closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Iconic Watches

Craftsman

Iconic Watches

This article popped up on my Facebook feed and I’m always interested to see what they say. Not sure I totally agree with all of the choices but can’t really argue with a few others.

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com...ampaign=buffer

Master
    I think it depends on your perspective, to a Wis the absence of certain brands such as Moser U Nardin & of course our own Boss’s Smiths seems odd. But for the average person in the street its 10 nice watches , and I have to confess I would be happy with any one of them.

Thanks for posting

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I think it depends on your perspective, to a Wis the absence of certain brands such as Moser U Nardin & of course our own Boss’s Smiths seems odd. But for the average person in the street its 10 nice watches , and I have to confess I would be happy with any one of them.

Thanks for posting

Steve
    As you say different folk will have a different perspective. Before I clicked on the article I listed 9 watches (couldn’t readily think of a 10th that I thought fitted the accepted definition of Iconic).

I got 8. The one missing from my list was a Cartier Tank. I didn’t include the IWC or the VC.

As the owner of a Moser I don’t view any of the models as yet fitting what I regard as the definition of Iconic.

If I was given the 10 on the list, I would likely keep 5 and sell 5. With part of the proceeds used to buy another Moser.

Some lovely watches but in terms of Iconic status I can't see how a RoyalOak or Lange 1 are 'iconic'. They are great watches but I don't think have icon status.

Ironically the most iconic watch of all is missing. Where the heck is the Speedy Pro?!!?

Master
    Asking anyone to list the worlds top ten most iconic watches is a bit of a poison chalice, every list is open to criticism and also favouritism can play a part, sorry but no way in a million years is any Smiths watch iconic.

I agree that the Omega Speedmaster should have been included as that one is one of the all time greats.

Master
    There is also a link to what they consider to be the best watches under £1k as an investment

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com...th-investment/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Some lovely watches but in terms of Iconic status I can't see how a RoyalOak or Lange 1 are 'iconic'. They are great watches but I don't think have icon status.

Ironically the most iconic watch of all is missing. Where the heck is the Speedy Pro?!!?
    The title should definitely have been, ‘Ten random watches I saw in a shop’. I guess they’re looking at current watches, and don’t want more than one per brand, or the Datejust and Explorer would knock a couple of those off, and the Speedy is certainly the more iconic Omega. I do think that the Royal Oak very much does deserve a spot on the list though, it’s the definitive sports watch and the invention of stainless steel as luxury - instantly recognisable and about as iconic as you can get.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    There is also a link to what they consider to be the best watches under £1k as an investment

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com...th-investment/
    Just saw this and nearly spat out my coffee. A Frederique Constant as an investment?! Who writes this stuff?

Surely the definition of iconic –*famous or popular – would require a Seiko SKX or some such to be in there? There must be millions of them on people's wrists right now.

Master
    Hopeless task, for obvious reasons; but I was glad to see the IWC Portugeiser , which rarely features on TZ these days. To my eyes,it is one of the classics.

Journeyman
    No speedy Pro, no SKX and no G shock not much of a list, just picking high end pieces is to easy

Scottie

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    No speedy Pro, no SKX and no G shock not much of a list, just picking high end pieces is to easy

Scottie
    I think it’s an interesting list to make but they definitely seems to have aimed at “luxury” first and foremost. I’d definitely have the skx in there and the Speedy Pro. Arguably the F-91 deserves a mention as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    I’d definitely have the skx in there and the Speedy Pro. Arguably the F-91 deserves a mention as well....
    Not sure the SKX is truly iconic (or G-Shocks, but that may be a personal thing, I don't like them ), but the Speedmaster and F-91W probably are.

A few very similar looking expensive dress watches in the list - I'm not sure EXACTLY what makes a watch 'iconic', but to me it has to be pretty unmistakable at a glance, they aren't.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Those lists are always stupid .

I would think you can't get a more iconic watch than a Speedy Pro.
    Cheers,
    Neil.