closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Repairing crown thread

Repairing crown thread

Hi all. I have a B&R Vintage 120 that I've had for 15 years and love it. At some point, a problem has developed with the crown. It feels almost as if something is not completely round - it gets tight once per revolution both when loosening and tightening it. It doesn't feel cross-threaded (I'm supposing that would feel tight all the time).

I could really do with having someone take a look at it. Can anyone recommend someone reliable to send it to? I'm reluctant to send it back to B&R if I don't have to!

Thanks.

Grand Master
    It's likely to need a new crown and pendant tube. I think you'll have to bite the bullet and send it back to B & R. Getting the old pendant tube out can be a challenge, getting hold of the correct parts is another challenge.

Screw-down crowns are trouble waiting to happen, if a watch is used regularly over a long period they usually end up wearing and giving problems. I`ve attempted to do repairs like this using generic parts and its a nightmare, never again. The quality of hat's available isn`t great.

The only screw-down crowns I`ve repaired successfully are Omega SMPs, I have the correct tool to get the pendant tube out, but nowadays I can`t get the parts so I don`t bother with them.

Unless some brave soul knows better and is prepared to take this job on, the watch has to go to B & R.

Thanks for the reply Walter - I appreciate you taking the time. Sounds like the surgery required means a trip back to B&R for some attention.

It'll be worth it, as I'm not wearing the watch at the moment for fear of damaging the crown further.

Premier watch repairs in Yate did the job for me on a Fortis B42 chronograph a while ago. Maybe try them, they seemed very efficient.

Thanks for the tip - I'm not a million miles away, so I'll give them a call.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoisyGriff View Post
    Thanks for the reply Walter - I appreciate you taking the time. Sounds like the surgery required means a trip back to B&R for some attention.

It'll be worth it, as I'm not wearing the watch at the moment for fear of damaging the crown further.
    I’m not called Walter, the name is Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’m not called Walter, the name is Paul
    Haha - sorry Paul, Rear your username way too fast!