closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old coins

Craftsman

Old coins

I know these types of posts crop up every now and again and they always seem to produce very interesting results so I thought I would try here before doing some serious reading.

My wife produced these coins from an old tin she inherited from her late grandfather the other day and she has tasked me with finding out a bit more about them b.

1 foreign from 1836 and 2 British from 1806 and 1707 respectively!

No idea where to start with regards checking authenticity and value, does anyone have any ideas?

Old coins

Here’s the Russian 5 Kopek with values in USD:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/...0-duid-1539214

It looks like you have a lower grade coin, but it’s hard to tell from the photo. There are similar examples on eBay for comparison.
    Last edited by williemays; 1st July 2020 at 05:07.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Here’s the Russian 5 Kopek with values in USD:

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/...0-duid-1539214

It looks like you have a lower grade coin, but it’s hard to tell from the photo. There are similar examples on eBay for comparison.
    Magic thanks. I didn’t even know it was Russian!!!

I love old coins. My dad got me interested in them, and he learned from his grandad.

I might have a Russian Kopek coin. I’ll have to check and see...

Craftsman
    The British ones both look like pennies, the right hand one definitely Known as a cartwheel penny, neither worth a great deal really. If you want to get into old coins you'd have to go a long way to beat the Spinks coins of England books, but a link to be getting on with https://www.allcoinvalues.com/united...11-leaves.html
    Last edited by FULL TIMER; 3rd July 2020 at 01:44.

I found some similar coins from my boyhood collection. I do not think these are particularly rare or valuable, but they are fun to have. I would enjoy seeing other examples, if anyone else is interested in sharing here.

5 Kopeks, 1882, Saint Petersburg
    One Penny, 1908, Great Britain
    Half Crown, 1920, Great Britain

My Gran was a big fan of collecting old English coins. I think she had read a rather fanciful article in the Daily Mail about how some were worth thousands - except she missed the bit about them having to be in uncirculated condition. After her death I was left a big heavy box - in it were were lots of dirty coins in bits of paper marked £XXX/XXXX, with a coin valuation book I went through everything and because of the condition the most anything was worth was a couple of quid. I did smile at her optimistic attitude though..

Master
    seeing this thread reminded me i have this,it was a metal detecting find.if my reseach at the time was accurate,its an edward [1st?] silver farthing from the london mint 1279 to 1302.strangely enough when it came out of the ground it was a dull silver colour but has tarnished since.for idea of size its smaller then a little finger nail,.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 7th July 2020 at 09:05.

Being a detectorist I have hundreds of old coins but Hammered medieval and Roman coins always get the blood flowing when you find them, amazing to think the last person to touch it was hundreds/thousands of years ago!