closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 116610LN or 114060

Master

116610LN or 114060

Intrigued to hear peoples thoughts on the two models and pros and cons of any or either, Ive actually got a no date and love the simplicity of it and feel its a classic piece and yet date versions always seem to be more sought after and wondered why that may be the case?

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Intrigued to hear peoples thoughts on the two models and pros and cons of any or either, Ive actually got a no date and love the simplicity of it and feel its a classic piece and yet date versions always seem to be more sought after and wondered why that may be the case?
    I always thought the no date version were more desirable than the date.

Guess having the date could be seen as more practical plus it has the cyclops which I guess some people like as its shouts Rolex!

Master
    maybe I've got it the wrong way round???

Personally not a huge fan of the cyclops as having one on my sd43 and Gmt I never felt the desire to have one on the sub but as you say it may be for the whole look at me Rolex scenario???

Well having owned a sub date for 20 years and watched sub values over that period, the sub date always commanded a premium to the non date. That still seems the case, and with the new 6 digits they seem to command quite a healthy premium over their rrp difference.

I like a watch without a date, I like the simplicity. Funnily enough though I would never choose a sub without a date over a sub date..... I must like the cyclops and the form of it. For me it just works.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Well having owned a sub date for 20 years and watched sub values over that period, the sub date always commanded a premium to the non date. That still seems the case, and with the new 6 digits they seem to command quite a healthy premium over their rrp difference.

I like a watch without a date, I like the simplicity. Funnily enough though I would never choose a sub without a date over a sub date..... I must like the cyclops and the form of it. For me it just works.

When I bought mine just over 20 years ago , I tried on the date , non date and Sea Dweller , all available from stock.

Non date or Sea Dweller were my choice that day and I went for the non date , the date model was never in the running.

Still think I made the right choice , with hindsight I should have bought all three.

Master
    Personally prefer the Sub
    5513,14060 and even 114060 to the date versions-with the exception of the red Sub.
    I had a ceramic Sub date but never really liked it and was always wanting the 40mm seadweller (116600) instead.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    When I bought mine just over 20 years ago , I tried on the date , non date and Sea Dweller , all available from stock.

Non date or Sea Dweller were my choice that day and I went for the non date , the date model was never in the running.

Still think I made the right choice , with hindsight I should have bought all three.
    That is interesting. Down here I could have bought a seadweller and GMT at any point from the window, but had to wait on the list (yes waiting lists were a thing back in the year 2000)!from dec 1999 to dec 2001 - a 2 year wait - to part with my £2120 for a sub date.

I much prefer the 114060 and think it's a better looking watch. At £850 less it's an even easier decision. As you've had the SD43 getting the Sub Date might feel like dropping from a RR Sport to an Evoque whereas the No Date is a completely different watch.

I prefer the non date as I’m not a big fan of the cyclops but the date version is priced higher and probably more popular due to the fact that it’s a different movement and has more complications than the non date

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

To me the choice is between the submariner and the submariner with pointless date function

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had both 116610LN and 114060 for a little while. Sold the Sub date because I wasn’t wearing it. Mainly because at a quick glance it looked very similar to another watch I have but also because I preferred the simplicity of the ND out of those two. I did buy a different variant of Sub date later on but that was due to the colour and much needed variety.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Submariner 114060 all day. It’s the classic submariner and best looking. The date just looks odd with the cyclops and date window. The dial is off not present to the eye. Use your phone for the date and get a 114060.

M

Like others on here I would go for a straight Submariner. If I wanted a date function I would buy a SD. I do agree though that for Joe Public a Black dial Submariner with a date and cyclops is probably their view of what a Rolex should look like. Each to their own and all that.

I dislike the case shape on the ceramic versions - but for some reason I like the LV ceramic, somehow the 'bright' dial and bezel seem to distract from the fat lugs. I prefer the date sub in honesty but do like a 2 liner. If I could only have one.... it would be a 16600 SD not a submariner.

Master
    I think you often hear people preferring the non date as they don’t like the cyclops, yet ironically I think it’s the cyclops that makes the date one more desired and hence worth more, both new and secondary. I like the symmetry of the non date, but I also like a cyclops, so either for me :-)

Master
    i bought the non date sub because never wearing the same watch for more than a day,i dont have to set the date everytime i wear it.having a date on a watch is never a deal breaker but the no dates get worn more by their lazy owner.

Journeyman
    Subs are too small get a Sea Dweller

The cyclops seems to be discussed on this forum as if it is some sort of design feature without purpose.

As a person who wears reading glasses, I find the cyclops absolutely essential to be able to read the date without my glasses on.

Aesthetics aside, the cyclops plays an essential role I couldn’t live without on my subC.

It seems like the actual functionality of a watch is ignored over purely the way it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Depends on wrist size.
    I’ve got a 7 inch wrist and the sub suits me perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Depends on wrist size.
    I’ve got a 7 inch wrist and the sub suits me perfectly
    It's also a question of comfort and balance, I find the 4 and 5 digit Subs sit much better on the wrist than the slightly bigger case on the same digit SDs.

Banned
    I think for me the no date sub just about wins this. I hate that it’s so difficult to keep the sapphire clean around the cyclops. No matter how much you clean it there’s always dust and smudges around the bump. Also with phones in your pocket you can always have the date and it’s more accurate

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just that the majority of the buying public buy watches with date comps, whereas nerds go for purity with subs.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Just that the majority of the buying public buy watches with date comps, whereas nerds go for purity with subs.
    Yep, Sub Dates will outsell by miles but if you look on IG or forums you'll rarely see a WIS with the date model.

I am a cheapskate so went for the 114060 to save money, as I can’t think of any situation when I need to know the date at a glance.

I also prefer Rolex watches without a cyclops, as they stand out less.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I also prefer Rolex watches without a cyclops, as they stand out less.
    I have a 1655 Explorer11 with a Plexiglas. You can hardly notice the watch let alone the cyclops. It is the ultimate stealth Rolex and that's why it is my most worn watch.

Journeyman
    116610 - the cyclops is just say sub for me

Got the sub with date - love it 100%

I am developing an appreciation for the non date now since joining TZ... is this what happens here

Where are you steering towards now?

Thanks
    S

Master
    I've got the date version as I've always liked the rolex cyclops

Craftsman
    Sub date for me !

I like and own the date version. For me the cyclops is Rolex, and I always find it funny that people take such issue with it on the Sub but everyone loves the DJ, and the GMT, and the DD - which all have cyclops. I think the militant no date groupthink is a bit of an internet circlejerk

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    I like and own the date version. For me the cyclops is Rolex, and I always find it funny that people take such issue with it on the Sub but everyone loves the DJ, and the GMT, and the DD - which all have cyclops. I think the militant no date groupthink is a bit of an internet circlejerk
    We have the Submariner, you have the Submariner Date - that's the difference. For most people the Cyclops *is* Rolex and that's true when it comes to the DJ, GMT, YM, DD etc but when it comes to the Submariner, no Cyclops *is* Submariner. It's a purist thing and as with anything purists are pernickety, fastidious, anal, fussy, particular, choosey, hair splitting losers

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    We have the Submariner, you have the Submariner Date - that's the difference. For most people the Cyclops *is* Rolex and that's true when it comes to the DJ, GMT, YM, DD etc but when it comes to the Submariner, no Cyclops *is* Submariner. It's a purist thing and as with anything purists are pernickety, fastidious, anal, fussy, particular, choosey, hair splitting losers
    Haha yeah that’s true. It’s good they make both versions.

What I mean about the cyclops is that people make comments like ‘I hate the way the cyclops looks’ when talking about the Sub, but lust after the GMT - which looks just the same and has the exact same cyclops, you see this all the time online hence my circlejerk comment

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    Maybe something to do with the origins of the submariner timepiece being a divers tool - where presumably the date function was not required, so watch nerds/purists probably prefer it for that reason.
    You can see a sub with a cyclops from over the street and that’s important for some.
    I like the aesthetic of the cyclops but when I buy a sub it will be a two line no date, because it’s a faff changing the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Maybe something to do with the origins of the submariner timepiece being a divers tool - where presumably the date function was not required, so watch nerds/purists probably prefer it for that reason.
    You can see a sub with a cyclops from over the street and that’s important for some.
    I like the aesthetic of the cyclops but when I buy a sub it will be a two line no date, because it’s a faff changing the date.
    Yeah I think you’re right.

The two line no date is a really cool watch

Master
    I have both , 14060M and 16610. Do I have a preference, yup its the submariner. Clean lines , rapid set, so nearly a grab and go watch. Lastly the dial looks so well. balanced and clean. But both of mine are 5 digits so not the maxi case.

For me the 2 line No date 4 or 5 digit is the absolute classic Submariner in whatever version suits your pocket..

The 6 digit to me is an complete mess of a watch in either version Date/no date unbalanced /too big/out of all proportion/the way it sits on the wrist etc....though technically the better watch..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    i bought the non date sub because never wearing the same watch for more than a day,i dont have to set the date everytime i wear it.having a date on a watch is never a deal breaker but the no dates get worn more by their lazy owner.
    Yes you could say that those who wear a no date are lazy but you could also say that date watches are only needed by thick buggers who can't remember the date.

Master
    Interesting feedback and thoughts on the matter, well following on from this I sat with my AD yesterday and spoke about the merits of both and it’s clearly down to opinion needless to say I brought the date version so now have both and will report back over time as to which I prefer long term.

You must be a VIP to have gotten the bezel protector! Nice watch and if funds allow "both" is always the default. Enjoy.

Interesting feedback and thoughts on the matter, well following on from this I sat with my AD yesterday and spoke about the merits of both and it’s clearly down to opinion needless to say I brought the date version so now have both and will report back over time as to which I prefer long term.

I personally think the ND is the better looking watch with a lovely clean dial.

The date does nothing for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Too top heavy..if you mean the Deepsea. The 16600 is perfect ..even on big wrists, imo of course. I own a sub date and I didn't like the cyclops ..but now i do like it. It doesn't stop the hunger to own a non date too though

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It's also a question of comfort and balance, I find the 4 and 5 digit Subs sit much better on the wrist than the slightly bigger case on the same digit SDs.
    I think the charm of the 5 digit SDs is the way they sit high on the wrist compared to the Sub. I have a flat wrist, so when I hold my arm out I can see right underneath the watch. Never really noticed any difference in comfort between the Sub or SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    I think the charm of the 5 digit SDs is the way they sit high on the wrist compared to the Sub. I have a flat wrist, so when I hold my arm out I can see right underneath the watch. Never really noticed any difference in comfort between the Sub or SD.
    Does it stick out a similar (proportional) amount to this out of interest? I have fat wrists and my SubC ND wears very flat but my recent SD43 pops out quite a bit due to the thickness of the caseback.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Does it stick out a similar (proportional) amount to this out of interest? I have fat wrists and my SubC ND wears very flat but my recent SD43 pops out quite a bit due to the thickness of the caseback.
    SD 16600 on my flat 7.5 inch wrist...

Last edited by Spesh; 1st July 2020 at 14:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    SD 16600 on my flat 7.5 inch wrist...
    Quite a bit then. Interesting - thanks for the pic.