closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch face on the inside of the wrist?

Craftsman

Watch face on the inside of the wrist?

So I’m watching John Wick and note he has his watch face on the inside of the wrist, which makes sense given his Dante-esque plot lines.

I was wondering if anyone else did it and why?

Maybe Rolex can start offering a fluted clasp with cyclops to aid brand recognition..

Master
    Remember a teacher who wore his watch like that. Didn’t understand it then and I don’t I understand it now!

Master
    Always seemed to be a military/special forces thing to me. Oh and wannabe military types too.

Only people I’ve ever seen do it are old guys, I’ve never understood it

Journeyman
    It's a WW1 thing I believe - watch crystals then were Crown glass so relatively fragile,
    less likely to get knocked when worn inside.

Blog Entries
    Sorry but...........

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My grandfather (born 1916) wore his watch on the inside of his wrist. He was a minister and inside the wrist allowed him to check the time discretely during a sermon.

Master
    My grandfather wore his this way, on an expanding bracelet some way up his wrist. Those bracelets really pinch too (I have one of his old watches). I assumed it was to avoid damage when doing practical jobs about the house and garden.

I have this watch with an offset dial. It works well worn inside the wrist when driving, especially if your hands are lower on the steering wheel as people used to do.

This one was put together by someone, probably in the late 40s, but there are plenty of offset-dial ‘driving watches’ around.

My father will be 68 this year and he’s always wore the watch on the inside of his wrist,i never understood why until he told me it’s so he could check the time more discreetly during meetings at work years ago

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    In a militay context is it not so that you can easily check the time when holding a weapon?

Master
    I've worn watches on the inside of my wrist for a number of reasons, namely:

Easier to check the time surreptitiously.
    To avoid the crown rubbing on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacamack View Post
    In a militay context is it not so that you can easily check the time when holding a weapon?
    I understood that is because it is less likely to reflect light towards the enemy.

My dad always wore his watch this way when he was working as a marine engineer. Working in the engine room of a submarine, heat, sweat and slipping spanner’s wasn’t the best combo in combined spaces and he didn’t want to smash his watch crystal.

I have seen this many many times. They were mostly old ladies who did this

Master
    Was just about to post exact same memory!
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Remember a teacher who wore his watch like that. Didn’t understand it then and I don’t I understand it now!
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It's often worn on the inside of the wrist when attending meetings or being in the public eye. It is much easier to read the time much more discretely without it looking like you are clock watching.

My father also used to wear them that way, although it didn't seem to stop them getting bashed up.

I tried it many years ago with a Pulsar diver I owned at the time. Two large knocks and a bezel scuff later (within about 3 hours) and the watch was firmly back where it belonged.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I've worn watches on the inside of my wrist for a number of reasons, namely:

Easier to check the time surreptitiously.
    To avoid the crown rubbing on my wrist.
    Is the crown because you wear it on you right wrist? Maybe it's a leftie thing

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I tried it many years ago with a Pulsar diver I owned at the time. Two large knocks and a bezel scuff later (within about 3 hours) and the watch was firmly back where it belonged.
    Yeah it might help submariners, but must be the worse thing for working at a desk!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The same here. I tried to wear like that when i was a teenager until one day I had to fix my bike- smashed crystal and never again.

Used to do it when playing cricket in school.

[Not so middle-class as it might sound, as it was a sink "comprehensive" (how they must have laughed when they came up with that one!), so the curriculum was pretty much 50 / 50 sport and basket-weaving... ]

A work colleague wears his Explorer II like that - only watch, and worn everyday for probably around 20 years.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    easier to do on older vintage watches but less so with the big lumps we (i) wear today.
    Was to time check when driving, and also in military to avoid reflection/lume light. My grandfather was ex navy and always had his on the inside. Think its generational.

Master
    You can also check the time whilst holding an x-box controller playing "Call of Duty".

Blog Entries
    I used to wear my watch on the inside of my wrist when a student. Useful for a quick look while at a boring seminar or 1:1 tutorial. Also, if I turned my wrist to check the time when holding a pint it was the OTHER guy who got it down their front - at least that was my excuse.

Now I am much more sober (not).

I think the Omega X-33 (MK1 and 2) are designed for a quick glance while flying a Space Shuttle
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st July 2020 at 20:19.

When I first started wearing a watch, about age 14, I wore it that way round as my dad told me it was best so it didn’t get knocked, he was in the RAF and always wore his like that. Did it for a couple years until I realised I was the only one in my group of friends who did so.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In the prone position at least while firing a long barrel rifle it will get in the way of the stock if worn LH..

when presenting arms you are going to destroy your watch with the final movement (though I expect with an SA80 it may be different).

not quite how we did it but certainly with a lot of flourish.

Blog Entries
    Or so people know you were in the military.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Or so people know you were in the military.
    Another BP type dig, is it any wonder you get a lot of stick.

My dad always wore his watch like this. I always assumed it was just less likely to get damaged that way. He was a plumber and hardly what you’d call gentle with a hammer, blow torch or spanner.

Thinking about it though, my uncle, his older brother, was ex Merchant Navy and always wore his like this too.

Who knows, it might just be a family tradition that isn’t being carried forward with me! Like the plumbing and seafarer stuff....

We should have guessed John Towers, who infamously relieved BMW of the Rover Group for a tenner, was an absolute bounder, when he was photographed not only wearing his watch the wrong way round, but the wrong way round on the wrong wrist.

I don't know about generational but it was and maybe still is a military thing. My father used to, and sometimes still does, wear his watch on the inside of his wrist, in his case to avoid bashing the watch on the side of the cockpit.
    I think it was also so with some drivers as it is easier to check the time without taking your hand off the wheel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    It works well worn inside the wrist when driving, especially if your hands are lower on the steering wheel as people used to do.
    My grandfather always wore his on the inside for this reason.

Lume - Snipers- etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Was just about to post exact same memory!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Another one for the teacher who did this memory!!

Master
    If I'm wearing a GPS watch that doesn't show time of day on my left wrist while cycling, I sometimes wear a small Casio on the right wrist, turned inward.

A mature student I was at university with used to wear his watch on the inside of the wrist. He told me that he'd got used to wearing a watch like that as a shipbuilder, to protect it from being clattered by tools and metal surfaces.

I really don’t understand the premise that wearing a watch on the inside of ones wrist protects the face from damage. Personally I am much more likely to get scratches on a buckle or deployant than on a bezel or crystal...

Simon

I recall that whilst at secondary school a few of us did it for a while after seeing someone in a film so it. Cant recall the film - something like Where Eagles Dare.

It felt ackward and strange. A couple of weeks later and we were back to normal.

In general use I really cant see how there is much of a benefit as regards protection from damage.

In relation to checking the time unobtrusively then I'm not sure that it offers that much of an advantage.

In conclusion - I think that it is a silly thing.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    As soon a you put your arms on a chair it doesn’t make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Or using a computer on a desk.

Lots of similar threads in the past have discussed this before as well. Perhaps it's making a comeback from how the operators wear their watches in call of duty? Although my local parish priest wears his watch like this too. Might ask him if he plays COD.

Reading this thread on phone whilst on the throne it makes perfect sense.

I think old fashioned 'discreet' versus the modern 'ostentatiousness' i.e. "look at my watch everyone!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I think old fashioned 'discreet' versus the modern 'ostentatiousness' i.e. "look at my watch everyone!"
    Probably not the best audience for that sentiment :)

Therapists sometimes wear their watch this way so that they can discreetly glance at the time without doing the very obvious lift arm up, turn it towards themself, look at the watch, move and distracting the client.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Resting elbow on a chair reading it does.

Either way will be best some of the time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Therapists sometimes wear their watch this way so that they can discreetly glance at the time without doing the very obvious lift arm up, turn it towards themself, look at the watch, move and distracting the client.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
    This is probably the reason for wearing it this way. It can't be the all day wearing position.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

My father always wore it that way, as apparently it meant he didn't have to let go of the controls of his bi-plane,

I wear mine on the outside as I don't have a bi-plane.

Watch face on the inside of the wrist?

Last edited by Kingstepper; 4th July 2020 at 22:29.