closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any forensic image experts on here?

Master

Any forensic image experts on here?

A friend of mine had his warehouse robbed last night and managed to capture the suspects and their vehicle on CCTV but frustratingly the camera is too far out to exactly identify the reg.

Any ideas on what we can do to try and identify it? Is there some clever software or individual who'd kindly help?

Thanks

theres loads of firms out there that can do this, some are able to patch together other CCTV in the area to build an even bigger picture on movements before and after etc

https://www.3ef.co.uk/audiovideo.html

There are free and trial versions of software deblurring apps available, but one would hope that the police would be able to assist?

Master

Suggest you google for photo extrapolation. The link below will explain the concept and then you search for trail software relevant to the computer you will use.

http://graficaobscura.com/interp/index.html

Preserve the image and work on copies only. Avoid compression/ compressed versions of the files.

Craftsman
    Andy Saunders would get my vote ;-)

https://twitter.com/andysaunders_1?lang=en

On the subject of CCTV images, I've mentioned on here a few times, it's important to review the type and quality of images you are recording. I've had loads of people show me the wonderful wide angle daylight images on their phone but when the sh1t hits the fan you need details of faces and numberplates.

The comparison is highlighted in one of CCTV42's videos (the 911 Virgin people) -

https://www.cctv42.co.uk/help-advice/video-tutorials/

Master
    I've a background in VFX and image manipulation , done a fair bit of restoration work too.

There is no magic bullet for image enhancement other than some contrast and edge enhancement to exagerate details in the image to make i more legible. If the information isn't already there though then it won't magically become clear .

I can have a look but I'm a bit busy right now and may not get to it for a while.

Master
    UPDATE: through trial and error and a bit of photoshop I got a matching plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I've a background in VFX and image manipulation , done a fair bit of restoration work too.

There is no magic bullet for image enhancement other than some contrast and edge enhancement to exagerate details in the image to make i more legible. If the information isn't already there though then it won't magically become clear .

I can have a look but I'm a bit busy right now and may not get to it for a while.
    Pretty sure in the movies they just say 'ENHANCE!' and it increases the resolution as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Pretty sure in the movies they just say 'ENHANCE!' and it increases the resolution as needed.
    the louder you yell, the outcome is better

I’d say give the footage to the cops and let them enhance it.

Would “enhanced” images even be acceptable as evidence if not done by the police themselves?
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 1st July 2020 at 00:01.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post

https://youtu.be/Vxq9yj2pVWk

I helped my local pub grab and enhance cctv stills for police after they got broke into. The scrote was at it for two hours and I only managed to get one frame of his face from seven cameras!

His tactics and boldness was incredible eg spent 5 minutes moving furniture in front of the door leading to upstairs private accommodation!

I don’t think the police would have persevered as much as i did which resulted in him being recognised locally and an arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk