closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer hols ,do we write off this year

Summer hols ,do we write off this year

Having had a few flights cancelled and hotels saying there closed ,is it worth looking for something else or should we just scrap 2020.
    The news says places are opening but is it worth the risk,what will the resorts be like .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just booked a week in a house down in Devon for August - not expecting to go anywhere abroad this year
    While flights and holiday destinations may open up, who knows what will happen and whether lockdown will be reimposed / could get stranded in another country if it happens at that time

Craftsman
    We have moved this year's holiday in Menorca to next year. I think it's too early and too many unknowns.
    We are waiting to see what happens later in the year and make a decision then but I think everyone will be doing this.
    Will probably look at staying in the UK.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Earliest i have booked is my two weeks in Spain at Christmas but even that could be cancelled.

Personally, we have written this year off for overseas travel - not settled enough yet for it to be a serious consideration.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I’m probably off to France in late July. Driving and via Eurostar, holiday park with our own caravan. Everything booked via credit card if the travel restrictions come back in ( looks like they will be lifted soon for France and a few other countries.)

Planning on staying away from elderly parents for a couple of weeks when we get back...

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    I’m probably off to France in late July. Driving and via Eurostar, holiday park with our own caravan. Everything booked via credit card if the travel restrictions come back in ( looks like they will be lifted soon for France and a few other countries.)

Planning on staying away from elderly parents for a couple of weeks when we get back...
    Hopefully keep away from anyone elderly/vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hopefully keep away from anyone elderly/vulnerable.
    Yes - that’s the plan.

Master
    We travel a lot, both in the U.K. and abroad and would love to be travelling right now. We’ve just decided to do nothing for now as everything seems to change so much on a weekly basis.

Luckily where we live it’s a bit like being on holiday in summer anyway so for now there’s no particular need.

I’m hoping that we can have some winter sun, but not holding out for it.

Master
    The killer for me is the thought of being being crammed into an aircraft for a few hours on a return journey, bit high risk to say the least.

The wife and I haven't got a clue what to do, we want to return home, but the thought of an aircraft journey for a 71yr/68yr couple isn't appealing.

We could leave it to the winter when the aircraft isn't as packed as in the summer but then the chances are that the virus will be worse than now. Bit of a bummer to say the least.

Master
    I’d say Mick at 71 not to take an unnecessary risks right now and see how it plays out. A few months down the road the picture may well be a lot clearer, so for now just enjoy the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The killer for me is the thought of being being crammed into an aircraft for a few hours on a return journey, bit high risk to say the least.

The wife and I haven't got a clue what to do, we want to return home, but the thought of an aircraft journey for a 71yr/68yr couple isn't appealing.

We could leave it to the winter when the aircraft isn't as packed as in the summer but then the chances are that the virus will be worse than now. Bit of a bummer to say the least.

Master

Think about September / October when the kids are hopefully back at school, but before it gets cold again

Bummer indeed and you're completely right not to take the risk. See what happens from September onwards and hopefully you get a chance to come home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Think about September / October when the kids are hopefully back at school, but before it gets cold again
    We already have a flight booked for mid October so hopefully we will come back then.

All sounds too stressful for me - might book a cottage in middle of nowhere in the UK later in year depending on situation - but actually fly overseas? Forget it.

As with others we are debating some time in the UK or even Ireland by ferry much later in the summer but no chance of getting on a plane. Not before Easter at the earliest and possibly not even then.

Master
    I certainly would not fly to Florida, that must be akin to a suicide trip.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Personally, we have written this year off for overseas travel - not settled enough yet for it to be a serious consideration.
    Same here, even if travel is allowed I can’t see holidays overseas being much fun until normality resumes. I made no holiday plans this year, I was supposedly buying a house but that didn’t happen.

We’ll see what next year brings.

Master
    For those thinking of staying in the UK - booking a cottage for example - do you think things in the area will be open? For example, will you be able to get onto a beach or will that be subject to some sort of booking system as well?
    Asking as have been looking at booking somewhere and then thought ‘I wonder what’ll be open?’

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Same here, even if travel is allowed I can’t see holidays overseas being much fun until normality resumes. I made no holiday plans this year, I was supposedly buying a house but that didn’t happen.

We’ll see what next year brings.
    I bet you're happy you didn't go with a bridging loan for that bungalow now. Lucky escape there I bet.

Master
    North coast of NI for a week in August. Would not be keen to travel by air for a while yet.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We Are booked to travel via coach to northern Spain at the end of August. All up in the air. The company are insisting we continue to pay for the holiday or lose the money we have already paid. Then when if they cancel it we get a credit note. No refund.

So we are hoping it goes ahead

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    For those thinking of staying in the UK - booking a cottage for example - do you think things in the area will be open? ’
    I plan to cook for myself and as long as you can walk fields and paths I'd be ok - I would not want to go to pubs or shops (except for supplies).

We were supposed to be going away on the 14th July to France.
    Better half was still up for it, I wasn't.
    Ferries just been cancelled so decision made, I'm quite relieved.
    All too soon for my liking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Two weeks on a yacht for me, sailing the Dutch in-land waters.

Master
    Just booked a week near Barcelona for a week in mid-september for the Mrs and I, hotel cancellable until the day before and Easyjet flights mid-week £40 going £15 coming home, so the downside is £110 (which we'd get back eventually), absolutely worth it to have something to look forward to.

I travel this year for us either. Normally, last week in July we’d be off somewhere in Asia and then returning via my place in India but am it going anywhere this year. Might look at maybe next Feb for a few weeks away at the earliest.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    For those thinking of staying in the UK - booking a cottage for example - do you think things in the area will be open? For example, will you be able to get onto a beach or will that be subject to some sort of booking system as well?
    Asking as have been looking at booking somewhere and then thought ‘I wonder what’ll be open?’
    I have around 10 days work in Stoke that I need to do, sooner rather than later. Been waiting for hotels to open and been wondering the same thing, places to eat for lunch and dinner, or will I be stuck in my room at night with a sandwich from the supermarket and a bottle of wine to wash it down.
    Will probably leave it a week or so after hotels open on the 4th to see how the land lies

Written off 2020 and possibly U.K. only next year.

Air travel was a pain, can you imagine how it will be now with the added precautions?

Whoppee!

Master
    Blog Entries
    We’ve written it off for this year, maybe get some camper trips done in the Autumn .

Next holiday will hopefully be a drive to a ski resort in Jan 21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Air travel was a pain, can you imagine how it will be now with the added precautions? Whoppee!
    I can understand the circumspection but the testimony re Heathrow at present in another thread is rather underlining how much easier it is right now - ten cleaners for every passenger, half-empty planes, straight through security, plenty of precautions, lots of carriers banning overhead luggage so boarding easier etc.

I mean, it's an avoidable risk to fly of course, but I'm not sure the experience would be worse than normal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Just booked a week near Barcelona for a week in mid-september for the Mrs and I, hotel cancellable until the day before and Easyjet flights mid-week £40 going £15 coming home, so the downside is £110 (which we'd get back eventually), absolutely worth it to have something to look forward to.
    Barcelona is a virus hot spot and along with Madrid is the most contagious city in Spain. I suggest a second think on that one.

I see that my original thread on holidaying in Spain has been moved from here to the BP, oh well C'est la vie.
    Last edited by Mick P; 27th June 2020 at 16:26.

I had a ferry booked on 4th July Harwich > Hook of Holland. A 3 week ride around Eastern Europe on my GSA.
    I’m still hoping to go in August.
    I’ve not re-booked the ferry yet though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We are going to the Lodge in August up in Wales with the grandkids that’s about it. We have booked an extravagant week long Cruise round the Greek islands with Silverseas next May so really looking forward to that.

Master
    Barcelona is a virus hot spot and along with Madrid is the most contagious city in Spain. I suggest a second think on that one.
    Still 10 weeks away, I'm happy with the choice.

I had five trips abroad cancelled but have kept the flight payments with the airlines and they're honouring them until Nov 2021.

I'd like to go and get some overseas work done, but at this point in time I doubt I'll be flying anywhere this year, so instead we will be doing some touring around the UK and maybe a Spain trip (via ferry) in October.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Written off 2020 and possibly U.K. only next year.

Air travel was a pain, can you imagine how it will be now with the added precautions?

Whoppee!
    Agreed post 911 sucked a lot of the fun out of it already, now the safeguards for covid/ the next virus, just adds to the chore and hassle tbh.

i can echo the general theme of the thread. No air travel planned for this year, just cant be doing with the risk and hassle with kids in tow.

That said, considering a 3 day Spain trip for golf just 4 of us towards October, had one cancelled this year and have a credit at Golfbreaks, dunno, just waiting to see how things pal out, still very up in the air if you ask me and i'm in no rush to get sandwiched in on a coughing and spluttering tin can of the sky.

We've gone from saying absolutely no to any overseas travel, to thinking that our usual French caravan holiday in an isolated area near a huge swimming lake and river, might actually be safer than a holiday let in the UK where the towns, roads and shops will most likely be rammed and locals might not be welcoming strangers from the city?

Too early to tell and it will all be last minute if it does happen.

All of my holidays cancelled for this year. Not booking anything at all for now. I will wait until things get back to normal. If they will at all that is...

I'm still thinking of the Canary Isles in the autumn but I'll see how the land lies nearer the time. I have to say I'm not overly concerned about the risks of catching the virus. Both my parents and petal's parents are gone, and we don't routinely come into contact with vulnerable people. I've two UK trips booked, one on the 17th July. Not seeing the risks as elevated above existing here to be honest - still have to shop etc. I appreciate I'm potentially increasing the pool of people I could asymptomatically spread it to.

yep everything written off, and happy to stay home rest of this year , slightly vunerable status so better forgo this year to survive and be here to enjoy next :-), would not even consider seasides visits in this country seeing the pictures of crowded beaches & resorts!

We had Gran Canaria booked September, we'll forfeit the deposit probably. Got a motorhome so we can always go away for a bit but tbh we feel we have been on holiday/enforced retirement for 3 months so not desperate to get away.

Master
    We have a cottage booked in Norfolk for end of aug and the local pub will allegedly be open

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    I had a ferry booked on 4th July Harwich > Hook of Holland. A 3 week ride around Eastern Europe on my GSA.
    I’m still hoping to go in August.
    I’ve not re-booked the ferry yet though.

What ferry has been cancelled? Looked like they were all ramping up for 1st July. BF site has been crashed for 2 days, it seems as everyone is clammering to get booked. Same with tunnel - booking site timing out and taking an age to get booked.

[edit: There could still be restrictions in place before 6th July]

Three planned trips trashed so far....once I’m more confident, and crucially for me, able to insure I’ll look at last minute bookings.
    I’m considering any overseas travel this year a bonus....shame as I was looking forward to 2020!

Master
    Written off 2020, I’ve upgraded my barbecue instead.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What ferry has been cancelled? Looked like they were all ramping up for 1st July. BF site has been crashed for 2 days, it seems as everyone is clammering to get booked. Same with tunnel - booking site timing out and taking an age to get booked.

[edit: There could still be restrictions in place before 6th July]
    Tunnel site was down for much of yesterday, but seems to be okay today.

Master
    Yep another write off here too. Air travel is just going to be an enormous hassle I can do without for a few months

We were due to go to Greece in August, that isn’t going to happen and currently have no intention of flying this year.

Will stick to UK based walking holidays in the Lake District and probably Snowdonia. Stay in a remote cottage, eat in during the evening and only venture to a pub garden, rather than eating or drinking inside.