closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coffee beans

Coffee beans

Just got a Jura machine off coot on tz
    Lovely fella. I’ve had nespresso machines for years
    Always had the purple Roma capsules
    Any advice on what beans maybe are similar?
    I like a strong smooth coffee
    Ps coot left a few beans in the Jura for me
    Wow what a difference. The coffee was superb
    Cheers Andy

I had to look this up: Roma Capsule

FULL AND BALANCED: The balance of lightly roasted South and Central American Arabicas with Robusta, gives Roma sweet and woody notes and a full, lasting taste on the palate.

INTENSITY: 8/10

SIZE OF CUP: 25 ml / 40 ml

AROMATIC PROFILE: Woody

Origin: Cultivated at high altitude, the Central American Arabicas bring finesse, whilst the Brazilian Arabicas and Robustas provide body and a lingering taste on the palate.

Roasting: Light roasting and fine grinding bring finesse to the blend and create a short espresso, which is not too strong.

Aromatic profile: Roasted and woody notes are revealed through the light roasting of intensely flavoured beans from different origins.

OP...not really a match but as somewhere to start, how about this link: Caffè Italiano?

Edit Looking at their blends (link), the All Day Blend may be closer to that spec.
    Last edited by PickleB; 14th June 2020 at 17:25.

Forget the capsules and trying to get the same taste.

Buy 2 or 3 small bags of highly rated beans from a decent coffee selling website.

Monsoon Malabar was my favourite with some cream.

If you are a member of Costco - try out their large packs of beans. Way cheaper than elsewhere, and to be frank - I would struggle to say they were inferior.

They do several different blends/styles. app £9.00 per 910g bag.

Craftsman
    I have a subscription with Rave Coffee and I like what they send me but there are many other good suppliers.

Craftsman

Coffee Beans

Have a Sage machine at work (Oracle) and at home (Bambino)and have been buying beans from Amazon for both

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They make a great espresso and there's a number of options from the same supplier, generally around £15/kg, which is a decent price

Also have a subscription with Pact but have been finding whilst I'm working from home, I keep bumping my next delivery as I'm more than happy with the beans I get from Amazon

HTH

Steve

Like you I used to use Nespresso and also preferred the purple capsules. I've settled on Café Du Monde Grande Cru; a lovely smooth coffee.

This is where I get my fix. Postage on orders over £15 is free at the moment.
    Their Daybreak blend might suit you.

https://www.rountoncoffee.co.uk/shop-c1/our-coffee-c9

Master
    Yallah coffee have taken delivery of carbon neutral beans. Shipped on a sailboat apparently from Colombia. Looking fwd to those tea clippers on the seas again.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If you are a member of Costco - try out their large packs of beans. Way cheaper than elsewhere, and to be frank - I would struggle to say they were inferior.

They do several different blends/styles. app £9.00 per 910g bag.
    I bought some of their Columbia beans this weekend. Good value at £9 and pretty tasty

I've been a happy customer of Pact Coffee for a few years, I buy their high end "Micro-Lot" on subscription (which you can pause/cancel at any time if you want).

If you want to try them the link below gets you £5 off your first order (which can be your only order if you aren't satisfied and cancel).

https://www.pactcoffee.com/coffee-pl...?voucher=PORRA

Thanks all

I have subscriptions with Small Batch Coffee and Pact. Pact is great because you can switch it on and off whenever you want. Small Batch has some amazing coffees.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire View Post
    I've been a happy customer of Pact Coffee for a few years, I buy their high end "Micro-Lot" on subscription (which you can pause/cancel at any time if you want).

If you want to try them the link below gets you £5 off your first order (which can be your only order if you aren't satisfied and cancel).

https://www.pactcoffee.com/coffee-pl...?voucher=PORRA
    Three times the price of beans from Costco - I’ll give them a try, but if I end up hooked on them............ I’ll be paying you a visit !

I have 3 cups on average, a day, with the big morning coffee having a double shot of beans.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Waitrose 1 Sumatra is gorgeous, as is the W1 Kenyan.

Worst I've had is Lavazza Rossa beans. They seems bland.

Outright best in my opinion is the notes from the flat cap guy in strutton ground market.

Do yourself a favour and buy some freshly roasted beans from a local roaster. HasBean are 10 mins up the road from me, and fortunately one of the best in the UK.

£20/kg is super cheap considering the quality: https://www.hasbean.co.uk/collection.../espresso-pack

EDIT: Is it possible to change the inputs/outputs? The Jura says "bean capacity 5g-16g", which means you should be using the full hopper for every drink. Espresso is usually ~1:2 ratio, 18g in:36g out. I'd try that if you can and see what it does.
    Last edited by jkb89; 16th June 2020 at 09:22.

Craftsman
    ^This

I haven’t bought coffee from a grocery store in almost two years. There are some great independents out there and they would love the support.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post
    Do yourself a favour and buy some freshly roasted beans from a local roaster. HasBean are 10 mins up the road from me, and fortunately one of the best in the UK.

£20/kg is super cheap considering the quality: https://www.hasbean.co.uk/collection.../espresso-pack

EDIT: Is it possible to change the inputs/outputs? The Jura says "bean capacity 5g-16g", which means you should be using the full hopper for every drink. Espresso is usually ~1:2 ratio, 18g in:36g out. I'd try that if you can and see what it does.
    Not a bad price, to be fair.................... but:

Right now, these are the coffees included...

​Seriously!!??

Quote Originally Posted by jkb89 View Post

Thanks. My Jura e6 I’ve put a 200g bag of beans in the hopper got some from union coffee. Very nice

Blog Entries
    It’s worth the extra to get freshly roasted - it’s night and day in regards to flavour

I have been a long time supporter of HasBean

Have recently switched to pebble and pine as they’re cheaper and appear to be as good…

EDIT - that’s a referral link - but they do offer 25% off for new customers using it…

Delivery can take a couple of weeks by the way as they appear to be exceptionally busy

Guatemala Huehuetenango SHB Medium Roast Is my recommendation!

https://pebbleandpine.co.uk/?smile_r...m=referral_url
    Last edited by Wolfie; 16th June 2020 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It’s worth the extra to get freshly roasted - it’s night and day in regards to flavour

Thanks for that - ordered up a 5 variety selection.

Anecdotally - last year, I got a service tech in to look at my wine-cooler which was U/S. Asked him if he wanted a coffee, and he looked around the kitchen and asked: “what kind of coffee?”
    (I thought - this guy’s a bit fussy?)

”Bean to cup - medium roast” while pointing to the Gaggia in the corner.......

”Oh brilliant! Yes please!”

He apologised for appearing fussy, but had bought a bean to cup machine a few months before, and now couldn’t enjoy instant coffee.

Not sure which machine I’d hang on to, to the end........... Dishwasher or Coffee Machine.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that - ordered up a 5 variety selection.

Anecdotally - last year, I got a service tech in to look at my wine-cooler which was U/S. Asked him if he wanted a coffee, and he looked around the kitchen and asked: “what kind of coffee?”
    (I thought - this guy’s a bit fussy?)

”Bean to cup - medium roast” while pointing to the Gaggia in the corner.......

”Oh brilliant! Yes please!”

He apologised for appearing fussy, but had bought a bean to cup machine a few months before, and now couldn’t enjoy instant coffee.

Not sure which machine I’d hang on to, to the end........... Dishwasher or Coffee Machine.
    Ah! Thank you! That’s got me 25% off my next order too :-)

I am with your technician…. Once you’re used to good coffee you become spoiled…. Even in relation to beans…. Tried some lavazza Rossa in an emergency…. They were bitter and unpleasant comparatively

Nespresso I can stomach but it has a slightly synthetic edge to it

I have a very sophisticated palette don’t you know !

Blog Entries
    Solimo Brand Coffee Beans 2 kg (2 x 1 kg) for £10.49

Clearly, not high priced, luxury coffee - but I grind this every morning for my Sage Espresso machine & it does the trick...

z

I have been a long time supporter of HasBean

Have recently switched to pebble and pine as they’re cheaper and appear to be as good…

EDIT - that’s a referral link - but they do offer 25% off for new customers using it…

Delivery can take a couple of weeks by the way as they appear to be exceptionally busy

Guatemala Huehuetenango SHB Medium Roast Is my recommendation!

Done. Thanks

Master
    Another happy Pact subscriber here. I've never had a batch roasted more than 5 days older than the posting date.

Not a bad price, to be fair.................... but:

Right now, these are the coffees included...

​Seriously!!??
    When you drink enough coffee you have to have a way to pick out the differences.... I never get the exact notes, but "fruity" or "nutty" are stuff I can pick up on. If you were more practiced and extracting with £5k espresso machines and perfect technique, perhaps?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Done. Thanks
    Great - I think you’ll like it!

Ben

Ah! Thank you! That’s got me 25% off my next order too :-)

I am with your technician…. Once you’re used to good coffee you become spoiled…. Even in relation to beans…. Tried some lavazza Rossa in an emergency…. They were bitter and unpleasant comparatively

Nespresso I can stomach but it has a slightly synthetic edge to it

I have a very sophisticated palette don’t you know !
    Beans finally arrived with an apology for delays. Tried one variety already and am impressed!

I have a lot of beans to work through, but will be returning to them when supplies get low.

Great recommendation!

Beans finally arrived with an apology for delays. Tried one variety already and am impressed!

I have a lot of beans to work through, but will be returning to them when supplies get low.

Great recommendation!
    Same here. Nice hand written letter of apology. Nice touch

Blog Entries

Great recommendation!
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Same here. Nice hand written letter of apology. Nice touch
    Fantastic! Glad you like them :-)

I did warn it’d take a couple of weeks…. Worth the wait though!