closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 48hrs (twice) in Bangkok...what to do

Craftsman

48hrs (twice) in Bangkok...what to do

Am off to Krabi in November for 10 days and have 48hrs each side in Bangkok. Can anyone suggest the best things to see and do when there please.

We’re in Sukhamvit for 3 days and Riverside for 2 days. Looking at staying at the Lebua and Compass Skyview at each location.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=bangkok

just search for Bangkok or Thailand

(The ladyboys that are always at the Edinburgh Festival are supposed to be great - so could be fantastic at home?)

I'm very close through my family to the Thai Government. As you probably know no foreigners are currently allowed into the country unless they have special dispensation. Even people with thai permanent residency aren't allowed in. Regarding tourism there is a plan to allow bubbles from Taiwan, China, New Zealand and Australia. It is expected that British holidaymakers will not be allowed in until 2021 at the earliest unless they have special dispensation or are the spouse of a Thai national. Even with dispensation there is a 14 day mandatory quarantine at a government facility.

Apologies for pissing on your chips but I think it is only fair to point out that your holiday won't be happening and to make sure you have insurance to cover for the definite cancellation that will happen.

Master
    This has got to be a wind up...............love you long time member of TZ asking for recommendations of best things to see and do in Bangkok in the G&D

Trip advisor etc may be a far better place for recommendations'

Craftsman
    Thanks, but I’ve had the sense to book last minute cancellation hotels and flexible BC flights.

I’ll just use Google in future.

The world's your oyster. The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    This has got to be a wind up...............love you long time member of TZ asking for recommendations of best things to see and do in Bangkok in the G&D

Trip advisor etc may be a far better place for recommendations'
    Why is it so outlandish? Don't you think a bunch of socially awkward, middle aged, middle class Caucasian men might be the perfect people to ask about Bangkok?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Why is it so outlandish? Don't you think a bunch of socially awkward, middle aged, middle class Caucasian men might be the perfect people to ask about Bangkok?
    Not if the member has been here 11 years, in which case he is expected to know the rules, and that considering the nature of the destination and its image, the BP would be a better place to ask middle class Caucasian men
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

To be fair the Western image of Thailand is unfair. It is perpetrated by certain groups of western men (primarily UK, German, Russian and Dutch) and the ladies are a very specific group from the poor North East of the country (supplemented by Cambodians and Burmese). It is a massive shame that this type of activity is seen as representative of the country. It isn't. It is a tiny tiny microcosm. And it is shameful that groups of men indulge in this too as they let themselves down.

I know Ryan, it was a joke, more aimed at the demographic here than Thailand.

Blog Entries
    Been a lot of years since i was in Bangkok but the best thing i have ever done was to go to the Bridge on the river Kwai both emotive and interesting

My cat bought down the road from the Shangri-La says hello

I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Been a lot of years since i was in Bangkok but the best thing i have ever done was to go to the Bridge on the river Kwai both emotive and interesting

This is a very good shout. The town is called Kanchanaburi and is a poignant monument to just how horrible humans can be to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I know Ryan, it was a joke, more aimed at the demographic here than Thailand.
    Ah yes fair enough. And true lol

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post

Did you take the train over the bridge ? we did it was really good and when the train stopped over the other side we had a elephant ride which took us through the jungle and into the river, I was amazed how the elephant climbed out of the river up a steep slippery bank.

We also visited the cemeteries which was very emotive.

We stayed in Cha-am and visited some local fishing lakes and all the family had a great time, lovely place to holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    To be fair the Western image of Thailand is unfair. It is perpetrated by certain groups of western men (primarily UK, German, Russian and Dutch) and the ladies are a very specific group from the poor North East of the country (supplemented by Cambodians and Burmese). It is a massive shame that this type of activity is seen as representative of the country. It isn't. It is a tiny tiny microcosm. And it is shameful that groups of men indulge in this too as they let themselves down.
    What is not a joke is the military regime. So I suggest we leave both Patpong and the junta out of the G&D.

Your post Ryan should really be the end of this thread. The stopovers in Bangkok will not happen in 2020.

Craftsman
    I'm very well travelled and until about 15 years ago used to do the elephant/donkey etc rides until I discovered the truth behind them.

https://expertvagabond.com/elephants-in-thailand/

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What is not a joke is the military regime. So I suggest we leave both Patpong and the junta out of the G&D.

Your post Ryan should really be the end of this thread. The stopovers in Bangkok will not happen in 2020.
    So extremely close family friends on Mrs Ryanb741s side are leading pillars of said junta. Naturally I'm not going to comment other than I've taken what I feel is a balanced, objective view of things and I believe that looking at the country Thailand is today vs what it was when the Junta took over during all the instability (red shirt vs Yellow shirt etc) and I believe today's Thailand is a better one for its inhabitants. Of course nothing is ever perfect and nobody is pretending that continual improvement isn't possible or being worked towards. The country's COVID19 response has been phenomenal. I'll not say more as this isn't the forum for it as you rightly pointed out.

Thailand is an amazing country and I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to get beneath the surface. It has also helped me appreciate the great things about the UK more as well. Sadly the OP won't be going there any time soon but this is for safety and health reasons and I'm sure he will have an amazing holiday there in 2021

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Not if the member has been here 11 years, in which case he is expected to know the rules, and that considering the nature of the destination and its image, the BP would be a better place to ask middle class Caucasian men
    What rules? It was a genuine question. Remind members to never ask questions about Amsterdam
    or Vegas then.

For clarity I’ll be travelling (or not as the jury has declared) with the other half and we both have no interest in seeing the “local sights” as obviously referred to above.

Grand Palace and the floating market it is then.

Thailand is great - Bangkok is amazing.

Would I attempt to travel there this year - NO. Restrictions on access and quarantine etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

48hrs (twice) in Bangkok...what to do

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    What rules? It was a genuine question. Remind members to never ask questions about Amsterdam
    or Vegas then.

For clarity I’ll be travelling (or not as the jury has declared) with the other half and we both have no interest in seeing the “local sights” as obviously referred to above.

Grand Palace and the floating market it is then.
    My answer was in the spirit of the post above mine. Unfortunately the forum’s “wink” emoji is hard to find, hard to decipher and quite ugly so I use it a lot less than I should.

PS: if you’ve never been, Wat Po or/and Wat Pra Keo should be on your list.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 27th June 2020 at 23:28.

Craftsman
    I love Bangkok. It's in my top five. Whenever we travel to Thailand we always try to have a few days either side there. In the past, we have stayed in Sukhamvit and utilised the Sky train with an all day pass. An efficient and clean way to get about.

I have avoided the river cruise so far as the OH wanted to see the floating market which is not for me. Had a great time just generally getting off the beaten track and soaking up the local sights, smells and culture.

To the OP I sincerely hope your trip goes ahead and at least you have had the foresight to be flexible if not.

Cheers,

J

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=bangkok

just search for Bangkok or Thailand

(The ladyboys that are always at the Edinburgh Festival are supposed to be great - so could be fantastic at home?)
    Gobble gobble

Sorry, I'll get my cost. Thailand is somewhere I've always wanted to visit and if I'd not ended up with my life revolving round the Philippines I feel I'd have ended up in that neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Gobble gobble

Sorry, I'll get my cost. Thailand is somewhere I've always wanted to visit and if I'd not ended up with my life revolving round the Philippines I feel I'd have ended up in that neck of the woods.
    It’s a regular show - gets great reviews.

https://www.ladyboysofbangkok.co.uk/

Youtube is an enormous mine of info about Thailand and Bangkok.