closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marks on dial - Seiko Tuna 'save the ocean'

Master

Marks on dial - Seiko Tuna 'save the ocean'

Took delivery of my new Seiko today and loving it, as Seiko can have issues with chapter ring alignment (and my OCD ) I had a good look at the dial.
    I was disappointed to see a very slight mark (straight line) going from the center to the 47 minute mark, on further inspection there is also one to the 5 minute mark. Strange I thought, so a quick Google of some other images and it appears that these 'marks' are probably on all of this model.

I was thinking they could be a reference to a time, compass bearings, something to do with the solar dial or maybe just a manufacturing flaw??
    Any ideas as I'm intrigued as to what they may be/represent?

Partially translucent dial, solar panels underneath.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Brilliant.

I had an issue with a Sony wide-screen CRT TV many years ago. 2 faint vertical lines were visible. Similar functional explanation to do with wires that ran behind the screen.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Nice one, thanks for that Papa Hotel

I'll have to look into the solar side of things for a bit more information.
    I have another similar Seiko solar which doesn't appear to have a translucent dial

Exactly the same marks on my SNE497P1 (black dial, bracelet) solar tuna. Just a feature of the construction rather than a fault as far as I know. Barely noticeable in most lights.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. I posted virtually exactly the same question as you OP a little while ago except I though they were cracks. Unfortunately I'd already returned the watch and I'd bought it at a crazy low sale price from h.samuels. I rang their customer services to cancel the return but they couldn't do it, gutted, but did have my money back at least.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. I posted virtually exactly the same question as you OP a little while ago except I though they were cracks. Unfortunately I'd already returned the watch and I'd bought it at a crazy low sale price from h.samuels. I rang their customer services to cancel the return but they couldn't do it, gutted, but did have my money back at least.
    Cheers, I'm definitely keeping as I don't see it as an issue was just a little intrigued.
    Shame about yours, which model was it? EJ, HS etc. all appear to have sales on at the moment, you may get lucky

Master
    I have similar marks on a Casio solar, but curiously my Street Series Seiko doesn't have them .. no real idea if my other umpteen solar watches have them as I don't have them close to hand and can't be bothered to go and check.

Maybe the dial itself is a big solar panel? And with the Save The Ocean design there has to be an overlay to provide the pattern.

Or something

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Cheers, I'm definitely keeping as I don't see it as an issue was just a little intrigued.
    Shame about yours, which model was it? EJ, HS etc. all appear to have sales on at the moment, you may get lucky
    The same model as yours. It wouldn't bother me either now that I know what the marks are. If my memory serves me correctly it came in at under £200 paying through topcashback, would like to match that again ideally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    The same model as yours. It wouldn't bother me either now that I know what the marks are. If my memory serves me correctly it came in at under £200 paying through topcashback, would like to match that again ideally.
    Showing as in stock at HSamuel again at £239, sure some savings can be had 10% for signing up for email etc.
    I'm well happy with mine for the ££'s

Master
    I saw this picture which seems to explain the 3 lines visible in some lights beneath the dial, shows clearly the Dairy Lea shaped triangles that make up the solar panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Showing as in stock at HSamuel again at £239, sure some savings can be had 10% for signing up for email etc.
    I'm well happy with mine for the ££'s
    That is a good price but I've already used my 10% sign up discount and could only get 1.7% topcashback as it is a sale item. Plus I've recently splurged on a Dagaz Typhoon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I saw this picture which seems to explain the 3 lines visible in some lights beneath the dial, shows clearly the Dairy Lea shaped triangles that make up the solar panel.

Thanks for that, I can just see a mark at the 24 minute marker too, so that makes perfect sense.
    This was a heads up/impulse buy and I think it's great, even though I have another Seiko solar I have never looked into the technology
    cheers

The many downsides of scrutinising watches too closely...