closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cycle/Pushbike Collection/Delivery?

Cycle/Pushbike Collection/Delivery?

Had an interesting call from my brother... Goes along the line of -Am I busy this week? Yes...
    All week? Yes
    I’ve bought something - need to collect. I’ll pay you, give you some diesel money...
    Turns out it’s in Bridgnorth... I’m South East London/Surrey/Kent Borders....

There seller I have to say is a bit of an idiot; got to be after 5pm. Can’t be at a weekend he works.
    My brother tentatively suggested he could get a train, but nearest station Kidderminster 20 miles away. The seller doesn’t want to meet him at a station with bike due to Covid, yet he’s happy to work still? People as a rule can be complete idiots sometimes.

So, anyone any experience of bike couriers/posting?
    Although I suspect he won’t want to get involved with packing, damage etc, but he’s clearly happy for a bloke in Hilux to schlep 120 odd miles, Chuck it on back of truck and have a 4 hr drive back all at his convenience...

Thanks in advance...

Blog Entries
    Question is why did your brother commit to buying something he obviously has an issue completing?

Use Shiply post the item- lets couriers quote for the job, Courier liases with seller to pick up item and will wrap it all up too.

Had an item that weighed £80kg picked up in Birmingham bought to London for £80.

To be fair to the seller he probably listed it as collection only and won't want to wrap it up etc incase it gets damaged in transit - and then it becomes a it was damaged before/not wrapped up .

if listed it as collection only you can't hold it against him that he doesn't want to wrap it up.

used Shiply loads of times.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Question is why did your brother commit to buying something he obviously has an issue completing?
    This, sir, is a very very good question.....

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Use Shiply post the item- lets couriers quote for the job, Courier liases with seller to pick up item and will wrap it all up too.

Had an item that weighed £80kg picked up in Birmingham bought to London for £80.

To be fair to the seller he probably listed it as collection only and won't want to wrap it up etc incase it gets damaged in transit - and then it becomes a it was damaged before/not wrapped up .

if listed it as collection only you can't hold it against him that he doesn't want to wrap it up.

used Shiply loads of times.
    I’m not entirely sure that my brother , or anyone could stupid enough to buy something that has so many stipulations about collecting beforehand; must be after 5, can’t be a weekend, clearly in the middle of nowhere being 20 miles from a station and no offer to drop at said station.
    If these parameters were made clear prior, I don’t think he, or anyone could proceed with a purchase - unless living local to seller.

I have used Shipley many times before. Currently only one person offfeting collection within the next 3-5 months, and it’s £639. I would actually do it myself for that....
    The last time I used Shipley a few weeks back, the courier didn’t collect as promised, and said it would be another 2 weeks. Currently in dispute to get a refund. Whether more chancers appearing with Covid? It’s generally worked well before....

I have had something similar (once) before with an ebay purchase of a new item.

After completing a 'Buy it Now' from a commercial seller, they then sent me a very blunt and unfriendly email stating an exact time and day when I must collect the item, all without any consultation with me at all regarding whether I could even collect that day.
    I cancelled the purchase and went elsewhere as life is too short to put up with attitudes like that and then travel miles to save a couple of ££'s.

Well, it is fairly easy to securely pack a bicycle. If you know what you are doing and willing to do it. I assume the seller has no intention of doing it whatsoever?
    In all fairness, unless it's a super bargain, I don't understand why your brother would commit to buying it before agreeing postage with the seller. It just seems like a lot of hassle.

He could maybe try to persuade the seller that, in his own time, at his own pace he could get a bike box from a local bike shop (I got many of them from various bike shops and never paid anything for it) and pack it up. These boxes are usually quite thick, so the bike would be fairly safe (he'd need to detach the handlebar from the stem and ideally secure it to the top tube of the frame). I still wouldn't trust anyone to do that - after all that hassle and probably premium postage costs (because the seller is not experienced in this - assumption) he's risking having a damaged bike or a bike that at least needs a service... As I said, a lot of hassle. I hope it's a £5k bike for £500.

The same issue will be with the courier, as he will need to be there when the courier shows up to hand over the box.

I’m selling a bike at the moment and it’s collection only so the buyer can see the bike and be happy about it.

packing a bike is not that straight forward or quick to do properly and then the courier will be stepping all over the box in his van, I have seen them in action !

Cycle/Pushbike Collection/Delivery?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    The same issue will be with the courier, as he will need to be there when the courier shows up to hand over the box.

I’m selling a bike at the moment and it’s collection only so the buyer can see the bike and be happy about it.

packing a bike is not that straight forward or quick to do properly and then the courier will be stepping all over the box in his van, I have seen them in action !
    Having said that, I’ve not sold the bike as we are in the middle of nowhere and I’m not posting it!

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    I’m not entirely sure that my brother , or anyone could stupid enough to buy something that has so many stipulations about collecting beforehand; must be after 5, can’t be a weekend, clearly in the middle of nowhere being 20 miles from a station and no offer to drop at said station.
    If these parameters were made clear prior, I don’t think he, or anyone could proceed with a purchase - unless living local to seller.
    I guess the seller wasn't expecting anyone stupid enough to buy it when they lived 120 miles away?

We picked up an eBay bike for my son on Sunday. We're East London and they were Wimbledon. That was an hour and a half on the North/South Circular I'll never get back. We had a nice ride around Richmond Park though, which kind of made up for it.

I'm picking another one up for myself from Essex on Friday. That should be an easier journey but still nearly an hour. Both sellers were easy going about the day, time and place, which was a reiief.

Bikes seem to have become the new sports Rolex – limited availability and paying over the odds on the used market

Is it a rare bike at a silly price? I'd be tempted to say 'Sorry mate, can't do it with those stipulations' and cancel the purchase.