closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phillips Geneva auction prices achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Lady from Rolex was identified as bidding on Comex 1680 and pre-Daytona chronograph, and naughty dealer bid prices right up.
    Thats interesting. Does Rolex maintain a museum, like Omega and others, where pieces like these might be headed or is it pure price-fixing do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Thats interesting. Does Rolex maintain a museum, like Omega and others, where pieces like these might be headed or is it pure price-fixing do you think?
    Rolex has been buying significant pieces for some years, but their knowledge and appreciation of vintage dials especially appears to be imperfect. There is no public museum, but they are obviously building a collection even if it is for private purposes such as impressing visiting VIPs, main agents etc.

I think they bought a 5517 from Dowling some years back. It might even have been a correct one.

I don't believe there would be any attempt by Rolex to price-fix, no. Frankly, I think they find the vintage market and values a headache at times -- and largely irrelevant to their current market. As I have suggested, though, naughty third parties may try to inflate prices if they see that Rolex is bidding on a piece.

H

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Rolex has been buying significant pieces for some years, but their knowledge and appreciation of vintage dials especially appears to be imperfect. There is no public museum, but they are obviously building a collection even if it is for private purposes such as impressing visiting VIPs, main agents etc.

I think they bought a 5517 from Dowling some years back. It might even have been a correct one.

I don't believe there would be any attempt by Rolex to price-fix, no. Frankly, I think they find the vintage market and values a headache at times -- and largely irrelevant to their current market. As I have suggested, though, naughty third parties may try to inflate prices if they see that Rolex is bidding on a piece.

H

They have a museum in Acacias HQ apparently. With the original Wilsdorf & Davis sign from London, all Wilsdorfs old books and notes etc... and I guess a ton of prototypes etc. I was told we would get to see it on the 2nd or 3rd course, i.e Daytona and YM2 etc... Sadly Covid19 put a spanner in the works for now but if I ever get in there I'll let you know what's inside...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    They have a museum in Acacias HQ apparently. With the original Wilsdorf & Davis sign from London, all Wilsdorfs old books and notes etc... and I guess a ton of prototypes etc. I was told we would get to see it on the 2nd or 3rd course, i.e Daytona and YM2 etc... Sadly Covid19 put a spanner in the works for now but if I ever get in there I'll let you know what's inside...
    That really would be an exceptional experience. I hope you get there and might be able to tell us something, at least, of what treasure lie therein! You just know they'll do it in the most polished style --- no tea in a mug there...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    That would be quite an experience for sure! If photos are allowed, please do take some and share with us

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    it’s quite possible. However I am sure the auction houses are fully compliant with the law. Their customers on the other hand might not be, but what’s the different between this and spending millions on artworks.
    The main being there are far more watches available than high end art of particular pieces.

Money laundering 100%.....It can work the other way too,selling items cheap to get hands on clean money with a very transparent transaction.....could happen anywhere!,even on here perhaps.

Its a big bad bad world out there.