closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports car conundrum - What to get for £9k

Craftsman

Sports car conundrum - What to get for £9k

Hi All,

I know there are some proper petrol heads on here so thought put this out there. I currently drive a '10 plate TTS, and while perhaps not the last word (or even first!) in driver engagement I've really enjoyed my ownership of it, it's been a fantastic, sure footed companion and has given me relatively little hassle, and I've had 2 excellent road trips in it to boot (Normandy and the NC500).

I do however find myself wanting something a bit more interesting on the driving front, ideally something with a bit more of an engine (preferably 6+ cylinders, although I'm not too fussed on it being more powerful/faster than the TTS). To be fussy, I'd also prefer a hardtop as it'd be used daily (well, whatever that is in sort-of-sort-of-not-lockdown) and I don't particularly like the idea of a soft top for this - I've access to an S2000 and find it cramped and claustrophobic with the roof up. Kinda rules out a Boxster, I'm afraid.

I'm currently looking at a Z4 3.0 SI coupe as I like the appeal of the looks, engine and rear drive layout but can't help wonder if it's a smart move, my budget will just about get me into a nice example with some change for any problems to be addressed, although likely slightly more leggy than my current car. That said, the residuals on the coupes appear pretty solid, certainly should loose less money on one of those compared to the TT.

Other than a 350/370Z (although I'm not enamoured with the dash) I'm not sure what else to look at... Any suggestions?

Thanks on advance

Your Z4 immediately jumped to mind, scores on the engine but not sure if rated for overall appeal?

Less power but universally praised for fun... the Toyota GT86 or Subaru BRZ (not sure if in budget though).

If you can, reconsider the Boxster!

Failing that, what about a Jaguar XK? The Z4 is a great choice too.

335i petrol coupe manual...over 300 bhp...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

If you dont mind getting a much older car Maserati made alot of 400bhp 4.2L beasts. 0-60 in about 5 seconds

135i coupe, same engine, same 300 bhp +

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post

I have a hardtop for my Boxster, which works very well imo. But I’m thinking my next Porsche will be a 718 Cayman
    It's just a matter of time...

Give some serious thought to selling things, anything, getting to £11k and buy a Cayman, you’ll never look back if you want driver engagement....

Is it too late to suggest an MX-5?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Your Z4 immediately jumped to mind, scores on the engine but not sure if rated for overall appeal?

Less power but universally praised for fun... the Toyota GT86 or Subaru BRZ (not sure if in budget though).
    I really do like the GT86's, but I'd be stretching my budget for one looking at Autotrader and I'd rather not be scrapping around the bottom of the market. Plus isn't there a rather large recall on the early ones? I know it'd be no cost to get it done, but not overly confidence inspiring!

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post

Ha, honestly I'd love to try a boxster but I really don't want to softop all through winter. Call me a big softie!! If onlt decent caymans were in budget.

I've looked at XKs and actually really tempted to look at one, although I think they'd be way more expensive to run (and at 25, not sure it sends the right impression rocking up to work in a Jag!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    335i petrol coupe manual...over 300 bhp...

Thanks for the suggestion! Hadn't thought of those. I'll have a trawl on PH/Autotrader.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    If you dont mind getting a much older car Maserati made alot of 400bhp 4.2L beasts. 0-60 in about 5 seconds
    Sounds financially ruinous! I think that falls into the same catercory as Jaaaag on the works car park front too!

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    135i coupe, same engine, same 300 bhp +

I do like the look of the 1 series coupes, off to autotrader I think!

Master
    I’ve had 2 x Z4 coupes, in fact i purchased it back from the person I sold it to. It remains the most fun car & the most stunning for the price I’ve ever had, the sort you look back at whenever you have parked up.

Since then I had Z4M, M3 E46, 3 x JCWs, M4 and a 991 cayman GTS. However from the right balance of fun without stupid speed to enjoy, or cost, this will always hold a
    Soft spot for me, the coupe was perfect!

I had a Z4M and found it slightly annoying ... little niggles that just added up ... the ridiculous placement of the battery for example and the daft screen in the dash (especially when it went wrong!).

Obviously the battery placement is only an issue for the M and with a bit of hunting you could find one without the screen in the dash.

I’d be looking at a 135i or Boxster or Cayman.

How about something a bit older like a 300ZX, Supra or GTO?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Is it too late to suggest an MX-5?
    Since it's the only proper sports car anyone's mentioned so far (the rest are all rather, well, lardy!)...
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Since it's the only proper sports car anyone's mentioned so far (the rest are all rather, well, lardy!)...
    A Boxster is the quintessential sports car.

I had a Z4 coupe too, would definitely suggest trying one out if you can

Engine is great - not stupidly fast but plenty enough for lots of good fun, handled nicely too

Loved loved loved the look of 80% of it, sadly the front did nothing for me though!

Living in London I got the auto, would def get the manual otherwise

I also was adamant I needed one with Sat Nav, awful mistake - not only is the system Itself pretty useless, as mentioned above the screen unit is comically dated and drags the whole interior down, the ones without Nav have an infinitely better timeless look to the cabin

Then also - squeaks and rattles, they’re everywhere (or at least were in mine), get prepared to hunt them all down!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’ve had 2 x Z4 coupes, in fact i purchased it back from the person I sold it to. It remains the most fun car & the most stunning for the price I’ve ever had, the sort you look back at whenever you have parked up.

Since then I had Z4M, M3 E46, 3 x JCWs, M4 and a 991 cayman GTS. However from the right balance of fun without stupid speed to enjoy, or cost, this will always hold a
    Soft spot for me, the coupe was perfect!

That’s the combo I wish I went for, colour and CSLs - perfect!!

Honda Type R, bullet proof engine, fast and solid car.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Civic, Integra or other?

The Honda is a great idea.

If purchase price is so important. OP remember the more expensive the new price of the car, the bigger the maintenance/service costs

Journeyman
    If you have never driven a boxster test drive one before you decide. Given your criteria I would definitely get one.

VX220 is within budget

So not exactly a "sports car" more of gt to be honest but what about an early 00's SL. Good looking probably just as much fun 90% of the time as anything else on this list.

Downsides.
    Will be thirsty, will probably be expensive to maintain and one issue with the hardtop will probably kill it.
    BUT should have enough toys and be reliable enough as anything else in that bracket

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Not sure I would categorise them as sports cars. Hot-hatches, yes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    How about something a bit older like a 300ZX, Supra or GTO?
    Wont get a good one for £9k

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan-arch View Post
    So not exactly a "sports car" more of gt to be honest but what about an early 00's SL. Good looking probably just as much fun 90% of the time as anything else on this list.

Downsides.
    Will be thirsty, will probably be expensive to maintain and one issue with the hardtop will probably kill it.
    BUT should have enough toys and be reliable enough as anything else in that bracket
    R230 SL is a lovely, but highly complex car. However, it is touring rather than sports orientated. Potential big bills with suspension, braking system and roof too (the seals are prone to letting water into the boot and swamping the control modules for central locking and roof). Lovely to drive though, and the leak issues just require fettling to sort.

Boxster is relatively simple, and much more fun to drive. Cheaper repairs too in general. Soft top is far better than those of old; the car is cosy and quiet in winter.

I’ve had 2 of both....and returned to Boxster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have owned 3 boxsters in my time and each was exemplary, fantastic to drive, relatively easy in the fuel, and surprisingly practical. Good size "boot" at the front of the vehicle.
    For driver engagement I would rate the Cayman more highly (I had one for a few months as a loan car after a RTC), the turn in was razor sharp, and even more practical to own. In your budget you will only get an older 6 cylinder car, which is good as the 4 cylinder engine has ruined it IMHO.
    I would still be in a boxster but 3 young children forced me down the SUV route into a Macan.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    I love the Z4 3.0 Coupe. I have the auto, which is can be smooth, effortless and refined on long hauls or lively when you want. It’s not insanely fast, in everyday driving it’s just nice to have plenty of smooth torque without having to rev it. But hit the sport button or play with the paddles or bounce it into the sportier map on the way into a corner and it’s easily fast enough to enjoy. It’s been described as a mini grand tourer and that fits well, it’s an easy to live with sporty all-rounder.

Ideally get the black wood trim on the dash which looks very classy, and change the run flat tyres immediately, which kill the handling - it’s a real handful on the wrong tyres but great on the right ones. That said, the steering doesn’t have the go kart immediacy of a first gen MX5, and the handling isn’t as sweet as something mid-engined like a Cayman, which also sounds better, but it’s a good saving over a decent one of those and you’ll still have a smile on your face after every drive. Arguably a future classic so pretty good for keeping value, at least until all petrol cars are regulated off the road. Niggles? The larger rim versions are pretty brutal and will have you tip toeing over speed bumps, and it seems to eat batteries if not driven for a week or two. I don’t know if that’s just mine, but from what I can tell that’s pretty common, though a lot of cars these days don’t seem to work without a trickle charger. Part of me still fancies the Cayman, but it certainly feels special, and it’s a bit different too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Not sure I would categorise them as sports cars. Hot-hatches, yes.
    NSX? But way over budget.

OP, do want a soft top? Remember to factor in the boot space disappearing in most when the roof is down, why we still have our S2000.

Master
    Given what you say then the Cayman has to be a serious consideration, although I think the interior of the Mk3 TT is a much better place to be unless the engine note and handling are paramount.
    As soft tops go I found the TT to be the best overall package.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    A Boxster is the quintessential sports car.
    I had one at the same time as my first MX-5 and sold the Boxster. An excellent car if you want a lot of grip and comfort but compared to the MX-5 it was hopeless. I found it only became interesting above about 100mph, by which I mean in corners, not in a straight line. I can't think of any car journalists who've owned Boxsters but lots who've owned - or still own - MX-5s. You can drive an MX-5 at 9/10ths most of the time and have a huge amount of fun doing so but not so a Boxster. Depends how you get your kicks though and what you want the car for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    When I got rid of my garage toy a TT Roadster it was a fair few years ago, I changed it for a Z4 3.0 Si great car really engaging to drive, and that engine was so sweet with a exhaust mod I had it sounding fantastic.

I currently own 3 of the cars suggested (335i, MX-5 and GT86) and have had some of the others (including a Z4) in the past.

The most fun to drive, by far, is the Toyota GT86. It doesn't have the brute force push-in-the-back of some cars, but it more than makes up for it with an engine and chassis that are perfect for each other.

Yes, there was a valve spring recall, but most UK cars will have had it done by now (and, if not, you effectively get a major service for free as part of the recall). Although they may be a bit outside your budget, I'd encourage you to at least take one for a test drive before making a decision.

I had one at the same time as my first MX-5 and sold the Boxster. An excellent car if you want a lot of grip and comfort but compared to the MX-5 it was hopeless. I found it only became interesting above about 100mph, by which I mean in corners, not in a straight line. I can't think of any car journalists who've owned Boxsters but lots who've owned - or still own - MX-5s. You can drive an MX-5 at 9/10ths most of the time and have a huge amount of fun doing so but not so a Boxster. Depends how you get your kicks though and what you want the car for.
    https://youtu.be/36whvegFIqg

They genuinely aren't a patch on the MR2 roadster.

The journalists point isn't relevant imo. Catchpole for example, runs a cheap Clio. Why spend much when you have manufacturers lending you serious metal on a weekly basis?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Given what you say then the Cayman has to be a serious consideration...
    Significantly over budget though, surely?

The point on performance accessiblity is a good one, though.

I've got a Golf R Estate and it's far too fast to really use the performance on the road and it's not enough fun to take to a trackday even if I was interested (I was watching a video on an F40 earlier and the owner stated that a Golf R would 'have it up to 4000RPM!' and then went on to say a 'Range Rover would!') - If it didn't suit my other requirements (space, comfort, economical) so well I'd have got rid of it (I nearly did, but with lockdown in force, looking for a different car wasn't really practical).

I'm not suggesting it as an alternative to a Boxster or a Z4 coupe (I'd be tempted to the latter, to be honest), but BHP tends to be a bit of a Tops Trumps game, my 230BHP RX-8 was far more enjoyable to drive.

If you feel brave an RX8 would leave you about £8500 change for engine rebuilds! (Oil usage wasn't that much on mine and while fuel consumption is pretty ruinous, I don't think it's much worse than many others mentioned!)

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Have you considered a V6 SLK? More a gt than sports car, but in my opinion a cracking all rounder.

I love 'em and I'm on my 7th one now, an amg 55 auto which is over budget but the late r171 350 is well within your price range and has the folding hard top over 300bhp and 30 mpg on a run.

Most are auto but there are a few manual ones out there if you look hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    https://youtu.be/36whvegFIqg

They genuinely aren't a patch on the MR2 roadster.

The journalists point isn't relevant imo. Catchpole for example, runs a cheap Clio. Why spend much when you have manufacturers lending you serious metal on a weekly basis?
    Boxsters or MX-5s? I wasn't that bothered by the MR2 I'm afraid.

Most of the car journalists I know don't get lent serious metal on a weekly basis, and often the metal they are lent is seriously heavy. Very few true sports cars around at the moment. But when car journalists do buy cars, they tend to be something special. Or very crap. But no Boxsters.

Master
    Very few true sports cars around at the moment.
    They covered the roads with speed bumps, so everyone bought off road vehicles! I hope we see some decent electric sports cars in future. But I digress...

Master
    We looked the Toyota/Subaru 86 coupe and she thought the interior rather low rent, hard plastic etc, but lots of fun when on decent tyres.

As someone who’s been through some sports cars in recent years, here’s how it went for me. Bought an NB MX5 1.8VT-Sport around 13 years ago, loved it and kept it 9 years, replaced it with a 986 2.7 Boxster, loved it but didn’t keep it long, replaced Boxster with an E89 Z4, a lovely GT car but never felt like an involving drive/proper sports car, bought an ND MX5 2.0 Sport Nav. Sublime, pretty much all the Sports car you’ll ever need, or brave finding a nice Boxster. The MX5 might be a bit tight at 6’2”, the Boxster even with the canvas roof felt spacious and very refined and the drive was superb.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I currently own 3 of the cars suggested (335i, MX-5 and GT86) and have had some of the others (including a Z4) in the past.

The most fun to drive, by far, is the Toyota GT86. It doesn't have the brute force push-in-the-back of some cars, but it more than makes up for it with an engine and chassis that are perfect for each other.

Yes, there was a valve spring recall, but most UK cars will have had it done by now (and, if not, you effectively get a major service for free as part of the recall). Although they may be a bit outside your budget, I'd encourage you to at least take one for a test drive before making a decision.
    I've has an MX5, S2000, several Z4s and currently have an GT86 - the GT86 is the best to drive and surprisingly comfortable. I am sure one would meet your needs if you can find one for your budget.

The MX5 was also very nice to drive, the S2000 was great, but tail-happy and cramped. The Z4s all needed the AA/RAC at some point (flat batteries/jammed hood) - my wife loved them but I wasn't a fan (though the Z4 coupe previously mentioned is a lovely looking car with the advantage that the roof wouldn't squeak like all my soft tops did!)

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the replies, some real food for thought! The comment about not real sports cars made me chuckle, perhaps quite correct but then again 'slightly lardy quasi sports car come sorta GT conundrum" doesn't have the same ring to the title, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    I had a Z4 coupe too, would definitely suggest trying one out if you can

Engine is great - not stupidly fast but plenty enough for lots of good fun, handled nicely too

Loved loved loved the look of 80% of it, sadly the front did nothing for me though!

Living in London I got the auto, would def get the manual otherwise

I also was adamant I needed one with Sat Nav, awful mistake - not only is the system Itself pretty useless, as mentioned above the screen unit is comically dated and drags the whole interior down, the ones without Nav have an infinitely better timeless look to the cabin

Then also - squeaks and rattles, they’re everywhere (or at least were in mine), get prepared to hunt them all down!
    Thanks, oddly I agree on the front, looks sorta undefined? I don't know. Certainly a very good looking car from pretty much every other angle, though. I agree on the satnav, wonder if a delete is possible. Dash tops must be pretty cheap from a scrapper...

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Since then I had Z4M, M3 E46, 3 x JCWs, M4 and a 991 cayman GTS. However from the right balance of fun without stupid speed to enjoy, or cost, this will always hold a Soft spot for me, the coupe was perfect!
    Thanks, they do look good in grey. Which minis did you have? The r53's look tempting, and surely the JCW will be (if not already) a modern classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    NSX? But way over budget.

OP, do want a soft top? Remember to factor in the boot space disappearing in most when the roof is down, why we still have our S2000.
    I'd prefer it to be a hardtop, I have use of an S2000 on nice days in the summer so that's the droptop fix.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Given what you say then the Cayman has to be a serious consideration, although I think the interior of the Mk3 TT is a much better place to be unless the engine note and handling are paramount.
    As soft tops go I found the TT to be the best overall package.
    I've seriously considered a Cayman, but as someone else rightly points out they're slightly over budget and again that would not put me in a good one... I'd rather wait a few years for some of the 'newer' (read, post IMS fix) ones to fall in value a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

Thanks. My neighbour had one and raved about it too (the GT86). I think I'll have to have a drive in one if I can find one local enough.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The point on performance accessiblity is a good one, though.

I've got a Golf R Estate and it's far too fast to really use the performance on the road and it's not enough fun to take to a trackday even if I was interested (I was watching a video on an F40 earlier and the owner stated that a Golf R would 'have it up to 4000RPM!' and then went on to say a 'Range Rover would!') - If it didn't suit my other requirements (space, comfort, economical) so well I'd have got rid of it (I nearly did, but with lockdown in force, looking for a different car wasn't really practical).

I'm not suggesting it as an alternative to a Boxster or a Z4 coupe (I'd be tempted to the latter, to be honest), but BHP tends to be a bit of a Tops Trumps game, my 230BHP RX-8 was far more enjoyable to drive.

If you feel brave an RX8 would leave you about £8500 change for engine rebuilds! (Oil usage wasn't that much on mine and while fuel consumption is pretty ruinous, I don't think it's much worse than many others mentioned!)

M
    It's funny you should mention this. I've been borrowing my Dad's Up GTI a lot recently and I've got to be honest, I've been having more fun in that than I've ever had in my TT. You go everywhere absoloutely flat out which normally means about 50mph!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    We looked the Toyota/Subaru 86 coupe and she thought the interior rather low rent, hard plastic etc, but lots of fun when on decent tyres.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I've has an MX5, S2000, several Z4s and currently have an GT86 - the GT86 is the best to drive and surprisingly comfortable. I am sure one would meet your needs if you can find one for your budget.

The MX5 was also very nice to drive, the S2000 was great, but tail-happy and cramped. The Z4s all needed the AA/RAC at some point (flat batteries/jammed hood) - my wife loved them but I wasn't a fan (though the Z4 coupe previously mentioned is a lovely looking car with the advantage that the roof wouldn't squeak like all my soft tops did!)
    I think I need to drive a GT86...

Again, thanks all for the comments!

You could just be silly and try a Fiat Panda 100HP. I believe the other one is something like a Clio Trophy Cup - Andy Tims can give you some advice there, one shares his drive with his Exige and 911 GT3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    The MX5 might be a bit tight at 6’2”, the Boxster even with the canvas roof felt spacious and very refined and the drive was superb.
    I'm 6'2 1/2" and fit perfectly in an MX-5 but found the Boxster remarkably uncomfortable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, some real food for thought! The comment about not real sports cars made me chuckle, perhaps quite correct but then again 'slightly lardy quasi sports car come sorta GT conundrum" doesn't have the same ring to the title, haha!

Thanks, oddly I agree on the front, looks sorta undefined? I don't know. Certainly a very good looking car from pretty much every other angle, though. I agree on the satnav, wonder if a delete is possible. Dash tops must be pretty cheap from a scrapper...

Thanks, they do look good in grey. Which minis did you have? The r53's look tempting, and surely the JCW will be (if not already) a modern classic.

I'd prefer it to be a hardtop, I have use of an S2000 on nice days in the summer so that's the droptop fix.

I've seriously considered a Cayman, but as someone else rightly points out they're slightly over budget and again that would not put me in a good one... I'd rather wait a few years for some of the 'newer' (read, post IMS fix) ones to fall in value a bit.

Thanks. My neighbour had one and raved about it too (the GT86). I think I'll have to have a drive in one if I can find one local enough.

It's funny you should mention this. I've been borrowing my Dad's Up GTI a lot recently and I've got to be honest, I've been having more fun in that than I've ever had in my TT. You go everywhere absoloutely flat out which normally means about 50mph!

I think I need to drive a GT86...

Again, thanks all for the comments!
    I’ve had the R53, the R56 and F56 (or whatever they’re called). Supercharged was the most fun & felt more special. Less so the newer it got.

Z4C all the way for me if I was looking.

Master
    Can't agree more having owned both i much prefer the MX5...plus you get a lot newer car with less problems and the main issue for me was i could never leave the boxster in some of the places i wanted without coming back and finding the hood slashed or the badge nicked.

Master
    For £9k - with a hard roof - I honestly can’t think of anything worth buying that I’d consider a “sportscar”.

Lots of interesting ideas floated, but none of them = that to me. Hot hatches and GT’s are a wholly different ask IMO.

Sure you can’t flex on the roof and consider a convertible? Or flex the budget upward?

P.S. a real sportscar involves some compromise in my experience, but brings exponential enjoyment value

If you read the OP he isn’t really asking for a sports car but an “interesting” GT coupe. I’d suggest that means RWD, reasonable power to weight and ideally a not-entirely-run-of-the-mill engine.

Makes perfect sense to me - on the more interesting car list I’ve had an Elise, a 944, a 911, an RS Clio Cup and a Z4M, and the idea of a versatile but interesting coupe is very tempting. Something you can use for longer journeys, get in when you just want air con and a comfortable ride home but that can also pick up its skirts when you need it to.

I suggest upping the budget 3 fold and getting a 1M!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    If you read the OP he isn’t really asking for a sports car but an “interesting” GT coupe. I’d suggest that means RWD, reasonable power to weight and ideally a not-entirely-run-of-the-mill engine.

Makes perfect sense to me - on the more interesting car list I’ve had an Elise, a 944, a 911, an RS Clio Cup and a Z4M, and the idea of a versatile but interesting coupe is very tempting. Something you can use for longer journeys, get in when you just want air con and a comfortable ride home but that can also pick up its skirts when you need it to.

I suggest upping the budget 3 fold and getting a 1M!
    “Sports car conundrum”.

I get your extrapolation, but the original post is asking for something that I’m not sure exists at that price point.

If it was “GT coupe conundrum” then I think we’d be in somewhat different territory.

At £9k I suspect there are some E46 M3’s out there, but whether or not they’d be any good at that price I genuinely don’t know.

I’ve had 4x Elises in different configurations, an NA MX5 RS Limited (with sensible modding for fast road and track work), an RS Megane R26 F1 Team, an F92 335d and now run an M135i. Absolutely nothing drives like the Elises. The MX5 was brilliant for 9-10/10ths driving most of the time, but everything else was not what I’d call “sports cars”.

The 335d was indeed an awesome GT, and I’d have one again in a heartbeat. A 335i would be very nice too. But they are heavy and don’t handle anything like the lightweight stuff (as I’m sure you know).

Yes well I agree it probably doesn’t exist at that price point. Perhaps a GT86/BRZ is the nearest? Maybe a Renault Sport of some sort (albeit FWD and a hatchback). Or my suggestion of the 135i coupe and accept the weight disadvantage.

One reason why I suggested upping the budget significantly!

I’ve not driven one but apparently the Mk3 TT is a big dynamic improvement over the Mk 2, but a) it’s still mostly FWD with a nose heavy config; and b) a TTS is well above budget.

If money were no object then I think the cars that best meet this brief are the Alpine or the 4C though two seaters of course.