide toe box to allow the toes to move/splay
    Very flexible sole allowing the foot to bend naturally
    Zero drop (heel is same height as the forefoot)
    Minimal to no cushion, forcing the feet to provide most shock absorption
    Little to no ankle support in the heel or upper of the shoe

My latest pruchase, Altra lone peak 4.5, seems to fulfill all this criteria and in many ways they are a revelation once I got used to them. Not quite there yet but the toe box in particular is fantastic. Unfortunately I've not been able to walk the last couple of days due to not paying enough attention to terrain. Wearing the Altra's I managed to step on 2 pointy stones at seemingly the exact same spot and am in quite a bit of pain, can't put any weight on my heel. This is why I said in the OP that they seem borderline for some of the terrain I commonly walk. Other than being generally a bit flimsy/lacking protection they are superb but no idea on durability yet.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    That’s a solid weekly mileage but even so, I’m surprised you’re wearing through soles. Have you checked your pronation and/ or is the wear even across the sole?
    Some of the La Sportiva trail shoes have serious soles but aren’t particularly subtle..
    Waterproof linings will, unfortunately, always give way sooner than you’d like. They’re usually closest to your foot so either wear through, or they get clogged with dirt and stop breathing. Either way, you get wet feet.
    I would have said some sort of approach shoe would be good, but they tend to not be good for running. So trail shoes might be best. Inov-8 might also be worth a look.

I also find my Salomons fail after about 8 months, either cracking or leaking or both.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Slightly supinated. I've no idea what to do about that though.

Inov-8 is one I've considered but have seen some less than solid results. An example here. https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/04/08...e-g-370-boots/ Though he does present a decent review on some other models. They also publish width sizing which is a plus. Pricey though and rarely discounted from what I've seen. Don't mind pricey, but expect decent results if paying £150.

Master
    The original post sounds very much like my own requirements for footwear and the Barefoot are interesting to hear about having read the odd review.

Personally for the 5-6 miles a day I am covering then Teva’s I am finding to be comfortable. I’m heavy on my footwear and don’t expect them to last more than 9 months to a year but the standard fit ones are wide, I wear altbergs widest size, and if you keep an eye out go outdoors often have them at a good price and hace frequent 15% off offers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Meindl have been my hiking footwear for years.

I was after something similar but kind of the other way round as I have various walking boots and a pair of walking shoes but needed a trainer that I could go for walks in.

I settled on these…

Adidas Rockadia Trail 3.0.

They're not waterproof but adidas do plenty of GTX trail runners in a similar style. They are superbly comfortable with wide toe box, good grip and lovely, spongey cushioning in the sole.

I have had a few pairs of the adidas hiking/walking trainers with goretex. They are very comfortable but the soles don't last very long at all and wear out before the rest of the shoes do

Craftsman
    Take a look at Danner Trail shoes. I've had a pair of 2650 for about 8 months now - the first time I've bought Danner. Really comfortable, lightweight, and available in different width fittings. Not cheap though, and too early to say how the sole will wear. Based purely on how comfortable they are I will definitely buy again in the future. Had Merrells previously which lasted really well (couple of years), but nowhere near as comfortable as the Danners.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I know you said shoes rather than boots, but I always like a bit of ankle support. If you like your Altbergs, how about another lightweight pair, like the yan tan, or if you don't need waterproof, the base trekking boot?

Quote Originally Posted by 33mgb View Post
    Take a look at Danner Trail shoes. I've had a pair of 2650 for about 8 months now - the first time I've bought Danner. Really comfortable, lightweight, and available in different width fittings. Not cheap though, and too early to say how the sole will wear. Based purely on how comfortable they are I will definitely buy again in the future. Had Merrells previously which lasted really well (couple of years), but nowhere near as comfortable as the Danners.

Great, another pair of shoes I don't need but will inevitably buy

They do look the business though. I'd never heard of them until now.

Journeyman

Have previously looked at those with interest but didn't think they were available in the UK. Any pointers?

Master
    Scarpa for serious stuff in the hills. For every day dog walking a pair of walking shoes/trainers from Decathlon - amazing value. Soles wear well, waterproofing is good and very comfortable.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I know you said shoes rather than boots, but I always like a bit of ankle support. If you like your Altbergs, how about another lightweight pair, like the yan tan, or if you don't need waterproof, the base trekking boot?
    Not sure I'd want to run 5 miles in those! I'm sure some people do, though.

My general aim is 3 pairs on the go. Proper walking boots for tougher terrain and winter. Waterproof and fairly tough shoes that will take most terrain and cover non winter but wet conditions. Lightweight non waterprrof summer easy trail shoes.

Existing Altbergs seem fine for the first. The Altra's are shaping up ok for the latter, assuming reasonably durable. The middle pair is the trickier. If the Merrell's had a wider fitting I could live with them.

Quite a few suggestions so far and some options I will try. Thanks to all. Ofc any other advice still welcome.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    Have previously looked at those with interest but didn't think they were available in the UK. Any pointers?
    I bought mine from the following;

www.outsidersstore.com

Store in London (Kings Cross), and one in Liverpool I think.

Craftsman

2nd Danner, have 2 pairs mountain pass and south rim

Also pair of scarpa crux equally as comfy

Blog Entries
    For longer walks I've found the Skechers range with Memory Foam ( insoles ) are excellent.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 3rd July 2020 at 08:16.

Master
    I use Adidas Terrex Swift Gortex version, very water proof, quite stiff soles and have asked me 4 years so far.

Master
    I don't know if Ecco do something that would meet your specific needs but their longevity is excellent ime.

Master
    Highly recommend these:

https://www.lowa.co.uk/shop/1-men/pr...enegade-gtx-lo

The are available in a variety of fits and supremely comfortable and supportive. As always good walking socks are essential.

Not sure I'd want to run 5 miles in those! I'm sure some people do, though.

My general aim is 3 pairs on the go. Proper walking boots for tougher terrain and winter. Waterproof and fairly tough shoes that will take most terrain and cover non winter but wet conditions. Lightweight non waterprrof summer easy trail shoes.

Existing Altbergs seem fine for the first. The Altra's are shaping up ok for the latter, assuming reasonably durable. The middle pair is the trickier. If the Merrell's had a wider fitting I could live with them.

Quite a few suggestions so far and some options I will try. Thanks to all. Ofc any other advice still welcome.
    Ah ok, yeah i wouldn't want to run in boots, but then i don't run anywhere, lol. You want trail running shoes, not walking shoes/boots.

Journeyman
    I bought mine from the following;

www.outsidersstore.com

Store in London (Kings Cross), and one in Liverpool I think.

Thanks. Don't have a size I need but bookmarked for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Highly recommend these

https://www.lowa.co.uk/shop/1-men/pr...enegade-gtx-lo

The are available in a variety of fits and supremely comfortable and supportive. As always good walking socks are essential.
    These look like a strong possible.

On the subject of socks I quite agree. Have some Falke which are decent and Darn tough which are amazing, including a lifetime guarantee/replacement. Highly recommended if anyone's interested. On the other end of the scale I picked up some running socks for throwaway price of something like a fiver for a 5 pack at Wiggle. 4 years on I'm just starting to get holes. Called "Higher State"

Master
    Blog Entries
    La sportiva TX4, great all rounder. strange Italian sizing though, like all footwear what works for one might not work for another. Also factor in decent socks.

Journeyman
    I don’t know too much specifically regarding walking shoes. However I do have wide feet at the toe and small at the ankle so have a hard time finding a shoe that fits.

I see a lot of talk around Adidas, personally I can’t wear them as they come up to thin, Solomon are owned by Adidas so chances are if the op can’t get into Solomon then Adidas will be a no no also.

I have had Marelles in the past and they did fit so would be on my list. But sounds like they are not what they once were. Nike have also fitted me well. I still have some acg Nike’s I bought 15 years ago that look good despite them being abused.

I second decathlon for quality/price. I have some very cheap waterproof walking shoes I use on my allotment. They have held up well. They are probably a little slim for my foot but are comfortable enough, but I would not want to walk all day in them. But OP it may be worth a look, and probably could get 3 pairs of the top range shoes for the same price as an mid range pair of Salamons

Hi WTRacer,

Danner are a new emeging brand that is slowly being taken up by a lot of retailers, due to their comfort etc (declared interest, i've just been made redundant after repping for an Outdoor Footwear brand for 13yrs).

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

I could possibly point to a store that you could go and try them on in. Whilst I think that it's great that so many people offer advice on their preferred footwear on here, it's a truly individual thing and the best brand of shoe/boot for you is the one that fits the best!

If you want any help, let me know

John

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    I don’t know too much specifically regarding walking shoes. However I do have wide feet at the toe and small at the ankle so have a hard time finding a shoe that fits.

I see a lot of talk around Adidas, personally I can’t wear them as they come up to thin, Solomon are owned by Adidas so chances are if the op can’t get into Solomon then Adidas will be a no no also.

I have had Marelles in the past and they did fit so would be on my list. But sounds like they are not what they once were. Nike have also fitted me well. I still have some acg Nike’s I bought 15 years ago that look good despite them being abused.

I second decathlon for quality/price. I have some very cheap waterproof walking shoes I use on my allotment. They have held up well. They are probably a little slim for my foot but are comfortable enough, but I would not want to walk all day in them. But OP it may be worth a look, and probably could get 3 pairs of the top range shoes for the same price as an mid range pair of Salamons
    Been considering Decathlon for a while and yours isn't the first recommendation. Will be trying some.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    Hi WTRacer,

Danner are a new emeging brand that is slowly being taken up by a lot of retailers, due to their comfort etc (declared interest, i've just been made redundant after repping for an Outdoor Footwear brand for 13yrs).

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

I could possibly point to a store that you could go and try them on in. Whilst I think that it's great that so many people offer advice on their preferred footwear on here, it's a truly individual thing and the best brand of shoe/boot for you is the one that fits the best!

If you want any help, let me know

John
    Thanks. Totally agree about the fit issue, which was why I was explicit about it in my OP. Even a perfect fit/comfort item could still be considered 'unfit for purpose' if they last me 8 weeks and this was the thrust of the thread, assuming I find an item fits and is comfy, what are others experiences with quality and durability etc.

Sorry about the job, hopefully one door closing another opens and all that.

Location wise, reasonably convenient would cover S Yorks/Leics/Derbys/Notts.

Master
    Blog Entries
    https://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.u...e-tropic-blue/

You can a few versions from boot, mid boot and non lined

Thanks. Totally agree about the fit issue, which was why I was explicit about it in my OP. Even a perfect fit/comfort item could still be considered 'unfit for purpose' if they last me 8 weeks and this was the thrust of the thread, assuming I find an item fits and is comfy, what are others experiences with quality and durability etc.

Sorry about the job, hopefully one door closing another opens and all that.

Location wise, reasonably convenient would cover S Yorks/Leics/Derbys/Notts.
    OK, from my experience here are my thoughts on some brands to have a look at

Lowa - Quite Wide fit and also they offer a wide fit on some models. Very sturdy. The Renegade is their best seller by a countey mile
    KEEN (my old brand) - Wide fit as a standard, lightweight but very supportive. They use a propriety waterproof membrane not Gore Tex and so, offer a 2 year waterproofing guarantee
    Scarpa - Some models can be a bit narrow, but overall a great fit. Very hard wearing boots (I walked to Everest Base camp in some, amazing) and also my 1st pair of walking boots were Scarpa Manta's,
    35years ago and I still use them for gardening etc
    Danner - Very cool brand, super soft materials used. Just not sure if they are more fashion/lifestyle than hardcore 'walkers'
    Salomon - Too narrow in my opinion and standards have declined massively in recent years
    Beghaus - These are Brasher's re-branded after Berghaus bought them out. Used to be very sucessful, but many have lost faith after the buy out
    The North Face - Don't Bother
    Hanwag, Mammut, Boreal - These could all be worth a look

I would try to find a really good independent outdoor retailer. The staff in the multiples (Cotswold, Go Outdoors, Ellis Brigham), just dont have the training and skills to give you a really good boot fit
    You could try Outside in Hathersage, they are all really good commited outdoors people and the staff know their stuff.

In terms og how long a boot/shoe's sole will last, that all depends on the type of terrain that you walk on. Outdoor footwear isn't designed with tarmac, concrete and other hard surfaces in mind, so they will wear quicker on those surfaces

Thanks for the wishes re the job. I've started putting feelers out and contacting recruiters, hopefully something good will come along

Good Luck with your footwear search, hope some of this helps

John

I wonder if the long dstance walking brief and the running criteria sort of put you in between 2 products.

I am on my 3rd pair of Grisport Exmoors. I walk every day(go for a decent walk each day after dinner) and I get about 2 to 3 years out of these. The fit is super on my feet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grisport-Me.../dp/B002IIEB16

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy9876 View Post
    OK, from my experience here are my thoughts on some brands to have a look at

Lowa - Quite Wide fit and also they offer a wide fit on some models. Very sturdy. The Renegade is their best seller by a countey mile
    KEEN (my old brand) - Wide fit as a standard, lightweight but very supportive. They use a propriety waterproof membrane not Gore Tex and so, offer a 2 year waterproofing guarantee
    Scarpa - Some models can be a bit narrow, but overall a great fit. Very hard wearing boots (I walked to Everest Base camp in some, amazing) and also my 1st pair of walking boots were Scarpa Manta's,
    35years ago and I still use them for gardening etc
    Danner - Very cool brand, super soft materials used. Just not sure if they are more fashion/lifestyle than hardcore 'walkers'
    Salomon - Too narrow in my opinion and standards have declined massively in recent years
    Beghaus - These are Brasher's re-branded after Berghaus bought them out. Used to be very sucessful, but many have lost faith after the buy out
    The North Face - Don't Bother
    Hanwag, Mammut, Boreal - These could all be worth a look

I would try to find a really good independent outdoor retailer. The staff in the multiples (Cotswold, Go Outdoors, Ellis Brigham), just dont have the training and skills to give you a really good boot fit
    You could try Outside in Hathersage, they are all really good commited outdoors people and the staff know their stuff.

In terms og how long a boot/shoe's sole will last, that all depends on the type of terrain that you walk on. Outdoor footwear isn't designed with tarmac, concrete and other hard surfaces in mind, so they will wear quicker on those surfaces

Thanks for the wishes re the job. I've started putting feelers out and contacting recruiters, hopefully something good will come along

Good Luck with your footwear search, hope some of this helps

John
    Many thanks, very helpful. Am aware of Outside at Hathersage, have used them previously and spoke with them prior to buying some Altbergs earlier this year. With hindisght I should have gone there rather than the place I eventually chose.
    Shame they don't seem to stock Lowa or Danner which are what I intend trying next. Might go over and try some Keens anyway, have heard good things about them.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I wonder if the long dstance walking brief and the running criteria sort of put you in between 2 products.

I am on my 3rd pair of Grisport Exmoors. I walk every day(go for a decent walk each day after dinner) and I get about 2 to 3 years out of these. The fit is super on my feet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grisport-Me.../dp/B002IIEB16
    No doubt it doesn't help, though the running bit is very variable so the brief is focussed around walking. Had a look at the link, no indication on width fitting and no half sizes means non starter for me. Thanks though.