closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer hols ,do we write off this year

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    And you are also forgiven then
    Take it lighthearted, as I agree entirely with your post.

My wife nipped abroad last week and absolutely no issues travelling or otherwise, as if mainland Europe has somewhat returned to normal.

Master
    It's ok you are forgiven. Of course you weren't seeking forgiveness it was just another opportunity to have a dig as you frequently do. Probably a hangover from one of the Brexit threads or whatever. (And I forgive you for that too).

Re my views they have changed now that the virus situation has changed. I was correct at the time regarding the severity of the virus when people like you were laughing and saying it was like flu and I'm correct now in that risks remain but by taking precautions we don't have to trash our economy and live in a bunker.
    Wrong dog, wrong fight. Not on Brexit threads. Not had a dig at you before, or any members was simply checking you were the same person - a few hacked accounts recently.

Never commented about it being like flu, always knew it was worse. You are clearly confusing me with others. I understood the severity from the start, it’s my industry.

I bet the weight of that chip is heavy; change shoulders often.

Master
    Away to Tallinn this Sunday morning for a week. Been several times in the last few years. I do like the Baltic States. May possibly get the ferry to Helsinki for a couple of days.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nchester-visit

an example of what can happen if you fly for no reason other then”felt like visiting the family"

We postponed our Baltic cruise this summer until next year - the cruise line moved our deposit.

Just heard the cruise line has now gone bust. So sad for them and their people.

I suspect many more will go the same way...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

an example of what can happen if you fly for no reason other then”felt like visiting the family"
    There is no evidence the flight was the transmission vector. I worry about our ability to cope as a species if we let fear override everything

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

Not sure if the implication in the story is that - they contracted it in Manchester? I’d say that air-travel was the source in whatever direction and may have been from a resident of either Germany or UK.

I think people would do well to avoid air travel unless of utmost importance, as you imply.

But - your average sun-seeking Brit, will pay scant regard to that, or the continued vigilance/distancing/hygiene abroad.

Blog Entries
    There is no evidence the flight was the transmission vector. I worry about our ability to cope as a species if we let fear override everything
    I think he meant it was the result of travelling, not the flight itself. The flight was simply the method of travel to the place where they were infected with the virus, which they then took home to their family.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    As my Caribbean cruise was cut short and my 50th boys trip to Vegas cancelled, We’ve bitten the bullet and booked - heading south on Sunday. About 62 miles. Booked two nights near St Austell. Thought we’d do Eden, Lost Gardens and Charlestown. Been a while since I’ve done them. Going over the border is always risky for a Devonshire lad but I’m sure I’ll be fine :-)

Master
    Much to our disappointment we are going to leave it until Xmas and then think about getting away for Easter.

This will be the first year we don't go to Hawaii because of Covid19.

Normally we don't go because we can't afford it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    As my Caribbean cruise was cut short and my 50th boys trip to Vegas cancelled, We’ve bitten the bullet and booked - heading south on Sunday. About 62 miles. Booked two nights near St Austell. Thought we’d do Eden, Lost Gardens and Charlestown. Been a while since I’ve done them. Going over the border is always risky for a Devonshire lad but I’m sure I’ll be fine :-)
    Best of luck. Very edgy. Love Heligan. Try Lanhydrock too.

Master
    We’re travelling Scotland to the Lake District in England, is that a foreign holiday? No doubt nippy Nicola would say so, happy to spend some money in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I think he meant it was the result of travelling, not the flight itself. The flight was simply the method of travel to the place where they were infected with the virus, which they then took home to their family.
    Sure but the clickbait Guardian article had a pic of a plane so the implication is that is what caused it. Our media have been appalling imho

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Never been there. I’ll look into it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Never been there. I’ll look into it.
    The walk up to the house from Respryn is just plain lovely. Courting territory.

Grand Master
    I’ve written this year off for overseas travel, I would've enjoyed a week or two in Spain later in the year but there’s no way I’ll do it. I don’t need foreign holidays, I can do without for a year or so. As the events of recent days have shown, the situation can change rapidly, those who choose to travel overseas must accept this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Lost Gardens are amazing - if you have time, Tintagel is worth a visit.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    4 nights in Llandudno for me now, no trips abroad as I've been watching the news, there's a global pandemic caused in a large part by global travel.

Craftsman
    As shown over the last few days I guess this situation in Spain (and other countries) will continue for a long time - quarantines, lockdowns, etc coming and going until some sort of treatment is developed. I saw Nicola Sturgeon was re affirm her opinion/advice about staying safe by holidaying at home and in the process help boost the Scottish economy. I have to say that I like that idea but, having said that, I have just returned from a 2 week camping trip to France. For those who are considering anything similar -

I went with Brittany Ferries. The ferry was running a very reduced capacity and the was very calm and quiet on board. Very organised and so much space that social distancing was easy.

My first campsite was fairly busy and it if it hadn't been for signs everywhere you could have assumed that there was no pandemic - a bit strange. Lots of additional cleaning of shared spaces but people were going about their business as usual.

Supermarkets and shops - most people wore masks and I think it is now compulsory in all French shops.

We were outside most of the time and at no time did I feel 'at risk' from other peoples behaviour.

I am conscious that the more we mix the more risky it becomes but at this moment, on balance, I think I would like spend our money if we can afford to and maybe pay a little back.

Master
    Booked to do the North Coast 500 by car over 9 days and looking forward to that, assuming travel the short distance across the border remains ok.

I've a stag do/golfing trip to Turkey in October and can't say I'm that keen so wouldn't complain if that was cancelled!

Seems a bit odd to me that people who have been on (paid) holiday for nearly 3 months are desperate to exercise their inalienable right to have a foreign vacation.
    Just throwing it out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Seems a bit odd to me that people who have been on (paid) holiday for nearly 3 months are desperate to exercise their inalienable right to have a foreign vacation.
    Just throwing it out there.
    I'd agree, although the Govt have recommended getting back to normal and the FCO above for most countries is no longer limited to essential travel. Also worth bearing in mind that lots of people have worked through, including many teachers who can't take leave outside of non- term time (and are due back in the classrooms in Sept without the masks that the Govt recommend for all public spaces!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Our yearly golf trip to Spain was cancelled a couple of weeks ago Dave. I wasn’t at all disappointed on this occasion!
    Pleased for you . Turkey wasn't my choice when we booked it early this year but the majority wanted it and preferred to stick with it when we were offered a delay till next year a couple of months back. Ordinarily I'd have bailed at that point but I've known the stag a long time and won't be attending his foreign wedding so felt obliged. We'll see how it pans out but I'm expecting the advice to change re Turkey at some point so the timing will be crucial...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Booked to do the North Coast 500 by car over 9 days and looking forward to that, assuming travel the short distance across the border remains ok.

I've a stag do/golfing trip to Turkey in October and can't say I'm that keen so wouldn't complain if that was cancelled!
    Our yearly golf trip to Spain was cancelled a couple of weeks ago Dave. I wasn’t at all disappointed on this occasion!

We’ve rolled the flights over to this time next year and will have a blow out then if things are back to normal...

Blog Entries
    Just looked to see I I could book a 3-4 day break next week…. As the opportunity to take another short break has arisen

Have searched everywhere i can think of…. There is zip, nada, nothing worth booking

Clearly the UK is popular

If anyone knows of a small cottage/ bolt hole somewhere nice available next week…. Between Monday and Friday I am all ears!

SydR
    Mrs Syd and I have booked a week, in late August, at a loch side log cabin in the Highlands. Still too risky to go abroad with flash quarantine restrictions.

Nice and remote with plenty of place for trail running and mountain biking.

Mrs H and I have just chartered a yacht to sail around the Saronic Gulf in Greece in early September with another couple. I'm hoping it will be OK, but it isn't risk free from a quarantine perspective, and although I don't wish to write off the costs, it is a possibility. I think the quarantine risk is going to be with us for a year regardless. Optimistically, I'm bidding for a holiday dive watch from eBay!

D

Sent from my Chromebook using Tapatalk

Last Christmas (hmm could be a good song title) I decided that an early 2020 break somewhere hot was in order, covid19 stuffed that idea, in the interests of safety regarding family, friends and not wishing to impact further on our health resources - bugger it, there's always next year.
    Last edited by number2; 30th July 2020 at 08:13.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

We’ve been invited to join another couple on their super yacht in the Aegean but have declined, there’s no way we are getting into a plane in the foreseeable future.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    We’ve been invited to join another couple on their super yacht in the Aegean but have declined, there’s no way we are getting into a plane in the foreseeable future.

R
    I have to admit I am not keen on getting into a plane either because of the close proximity to others etc. However none of us seem to know how many people get infected on an aircraft, so in reality, it could be less dangerous than we think.

I have not heard of any flying staff being infected, so is it all in our heads ?

Interesting analysis of transmission in 3 actual scenarios, Office, Restaurant, Bus, on an aircraft unfortunately not included but it does provide food for thought...I'd imagine that IF you keep a mask/face shield on, deploy copious and regular hand sanitizing and aren't really unlucky ie happen to be sitting next to/ close to a super spreader with appalling manners/hygiene then you'd probably be O.K. on a plane...maybe, whether it's worth the hassle and aggravations another aspect

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...e-avoided.html
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th July 2020 at 08:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have to admit I am not keen on getting into a plane either because of the close proximity to others etc. However none of us seem to know how many people get infected on an aircraft, so in reality, it could be less dangerous than we think.

I have not heard of any flying staff being infected, so is it all in our heads ?
    For me it's the whole shebang: Travel to the airport, check-in, security, departure lounge, boarding, cabin, repeat.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-53544345
    Last edited by number2; 30th July 2020 at 08:58.

We've decided to book train tickets to Scotland in early September. The intention is to spend a couple of days in Edinburgh and go out to the highlands the rest of the week.

Fingers crossed no lockdown around that time.

Interestingly most weekend train tickets to Edinburgh in August have been booked up.

Master
    For me it's the whole shebang: Travel to the airport, check-in, security, departure lounge, boarding, cabin, repeat.

R
    That’s my issue also, cancelled a personal trip in a couple of weeks time for the very reason. Amusingly, well frustratingly really, work are wanting to fly to the nordics to run a workshop.

Yes it’s better over there as they keep telling me, but don’t seem to get the other aspects of the travel & other passengers. Feel ill just thinking about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    There are hundreds of flights every day with about 6 crew on board, so one case hardly indicates an epidemic down to air travel.

I wouldn't chance flying until at least next year but my eldest son is in Kefalonia now.

He booked and paid for it pre-Covid and he has a private villa.

Hope he is OK.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

There are hundreds of flights every day with about 6 crew on board, so one case hardly indicates an epidemic down to air travel.
    I didn't say that it did, I merely responded to the statement that no aircrew had been affected.

R

Could you forward my contact details to them please Ralph? ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Not bothered about not going abroad for a few years. Never go to Europe anyway. Mostly long haul. Will borrow a spare house in Devon later this year and do self catering rather than eat out I think.

Craftsman
    UK holiday for me this year, a week in a cottage in North Yorkshire followed by a week in a cottage on the coast in mid September. Plenty of options for walking and cycling far from the madding crowds from both locations and it's an area we haven't explored so hopefully lots to discover even if the indoor tourist attractions in the area aren't open.

We'll be taking our own bedding/towels and stuff to disinfect/sanitise surfaces, just as importantly, plenty of booze and culinary treats will be loaded into the jalopy so if the weather is a bit iffy we can hunker down and get quietly sloshed.

We had been planning on doing a trip to India this year but I can't foresee long-haul travel being on my personal agenda for a couple of years at least.

Cheers

Ian

Corner of a mate’s farm for us. Really enjoying the simple life!

From CNN earlier. At least we have some options over here! I still don't think we're going on a plane this year although it is tempting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Corner of a mate’s farm for us. Really enjoying the simple life!

Looks great 👍🏼. Have a good break!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I didn't say that it did, I merely responded to the statement that no aircrew had been affected.
    All it said that some chap who was an aircraft pilot caught the virus. The chances are that he caught it doing normal things such as raving it up in a night club chasing crumpet or buying his groceries in a supermarket. There was no reference to him catching it on a plane or catching it from a colleague.

It proves nothing either way and there seems no accurate information is being published about how safe/dangerous aircraft travel is.

Blog Entries
    All it said that some chap who was an aircraft pilot caught the virus. The chances are that he caught it doing normal things such as raving it up in a night club chasing crumpet or buying his groceries in a supermarket. There was no reference to him catching it on a plane or catching it from a colleague.

It proves nothing either way and there seems no accurate information is being published about how safe/dangerous aircraft travel is.
    How close to people would you be on an aircraft? Would you be happy sitting that close to that many people in a small enclosed space? Do you really need everything spelled out for you by government, or can you make your own decisions on your safety?
    I for one won't be flying anywhere in the near future. If you want to, good luck.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    How close to people would you be on an aircraft? Would you be happy sitting that close to that many people in a small enclosed space? Do you really need everything spelled out for you by government, or can you make your own decisions on your safety?
    I for one won't be flying anywhere in the near future. If you want to, good luck.
    Simon Calder who is the BBCs resident holiday expert stated a few days ago that aircraft travel was very safe. I accept that it was something of an open statement, he has often said breaching the 2m safe distance is dangerous but if you are "safe" sitting next to a total stranger in an aircraft then there must be something to back that up.

So far none of us know nothing.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Simon Calder who is the BBCs resident holiday expert stated a few days ago that aircraft travel was very safe. I accept that it was something of an open statement, he has often said breaching the 2m safe distance is dangerous but if you are "safe" sitting next to a total stranger in an aircraft then there must be something to back that up.

So far none of us know nothing.
    The air filters on planes are usually high quality HEPA filters plus,at the moment,they are being throughly cleaned and disinfected between flights. I am quite sure that in that regards they are as safe as one can expect. As long as other passengers wear masks and carry out the appropriate hygiene then I think that it would be fine to fly.
    Of course,you have to factor in whether an individual would feel comfortable sat in an aircraft with other passengers and, of course, the whole rigamarole of getting to/though/arriving at your destination.
    Personally I wouldn’t have a problem about being on a plane but I certainly couldn’t be arsed with the whole faff of flying at the moment.

This may or may not help ease some people's doubts with traveling on planes. 11 odd weeks ago I traveled Manchester - Amsterdam - San Paulo - Rio for work. Had 10 days in a hotel in Macae for quarantine where I had a swab and blood test before joining my rig. I flew home last Thursday after a night in Rio via Paris - Birmingham. I waited 48 hrs at home and conducted a swab test. Negative results came back on all tests. Most of the time on the plane I and others wore the surgical type masks and others the builder type one. Every plane I got on I did a quick wipe round with a antiseptic wipe on surfaces and that was it. Be careful not to touch your mouth area but there is always a risk of contamination from other surfaces, ie cutlery, glasses, plates etc. Sanitised hands as much as I thought necessary

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk