closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which SeaDweller would you recommend ?

Which SeaDweller would you recommend ?

If you was toying with buying a SeaDweller to be your "one" watch and to be a daily wearer without breaking the bank financially which model would you go for and expect to pay ?

As it would be a daily wearer it wouldent be a deal breaker and perhaps preferred if it showed normal signs of wear but not abuse so a safe queen not needed.

The 16600 probably has wider availability and is frequently available in the £7k to £8k range. The SDc 4000 has become highly desirable and you will struggle to find one of those below £10k. Then there's the SD43 which is a similar price to the SDc 4000 but a bit bigger and has the cyclops.

Obviously going back the vintage models are more desirable still, but prices are even higher on those.

I think as a daily wearer and the best VFM is a nice 16600 in my opinion.

I agree. I bought a 16600 as a daily wearer. Affordable ( relatively ), pretty tough and repairable/serviceable. I can wear it without worrying too much. Not too big and blingy for me.

I would have preferred an older vintage one but this is much more practical.

Mark

Had and again now own three, a 1994 16600 SD, a 2010 116660 DSSD and a 2018 Rolex SD43 126600.

All three are completely different in how they wear and feel on the wrist though all can be worn with suit or jeans.

The 16600 is without a shadow of doubt a true classic that IMHO flys under the radar.

The 116660 feels bomb proof and has real presence.

I am fortunate enough to have my 126600 as my daily wearer and the only reason that this is preferred to the others is the Cyclops eye. This could seem controversial as the true traditionalist will point out that the SD was never intended to have one though for me the larger dial size and the Cyclops aid my 56 year old sight.

If eyesight were not an issue then I would probably go for the DSSD.

Regards.

Keith.
    Last edited by carlyrox; 26th June 2020 at 20:30. Reason: SD43

If you don't have huge gorilla wrists the 16600 is almost perfect but comes with the older style bracelet and clasp. If you want either of the ceramic SD models they're quite expensive now so might possibly be worth looking at a DSSD 116660. Depends how much money breaks your bank.

1. 1665
    2. 16660
    3. 16600
    4. 116600
    5. 126600

I wouldn’t bother with the 116660 because it’s way to big and to thick, but if you have 9” wrists buy Panerai Sub.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks all the 16600 was what I was thinking because I like the look and as you say availability and price.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The 16600 probably has wider availability and is frequently available in the £7k to £8k range. The SDc 4000 has become highly desirable and you will struggle to find one of those below £10k. Then there's the SD43 which is a similar price to the SDc 4000 but a bit bigger and has the cyclops.

Obviously going back the vintage models are more desirable still, but prices are even higher on those.

I think as a daily wearer and the best VFM is a nice 16600 in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I wouldn’t bother with the 116660 because it’s way to big and to thick,
    We'll agree to differ on that!

SDc 4000 would be my choice but for a daily wearer (at current market values) probably the 16600 would sneak my vote. It won't disappoint.

Craftsman
    116600 is king but anything 40mm is great!

Would there be anything in particular to look for ? year ? service history ? full box/papers ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Would there be anything in particular to look for ? year ? service history ? full box/papers ?
    If it's a daily wearer, a recent service would be nice. What you don't want is something overpolished so maybe a later (post 2000, say) than earlier. B&P, again, nice to have but for a wearer, not really worth paying a massive premium for.

The 16600 has been out of production for a good few years now (8+ years?), so any watch will be ready for a service if it's not already been done. Be careful of people who tell you it's running fine therefore it doesn't need a service or there is no evidence to back up claims of a service, the usual 'our guy on site sorted it'.

I recently paid £480 for a Rolex accredited independent to carry out a full movement service on a 16600. They cleaned the case and bracelet, but no other work or polishing was done. You may need to factor this in if buying.

I agree that box and papers is less important if going to be a daily wearer and will help keep the price down. As always the price will be the sum of the parts. A mint full set with recent service history will cost £8k or more.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    We'll agree to differ on that!

SDc 4000 would be my choice but for a daily wearer (at current market values) probably the 16600 would sneak my vote. It won't disappoint.
    I love my SD’s (I own a 1665, and previously owned 16660 and 16600) and twice tried on the 116660, I even had approval from the wife to buy. Alas it simply was to to big, to heavy, to thick and to uncomfortable to wear (for me). Interestingly my brother bought one, kept for a couple of years and then for the same reasons traded it in for a Batman.

Horses for courses.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    16600 is without doubt the pick for value.
    Quite a bit of choice within that model too.
    Don't get a safe queen and wear it with no worries.
    Tough as old boots

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suppose any model within the range is special but for me the standout is the first ceramic model 116600. With its case shape, Rolex military style bezel of old Insert and very short production run. A watch to watch (pardon the pun) in years to come. However, if you have the money a double red 1665 trumps all.

M

Banned
    I’d probably agree that the 116600 is the seadweller to go for. It ticks every box for me best size (40mm), modern bracelet glide lock, ceramic bezel, very low production(2-3 years of production I think) no Cyclops unlike the newer model. The only thing is you’ll need around 10k plus. That could be the deal breaker I guess

Master
    I haven't physically looked at the 116600 and the 16600 side by side, but from pics, bracelet, technical specifications of the case and the short production run, the favourite has to be the 116600. Don't worry about the higher price, that is just money in the bank which you will get back as the years roll by.

Master
    Wanted a 16600 for a while before holding one, then was unimpressed with the bracelet.
    Had a 116600 for a while which is a very good upgrade to the previous model
    Swapped out for the 12600 - had a couple of those which were probably the best but for me a bit dull - just like a big Sub
    Had my 116660 James Cameron now for 3 years, and whilst it is large, it is by far the most interesting - but all that is my opinion

Apprentice
    SD4000 with Mat dial. What a watch!

I haven’t handled them all, but have owned a 16600 and a 116600. For me it has to be the SDc. It’s a cracking watch and the only thing stopping me wearing it more is the worry of scratching / bashing something that’s increasing in value.

I have a 16600 and a 116600. The 16600 is more of a daily wearer and the SD4k an ‘occasion’ or going out watch (remember that - going out?!).

They’re both fantastic watches, but the 16600 feels a little more understated and subtle.

If I could only have one I’d keep the ceramic version though.

Which probably doesn’t help you!

To chip in (and ignoring the beguiling 1665 - the best SD ever made), IMO the best modern SD is the 116600/SD4000. By some margin, actually, given the movement advances, the ceramic bezel, the superlative bracelet... sorry

Master
    Blog Entries

I have had my 16600 for 16 years and it’s been a daily wearer for a good deal of that time. Maybe the bracelet isn’t as good as the ceramic models but I do prefer the watch.

I own the 126600 and I absolutely love it..... it’s big and chunky and looks massive on my puny 7inch wrists but that’s exactly what I want from it.... I wear it too raves and festivals and going on holiday and it gets chucked in the tray going through airport security..... it’s got scratches and dings and in my opinion is the perfect everyday beater and an added bonus is that it’s the true 50 year anniversary model as found out on the thread in sales corner only yesterday.

Of course if I want a little more refined I pop on my 116500LN

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wainy001 View Post
    I own the 126600 and I absolutely love it.....
    I'm a fan too. I found the previous iteration a bit too top-heavy, but the way the SD43 carries its weight on its bracelet is remarkable.

Master
    Owned both the 4000 and the SD43. For me, the 43 just feels and looks nice. None of that ‘toppy’ feel you can get with the 4000, and It sits better on the wrist.just more comfortable. As for the cyclops, Rolex say it was always meant to be there, but they didn’t have good enough glues.....
    Better movement too.
    At the very least, try several versions on your wrist. judge for yourself.
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th June 2020 at 16:23.

I owned an absolute peach of a 16600, tritium etc... it was beautiful but ultimately it was too small for my tastes. I’ve now got the 126600 and I find it better (for me), in terms of size and fit, whilst retaining great proportions... and I do like the splash of red text. I don’t think there is a bad option though, find the one that suits you and your needs and I’m sure you’ll be happy.

SD43 in two tone:-)

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    As for the cyclops, Rolex say it was always meant to be there, but they didn’t have good enough glues.....
    From the articles lve read, if any are to be believed, rolex don't seem to be able to get their story straight on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    SD43 in two tone:-)
    Good shout Raj. We need a full yellow gold version with a diamond dot dial.

If it's good enough for the Submariner...

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    IMO the best modern SD is the 116600/SD4000. By some margin, actually, given the movement advances, the ceramic bezel, the superlative bracelet... sorry
    Saved me a bit of typing there.

Master
    The SD43 looks the part but you need to try to see if you can find it comfortable...i had mine for six months and didn't get on with it however much i tried.

Small...ish wrists didn't help.

Thanks for all the information, my thoughts was the 16600 due to all whats been said above and importantly the cost, I do also really like the dial and text of the 116660.

I have only ever tried on a 116660 that belonged to a friend but for a minute only so apart from liking the look there was not really time to take more from the trial.

Its a shame the watch fairs are not open yet I could of perhaps tried various models.

Again thanks.

Craftsman
    A 16600 is really all the watch you ever need. I get some may not like the old bracelet but I find it has it's own charm and is very comfortable and light, I also prefer the pre ceramic bezels.

I own a SD43 mk1 and won't ever sell it but I do find I miss my old 16600 a little more than I should. I'd buy another but my Kermit provides the retro vibe for now.

I had a 16600 but sold it because it just felt a little top heavy compared to my 16710.

So I’d probably look for a 16610 or 14060 submariner if I was in the market.

Master
    There are a lot of factors to consider here. Firstly, your wrist size. If you have 8” wrists or above, the older reference SDs feel pretty small and underwhelming. Conversely, if you have smaller wrists, the 6 digit reference SDs might feel too hefty. My watch collection has shrunk pretty dramatically over the past 18 months, I have 8” wrists, and both the DSSD and SD4K remain in my collection. Contrary to most people’s opinion of the watch, my DSSD 116660 is my daily wearer. I can’t remember the last time I wore my SD4K. I find it extremely comfortable and, in the grand scheme of things, is the best value-for-money SD out there, if you give it chance.

You have to give the DSSD wrist time then it all makes sense,and size it correctly with the extention link out

Grand Master
    I have the 16600 and just love the size,but the others are nice too.

Let us know what you end up wearing.....

Master
    Just do what 90% do on here - buy it and if you don’t like it sell it on and try something else. I would start with a 16600, fantastic watch and very saleable, you should have no trouble moving it on if it doesn’t suit you. My daily is a 16660, very similar to the 16600 but tend to cost a little more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I had a 16600 but sold it because it just felt a little top heavy compared to my 16710.

So I’d probably look for a 16610 or 14060 submariner if I was in the market.
    Yes I can see the sense in that, I have a 16610 Submariner and although I fancies a Seedweller it does seem a bit look a like and I really like the wearing the Sub. I keep asking myself if I should treat myself to a PP pocket watch which is something I am determined to do when I eventually make it back to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    There are a lot of factors to consider here. Firstly, your wrist size. If you have 8” wrists or above, the older reference SDs feel pretty small and underwhelming. Conversely, if you have smaller wrists, the 6 digit reference SDs might feel too hefty. My watch collection has shrunk pretty dramatically over the past 18 months, I have 8” wrists, and both the DSSD and SD4K remain in my collection. Contrary to most people’s opinion of the watch, my DSSD 116660 is my daily wearer. I can’t remember the last time I wore my SD4K. I find it extremely comfortable and, in the grand scheme of things, is the best value-for-money SD out there, if you give it chance.
    Thanks, just under 7 inch wrist size.

I can understand why some people don't like the DSSD, but I absolutely love my 116660. I would love to add a 116600 to the collection too though, but I just cant justify the price of Rolex any more.
    Last edited by Maysie; 28th June 2020 at 12:54.

Just out of interest, why specifically the SD. Why not a Submariner? Plenty of models available with or without a date and the cases do tend to be slimmer due to the lack of the HEV etc.

I had a 16600 and recently part traded it against an older Submariner and I have to say the Sub is far more comfortable. People have commented on the top heavy element of the 16600 and although I wouldn't go quite so far, similar age Subs wear better in my opinion.

Just a thought.

Just out of interest, why specifically the SD. Why not a Submariner? Plenty of models available with or without a date and the cases do tend to be slimmer due to the lack of the HEV etc.

I had a 16600 and recently part traded it against an older Submariner and I have to say the Sub is far more comfortable. People have commented on the top heavy element of the 16600 and although I wouldn't go quite so far, similar age Subs wear better in my opinion.

Just a thought.
    perhaps this is why I prefer my 5513 and 1665 to my 114060, which feels massive and top heavy. The newer ceramic SD’s even more so.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't know if you are stuck on a SD but with thin wrists like that you may prefer a Sub for comfort.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Looking on E-Bay and Chrono24 it appears that the asking price for a full set 116600 is now £11.5k and upwards. I wonder what they are actually changing hands for ?

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Looking on E-Bay and Chrono24 it appears that the asking price for a full set 116600 is now £11.5k and upwards. I wonder what they are actually changing hands for ?

A couple have sold on here this year around the £10k mark.

Just a thought.
    In the past I have had a couple of Subs, one I sold because I needed the money and the other was so nice I was afraid to wear it as I wanted to wear it.

As to why I would like a SD I don't really know apart from I like the look of it, I like the text on the dial :) and a Rolex may be a nice watch to finish with in this crazy hobby/obsession.

Craftsman

Common problem

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    The SD43 looks the part but you need to try to see if you can find it comfortable...i had mine for six months and didn't get on with it however much i tried.

Small...ish wrists didn't help.
    A surprising high number of SD43 are on the Secondary market and probably one of the main reasons is the comfort fit which some buyers have just not been able to attain.

Ticks a lot of boxes the SD43 and with prices around the £10k on the Secondary market, it is certainly one to try on the wrist. Maybe not a everyday wearer as some have mentioned but well worth a look.

Master
    Just another opportunity to post this comparison shot, sorry... 16660, 116600, 126600, 126660.

I love SD's!!