closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any pub / club bosses not opening next Saturday?

Any pub / club bosses not opening next Saturday?

My mum and uncle run a little working men’s club They’ve looked at the restrictions and rules set by the government (ps I’m not saying they’re wrong ) it seems to me it’s going be really difficult for boozers to make any money
    I reckon a lot are better off staying closed. With no overheads and wages paid by Boris and Co.
    Andy.

Master
    But isn't the furlough scheme going to be drying up pretty soon? :(

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    But isn't the furlough scheme going to be drying up pretty soon? :(
    Oct I think

No pool table allowed. Ours drawers a good few in for game and a pint
    No bandits/ fruit machine allowed
    No live sport to be shown.
    Etc etc etc

The bigger chains seem to gearing up for the date. Small/local places less so - time will tell. I hope that the smaller decent places come through this and get up and running. We have some amazing country pubs around us and it would be a shame if they do not come back.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Our local is fully booked for the 4th. No idea on the economics. A lot have been doing take away pints etc over last few weeks which has been excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Our local is fully booked for the 4th. No idea on the economics. A lot have been doing take away pints etc over last few weeks which has been excellent!
    A couple of the ones here have been doing a good trade on take-out food and drinks - adverts on local radio a few times per day.

My local is staying closed until August at the earliest as they want to ensure they get things set up properly. That's an extremely challenging job for any business, then throw booze into the mix...

Master
    I think we will find some don't open, until they see all the business those open are getting, then they will open...then comes 2nd wave!

I can't see me being back in my local until either there's an effective vaccine or the virus is eradicated. Take Sunday for example. The domino handicap (15-20 people) rolling over a couple of hours, the bar literally covered in food that the locals cook and bring in, people shoulder to shoulder. It's impossible. The quiet times too. Sigh . . .

F.T.F.A.

Unhappy

I'm pretty sure the Pitsmoor here in Sheffield won't be opening as they were stripped of their license when caught in a raid with people drinking!

Apparently punters were hiding in cupboards!!

John...

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Pitsmoor here in Sheffield won't be opening as they were stripped of their license when caught in a raid with people drinking!

Apparently punters were hiding in cupboards!!

John...
    I'd be quite surprised if the Pitsmoor was your local

As for us, our local will be open and as far as I can make out it'll be very busy - I won't be there, It'll take more than our PM to convince me that with a bit of common sense 'all will be well'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Our local police have pre warned a few boozers that spots check and rules will be rigorously enforced.
    Gonna be tough times ahead I think. God knows how they are gonna survive come Oct and nov. 2 notoriously quiet months anyway.

Master
    It amazes me that people have to be told when it's safe to go into a pub, surely common sense would tell them that it's far from safe.
    Social distancing is only part of the problem, as with eating places, pubs, if not operated correctly are a breeding ground for any virus etc, but if you're that desperate for a drink then fill your boots.

I work in Property for one of largest Pubco’s in the UK and we’re expecting 90% of sites to reopen on 4th July.

We’re not forcing anyone to open but the majority have decided with the 1 metre plus rule that they are willing to make a decent stab at it.

The support supplied in terms of rent credits and product discounts mean that overheads for most tied Publicans will be significantly less for the next 3 months.

The problem is the guidelines supplied are so vague it’s causing confusion at a local authority level that EHO’s are making decisions based upon interpretation. This is causing confusion and some of the stuff going on is crazy. Live sport is fine, capacities over 30 are fine etc but whether people decide to return is the real questions no one can answer.

My prediction is value, wet led pubs will do extremely well when their doors reopen. Mid market food and destination food sites will struggle as the people who frequent them tend to be better informed, middle class families who will not want to take any undue risks.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    My mum and uncle run a little working men’s club They’ve looked at the restrictions and rules set by the government (ps I’m not saying they’re wrong ) it seems to me it’s going be really difficult for boozers to make any money
    I reckon a lot are better off staying closed. With no overheads and wages paid by Boris and Co.
    Andy.
    I think one hell of a percentage should be looking for alternative employment. The Furlough scheme is being reduced, until October I believe - when it stops.

Sadly, many publicans will sink personal assets into the business thinking that it will turn around................ I seriously doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny778 View Post
    I work in Property for one of largest Pubco’s in the UK and we’re expecting 90% of sites to reopen on 4th July.

We’re not forcing anyone to open but the majority have decided with the 1 metre plus rule that they are willing to make a decent stab at it.

The support supplied in terms of rent credits and product discounts mean that overheads for most tied Publicans will be significantly less for the next 3 months.

The problem is the guidelines supplied are so vague it’s causing confusion at a local authority level that EHO’s are making decisions based upon interpretation. This is causing confusion and some of the stuff going on is crazy. Live sport is fine, capacities over 30 are fine etc but whether people decide to return is the real questions no one can answer.

My prediction is value, wet led pubs will do extremely well when their doors reopen. Mid market food and destination food sites will struggle as the people who frequent them tend to be better informed, middle class families who will not want to take any undue risks.
    Thanks for the info. Ref live sport. We have been told we can’t show live footy ?

Whilst EHO's have a vital role in protecting consumers, they are a inconsistent community with varying agendas - PITA.

Thanks for the info. Ref live sport. We have been told we can’t show live footy ?
    Live sport can definitely be shown providing social distancing rules are adhered to. I would be pushing back to the local EHO if that’s what they’re saying. You’re not in the North East by any chance are you? We’ve had a nightmare with Newcastle’s EHO who started off down a very similar line.

Live sport can definitely be shown providing social distancing rules are adhered to. I would be pushing back to the local EHO if that’s what they’re saying. You’re not in the North East by any chance are you? We’ve had a nightmare with Newcastle’s EHO who started off down a very similar line.
    Warwickshire/ west mids originally I thought we would be able to show live sport
    But today. My mate. Who owns and runs an independent public house said no live sport
    So hopefully we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    It amazes me that people have to be told when it's safe to go into a pub, surely common sense would tell them that it's far from safe.
    If we could rely on the "common sense" of the public, then we wouldn't need to have speed limits on the road - people could just use their common sense to decide what speed to drive at!

And sadly we've seen how much common sense was demonstrated on Bournemouth beach, at many illegal raves, and at multiple other events recently :-(

Interesting to get a view from somebody in the trade. Do you think that the age demographic will also be a big factor, with establishments catering to a younger clientele being busier than those with an older customer base?

Personally, I won't be going near a pub for at least a couple of weeks (until the initial rush has abated), and after that it will depend very much on how well I feel they have implemented their Social Distancing and other safety measures.

Live sport doesn't seem wisest idea TBH. Whilst there might be social distancing, doubt that distance will be enough to protect raucous shouting fans.

Blog Entries
    I heard the advice - No loud music to avoid the need to shout at each other. Strange that live football is allowed in that case. Of course we will only be meeting in ‘pods’ so only mixing with one other family?

I think mixing alcohol and rules doesn’t work - saw that in Liverpool recently.

Outdoor drinking may work - but you can’t count on the Covid weather lasting forever especially past August.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Live sport doesn't seem wisest idea TBH. Whilst there might be social distancing, doubt that distance will be enough to protect raucous shouting fans.
    Plus let's face it - a lot of hardcore boozers have nothing else going on - so they will have that giddy feeling and will be fairly hard to control.

Master
    No pool table allowed. Ours drawers a good few in for game and a pint
    No bandits/ fruit machine allowed
    No live sport to be shown.
    Etc etc etc
    I see pool tables being hard to police, but are you sure about bandits?

My nephew is a chef (generously termed...) at a wetherspoons and they had to open up especially on Friday for the games company to come and reinstall all of the fruit machines and quiz terminals which were removed over lockdown. Given the fact that space is going to be an issue, surely 8 machines could have been replaced by 8 tables. They certainly won't be paying rent on a bunch of machines they cant use. I'm sure they are one of the main reasons they have ensured a member of staff is available to clean and sterylise "touch points".

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

My nephew is a chef (generously termed...) at a wetherspoons and they had to open up especially on Friday for the games company to come and reinstall all of the fruit machines and quiz terminals which were removed over lockdown. Given the fact that space is going to be an issue, surely 8 machines could have been replaced by 8 tables. They certainly won't be paying rent on a bunch of machines they cant use. I'm sure they are one of the main reasons they have ensured a member of staff is available to clean and sterylise "touch points".

Is space actually going to be an issue in some of the Wetherspoons barns given you can only have 30 people in at one time (or less if you include staff?)?

Edit: Actually the guidance provided by government is so badly written - I'm not sure what and where my above statement applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Surely Live sport would be a no-no because of the following:

Preventing entertainment, such as broadcasts, that is likely to encourage audience behaviours increasing transmission risk. For example, loud background music, communal dancing, group singing or chanting.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...ays-230620.pdf

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

".
    I was going to mention fruit machines. I was under th impression they could be used...I read in a couple of pub chain blurbs regarding how they were complying with H&S that the machines would be cleaned regularly which implies they will be allowed to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I can't see me being back in my local until either there's an effective vaccine or the virus is eradicated..
    Then I would say there is a good chance you will never go back again. It does look like a nice pub.

people have seen what happened with the beaches recently , i would not be suprised one bit if the reopening of the pubs this saturday turned into a nationwide free for all drunken punch up.
    sun 5th will forever be known as 'hangover sunday' to commemorate the worst hangover in british history.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Surely Live sport would be a no-no because of the following:

Therein lies the problem. It’s all based on interpretation. The rules are crazy, you’re not allowed loud music but having a DJ is not against the rules.

It’s going to be interesting to see what the new normal becomes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    people have seen what happened with the beaches recently , i would not be suprised one bit if the reopening of the pubs this saturday turned into a nationwide free for all drunken punch up.
    sun 5th will forever be known as 'hangover sunday' to commemorate the worst hangover in british history.
    I totally agree. You have a bunch of landlords who are understandably desperate to re-open their business and a general public that has shown a clear inability to follow guidelines. If you can't rely on common sense then it will just end up with another lockdown post a fresh spike of new cases.

Master
    No pool table allowed...
    ...No bandits/ fruit machine allowed
    Where did you see that?

I saw no reference to pool/snooker tables or fruit machines in the Govt guidance booklet

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    Where did you see that?

I saw no reference to pool/snooker tables or fruit machines in the Govt guidance booklet
    Yeah true. A pub land lord told me about the pool table and fruit machine.
    I’ll let my mum know. She will just have to clean down after each use I presume

These are meant to be fun, social environments. Restrict their use and most people will decide “what’s the point?.

Also most of these establishments require healthy footfall to keep their heads above water. Restrict the numbers and how will they be able to keep going? Not to mention all the added costs they will now have to pay for, to enforce these restrictions after months of no income.

Poor buggers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    These are meant to be fun, social environments. Restrict their use and most people will decide “what’s the point?.

Also most of these establishments require healthy footfall to keep their heads above water. Restrict the numbers and how will they be able to keep going? Not to mention all the added costs they will now have to pay for, to enforce these restrictions after months of no income.

Poor buggers!
    Agreed. If we can’t sit our small regular group of 6 together so we can have a chat and a catch up relaxing over a pint what’s the point. I do feel sorry for the landlords, they have to put all these restrictions in place which will put off a lot of people, and the nervous and anxious won’t go out anyway as they still don’t feel safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Good luck to anyone off to the pub for a few drinks.

The virus is still out there. We've been staying in and avoiding contact with people wherever possible for weeks.

Are we going to go to the pub for a meal and a few beers, whilst trying to keep at least 1 meter (too close anyway) away from everyone, and hoping they do the same? I should cocoa!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

Poor buggers!
    Definitely agree mate. My mums spent hundreds so far on PPE stuff and it’s only a tiny club.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Social distancing is only part of the problem, as with eating places, pubs, if not operated correctly are a breeding ground for any virus etc, but if you're that desperate for a drink then fill your boots.
    To be honest, I don't think anyone is waiting for the pubs to open to have a drink...

I'd hate to see pubs disappear, they're one of the few really great things about Britain, imo, few other countries have mastered the 'place to drink' in such an enjoyable way as a good pub, and they are already struggling without people who do want to go and socialise over a beer and/or a meal being kept away.

As with everything else, though, I won't be banging on the door demanding a pint at opening time on the first day, I'll let the rush and novelty decline a bit.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

If some people cannot manage social distancing when sober, they have no chance after drinking. I wish the pubs good luck.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    If some people cannot manage social distancing when sober, they have no chance after drinking. I wish the pubs good luck.
    Indeed, was in a Little Waitrose earlier & just left due to the stupidity of others, this being a shop let alone a bar!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Indeed, was in a Little Waitrose earlier & just left due to the stupidity of others, this being a shop let alone a bar!
    Stupidity in Waitrose, what is the world coming to, lol.

Our village pub will be opening on the 4th. We've said we'll go down and have a couple in the garden, I suspect if the weather is good there'll be a massive queue! We really want to support the place though as the village wouldn't be the same without it. So many other villages have lost their pub over recent years very sadly, would hate ours to go the same way.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Our local Micropub has a beer garden and have been doing off sales to tide them over. They’ve said they’ll be halting off sales to go back to operating with the garden only next week. There is a draconian list of rules they’ve published, starting with presenting ID and signing in, and getting on to rules such as no drinking whilst standing up.
    It would seem to me to be a joyless and pointless experience, certainly not for me.

My local has opted for table bookings only, £10 table deposit which you get back off your bar bill
    Seems like the way to go for the time being. No walk ins which seems sensible to me

Sent from my SM-G988B using TZ-UK mobile app

I’ve been looking forward for the return of the pub. My good mate is an owner of a country local near us and this pandemic has almost crippled him as he was already committed to opening and had paid for a second venue which was a micro pub he can’t open that until all social distancing is gone but his main large pub will reopen on Monday.
    Myself and the wife are heading to our local Italian restaurant on Saturday lunch time. He as set it all up excellently and is on strictly bookings only. We will have a meal and a bottle of wine. But as for normal pubs I will give it a good couple of weeks for it to calm down and get the novelty value out of the way. Even then I may only head to have a pint outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    It would seem to me to be a joyless and pointless experience, certainly not for me.
    This is the crux of it for me personally. I understand the need to get out and spend money at these places but it just doesn’t seem like it will be an enjoyable experience currently so I’d rather not bother. Same with going on holiday though that has more attendant issues potentially.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I, against my better judgement, was forced to go to my locak IKEA on Sunday afternoon.. left it late in the day hoping the crowds would have thinned, but still a queue to get in and people just sauntering around like it was a super happy family afternoon and no cares in the world despite the signs up at the entrance asking you to stick to groups of no more than two and observe social distancing. Reality of course was large groups, no masks on anywhere, social distancing totally optional. But then no staff wearing masks either which I find hard to digest honestly.

I short-cutted to the warehouse, mask on, clinging to the walls and skirting round groups of people as best as I could but it was extremely difficult.

I just can't fathom why seemingly half the population are locked up at home and terrified to go out, whilst another half are, seemingly, completely unconcerned and oblivious and just going on as if nothing ever happened. It must be a tremendous psychological study opportunity.

Walked past my local this morning. The lights were on and they were obviously getting everything prepared. They have a beer garden but don't appear to have done anything with that yet, but inside they have put yellow and black tape crosses on many of the seats. Not sure how that will stop anyone sitting on them!

Anyway, I won't be trying to find out anytime soon.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    I'm off to my local on Thursday to help them put their marquee up in the garden. Our's is a very successful, busy pub & will survive this but I fear there will be many hundreds that will never reopen.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post

I just can't fathom why seemingly half the population are locked up at home and terrified to go out, whilst another half are, seemingly, completely unconcerned and oblivious and just going on as if nothing ever happened. It must be a tremendous psychological study opportunity.
    Weird one isn't it. And age has nothing to do with it. I know people in their 40's barely leaving the house, and still disinfecting parcels and food deliveries. Then I've 93 year old grandparents that think everyone's gone potty and who go out almost every day.

Personally, having friends who've tested positive and are fine I'm in the unconcerned group. Not that I'm oblivious, or think nothing ever happened – I just accept that life brings risks.

I'm of the opinion that the UK's approach to dealing with the virus will ultimately cause more harm to the population's long term health than the virus itself, through poverty, bankruptcy, mental health, lack of education, lack of regular exercise, missed and cancelled medical procedures, and so on.

So when the pubs open, I'll be joining some friends for a pint. Because if we don't the pubs won't be in business when the rest of the nation wants to go for a Christmas drink.

Cheers.