closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for a bit of advice on a shaky house

Craftsman

Looking for a bit of advice on a shaky house

Looking for some advice on a problem that has come about with my house.

To give a bit of background. I bought a bungalow three years ago with the knowledge that there would be a new estate getting built opposite the junction where I am situated. I don't have any issues with this, people have to live somewhere and it's a nice wee bit where we are.

Moving on, the houses opposite are almost complete and some are now occupied. The builder had put in a new junction, a crossroads where it used to be a T junction before. This is where the problem is.

Before the junction was changed hgvs would tear by the house despite it being a 30mph limit, there was no issues with this other than is is quite scary when you're in the front garden and almost blown over with the draught from these lorries. But since the junction has been changed the whole house shakes when they go by. This also happens when a bus tears by (they speed too!) and it appears to be caused by different road surface levels where work has been done. It's maybe only 10mm but the shaking is really bad. The junction is now signalised but the traffic lights have not been turned on yet. This will not help as the default is for the main road to sit at green until a vehicle approaches the junction from either side of the main road. This is the layout and sequence of a set of similar lights up the road from me.

So, to finally get to the advice part. Who, where or what can I complain about this to? Will this cause long term damage to my house? Has anyone came across a problem like this before? I live in Scotland, north east of Glasgow if that makes any difference?

Any help will be gratefully received. Cheers.

ps, once in a blue moon the police set up a speed trap 200m up the road from me, usually for about two hours but I've not seen one for over a year.

Journeyman

Suggestions

Hi

I would suggest that you need to take this up with both the Local (District?) Council (the Planning Authority) and also the Local Highway Authority (who will have agreed the changes to the Highway) to facilitatae the new estate access arrangement.

The LHA is likely to have an Engineering/Roads Team, who will have technically audited the new junction and then supervised its implementation to standards.

The LHA will also have a Road Safety (or equivalent) Team who will have the records of requests for speeding enforcement etc. If the location is known for speeds above the posted limit then if nothing else the LHA should have asked for a VAS (vehicle activated sign) reminding of the speed-limit.

The two Authorities will be as indicated but the Departments/Teams may be called different.

L-K

Again, it is a local Highway Authority (County Council) matter, my earliest job was working for our Counties Road Assessment Team and any undulations of 10mm plus would not be tolerated on most classified roads, but that was 27+ years ago. I’m now outside of Civil Engineering and out of touch. Worth asking.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the advice guys. That info gives me an idea of where I should start. I'll need to get the ball rolling so to speak, the ornaments are heading off the edges of the furniture like lemmings!
    Last edited by billymac; 30th June 2020 at 17:54. Reason: typo

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I would probably start by contacting your local councillor as he/she would know exactly who to contact. I would also canvass your neighbours and get them to weigh in as well if they are having even remotely similar issues.

oh....and on a lighter note I would buy some blue tack and stick the ornaments down!

Craftsman
    Sent off the first of what will probably end up being many emails to the local (North Lanarkshire) council roads department this afternoon. I'll give it until next week to see if I get a reply, and if not, try again. Good call with the blue tack, I'll need to dig it out.