closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Consolidate or not?

Consolidate or not?

Hi everyone,
    I’ve got a modest watch collection of 5 watches worth around £13 500 and I’m wondering what the best thing to do with it is i.e keep all 5 or consolidate to 1,2 or possibly 3 watches?

I’m looking at the Rolex GMT LN or BLNR which will obviously take a big chunk of the £13 500,also I’m not sure if the price of these models and similar models are on the way up still or if they are levelling off and coming down?

I know there is no right or wrong answer to this and that it’s ultimately my choice but I’m just interested in what other people would do themselves. Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I just recently reduced from 5 to 3 and I feel a lot happier (for the moment at least). I just felt that with 5, some only got worn very seldomly, and with 3 I actually wear all of my watches.

It works for me, but we are all different. I just realised I’m not really a ‘collector’... I have the BLNR and it’s become my daily - I have no idea how prices will develop, but I love it on my wrist even though I probably overpaid.... only time will tell!

Master
    Depending on the watches you currently own, if you put their value at 13.5k a ball park figure would be around, say, £6,750 on the used market, that's quite a bit short of the price of a BLNR. A big sacrifice IMHO, & one that I think you would regret a few months down the line. Just my 2p's worth.

I have consolidated this year selling off a watchbox full of watches and concentrating a few key pieces. It is certainly worth doing, but personally I wouldn't advise paying a high premium to secure one of the watches listed.

I suppose it depends what it is and how high the premium is. Paying £10k for a SD43 seems almost sensible, but people paying £14k-£15k for a GMT or £25k for a Daytona is complete madness. The older BLNR does seem to have come down in price in recent times and a fair few do get flipped on here. The GMT LN isn't one of the extremely hot watches, so you might do well on that.

It also depends what your long term goal is of course. I currently have two watches and aim to buy a third in the next year or two and then probably call it quits with a three watch collection. I am even learning to look at listings on SC without the urge to send a PM.

A few have tried consolidation in the past including myself and then after a period of time the collection starts to grow again. I am determined that it won't happen to me again this time.

If your collection is 13.5 you would have a decent chunk after the BLNR. On the assumption you're looking at the oyster model I think BLNR pricing is more competitive than the LN. The time to sell a BLNR was last summer. I have a friend who sold a BNIB privately for £12.5k. I probably should have sold mine then too.

If you're left with just the BLNR I wouldn't do it but if you're left with a decent duo I'd consider it and brush the bracelet like LTF. I think you'd be able to consolidate into a BLNR and a new Seamaster which would be a nice pairing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What is your current collection?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Depending on the watches you currently own, if you put their value at 13.5k a ball park figure would be around, say, £6,750 on the used market, that's quite a bit short of the price of a BLNR. A big sacrifice IMHO, & one that I think you would regret a few months down the line. Just my 2p's worth.
    The collection is worth 13.5k on the used market

Consolidate or not?

Explorer 2 black dial,datejust 36mm white dial,breitling avenger 2 seawolf,panda omega speedmaster,blue face Hamilton intra matic chrono
    Last edited by Rbains0708; 4th July 2020 at 13:47.

Master
    I reduced my watch collection by 20% and am currently increasing it by 25%, so in other words I’ve gone from 100% down to 80% and now heading back to 100%. I then realised that I didn’t actually include all my watches in my so called ‘collection’ so now I’ve realised that the hours, days and weeks spent on contemplating reducing them were a pointless exercise as the heart clearly overrules the head when it comes to this wis business. In other words don’t sweat it as whatever you do, you’ll undo and then do it again. Watch itches need to be scratched though so do it and worry about it another time.

Based on that collection I would keep the DJ or Exp II. It would probably be easier financially to keep the DJ.

Consolidate or not?

What are you looking to achieve?

There is a range covered in what you have.
    Are you feeling they’ (none of) are enough of a statement?
    I could think of Zero reasons to buy any new Rolex GMT model over the Explorer you have, other than this.

There’ are various dressy and tough in that collection, couple of chronos... all good.

What is your aim, first of all?

We can facilitate if you just want the Rolex, and need someone to tell you that’ is OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    What are you looking to achieve?

There is a range covered in what you have.
    Are you feeling they’ (none of) are enough of a statement?
    I could think of Zero reasons to buy any new Rolex GMT model over the Explorer you have, other than this.

There’ are various dressy and tough in that collection, couple of chronos... all good.

What is your aim, first of all?

We can facilitate if you just want the Rolex, and need someone to tell you that’ is OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see what you’re saying but my only reason to trade for an LN or BLNR is solely because I’ve always really liked them especially the BLNR. I’ve got a range of brands there so I like to think that shows I’m not just into Rolex and the attention it may or may not gain

Journeyman
    What do you currently wear the most? What’s the percentage split between each watch?

I think the Datejust and Explorer are a great two watch collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Last year i reduced my collection down to 2 expensive watches and just a few Casio's/Citizen's and the best thing i ever did.

Too much money tied up in watches i wasn't wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad14 View Post
    What do you currently wear the most? What’s the percentage split between each watch?

I think the Datejust and Explorer are a great two watch collection.

I wear the Rolexes the most followed by the breitling,occasionally the speed master. The Hamilton was a new purchase last week so I’m still in the honeymoon phase with that

Blog Entries
    I reduced from 6 to 3 now want to build my collection back up again. There's no winning in this game

Master
    Been through this over the past two years; down from fifteen good watches to one good mechanical, Rolex Yachtmaster 42, and a couple of pleasing quartz models.
    It all depends on your personality, if you’re a fierce collector, probably not worth bothering. But if you enjoy simplicity, it’s a delight.
    I’d never go back. And remember, you can own just one or two watches but then change them in due course without increasing numbers. Thanks SC, where many of the watches went.
    And including a decent quartz makes life easier.

Leave it for 3 months and then see how you feel. The urge to do that may well pass and you will be happy you kept what you have.

The grass always looks greener elsewhere but when you get there you discover actually it isn't.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    I wear the Rolexes the most followed by the breitling,occasionally the speed master. The Hamilton was a new purchase last week so I’m still in the honeymoon phase with that

I would put the others away for a month or so and keep the Rolexes out and see how you get on. If you find you miss the the others then you have answered your question.

If you don’t miss the others sell them plus the explorer and see how you get on with the GMT and the Datejust.

Ok those are good suggestions thanks everyone

Journeyman
    Xellos and Mad have hit the nail on the head. I was contemplating a purchase at the beginning of lock down, researched it and was adamant that I was buying. For the first time ever I then set a date, I said I will buy on the 1st July. In my mind it was a done deal. Half way through June I decided that actually, I didn’t want it at all and I was better off with what I had already. I’m going to do this from now on with major purchases as I have been very guilty of getting swept away in the moment.

I don't think now is a great time to buy a high value watch, personally.

If it was me, I'd hold for now.

That said, I have quite a lot of watches, some very cheap and most get worn now and then.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I would consolidate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Last year i reduced my collection down to 2 expensive watches and just a few Casio's/Citizen's and the best thing i ever did.

Too much money tied up in watches i wasn't wearing.
    I came to this realization this year so have just sold off 4 of my watches, leaving me with the 3 I actually wanted to wear. (I might even drop that down to 2) . . the others I would have to justify to myself why i would wear them that day - probably a good sign i shouldn't have bought them in the first place!