closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Choice Of 2 Cigars

Craftsman

Choice Of 2 Cigars

I've searched for cigar threads and read several and now narrowed it down to the two cigars to buy as a birthday gift and wondered if anyone had tried the two.

Montecristo Petit Edmundo
    Montecristo No4

do you know if the person who you are buying it for has a preference on the type of cigar they smoke? Although both are made by the same factory, they are quite different smokes.

If not, and you simply want opinions, then I'd have the petit Edmundo (but then I prefer a larger ring gauge)

Why not buy one of each, they are not ruinously expensive?

Craftsman
    No idea which type he likes but looking for a box of 10 and know No4 is the most popular but also been suggested to me the Petit as well

If you send me over 10 of each I'm happy to be a guinea pig? DM for details

Master
    Another ring gauge fan here, so the PE for me.

My usual go to is a Partagas Series D No4 as an all rounder. And the Cohiba Robusto is always a good smoke. Both these are pretty full bodied though.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatx View Post
    No idea which type he likes but looking for a box of 10 and know No4 is the most popular but also been suggested to me the Petit as well
    With cigars, some people are quite fussy about what they smoke (brands / vitolas / wrappers), so if there is any way you could find out what he likes it would be a good plan. Is there anyone who you could ask who might be able to shed some light?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    With cigars, some people are quite fussy about what they smoke (brands / vitolas / wrappers), so if there is any way you could find out what he likes it would be a good plan. Is there anyone who you could ask who might be able to shed some light?
    Unfortunately no one that'd give the game away as it's his 60th.
    He's not a regular smoker mainly after his shooting with friends.

Master
    Blog Entries

Buy him a Castella or a Hamlet.

Unfortunately no one that'd give the game away as it's his 60th.
    The two cigars you've mentioned are both decent cigars, but with different profiles. It's possible he'd like either of them, but without any knowledge of what type of cigar he likes it's really not possible to help you very much. My one suggestion would be that before you spend £200-£300 on a box of 10 cigars you hope he will like, maybe have a look at a sampler (an assortment of different cigars on a theme) instead? Most cigar shops will have an assortment of samplers available. Or, as you say he usually smokes after shooting with friends, maybe a decent cigar case with a few choice smokes inside for his next shoot?

Master
    Assuming he already has a humidor even if only smoking after a shoot, as they will be dry as twigs in no time.

If not, maybe look at some humidor bags to keep them in tip-top condition.

A well kept cheaper cigar will smoke better than a dry expensive one.

The mixed case is a good idea, as he may discover something he really likes profile wise.

Cgars website is good for this sort of thing from what I understand if you don't have a local place.

Great shop in Windsor if local to you as well - in the station complex.

Of those two, it'd be the PE for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    The two cigars you've mentioned are both decent cigars, but with different profiles. It's possible he'd like either of them, but without any knowledge of what type of cigar he likes it's really not possible to help you very much. My one suggestion would be that before you spend £200-£300 on a box of 10 cigars you hope he will like, maybe have a look at a sampler (an assortment of different cigars on a theme) instead? Most cigar shops will have an assortment of samplers available. Or, as you say he usually smokes after shooting with friends, maybe a decent cigar case with a few choice smokes inside for his next shoot?
    Thank you for your tips and advise much appreciated

Ive had at least 20 MC number 4 and maybe 5 PE. They're both fine. I couldn't tell you much more about flavour profiles etc

The only thing I'd add is buy from a busy place who will have cigars in good condition. Some places will have awful condition cigars that come out of a big expensive humidor (I'm thinking airports)